Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1587241 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12570 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
There are sevenn Police Academy movies.  I am one movie away from the final one.  That I'm aware of anyway.
Talk about overkill.  One is good.  Two is OK.  Then they start sliding quicklly downhill.  But I am determined to finish them all.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12571 on: April 06, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
There are sevenn Police Academy movies.  I am one movie away from the final one.  That I'm aware of anyway.
Talk about overkill.  One is good.  Two is OK.  Then they start sliding quicklly downhill.  But I am determined to finish them all.

Then on to the TV series? Or the animated series?
FINE

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12572 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
TV series?  Cartoon??  You must be jesting

After all the side splitting humor its time for some Rifftrax.  Have a hankering for a Coffee House Rendezvous
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:11:15 PM by Mrs. Dick Courier »
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12573 on: April 07, 2013, 11:36:39 AM »
Just watched the Evil Dead remake. I liked it, although it isn't one I'll revist often like the originals. I did really like that there was no doubt about wether the stuff was really happening or just in her drug addled brain. I HATE it when movies try to be ambiguous like that! My main gripes were the over unsanitary nature of the situations. Yeah, lets take a drug rehab girl into a filthy cabin NOONE would go into for any reason, instead of a clean hospital! Also, I think it would have been better if 'hippie 70s guy' had been more forced to read from the book by the Deadite spirits than just doing so because he was being dumb at that moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And after the credits:

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12574 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
I tried to enjoy the Evil Dead remake (all my friends did), but it just didn't work for me. While the gore was wonderfully excessive and top-notch in execution, the whole rest of the movie was basically a cross between a needlessly complex setup with empty, soulless characters (heh) and far too much fanservice to the original (and also Evil Dead II, despite this movie being far too grim and serious to really draw comparisons). It was actually a little dull, at least to me.

Also recently watched:

Halloween (the original one). Time for me to admit something that may cost me my horror card: I just don't care much for this movie. I mean, I'm the sort who worships at the alter of John Carpenter at every opportunity, and I certainly recognize the craft of this movie and the countless ways it has influenced the entire genre. But just watching it comes off as entirely too slow for me. It could be that I just don't go for vintage slashers in general, of course (I recall being similarly unimpressed when I saw Prowler, just to grab a random example). It may also be because the stuff that made this movie so special and iconic have become so distilled into pop culture that it just doesn't have enough left to really play (all that slowness is meant to be building tension, and once upon a time that might've been the case. Not so much these days). I can't say for sure. All I know is, when it comes to Carpenter's works, this isn't one I really find a lot of need or desire to revisit. Despite it being one of the most important horror movies ever made that everyone should see.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:07:43 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12575 on: April 07, 2013, 01:57:25 PM »
I couldn't agree more with you about Halloween. Very very slow. I get why people who like slashers in general can respect it as the grandfather of the genre, but not me.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 530
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12576 on: April 08, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
Regarding your last point, I suspect it's because the world in 1974 wasn't the obsessive media-culture that it is in 2013.  The very fact of IMDB alone means you can track who did what movies instantly, while that was probably only the purview previously of critics and movie executives.

I've only seen Excalibur and Hope and Glory of Boorman's works, but I love both of them.
Wouldn't executives be who would stall Boorman's career? Of course, there's a lot more to it than that. Orson Welles got on someone's wrong side and spent most of his career piecing together epics - some of which he was never able to complete - over many years with duct tape and staples.

At any rate, I am glad it didn't happen. I also am a big fan of Excalibur and Hope & Glory, as well as The Emerald Forest. I just read on his Wikipedia page that Boorman "corresponded" with Tolkien in the 70's on a planned production of The Lord of the Rings until it was clear the production would be far too costly. Huh.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #12577 on: April 08, 2013, 06:24:56 PM »
Halloween (the original one). Time for me to admit something that may cost me my horror card: I just don't care much for this movie. I mean, I'm the sort who worships at the alter of John Carpenter at every opportunity, and I certainly recognize the craft of this movie and the countless ways it has influenced the entire genre. But just watching it comes off as entirely too slow for me. It could be that I just don't go for vintage slashers in general, of course (I recall being similarly unimpressed when I saw Prowler, just to grab a random example). It may also be because the stuff that made this movie so special and iconic have become so distilled into pop culture that it just doesn't have enough left to really play (all that slowness is meant to be building tension, and once upon a time that might've been the case. Not so much these days). I can't say for sure. All I know is, when it comes to Carpenter's works, this isn't one I really find a lot of need or desire to revisit. Despite it being one of the most important horror movies ever made that everyone should see.

