Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527616 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12105 on: December 13, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Amazing.
Interesting as fables went though we both kept wondering which camp it was supposed to be, it seems like Theresienstadt bit it has a gas chamber, which is just a weird mash-up.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12106 on: December 13, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
The Do-Deca-Pentathlon - Yeah, pretty good. Not my favourite Duplass brothers movie, but a very easy watch. A movie for brothers, especially brothers who have a bit of rivalry. My wife said she enjoyed it, but it didn't really resonate with her.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4993
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12107 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
Shut Up, Little Man!

An interesting documentary about 2 guys who end up recording their room mates arguments, which becomes an underground sensation in late 80's San Francisco.  What I liked about it is that it doesn't really make any judgements, and it's hard to decide whether what these guys did was immoral.  It's certainly captivating and while there are lots of stories about our voyeuristic culture, I think this is a really interesting case.  I don't really find the recordings funny like others do, but they are certainly facsinating.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12108 on: December 14, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »
Ray and Pete!

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #12109 on: December 15, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »
Les Misérables (2012)

Much has been made about the singing in the film, specifically that almost all of it (save for a few lines) was sung and recorded directly on set as the actors performed. Even if you haven’t seen the countless promotional packages surrounding the film telling you about this, chances are you’d be able to pick up on it by just listening. There’s subtle things that come through really well with this, specifically the inclusion of real emotion flowing through many of the actors while they’re singing. While Hathaway’s rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream” is worth the price of admission alone, that entire segment of the film is excellent. Hathaway’s emotion comes through here brilliantly, and it could have easily been lost in translation if it was lip-synced.

With all of the great things happening throughout Les Misérables, the film has some serious issues. The pacing throughout the second half of the movie is particularly bad. The dividing line makes the film feel like two completely different movies. This happens after Valjean and Cosette (Isabelle Allen) escape, and picking up right with the introduction of Eddie Redmayne’s character, Marius. The first half of the film sets up the main storylines so well that when these new characters are ultimately introduced a long while into the movie, they just aren’t as comeplling. As complex or strong as the ideas and plot points might be, it doesn’t hold a candle to the human drama created early on by Hathaway, Jackman and Crowe.

Tom Hooper’s follow up to his best picture winner The King’s Speech is a lot easier to swallow. He’s taken on a huge challenge in trying to bring one of the most popular musicals ever to the big screen. He does a great job of crafting a film that’s going to be scrutinized endlessly by its hardcore fans, as well as any newcomers. Hooper and screenwriter William Nicholson do a great job of tightening the film as best they could. While it’s second half doesn’t hold a candle to its first, Les Misérables is still an enjoyable experience, if only for the performances by all of the actors, as well as hearing this music that has endured over so many years on the big screen.

The Cabin in the Woods

Writers Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon don’t take there time in setting up the premise. Right off the bat they let the viewer know that this is a different kind of horror film, and to leave your expectations at the door. They do this by introducing us to characters that weren’t even present in the film’s trailer. They haven’t just thrown in unqualified actors to pad out this part of the film, but rather fill this part of the movie with the film’s most seasoned actors, like Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford, while also throwing in the lovely Whedon alum, Amy Acker. What Goddard and Whedon do so well during this part of the film is planting these seeds of doubt within some of those characters’ minds as to what they’re participating in.

The pacing throughout the picture is near perfect. There’s nothing that needs to be trimmed and whenever the film begins to slow, it picks right up again. It doesn’t often act against its horror roots, and because of that the deconstruction of the genre never feels like someone taking it apart and putting it back together, but rather a seamless observation of it. The film moves at such a fast pace that when the movie acts like it’s going to end, you actually believe it. This makes the succession of events that take place soon after so much more thrilling and tense. This final quarter of the film is like going through a haunted house; opening one door and being terrified, then scurrying along to the other to be just as amazed and frightened as you were a few minutes ago.

There’s been a lot of attempts at deconstructing horror films, and oftentimes they can become as tedious as the films they’re channeling. Like many of those films, Goddard and Whedon present the usual scenarios and turn them on their head, but they go even further with that in ways that the audience shouldn’t expect. That is, unless the viewer has heard about the movie from a secondhand source. The Cabin in the Woods isn’t your typical horror film, and anyone knowing Whedon’s previous work (not so much Goddard) should expect something completely original. It’s never outrageously out there in terms of its plot, but seeing these events on screen are what make it all worth while. What’s so fun about a movie like this is, especially in comparison to almost all other mainstream horror films, is that you don’t know what to expect, and in that regard, The Cabin in the Woods delivers.
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12110 on: December 15, 2012, 08:22:48 PM »
Saw The Hobbit. Loved it. If you liked the Lord of the Rings movies and you liked the book, you'll love it. The encounter between Bilbo and Gollum just NAILS it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12111 on: December 15, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
Hard to say, since I loved Jackson's treatment of the LotR books so much. I loved the book and I thought it was wonderfully and faithfully told, with the beautiful score and attention to detail I've come to expect from the LotR movies. If you feel like Jackson stretches things out for too long, you might have the same complaint here.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12112 on: December 15, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
Tyrant gets sick at 3D movies, and you can't see it at 48fps in 2D. There were quite a few scenes that would look pretty cool in 3D. I'm planning an outing with my brother later this week to see it in 48fps 3D.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12113 on: December 15, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
Did you see it in 48fps? 3D?

I saw it in 3d. It's the subtle 3d with a sense of depth, but nothing really flying out and reminding you about the glasses. You could skip the 3d and not miss anything.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #12114 on: December 15, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »
Star Wars. On Laserdisc.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12115 on: December 16, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
The part with the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
in 3D was pretty sweet.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #12116 on: December 16, 2012, 06:34:20 PM »
The Pianist. Excellent and heartbreaking.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12117 on: December 16, 2012, 06:40:50 PM »
Three movies yesterday:

Skyfall - Tremendous fun. Pretty much in line with the last two. We enjoyed it a lot.

Ted - Excruciatingly unfunny. And the third act tries to make you care but has not earned it at all. If I laughed more than twice, I'd be surprised.

Paranorman - I liked the style a lot. And mostly enjoyed it, though thought it was a little too slow and dragged out a little towards the end. Weirdly dark for a kids movie.
FINE

Offline NashaWriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 276
  • Watch what you say MONKEY BOY!
« Reply #12118 on: December 16, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
I saw the Hobbit Friday because the boyfriend was really really excited about it. To be honest, knowing it was 3 hours long of something I know nothing about, I was less then excited....actually, I was planning on falling asleep. Surprisingly, It kept my attention thru-out all 3 hours, I loved all the drug references and Ian McKellen was glorious. All this and I had no idea what was going on thru-out most of the movie. (I'm a complete Tolkein newb.)

All in all, in the movie was great fun and I'm looking forward to the next one.
No Matter Where you go, there you are.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12119 on: December 17, 2012, 02:01:08 PM »
Killing Them Softly
It was interesting.  They did a lot of stuff pretty cool visually.  Some of it was a pretty cliched "let's make something graphically violent seem beautiful", but some of it worked.  The movie is set during the economic collapse of 2008 and the run up to the election.  They really dwelt on that, and for most of the movie, it didn't seem to fit.  All the characters were listening to this stuff on the radio, but not talking about it at all.  I'm not sure if it pays off in the end.  Brad Pitt was great.  It's worth seeing, but don't expect a typical mobster movie.