login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538360 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12165 on: December 27, 2012, 06:16:22 AM »
The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn

This might be one of my favourite adventure films of all time, and proof that Speilberg still has that magic.  It was one of the most fun experiences I had at a theatre about half a year ago and it still held up on Netflix.  Really looking forward to the next one, helmed by Peter Jackson.  I just hope that Moffatt, Wright and Cornish comeback to work on the next one (might I suggest merging Red Rakham's Treasure with the Red Sea Sharks).  Even though I want a break from film based Lists of Crap after January, I really want to see a top 50 Adventure movies list just so I can put this somewhere in the top ten.

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #12166 on: December 27, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Zero Dark Thirty

There was just something that put me off about The Hurt Locker when I first saw it. It wasn’t able to grab me in the way that it seemed to for many other people. It could have been that problem of waiting around to watch it and in that time hearing it being praised almost nonstop, continuing to build my expectations. Zero Dark Thirty had that going in simply by being released in December, which didn’t apply to The Hurt Locker. The great thing about Zero Dark Thirty, unlike Bigelow’s previous picture, is that it’s incredibly dense with information and facts.

Where The Hurt Locker relied on an unknown story of an unknown person, Zero Dark Thirty goes in a completely different direction, chronicling one of the biggest events to happen in the 21st century. There’s that sense of familiarity that’s there from the start when it comes to this film, unlike the other. Because of that it allows the audience to connect even quicker with what’s happening on screen, essentially allowing tons of character development to happen. That’s not to say that Bigelow shy’s away from any of the facts, because they’re definitely there. There’s so much information that comes your way that it can actually be a bit disorientating if you haven’t been following the news closely. This can be said about the cast as well. It’s like watching a revolving door of talented performers, with various actors from television shows (John Barrowman, Mark Duplass) showing up as well as excellent actors who aren’t widely known. That connects to Edgar Ramirez, who showcased his talents brilliantly in Carlos, and is just as charming and effective here.

When Jessica Chastain came onto the scene last year in The Tree of Life, it was like you were watching a star in the making. With Zero Dark Thirty, only a year and a half after her big break, it seems like that star has formed. She’s strikingly good in the lead role here, and it’s going to end up being between her and Marion Cotillard in Rust and Bone as far as the Best Actress Oscar goes. Cotillard had two scenes in her film that were astonishingly poetic, which focused on her running through her old routine and subsequent visit to her place of work. Chastain matches that in a fiery exchange with Kyle Chandler that’ll have audiences cheering. The audience is able to take a journey with this character who has all the reason in the world to stop searching, yet never does. She gets beaten down emotionally and physically, and Chastain portrays that effortlessly.

As good as the inner workings of the agency and Chastain’s journey are, on the surface it seemed like big payoff would be the raid on bin Laden’s compound. Surprisingly enough, it doesn’t always work. It’s oftentimes confusing and very disorientating. Thankfully Bigelow doesn’t feel the need to continuously check up on those who aren’t present for the raid, and just focus on the SEAL Team Six. The buzz (both good and bad) surrounding Zero Dark Thirty has been massive. While it lives up to the hype on many levels, certain aspects don’t end up working. She relies too much on the raid, and when it doesn’t fully work, it stumbles. As it is in the rest of the picture, the movie ends on a high note thanks to two flawless scenes involving Chastain.
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #12167 on: December 27, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
A Christmas Story. This movie is overrated as fuck.

It absolutely is. I was forced to endure it once and was bored stiff. Overrated garbage.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12168 on: December 27, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »

It absolutely is. I was forced to endure it once and was bored stiff. Overrated garbage.

Thank you for this.  I have felt that way about this film since it came out.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12169 on: December 27, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »

I watched it for the first time last year (it's not well known here) and while I was really pleasantly surprised by it's tone I thought it was just 'okay'... thought maybe that was because I had no nostalgia for it.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12170 on: December 27, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »

I watched it for the first time last year (it's not well known here) and while I was really pleasantly surprised by it's tone I thought it was just 'okay'... thought maybe that was because I had no nostalgia for it.
I really like the movie (although I also have no nostalgia for it as I watched it for the first time a few years ago), but I do think it's overrated because of how overplayed it is on TV. Show me a station that plays Gremlins 24 hours a day, and THAT is a good Christmas station.

Offline HighRollerHydra

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #12171 on: December 27, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »
In the theater: Wreck-It Ralph.
On TV: Regarding Henry.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12172 on: December 28, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
Les Mis
I've never seen the musical, but I was familiar with the story and some of the songs...except for the barricade stuff, that was all new to me. 

I really liked it.  I'm amazed at the skills of all the actors involved.  I don't get how they can act so well while singing....in some pretty long takes too.  I thought that Dark Knight Rises was really good despite Anne Hathaway, but it think that Les Mis was really good because of Anne Hathaway.  Oh, and Sacha Baron Cohen was absolutely perfect.