I couldn't agree more with you about Halloween. Very very slow. I get why people who like slashers in general can respect it as the grandfather of the genre, but not me.
See, I generally despise slashers, but love Halloween. All those slow moments are any thing but, for me, establishing the terror perfectly. I respond to the moments walking around the neighborhood, school, through dark houses, reminded of similar moments from my own childhood where I felt vulnerable to some unseen, lurking evil. I can remember crossing the street on my walk home in junior high because the hedges ahead were too darn high. I remember staring out the window while the babysitter was over, nervous about my parents being away.

I also love how Michael is evil for no apparent reason (something totally deflated by the sequels, and thrown out the door right away by the remake). Perfectly normal family, nice house, nice neighborhood. I admit, though, that my own response to the movie's tricks relies a lot on things like the age I was at the time I first saw it, and that I was growing up in a similar suburban setting with boogeyman legends, kid snatchers and other terrors festering in my young mind.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #12578 on: April 08, 2013, 10:15:54 PM »
David Cronenberg’s remake of The Fly (1986) finds the director summarizing the themes and images of his early films before turning to more esoteric idioms in his subsequent career. Cronenberg has always been a capable director of actors, but this is the first of his films where that element moves into the forefront. Sure, there’s all the gore and weird science that fans of his early films could ever want, but all of that takes a backseat to the melodrama and tragedy of the character arcs. This is possibly a function of quality actors finally becoming available to him. For that matter, the framing of the story is ideal for actors. You have what is essentially a chamber piece, with three significant characters. You could stage it for the theater on one set (and, in preparing to write this, I find that Cronenberg has directed an opera based on the film). This is, famously, a “re-imagining” of the original 1958 film, though that has been overstated over the years. The seeds of this film’s narrative can be found in the little-seen Curse of the Fly (1965), in which the teleportation gimmick is used to create a host of deformities. Here, it’s given the sheen of twenty-odd years of biotechnological advances. But where that film--and the original 1958 film--are specifically about the gimmicks (characters are incidental), Cronenberg flips things around. This could be about any transforming disease. The director himself says it’s about aging, but you could just as easily view it from the perspective of a cancer patient or a man with Lou Gehrig’s disease. Fortunately for the audience, Cronenberg isn’t interested in the usual emotional landscape of the disease of the week film. He’s more interested in examining the disease itself. It’s a “disease with a purpose,” he proposes, and it has a transformative effect on the afflicted. The changes themselves are interesting, and because his hero is a scientist, he catalogues the changes like a scientist, fascinated by the novelty of it all.

Jeff Goldblum has always received the lion’s share of the acclaim for his performance as Seth Brundle, our not so mad scientist, which is proper, I suppose. He’s good in a difficult role that requires him to emote through layers of prosthesis. But the spotlight on Goldblum has tended to obscure Geena Davis’s contribution to the film, which is considerable. The movie is ostensibly told from her point of view (Cronenberg is not particularly disciplined about this here, but as a general rule this is true). While we are certainly privy to Brundle’s transformation out of her sight, it’s worth keeping in mind that hers is the only character with an interior life that is laid bare for the audience. We see the point of view of her dreams late in the film. We don’t get that from Brundle. The story is a two-pronged tragedy: there’s the tragedy of Brundle’s disintegration as the fly takes over, and there’s the tragedy of Veronica Quaife, watching her lover deteriorate until she has to euthanize him herself. All love stories are tragic, Cronenberg once said of this film: one lover dies in the end, or they drift out of love.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12579 on: April 10, 2013, 04:54:25 PM »
Love The Fly, haven't seen it in a few years. Wonder if there's a decent Blu Ray release?

Anyway, last night we watched Ministry of Fear directed by Fritz Lang.

Some how I have never seen any of Lang's other films, and I know this is a lesser of his works, but still, we really enjoyed it.

Quite a bizarre film noir where everything seems a little off, but it's really fun, and though the final reveal isn't really surprising, there are few unexpected and fun twists on the way. And the last line is one my wife and I will be quoting for a while to come, I think.

Fun and worth watching - The Criterion release is, of course, beautiful.
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12580 on: April 10, 2013, 09:57:44 PM »
Holy Motors
Huh?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12581 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
A good Huh? or not so much?

I hear it's a really fun movie.
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12582 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Honestly, I don't know.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12583 on: April 10, 2013, 10:01:45 PM »
Haha, well when it settles, let us know :)
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12584 on: April 11, 2013, 04:52:44 AM »
When did we stop being able to quote people?

Had a really good response to Dragon all ready to go :(
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)