Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1553630 times)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12300 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »
The Straight Story. In a way, since it's not like him at all, it's David Lynch's strangest movie. It's not like a Lynch movie at all but at the same time it has some Lynch aspects to it. It's a great, heartwarming film!

Gunflyer

« Reply #12301 on: January 18, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
Less of a movie and more of a documentary, I watched The Blue Planet. It's a great nautical nature film. It easily could have been hours and hours longer. That is probably the only thing I didn't like about the film, the length. I wish it would have just kept going.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #12302 on: January 18, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
Cave of Forgotten Dreams - Werner Herzog documentary about a recently discovered cave with some of the earliest cave paintings known to man.  It's quite beautiful, with some amazing moments, such as when they're told that the difference in age of some of the paintings is 5,000 years.

Try to watch this in 3D sometime, the way they used the shape of the cave walls adds an extra level of amazement when viewing the cave drawings.

We saw this documentary, too, but not in 3D. Sounds like it would be worth a rewatch; it would be anyway just because Herzog's films are so fantastic.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12303 on: January 18, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »
Oh meant to ask you, did you see his latest one, it didn't play anywhere near me but I thought if anyone had seen it, you and Onil would have. :)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #12304 on: January 18, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
He says the last one we saw was the death row doc.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12305 on: January 18, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
That's the one.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #12306 on: January 18, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »
I remember a little of it -- it wasn't as memorable as some of his other documentaries. Still, Herzog is very enjoyable no matter what. To me the best part of any of his docs (besides being very educational) is the way he treats his subject matter -- dancing back and forth across the line between respect and contempt.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5675
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12307 on: January 19, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
Battle: Los Angeles - I didn't think this was that bad. I was hoping it would be incompetant and hilariously bad, based on how panned it was on release. But it was just mostly uninteresting. Although, uninteresting because I don't really care for war movies, not that it was done particularly poorly. The sci-fi element here was almost irrelevant, they could have been fighting invading Russians for most of what went down.
  Since it is inevitably campared to things like Independance Day and others, I was VERY appreciative that we only spent time with soldiers. People who actually have a legitamate reason to be at the forfront of this fight. If I'm going to have thin cliche characters I don't really care about, at least have them be there for a goddamn reason. I am far more sick of the disaster movie cliche of a bunch of irrelevant random people that are nonsensically involved with the plot, than I am the cliche type dialog that Aaron Eckhart has to spout most of the time.
  The worst part was the overuse of shakycam. But to be honest, their goals were always simple enough that I didn't have trouble keeping track of where they were or what they were doing.

Oh, and really, a ground based war seems to be the least efficiant method of conquering an entire planet.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2614
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12308 on: January 19, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
Iron Sky

Almost turned it off about a half hour in, sort of glad I didn't, it does get slightly better as it goes.  There are a few moments that are funny, and the space ships are kinda cool. 

It is monumentally stupid, the only reason I kept watching was to see just how stupid it could get, and it didn't disappoint.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4410
« Reply #12309 on: January 19, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »
Iron Sky

Almost turned it off about a half hour in, sort of glad I didn't, it does get slightly better as it goes.  There are a few moments that are funny, and the space ships are kinda cool. 

It is monumentally stupid, the only reason I kept watching was to see just how stupid it could get, and it didn't disappoint.
Yeah. I was entertained, but there was something off about it that I couldn't put my finger on.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4410
« Reply #12310 on: January 19, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
Enemy Mine
I meant to finish this one earlier, but was unable to when it was removed from Netflix.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12311 on: January 19, 2013, 09:48:58 PM »
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (directed by the Shatner) starts with an arresting image of a mysterious rider emerging from a blasted landscape. It's a visual that I had forgotten in the years since I last saw it, and it gave me hope that my opinion of the film might change with a new viewing. It wasn't long before I realized why I had forgotten it. It was quickly swamped with sillier and sillier images. I didn't expect to enjoy revisiting this movie. My memory of it from when it was first released was of a crap grenade, and throwing myself on it in the name of writing wasn't particularly appealing. Alas, here I am.

