Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1524533 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12465 on: March 08, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
I thought he was bursting into tears over the typo in the title of the last movie he watched.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2565
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12466 on: March 09, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »
How strange watching Skyfall at home it seems shorter vs. seeing it in the theater.  Did not seem overly long, and I sat and watched the whole thing, in the theater I was ready to leave by the time they started driving up to Skyfall.

Maybe it's because the Blu-Ray looks and the sounds so much better than watching it in the theater.

Or maybe it was the comfy chair, hot pizza, and the vodka (only 2 shots in a big glass of iced tea so only a slight buzz).  ;D

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12467 on: March 09, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »
Amelie

Genuinely loved it. Creative, touching, and beatiful.

Dredd

While it is a solid action movie, it really is just a sci-fi remake of The Raid. Still, it's worth watching.

Holy Motors

I will admit that the intermission was awesome.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12468 on: March 09, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »
It was a remake of a film that realeased one year after it (Dredd) was filmed? Pretty impressive!
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12469 on: March 10, 2013, 05:27:32 AM »
Holy Motors

I will admit that the intermission was awesome.
The bit with the return of Mr. Merde was fun until the whole burqua lullaby stuff.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12470 on: March 10, 2013, 07:29:22 AM »
Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory The film isn't something I've not seen before the evening wasn't so much about watching the film however a dn was instead about raising money for a fantastic old theatre in Detroit and hearing anecdotes from two of the cast of said movie.

The theatre is The Redford Theatre which is absolutely gorgeous and entirely run and staffed by volunteers so, obviously in need of cash on a near constant basis, not least because standard ticket prices are $5.

So they had a few showings of Willy Wonka including last night a special event in which Peter Ostrum (Charlie) and Paris Themmen (Mike Teevee) appeared and told anecdotes which was delightful.

Peter never really acted again and obviously isn't super comfortable in these sort of things (he's a large animal vet these days) but was very game and pleasant and has an awesome stache. The real star of the evening was Paris though, he very obviously loves this whole thing and had lots of fun stories; my favourite being about Julie Dawn Cole (Veruca) who apparently went through the set harvesting props which she was then later able to sell to finance things like her daughters degree. I love her character and I love her even more knowing that she genuinely did keep the Everlasting Gobstopper (the foundation of the degree). :)

I asked him if he knew about the NPH commentary for the movie and he'd not heard it but said he'd check it out (he very well might and if so, and he comes to the forum afterwards, hello Paris you were great last night :) ). A few people came up to me after that and asked about Rifftrax so a few more customers really potentially.

Then we, and by we I mean what seemed to be a capacity audience, watched the movie and it was lovely because everyone was having a fantastic time; the live organ recital before the film started and during the intermission (yes they have intermissions!) certainly helped.

Just a splendid night. :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 07:52:23 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #12471 on: March 10, 2013, 07:35:54 AM »
That does sound like a really wonderful evening. :)
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12472 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
Room 237 & Sound City

Just fantastic pop culture documentaries.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12473 on: March 10, 2013, 11:59:25 AM »
It was a remake of a film that realeased one year after it (Dredd) was filmed? Pretty impressive!

I can't keep all of these, "make your way to to top of a large structure while fighting a large number of bad guys to reach the penthouse that holds the main villain" movies straight.  ;)

The bit with the return of Mr. Merde was fun until the whole burqua lullaby stuff.

Yeah, I've never seen Tokyo! so I had no idea it was a character some people already knew. He was pretty funny.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12474 on: March 10, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
I think Lavant is a phenomenally entertaining actor but this film is mostly pants.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 514
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12475 on: March 11, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
In the wake of Werner Herzog's crazy remake of sorts, I decided to go back and watch the original Bad Lieutenant (1992, Abel Ferrara), which is a horse of a different color. It's a drama about a pathetic man who has sunken into a downward spiral of gambling, drugs, and the abuse of power, and the more he tries to get out from under the further he seems to fall. I cannot decide if Harvey Keitel is brilliant or terrible, but his method performance is totally unhinged and fearless. He is like an unhappy child with zero restraint, turning from unbridled anger to anguished whining at the drop of a hat. Keitel's angst-ridden cries, like the wails of an injured animal, are as iconic as Richard Widmark's laugh, and yet as brave and as sad as it is to see a man completely bare himself, body and soul, in all his ugliness, he is so overwrought that the method acting tends to feel a smidgen too self conscious. Ferrara's camera, favoring the long take and a kind of gritty, grainy image, allows Keitel to just let himself go, tripping over his words and repeating himself to no end, totally lacking the smooth finish that might romanticize a Hollywood version of the same character. The slow pace and long takes more or less obliterate any sense of a plot, holding the focus squarely on Keitel, who sinks so low that he can only go up, and the film attempts to redeem him through its oddly reverent depiction of Catholicism. This is, in a strange way, a deeply spiritual film.

