Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536337 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12585 on: April 11, 2013, 05:24:59 AM »
When did we stop being able to quote people?

Had a really good response to Dragon all ready to go :(

Just right click on the quote button and open in a new tab OR (Better) go to your settings and turn off the quick reply option.
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12586 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
A good Huh? or not so much?

I hear it's a really fun movie.
Have you seen and, if so, did you like Tokyo? Whether you like it or not might intersect with your answers to those questions.

I think it had some good bit in it, as a whole it's a bit, kind of, a little, yeah.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12587 on: April 11, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
Yeah, Scott, just open a new tab for the quote. That works for me.

Or go old school and just do @Dragon at the start of your post.

Holy Motors
Huh?

Sounds about right. In a good way, of course.

See, I generally despise slashers, but love Halloween. All those slow moments are any thing but, for me, establishing the terror perfectly. I respond to the moments walking around the neighborhood, school, through dark houses, reminded of similar moments from my own childhood where I felt vulnerable to some unseen, lurking evil. I can remember crossing the street on my walk home in junior high because the hedges ahead were too darn high. I remember staring out the window while the babysitter was over, nervous about my parents being away.

I also love how Michael is evil for no apparent reason (something totally deflated by the sequels, and thrown out the door right away by the remake). Perfectly normal family, nice house, nice neighborhood. I admit, though, that my own response to the movie's tricks relies a lot on things like the age I was at the time I first saw it, and that I was growing up in a similar suburban setting with boogeyman legends, kid snatchers and other terrors festering in my young mind.

I think my problem is that for slashers in general I'm unable to get any true fear out of them. I'm so much more familiar with what that genre became (which was something to have a good time with, laughing at all the cliches and creative kills) then to treat it like any sort of "real" horror movie.

It may also be that, of the three big slasher franchises (Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street), the adventures of Michael Myers weren't my faves. I've always been a Jason man, and haven't even seen all the entries of the other two.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12588 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »
A good Huh? or not so much?

I hear it's a really fun movie.
Have you seen and, if so, did you like Tokyo? Whether you like it or not might intersect with your answers to those questions.

I think it had some good bit in it, as a whole it's a bit, kind of, a little, yeah.

I haven't seen Tokyo, but I believe the goat man is from Tokyo?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12589 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:01 AM »
Bloke in the Green suit, yes. :)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #12590 on: April 11, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »
Evil Dead - It wasn't anything special but nevertheless fun 90 minutes at the theater. Great sound.

Jurassic Park 3D - My nephews and I give it six thumbs-up.

Best of the Best 2 - When "We Hate Movies" featured this movie a couple of weeks ago, I needed to see it. It's as awesome as they expressed it was. Who's James?

The Slugger's Wife - yeah. :P

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12591 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and do something I should've done days ago, which is reprint my Evil Dead review from another website.

Spoilered for wall o' text:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #12592 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I loved the new Evil Dead. Loved the more serious tone, enjoyed the setup and the characters. Just saw it two hours ago. Already planning to see it again tomorrow or next weekend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:12:21 PM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #12593 on: April 14, 2013, 09:47:54 AM »
Lincoln.  Daniel Day-Lewis spent a lot of time as Lincoln looking down at the floor except when telling a story.  At some point however when they show the down and dirty of getting votes for the amendment abolishing slavery I was reminded  of Deadwood.  Hoopleheads.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12594 on: April 14, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Lincoln.  Daniel Day-Lewis spent a lot of time as Lincoln looking down at the floor except when telling a story.

In the olden days, they used to coat the floors with glitter.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12595 on: April 14, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
Managed to get in a few great films over the weekend.

Wages of Fear - Might be the single most tense movie I've ever seen. Set in a South American town where an American mining company has moved in, a bunch of deadbeats are struggling to get enough money to escape the town. An explosion occurs at one of the mines, 300 miles from the town. The mining company offers $2000 per driver for people to drive nitro glycerine to the site to put the fire out. The problem is, the roads are in miserable shape and the trucks aren't really equipped to carry the nitro, so there is a high likelihood of death. My wife and I loved this film. It has been remade in English twice, though I have never seen the remakes. [ur=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/l]The 1977 version was directed by William Friedkin and seems to be pretty well regarded. Might have to check it out.[/url]

Laura - One of the greatest noir movies ever made. So weird to see a young Vincent Price.

Royal Tenenbaums - Newly upgraded to blu ray. :)
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
« Reply #12596 on: April 14, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »
Seance on a Wet Afternoon.

Has anyone else seen this? Would love to discuss it with someone as the ambiguous ending was pretty interesting. Checked imdb and was glad to see at least one person had the same theory as me to what may have happened. The film starts out as a kind of weird but somewhat pedestrian goth/thriller in the Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, Bunny Lake, etc mode. Then it twists in an interesting way (not a lame plot twist but more of a character twist) and I loved the ending (ends up more Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf than Hitchcock).
Kim Stanley is pretty damn good too and deserved her oscar nomination.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12597 on: April 14, 2013, 10:40:49 PM »
Orson Welles famously didn't much like The Stranger (1946). No reason why he should, really, given that it was a test to see if he could be a tractable commercial filmmaker. Welles had a reputation as a profligate genius whose movies didn't make money. "Showmanship in place of genius," RKO vowed after showing Welles to the door a few years earlier. The Stranger, made for the independent International Pictures and released by RKO was delivered on time and on budget and in spite of this, the producers still saw fit to meddle with it, removing 20-30 minutes of now-lost footage. It was Welles's only box office hit, too, which must have stuck in his craw. This is why it's always dangerous to take an artist's word for the worth of his work. The Stranger is one of Welles's most entertaining films. It's also one of his darkest.

(Putting the rest under spoilers because it's long-winded)

You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12598 on: April 14, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »
I'm just gonna go ahead and do something I should've done days ago, which is reprint my Evil Dead review from another website.

Spoilered for wall o' text:

Excellent review. I've not seen it, but I have a fear I will react similarly.

If I end up loving it, well, you're an idiot.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12599 on: April 14, 2013, 10:54:39 PM »
Orson Welles famously didn't much like The Stranger (1946). No reason why he should, really, given that it was a test to see if he could be a tractable commercial filmmaker. Welles had a reputation as a profligate genius whose movies didn't make money. "Showmanship in place of genius," RKO vowed after showing Welles to the door a few years earlier. The Stranger, made for the independent International Pictures and released by RKO was delivered on time and on budget and in spite of this, the producers still saw fit to meddle with it, removing 20-30 minutes of now-lost footage. It was Welles's only box office hit, too, which must have stuck in his craw. This is why it's always dangerous to take an artist's word for the worth of his work. The Stranger is one of Welles's most entertaining films. It's also one of his darkest.

(Putting the rest under spoilers because it's long-winded)

This was among the Blu Ray I considered buying today, but the reviews say the sound quality on it isn't so great, so I bought some others instead (Scarlet Street, Le M├ępris, Le Cercle Rouge, Diabolique and Panic in the Streets)
FINE