Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1522296 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5616
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12630 on: April 28, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
Can't beat late 70s color.

Except with literally any other time period ever.

hence my sarcasm.

Which was obvious how?

Thanks for making my point.
\

Nope. Bullshit. I have no idea what you like or don't like. Some people genuinely, unironically like things. I thought perhaps you might be one of them. Clearly you're not.  But if you want sarcasm to be detected, you actually have to have your real opinion clear somehow.

Are you being sarcastic?  Or are you just being full of shit?
Imrahil has the tendency to be pretty caustic, so don't mind him. However, to his point, in text you can't tell if someone is being sarcastic.

MightyJack

« Reply #12631 on: April 28, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Anna Karenina
The affection I have for this novel rests primarily with Levin’s story, which acted as a contrast to the one told about the title character. Though often presented in film as a tragic, romantic figure (The Garbo version for one), I found novelized Anna selfish, duplicitous and often cruel. And the social circle she mingled with was equally as selfish – wearing their false faces, passing judgments based on superficial decorum and petty rules. Levin on the other hand -for all his rough edges and his maddening habit of jumping from one epiphany fueled cause to another- was at least motivated by a desperate search for authenticity and substance. So, does the film do justice to the book? 

Director Joe Wright has in the past, sacrificed meaningful character development for visual trickery and affectation –it’s what killed Atonement for me. But when Joe stops showing off and allows Tolstoy to breath, the film soars. While the contrast between Levin and Anna’s lifestyles/world views are not as well defined as in the novel, Wright and screenwriter Tom Stoppard ably illustrate the differences between lust and passion (Anna/Vronski) and love based on respect and character (Levin/Kitty).  As Anna, Keira Knightly takes these words and this character and imbues her with a nuance that rings true. I actually found myself feeling sympathy for her, as she is thrown under the wheels of the train both figuratively and literally.

The film boats impressive production values. The cinematography, detailed set design and costumes are sumptuous and thoughtfully rendered. The acting across the board is standout, I was happy with Domhnall Geelson (Brendon’s son) turn as Levin. Joe Wright’s direction can get too cute for his own good, but it ultimately doesn’t get in the way of a moving tale. The book is better but the movie still struck a chord with me.

Between this, Cosmopolis and Ruby Sparks…  My top film list of 2012 is proving to be radically different from the critical consensus, and Oscar’s nominated 9. I normally don’t play the iconoclast card; I just like what I liked, there’s no agenda to it. But so far I’m loving the unloved (or those greeted with apathy) while being less than impressed with what many were impressed with (Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Silver Linings Playbook. Good films yes, but none that would make my top 10)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:10:40 PM by George Harrison »

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12632 on: April 28, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
Wreck it Ralph

Loved it.  Watched the movie but still working my way through the extras, there's a lot.  Caught a lot of neat stuff in the background I bet you could watch it a dozen times and see something new.  Very clever.

Also loved the cute Paperboy short, think that was the title with the paper planes?  Just when I start to lose faith over Disney they do movies like these.

Well played Disney, well played...
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MUD CRICKET

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12633 on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
Can't beat late 70s color.

Except with literally any other time period ever.

hence my sarcasm.

Which was obvious how?

Thanks for making my point.
\

Nope. Bullshit. I have no idea what you like or don't like. Some people genuinely, unironically like things. I thought perhaps you might be one of them. Clearly you're not.  But if you want sarcasm to be detected, you actually have to have your real opinion clear somehow.

Are you being sarcastic?  Or are you just being full of shit?
Imrahil has the tendency to be pretty caustic, so don't mind him. However, to his point, in text you can't tell if someone is being sarcastic.

"caustic".  please.  irl he would change his attitude lightning quick.  as to his point he has no business deserving to be taken seriously with an attitude like that.  ...is he your friend by the way?  choose your words carefully, you are about to make an impression.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2594
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12634 on: April 28, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
Alright break it up, folks.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5616
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12635 on: April 28, 2013, 06:45:45 PM »
Aaah! It's the Mod! Scatter!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2594
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12636 on: April 28, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
Aaah! It's the Mod! Scatter!

GET BACK HERE!

I KNOW YOU, YOU PUNKS!

I KNOW YOUR PARENTS!
FINE

« Reply #12637 on: April 28, 2013, 07:41:42 PM »
boy,  you're in trouble now

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 292

« Reply #12639 on: April 29, 2013, 01:28:43 AM »
Gamera Guardian of the Universe

Its really neat.  A modern day Gamera movie.  Special effects are OK.  No annoying kid.  And no horrible dubbing.  And that lead Japanese guy was pretty sexy I thought.

Gamera is awakened after 10000 years to save humanity from the Gaos.  These Gaos are a lot worse than the original ones.  And their poo is gross.  Stupid humans see Gamera as the bigger threat because hes destroying the city and Gaos is only eating the citizens.  The humans finally realize the error of their ways.

And theres something about a schoolgirl with a stone that links her to Gamera.  But shes cute and not annoying.

Have the next 2 in the trilogy as well

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #12640 on: April 29, 2013, 04:32:08 AM »
I saw The Shining on Saturday.  I wanted to see it because I'd just finished reading the book on Thursday.  I thought it was a decent horror movie in its own right, but it didn't really feel faithful to the book.  I hate to be the kind of guy who says "the book was better", but it kinda was.  I think maybe that's because the book had more time and was better able to explain Jack's background and his motivations, and it made his descent into murderous rage seem more natural.  In the movie, Kubrick tries to show Jack being frustrated with his writer's block and the responsibilities of maintaining the Overlook, but it just doesn't play as well.  Jack Torrance goes nuts, but it doesn't really seem clear why.

I also hated what they did with Halloran in the movie.  He didn't do that much in the book, but at least he served a bigger purpose than just "distract Jack for a moment and provide a snowmobile for Wendy and Danny to escape with".

One thing I didn't quite understand was the ending. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4307
« Reply #12641 on: April 29, 2013, 06:34:18 AM »
Gamera Guardian of the Universe

Its really neat.  A modern day Gamera movie.  Special effects are OK.  No annoying kid.  And no horrible dubbing.  And that lead Japanese guy was pretty sexy I thought.

Gamera is awakened after 10000 years to save humanity from the Gaos.  These Gaos are a lot worse than the original ones.  And their poo is gross.  Stupid humans see Gamera as the bigger threat because hes destroying the city and Gaos is only eating the citizens.  The humans finally realize the error of their ways.

And theres something about a schoolgirl with a stone that links her to Gamera.  But shes cute and not annoying.

Have the next 2 in the trilogy as well
The girl is actually played by Steven Seagal's daughter.  Not sure who does her dubbed voice, though.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12642 on: April 29, 2013, 07:13:06 AM »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12643 on: April 29, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »

Nope. 

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12644 on: April 29, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »
People laughed at a few points of that movie in the theater I was at. The minotaur sequence was one of them (I think some folks walked out, actually).

As for The Shining itself, it is indeed a rather poor adaptation, and it's fairly consistent for King fans (and King himself) to not like it as much. Thing is, though, movies don't need to be the most faithful adaptations to be great. Especially in this case, where Kubrick pretty much just took it and went way off into his own world to make it a masterpiece in its own right.

I've always seen movie Jack as someone who was pretty on edge before he showed up to the Overlook in the first place (you can kinda see how tense he is in the interview scene). Kubrick toned down the alcoholism and played up the super-haunted-hotel, one where it only took so much to push Jack over the top.