The story here involves a renegade Vulcan whose Galactic Army of Light commandeers the Enterprise and takes it on a quest to find God. They're chased by a Klingon Bird of Prey whose captain is intent on testing himself against Kirk. It's nothing if not ambitious, but it's so filled with psychobabble and pseudo-philosophy that it turns ridiculous. The movie is also a paean to William Shatner's boundless ego.

Like the previous entry in the series, this movie goes out of its way to provide each member of the crew with some bit of shtick. Uhura's bit is the most out of character, I think, in which she does a fan dance to distract some bad guys. The bad guys, for their part, act like morons when they see this. Most of the other characters--including Kirk--come off as buffoons. Again, this is an extension of the modus operandi of the previous film.

What keeps this from the deepest depths of bad cinema is a consistently high level of production design and a few committed performances. It's certainly an attractive film. It goes back to Jerry Goldsmith's fanfare from the first film in the series, which is a welcome change from James Horner's tonally inconsistent work in the previous couple of films. Plus it ties the movie to The Next Generation, which was coming into its own at the time of this film's release. DeForrest Kelly gets the best scene in the movie, among the actors, in which his doubts as a doctor are brought to the fore. Leonard Nimoy's Spock is nicely conflicted, too, in a story that brings him into conflict with his own renegade half-brother.

It's the main concept that really does this movie in. The Enterprise used to go out to meet god on a regular basis when the original series was on the air. For that matter, the first film in the series has echoes of this plot, too.  The occasional religiosity of Star Trek has never sat well with me. When Shatner points out the absurdity of the film's conceit near the end of this film ("Excuse me? What does god need with a starship?"), he unwittingly points out the absurdity of his own film, but I find myself sympathizing with him, not only for the level of his unconscious critique, but also for putting my own skepticism into his own mouth.

In sum, Trek V combines the series' religious impulses with the buffoonery of Trek IV, and where that film was awkward, this one is embarrassing. To an extent, I kind of like the fact that this film exists. It stands as the movie series' equivalent of the television show's balmier episodes like "The Way to Eden" or "Who Mourns for Adonis." But, you know, those episodes were embarrassing, too.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12312 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:34 PM »
Iron Sky

Yeah. I was entertained, but there was something off about it that I couldn't put my finger on.

Satire is tricky, they managed to pull it off in little bits here and there but the rest fell flat.

I think it's because the jokes are pretty much all one-offs and stop being funny after you see them the first time.  They needed to do something more to keep the satirical connections funny.  Instead they seemed to go more towards regular drama or action.  The action was OK but the drama failed, or maybe they were going for regular comedy and failed so bad is came off as drama.  They should have just gone with even more crazy satire.

Or it could be the international nature of the production, maybe it gets more laughs in Europe.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12313 on: January 19, 2013, 10:54:31 PM »
I actually find a lot of the production on Trek V looks very cheap. The effects are godawful.  The only scenes in the movie that work for me are those with the Big 3 camping; it actually sums up their camaraderie pretty well.

I've always thought that movie had the cheapest looking interiors for the Enterprise.  Everything other than the bridge looks like it was slapped together in a few hours.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 629
« Reply #12314 on: January 20, 2013, 12:35:43 AM »
I went to see Jack Reacher tonight. On its own: the movie wasn't bad. There was a lot of generic Tom Cruise thriller stuff going on with a few moments of genuine suspense and fun...and I actually like Tom Cruise. I have absolutely nothing against the guy and think highly of him...but he is NOT Jack Reacher. I've become quite a big fan of the novels and the movie Reacher couldn't be further from the book Reacher. Not even just in the obvious, physical way - the mannerisms, the way the two talk, the dialog. There are a few moments where it feels like Reacher, but the majority of the film just feels like Generic-Action Star #5 of whatever. No complaints with the rest of the cast or with the directing...other than being rather generic; but yeah...no. This didn't feel like Jack Reacher and that's a shame. Honestly, though - I think it would have been better for Lee Child to have signed a television development deal. If he had gotten a chance to do with Reacher what Lindsley did with Dexter - and properly cast, of course - it would be one of the best television shows ever. Perfect for FX - saddled right up with Justified and SoA.
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.