Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1587638 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12120 on: December 17, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I liked this movie in spite of myself. I do agree that the "serious" plot is misplaced, but I fucking LOVED the Sam Jones stuff.  I think I have to admit that I find Seth McFarlane kind of funny.

Yea, I always had a soft spot for McFarlane's stuff. I think he can be terribly hit and miss... but he's pretty much only in it for the throwaway gags... And he hits enough for me over 22 minutes to keep me at least a casual viewer of American Dad / Family Guy. I was a bit let down by "Ted" after it got some positive word of mouth from reliable friends of mine... No need to ever see it again, but I didn't feel robbed for the $5 matinee showing.

... and I know the last movie I watched has been eagerly anticipated by everybody around here...

A Fairly Odd Christmas

A live action, made-for-TV, Christmas movie based on the Nickelodeon animated series "The Fairly Odd-Parents". This is just screaming "must see", ain't it? Truth be told, I found it pretty enjoyable. The story isn't exactly groundbreaking... but the leads are all pretty good. The guy who plays the antagonist, Mr.Crocker, really nails the animated character quite well and delivers some legitimate laughs. Of course, this is not something that I'd recommend anybody seeks out... But sitting on the couch watching it with my two sons and I found myself having more fun with it than I could have expected.

Also, as a neat little MST3K connection... The guy who plays the main character's father (and also voices the same character in the cartoon) landed the conveted role of "Club Scum MC" in Hobgoblins.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12121 on: December 17, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
No, it was "iced chicken"
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline NashaWriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 276
  • Watch what you say MONKEY BOY!
« Reply #12122 on: December 17, 2012, 05:58:39 PM »
Not-uh, it was Pig Stickers.
No Matter Where you go, there you are.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12123 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
FISH PICKERS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12124 on: December 18, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
Savages

Just OK.  At least their fake ending was better than Breaking Dawn's

Benecio Del Toro is good, but he's good in just about anything.  And I'm still waiting for Stone to do another movie as awesome as Natural Born Killers.  Beginning to think it will never happen.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12125 on: December 18, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »
Santa Claus: The Movie

There's just so much wrong with this movie, but I still watch it about every 5 years.  There are a couple of reasons for this.
1) Nostalgia triggers.
2) Nothing else.

Seriously, the acting by almost everyone is atrocious, the sets are bizarre, the pop music is awful, and it just screams "80s."  In  a not-good way.

There are a couple of neat matte paintings in it, and some pretty "sparkles" effects, but holy cow. Every time I watch this I think, "Why did I watch this again? It's awful." 

I just had to watch this as my wife just read/mocked the Novelization on her podcast
( http://www.thebookwasbetterpodcast.com/2012/12/episode-33-santa-claus-movie.html ) A truly bizarre film - And the first half is a slog!
FINE

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12126 on: December 18, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
THX 1138: The Director's Cut George Lucas loves to mess with his movies with director's cuts. Anyways, the film is pretty good. It reminds me of Logan's Run, except I think Logan's Run was better. I'd be interested in seeing the theatrical version.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 530
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12127 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:45 PM »
Hellboy II: The Golden Army has a pretty standard storyline for an action fantasy, but that's genre for you. All genre movies are pretty predictable, and this one is no different. You know in pretty short order how this film is going to turn out. But that's only plot, and, as someone once said, plot is only an excuse. Lord knows this movie understands that, because once you discard the plot, the individual scenes and individual moments are quite special, and the meaning of what happens to the characters goes pretty far beyond what you can glean from just anticipating how everything turns out in the end.

Sure, you know going in that in order to kill Prince Nuada, someone was going to have to kill Princess Nuala. Sure, you know that Hellboy is going to defeat the Golden Army by challenging Nuada's right to rule. You get that in the first ten minutes of the film (and if you don't, you just aren't paying attention). What you don't get is the relationships between the characters. These are unpredictable and largely independent of the plot. You don't anticipate the lovely dual motif of saving the life of the one you love even if it means the end of the world. You might anticipate the great tentacled monster that rises up over the city in this movie, but you don't anticipate what happens when it's killed. And you don't anticipate the film's many visual wonders, from the troll market to the elemental's fate to the Angel of Death. To a one, these are fabulous. But it's the smaller wonders that really make the film click. I think the sight of Hellboy and Abe Sapien drunkenly singing Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Depending on what I've seen lately, I usually name Miller's Crossing (1990) as my favorite among the Coen Brothers' movies. This alternates with Fargo, usually, but lately I've been drifting towards No Country for Old Men.

Miller's Crossing is a reworking of Dashiell Hammett's Red Harvest, which itself might be my favorite of all hard boiled novels. As in Hellboy II, the plot is incidental, intricate and twisty turny though it might be. I could say that the movie is about Irish gangsters, but what it's really about is Gabriel Byrne chasing his hat. Early in the movie, he even comments that there's nothing stupider than a man chasing his hat.

The Coens have built a formidable gallery of grotesques over the years, but none of their other movies is as packed with them as this one, whether it's Jon Polito descanting on criminal ethics or a street urchin swiping the toupee off the head of a corpse. The parade of characters--none of them leading-man or leading-woman material--is endlessly fascinating. And after all these years, I still think this movie contains the Coen's best-ever sequence, in which Albert Finney defends himself against would-be assassins while "Danny Boy" plays on the soundtrack. It's contrapunctual music at its finest.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12128 on: December 18, 2012, 10:50:12 PM »
I think the sight of Hellboy and Abe Sapien drunkenly singing Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" is worth the price of admission all by itself.

This is precisely the point the movie turned from something I was enjoying to something I hated.

Miller's Crossing is my farouite movie though.
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12129 on: December 18, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
I don't think I could name a movie I hate.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12130 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:32 PM »

Shame you're unable to feel passionate about things.
FINE

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 530
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12131 on: December 18, 2012, 11:07:05 PM »
I think the sight of Hellboy and Abe Sapien drunkenly singing Barry Manilow's "Can't Smile Without You" is worth the price of admission all by itself.

This is precisely the point the movie turned from something I was enjoying to something I hated.

Well, 50% isn't so bad.

We'll always have Bernie Bernbaum, Grug.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12132 on: December 18, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »

Well, 50% isn't so bad.

We'll always have Bernie Bernbaum, Grug.

Are you giving me the high hat?

Youse all fancy pants.
FINE

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12133 on: December 19, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
Introduced the girlfriend to UHF for the first time. She's a fan of his stuff anyway, but I was still very hesitant if not at least hopeful (because, c'mon, it's quite a kooky movie). Turns out she loved it! Howling and convulsing with laughter. I've seen it a few million times, and, watching it through new eyes, it was refreshing to see some jokes hold up and others not age so well ("Town Talk" seems more Jerry Springer now even tho it was years till that show was created). Right after this, I found an HD copy online. Guess I'll just hafta rewatch it.  ;D

Tombstone - Saw it earlier this year for the first time and a second time tonight (not my choice). When the guns are blazin' and Doc Holiday is onscreen, it's at its best. I say you could cut out 20mins of the beginning to make a better movie out of it. The dialogue is either sharp and fun or as cliche as it gets. It's also a real joy to see all the people who went on to become stars (a younger, fatter Billy Bob Thornton and an unaged John Locke from "Lost" stand out). I liked it ok. It's just been overhyped as the greatest Western ever for me, so that's to be expected.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12134 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »

I can.