One problem I had with it is that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  That just bugs me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12173 on: December 28, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
  That just bugs me.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12174 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »
  That just bugs me.

Offline Schu

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12175 on: December 28, 2012, 05:20:37 PM »
Django unchained...

props to QT for using the theme music from Trinity(terrence hill) during the closing credits. :clap:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12176 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:12 PM »
In the theater: Wreck-It Ralph.
On TV: Regarding Henry.
And...?

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12177 on: December 28, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
Django unchained...

props to QT for using the theme music from Trinity(terrence hill) during the closing credits. :clap:

Can't wait for that to come out here!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12178 on: December 28, 2012, 11:25:43 PM »
David Koepp's Secret Window is another avatar of the vogue for identity horror that was so popular around the turn of the millennium. As such movies go, it's not bad. It mostly acts as a showcase for star Johnny Depp, who dials back the quirks of his usual roles for a more nuanced character than we're used to seeing from him. It's a middlebrow horror movie that's light on the violence and long on psychological suspense. For all that, it's not bad.

Writer Mort Rainey is going through a bad divorce with his wife. He finds her at a hotel in the arms of another man, sending him into a spiral of depression and writers block. Six months later, writing at his vacation cabin (leaving his wife to their house until the divorce is finalized), he's been stuck. He spends more time avoiding writing than not. Soon, he has a new problem in his life, in the form of one John Shooter, a Mississippi farmer who shows up on his doorstep to accuse him of stealing his story. This puts a finger on Mort's neuroses, given that he was guilty of plagiarism at some point in the past, but not this time. Shooter gives him a manuscript that is nearly word for word the same as his own published story. Mort has proof of his authorship, though, in the form of the original magazine where it was published, a magazine that was published two years before Shooter claims to have written the story. Shooter gives him three days to come up with the magazine, or else. The "or else" escalates from mere intimidation to the murder of Mort's dog, the burning of his house, and other, darker crimes. Some of the things that Shooter does seem familiar to Mort, and soon, he has to confront a terrible truth about himself...

One of the opening shots of Secret Window finds the camera moving through Mort Rainey's cabin, spotting Rainey sleeping on the couch reflected in the mirror, and then moving through the looking glass. I admire opening shots that summarize the movies that follow them, and this one is better than most. It tells you everything that is going to happen with significant props (that, of course, are meaningless in the beginning) while summarizing the theme of the movie. It's elegant. This is a film about secret sharers, of course. It's about guilt and expiation, it's about who its protagonist is when he looks in the mirror. I like to think that it's a clever revision of writer Stephen King's earlier novel, The Dark Half, another story about a writer with a secret sharer and about the id that is exposed during the act of writing (particularly when writing about horror and violence). That this movie co-stars Timothy Hutton as Amy Rainey's lover is surely an accident, but it's suggestive of a direct relationship with The Dark Half, given that Hutton was the lead in the movie version of that book. Movies are sometimes composed of happy accidents. Fortunately, this is a better story with a darker ending.

This is a film that turns on a single, largely transparent plot turn. It's a gimmick, really, but it manages to work in spite of its gimmick because of Johnny Depp. Mort Rainey is a stock character (particularly in movies based on Stephen King stories) that comes to life in this movie because Depp brings unconventional acting choices to the role. This isn't a quirky character of the sort Depp is used to; rather, Rainey is an individual rather than a type. This is hard to do in movies, but it's something at which Depp excels. The intonation of some of Rainey's bitterest lines ("this is not my beautiful house. this is not my beautiful wife.") and the falling of the mask at the end to reveal the chaos behind Rainey's eyes would elude a more conventional actor, but Depp sells it. He's aided in this by John Turturro, who is an odd choice to play Shooter. Turturro - who also has a history of playing cracked writers - nails the genteel southern menace Shooter embodies. The rest of the cast is good, too, but this is really a two character drama, and the fun of the movie is watching them play cat and mouse.

I like the ending of this film, and even though it's a "twist" ending of the sort beloved of contemporary identity horror, the movie plays fair with the audience. The reason I like the ending is that it leaves the lid off of Pandora's Box without gathering up the horrors and putting them back inside. This is not a film where good wins out and where the family unit is put back together again or where there is some kind of forced redemption in the end. When Mort Rainey "revises" his story at the behest of Shooter the film is subverting all such things. Even though this film is, at its heart, a middlebrow horror movie for meat and potatoes filmgoers, it's not film that panders or comforts its target audience. It's an example of a popular film that realizes that an ending need not be happy in order to be satisfying.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12179 on: December 29, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
The latest Ghost Rider.  Crazy Vengeance guy or whatever....

Wow, Cage really sucks in this one, it's too bad because the rest of the cast isn't that bad.  I'm guessing they told Cage to act like a goofball in this one?