login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582011 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12615 on: April 24, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »
No, I do not even know what they are?
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12616 on: April 24, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »
They're a series of historical novels, with a British imperial type intersecting with big historical events, in roughly the same time period. I really liked both those and Colonel Blimp, though the central characters are vastly different in alignment.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12617 on: April 24, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
They're a series of historical novels, with a British imperial type intersecting with big historical events, in roughly the same time period. I really liked both those and Colonel Blimp, though the central characters are vastly different in alignment.

Will investigate - thanks!
FINE

MightyJack

« Reply #12618 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »
Argo
Gripping, and while I liked it, I thought it pushed the manipulation/tension buttons too hard. After a while I was like "Just get 'em into the god damn air Ben!" Yeesh, I was half expecting a man to show up on the wing of the plane... just to keep suspense rolling.

As for the inaccuracies? Eh, this is art and entertainment; I have no issue with taking dramatic liberties as long as it works. The real Fitzcarraldo, for example, didn’t actually attempted to take a whole boat over a hill (he broke it down into sections), But I’m glad Herzog did.

Offline MUD CRICKET

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #12619 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:42 AM »
I just saw Argo as well. 

Its a string of suspenseless manufactured culdesacs because you know they get away at the end.  Will the producers answer the phone?  oh no! they walked away from the phone!  Oh! but they walked back and answered it just in the nick of time! etc etc

I liked the period costumes in the white house though.  Can't beat late 70s color.

Offline MUD CRICKET

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12620 on: April 27, 2013, 04:21:16 PM »
Can't beat late 70s color.

Except with literally any other time period ever.

hence my sarcasm.

MightyJack

« Reply #12621 on: April 27, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
I know the outcome of any historical/true story inspired motion picture, so for me it's more about whether or not they succeed in the execution of telling said story. Do you buy into it, it’s it artfully told or entertaining or whatever.

Anyway, I watched the classic...

Port of Shadows (1938)
French poetic realism, drenched in fog - this fatalistic romance features Jean Gabin and Michel Simon, and comes from the brilliant director/writing team of Marcel Carné and Jacques Prevert. That grouping alone makes it worth watching.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:39:21 PM by George Harrison »

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #12622 on: April 27, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »
Just watched Argo too. Was disappointed for some the reasons you guys mention. Just too mechanical overall. The film was totally lacking in mystery, a element that I think is needed in any film, but especially a suspense film. I can watch something like Vertigo (or almost any Hitchcock) over and over and feel the tension because it comes from the characters and NOT just the situation. So even if you know what will happen there's some lingering mystery about what it means to be human that lasts long after the denouement. Argo was just basically a father wins his family back story (something that is way too ancillary to the main plot line) and that's been done to death (see the Descendants). Boo. And somehow a film like The Master, which was one of the best American films I've seen in years, doesn't even get nominated.

MightyJack

« Reply #12623 on: April 27, 2013, 07:43:21 PM »
Good points. While I had problems with the Master, I was more impressed with it than Argo.

The Lady Vanishes
I also watched this (to try and clear my head for a blog post –an endeavor that has failed. I’m still in a fog.)

This 1938 production is one of my favorite Hitchcock features. A comedic thriller set on a train, where it appears an old woman has simply vanished into thin air. Nimble wit and quick pacing are the highlights of this adventure – Well, that and the clever, brilliantly constructed camera work that we have come to expect from the master.

Actress Margaret Lockwood is a total cutie, and she shared great on screen rapport with her co-stars: Michael Redgrave (who delivers his lines with impeccable timing) and Dame May Whitty as Miss Froy.  But the entire cast is a win - and while they are many, none are superfluous; each has a role to play in this plot.

Vanishes is fun and frothy -and while the script does wag a finger at those who are self serving, rather than self sacrificing (most come though when needed)- it isn't one of Hitch’s deepest thematically. I agree with Donald Spoto who wrote in his incisive analysis of the director’s work (“The Art of Alfred Hitchcock”. One of my film bibles) that of his early productions, the 39 Steps offered a more profound statement on the search for identity and the theme of relationship-as-journey. And that Sabotage was, “…arguably, the densest, tightest, most searching work of his British period.” Never the less, the Lady Vanishes is entertainment at its best, in Spoto’s words, it’s the “…perfect cinematic soufflé – meant to be savored not analyzed.”

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12624 on: April 27, 2013, 10:54:23 PM »
I saw The Place Beyond the Pines today. Basically it's the story of 4 different people, 2 sets of fathers/sons that is told in three acts. The acting by Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper was really great. I liked that the emotions, decisions, and drama were almost simplistic when compared to a lot of movies I have seen lately.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MUD CRICKET

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12625 on: April 27, 2013, 11:05:03 PM »

hence my sarcasm.

Which was obvious how?

Thanks for making my point.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12626 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:24 PM »
Village of the Damned

Enjoyed it.  Watched the remake with Chris Reeve.  This had to have been filmed right before his accident.  Also stars Luke Skywalker and Paul Hogan's wife.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12627 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »
ROBOCOP (on the big screen)

I love this movie in so many ways, never noticed he has OCP written on the sides of his head before.

Then Iron Man 3, so much fun! Shane Black's dialogue sounds so good coming out of RDJ's mouth.  Hope he doesn't wait another 5+ years for his third movie.

Inadvertent Miguel Ferrer double-feature!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline MUD CRICKET

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #12628 on: April 28, 2013, 10:08:35 AM »

hence my sarcasm.

Which was obvious how?

Thanks for making my point.
\

Nope. Bullshit. I have no idea what you like or don't like. Some people genuinely, unironically like things. I thought perhaps you might be one of them. Clearly you're not.  But if you want sarcasm to be detected, you actually have to have your real opinion clear somehow.

Are you being sarcastic?  Or are you just being full of shit?

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #12629 on: April 28, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
Now, kids. Kiss and make up over nice awkwardly huge glass of BIM juice.