For some reason, I was unaware that Stanley Kubrick had ever made anything of note prior to The Killing, but Killer's Kiss (1955) set me straight. What a shockingly good little film this is! Obviously made with a very low budget, this only contributes to its effectiveness: the gritty realism of the New York City streets -- the film looks so often like a newsreel -- makes it seem less like a film noir that has been staged than one that merely happened to unfold right in front of us. Kubrick's aesthetic perfectionism hasn't usurped his style yet, and for better or worse this film boasts an immediacy that you don't find so much in his carefully controlled others. That's not to say it's sloppy -- it's anything but, and features countless striking compositions: the men in silhouette who knock off the wrong guy in a back alley, the disembodied mannequin hands pointing down at Jamie Smith's panicked hero; the high angle shot of the dance hall entry staircase with the perfectly framed "Watch Your Step" hanging ominously above, to name just a few. I love the experimentation, from the risky crosscutting early on to that nightmarish traveling shot down the city streets in negative image. And the many flashbacks within flashbacks, the best being Gloria's (Irene Kane, basically Grace Kelly reinvented as a noir heroine) voice-over retelling of her bleak family history to a single image of her dead sister dancing ballet -- a clever image that gains dramatic weight as her story progresses. The movie is a triumph of inventive imagery. However, I suspect Kubrick may have run out of funds as there is a giant glob of the plot delivered through Smith's voice-over at the very end -- and his voice-over, or to be more specific, his voice, leaves something to be desired. My only other complaint is that the film isn't quite long enough. There's precious little screen time devoted to these two together which keeps the finish from working emotionally, though I love the early scenes in which they casually notice and desire one another through their apartment windows. There's so much loneliness and alienation in those images, compounded by the sad milieu of the dance hall (check out those faces) and everything else. It's not the pitch perfect masterpiece that is The Killing, but it's within arm's reach.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #12476 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Night of The Hunter Just before the baby arrived, we got a all regions Blu-Ray player so that we could start to buy Criteron and other region locked Blu Ray from the US. This and the next two were from our first US order. This was the first time seeing NotH and we were blown away. What an incredible film. Really gripping and beautifully shot. Robert Mitchum in it is amazing. This is my favourite of the movies I am posting about today by far.

Where the Sidewalk Ends - An Otto Preminger film noir that I hadn't heard of, but enjoyed immensely. Right from the excellent opening of the film, it is extremely entertaining. Makes me very excited for the copy of Laura we have in the mail, his movie before this one that was even better received.

Leave Her To Heaven - Very slow to start, but it really rams up as it goes along. The picture quality of the version we had wasn't so great, so that hurt it a little. Still, a fun film. Very dark.
I am a fan of several of the others you watched, but I highlighted these three because... just because. Definitely three of my favorites of the era.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #12477 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »
Whenever I see you've replied to this thread, Charles Hussein Castle, I hurry to read it, because your movie reviews are always so interesting, in depth and well written.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #12478 on: March 11, 2013, 05:45:12 PM »
Apparently, Carpenter just took a ten year break because he was pretty burned out on the movie industry, and wanted to take it easy for a while (or, to paraphrase him, play video games and watch basketball). And good on him there, he'd earned the right to do just that.
Carpenter is one heck of a great interview with lines like that one about video games and basketball. I enjoyed his comment regarding his involvement in the Halloween remake, also paraphrasing: "My involvement was to extend my hand and have a check placed in it".
Quote from: Relaxing Dragon
The Ward wasn't bad. It wasn't great, and it teeters over and behind the "good" line, but it wasn't bad. Definitely a step up from Ghosts of Mars, but too much of a journeyman effort and not enough of a "That's a Carpenter film" thing, ya know? Not just in terms of quality, but in terms of how unique and solid the atmosphere is (he was always fantastic at setting up atmosphere).
I agree with this. He's just basically there to direct, but without a real pro directing, it would have been a complete mess.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
« Reply #12479 on: March 11, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I enjoy reading everyone's thoughts as well. Lots of unique personalities with esoteric viewpoints.

I watched Trek 2 & 3, wrote a ton about 3, and slammed in to the wall with 2. I guess the other films have a great deal less written about them in the marketplace of ideas, so it feels like there is more to say. I put off posting either film until I had the chance to try and flesh Khan out to something more than one paragraph, but maybe I should just go with it and let the shortened length be it's own commentary.