Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583333 times)

Offline The Snape

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 22
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12360 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:20 PM »
Argo and it was surprisingly good despite all the horrific Daredevil flashbacks...

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12361 on: January 28, 2013, 05:48:42 AM »
Frank & The Robot.

Sweet, fun and touching.  Sort of Driving Miss Daisy with less racism and more The Score.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline pezdrake

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #12362 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
Frank & The Robot.

Sweet, fun and touching.  Sort of Driving Miss Daisy with less racism and more The Score.

The wife and I watched this over the weekend.  We both liked it and we liked that there was a twist that we in no way anticipated towards the end. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12363 on: January 28, 2013, 09:32:13 AM »
Starship Troopers

Not as good as Verhoeven's Robocop (though perhaps even more biting), but a very clever and fun action-packed take on propaganda films.  I love that the hints that the world it takes place in is a lot more fucked than is readily apparent.  My favourite of those is a Beunos Aries without latinos or the Spanish language (I'm surprised there are non-caucasian students at all), the scene in which a reporter brings up the fact that humans probably started the war, and the line "He's afraid" followed by insane cheering.  I love the Paul Verhoeven can make slick Hollywood action films with pitch-black satire of the media and war movies.  Even in his less successful movies it's obvious that while his films can be taken at face value as Hollywood trash, there's something a lot smarter and more ambitious beneath the surface.  Lately he's been doing movies in Germany again.  Anyone know if they are any good?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12364 on: January 28, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
Lately he's been doing movies in Germany again.  Anyone know if they are any good?
Germany?

Black Book was good, not seen any subsequent to that though.

I love Starship Troopers.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 11:12:34 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12365 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »
Starship Troopers is one of those films that I keep forgetting is as legitimately good as it is. I don't know who in Hollywood thought it was a good idea to let Verhoeven make the three "mainstream" movies that he did, but the rest of us lucked out. That said, pretty much all the folks I know who've read the book (military members mostly) don't care for the movie at all, since it's almost the complete opposite (tonally, at least) for what the book was all about. Also there was no power armor.

I saw Schwarzenegger's The Last Stand the other night.  I thought there were some decent things about it, but nothing that has to do with the lead character.  He's just too old, been out of acting too long for him to be an even passable screen presence any more.  It's the kind of film that someone like Bruce Willis, or even Stallone at a pinch, may have gotten away with.

Disagree, at least partially. He is pretty wooden at times, which I partially blame on having a director who's not native to this language (from what I understand when it comes to Arnie, he's got to be directed to within an inch of his life to really get something good, and part of that requires a really good, native grasp of the language. Maybe), but I think it was a good sort of comeback role. Unlike the understandably-pandering Expendables, this one was a lot more relaxed for him, and actually fit for him being as old as he is. It was a good sort of film to acknowledge that. Plus, I liked the rest of the movie quite a bit as well, even if it has more padding than it should (par for the course for that director, of course).

Now we just need to get that King Conan movie rolling...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:57:52 AM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12366 on: January 28, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
I don't think I've ever read any Heinlein.  Incest-loving?  Piers Anthony levels of sick or adult incest?  I haven't read Anthony either but have heard a lot about what he wrote so don't plan on reading anything by him.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12367 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
I don't think I've ever read any Heinlein.  Incest-loving?  Piers Anthony levels of sick or adult incest?  I haven't read Anthony either but have heard a lot about what he wrote so don't plan on reading anything by him.

Adult incest. Specifically, mother-fucking.

Which book is that in?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #12368 on: January 28, 2013, 01:38:40 PM »

Adult incest. Specifically, mother-fucking.

Which book is that in?

Time Enough For Love.  I think it's mentioned in his "future history" series (which I came across in The Past Through Tomorrow.).  He has a few good stories--I remember "The Green Hills of Earth" being quite nice.  But a lot of his stuff is not so good, and Stranger in a Strange Land is garbage.

I have only read Something Wicked this way Comes, and I found it pretty enjoyable. I started Starship Troopers but couldn't get into it.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12369 on: January 28, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
I have only read Something Wicked this way Comes, and I found it pretty enjoyable.
That would be because it's by Ray Bradbury. :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12370 on: January 28, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
I'm kind of with Rachel Bloom on Bradbury, except not to the carnal level in which she expresses her admiration. He is fairly ace however. :)

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12371 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Gimmie Shelter. It's like the rock and roll Zapruder film (I think Amy Tauben said something like that about it.)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12372 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »
The Clonus Horror unriffed

I like this movie.  Sure, it has its flaws, but its a good story.

One thing I'd wondered about watching the MST version was explained.  What in the heck "controls" are.  I used to think maybe they know each other in the "real world".  Untrue. 
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #12373 on: January 30, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »

I like this movie.  Sure, it has its flaws, but its a good story.

One thing I'd wondered about watching the MST version was explained.  What in the heck "controls" are.  I used to think maybe they know each other in the "real world".  Untrue. 

As a student of psychology (I have the worthless degree to prove it), I understood the "control" concept, but I can see how anyone not scientifically trained (or pseudo-scientifically in my case) would be left out of the loop on that.

Gunflyer

« Reply #12374 on: January 30, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
I bet when he was running away from the guards between gunshots you couldn't help but go "ow!" over and over.