Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523582 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12090 on: December 10, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
Warm Bodies (in theaters next Feb)(yes, I'm special)
Most people would probably dismiss this movie as Twilight with zombies, but it is not.  It is much better than that.  The movie knows that it has a silly premise and pokes fun at itself quite often.

This isn't the best zombie comedy, but it does pretty well for itself.  Rob Cordry is very funny and steals every scene he's in.  Great use of music as well.

There are some things that could have gone better.  Mostly plot holes and excessive exposition.  The narration is the major source of jokes in the beginning of the movie, but it was also used to explain things far too much.  Show don't tell.  Throughout the movie there are a number of things that don't make sense (Why would she do that? What's taking so long? Why did they go there?).  The acting of the zombies is also a bit inconsistent. 

Overall, it's worth seeing.  I can see how some of the flaws would be too much of a hold up for some people, but I had fun.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:57:51 AM by Kete »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12091 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:19 AM »
The Lord of the Rings
It took me two weeks, but now I'm ready to watch the Hobbit!  I have to say, I think this is my favorite movie.  This movie evokes a lot of emotion in me.  It came out when my wife and I were first married, and when I watch it, it transports me back.  Also, when I watch Return of the King, I am on the verge of tears the entire time.  I don't expect the Hobbit to be as good, but I just hope it will take me back to the same place.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12092 on: December 10, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
Commando

Finally got around to watching this one.  Fun, I guess, but Rae Dawn Chong is ear-bane.  Also, a very bizarre performance by Vernon Wells.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #12093 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
Commando

Finally got around to watching this one.  Fun, I guess, but Rae Dawn Chong is ear-bane.  Also, a very bizarre performance by Vernon Wells.

Yeah, Rae Dawn Chong was annoying.  But Vernon Wells?  Come on, he was great.  His performance as Bennett was high camp at its best.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12094 on: December 10, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
Commando

Yeah, Rae Dawn Chong was annoying.  But Vernon Wells?  Come on, he was great.  His performance as Bennett was high camp at its best.

It took me until the end of the movie to realize he wasn't actually supposed to be wearing chainmail, it just really looked like he was.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12095 on: December 10, 2012, 03:27:14 PM »
Most people would probably dismiss this movie as Twilight with zombies, but it is not.  It is much better than that.  The movie knows that it has a silly premise and pokes fun at itself quite often.

This isn't the best zombie comedy, but it does pretty well for itself.  Rob Cordry is very funny and steals every scene he's in.  Great use of music as well.

There are some things that could have gone better.  Mostly plot holes and excessive exposition.  The narration is the major source of jokes in the beginning of the movie, but it was also used to explain things far too much.  Show don't tell.  Throughout the movie there are a number of things that don't make sense (Why would she do that? What's taking so long? Why did they go there?).  The acting of the zombies is also a bit inconsistent. 

Overall, it's worth seeing.  I can see how some of the flaws would be too much of a hold up for some people, but I had fun.

Looking forward to this.  Love me some John Malkovich.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12096 on: December 10, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
Also love me some Jeff Dunham

Oil and water here
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12097 on: December 10, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »

Looking forward to this.  Love me some John Malkovich.

Nice review Kete, I'll give this a look
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Oh Hi!

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 1
  • Remarkable!
« Reply #12098 on: December 10, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
The Last Godfather, a try hard mob comedy by none other than Hyung Rae Shim of D-War fame. It was painful to watch, even Harvey Keitel could not save it from being a C-grade slapstick film. The only thing which kept me watching was the similarities of the main character to a friend of mine. For the masochists out there.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2597
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12099 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:32 PM »
Lawless - Very good, but not amazing. Tom Hardy was incredible, but the movie follows Shia and defies you to care about him.

5 Year Engagement - Really good, but on the long side. Maybe from necessity? The first hour is building up a fantastic relationship that you care about, the next hour is miserable and then tying it all up at the end. I liked it a lot, but again, didn't love it.
FINE

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12100 on: December 12, 2012, 11:45:17 PM »
12/12/12

I bailed on the Sandy concert after about the 6th hours of Billy Joel songs, and popped this in instead. Yes, I rented it purely for the date.

It's an Asylum film.

Yeah, I'll continue.

Evil demon baby is born. Creepy ethnic guy chased after the baby all through the film, while the kid racks up a higher and higher death toll. Pretty much every person the week old child comes across dies a horrible death. And sometimes folks die not even remotely near him. In the end, lightning crashes and a new mother cries. Her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her ey... Oh, wait. Wrong thing. Lightning crashes and a random priest shows up to sacrifice himself to stop the child. Cue montage of everyone who died.

Okay, one- evil demon baby is quite honestly the ugliest child ever. (And he kills someone for saying so in the film. Yes, still about 6 days old at that point.) Evil baby is also not quite the sharpest knife in the drawer. It kills a bunch of folks by biting them to death. Usually when a newborn has teeth, they pull them. But for some reason they don't. Even after the deaths of the doctor and nurse in the delivery room. You might think they'd put him under observation or something but nope. Just head on home.

Evil baby also has psychic mind control and telekinesis too. For example, when child services comes to take the child away after the third person near the kid dies, evil baby uses his telekinesis to garrote the welfare agent with her seat belt. While she is driving at highway speeds. And while the evil baby is inside the car. I would think the antichrist would be slightly smarter than that, but I guess not.

In any case, it's a complete bore. Mom doesn't seem the remotest bit concerned that her baby keeps killing people. Including members of her own family. Nor does anyone seem concerned about the baby moving around on its own in the first week of birth. Just dreadfully boring. Skip it.

I'll also note that the Asylum did a film last year called 11/11/11. Frankly I wouldn't put it past them to do a 13/13/13 next year. Yes, they need to rewatch "Learning to Use the Calendar."

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #12101 on: December 13, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
12/12/12
I bailed on the Sandy concert after about the 6th hours of Billy Joel songs

Surely the victims have suffered enough?  :D

I'll also note that the Asylum did a film last year called 11/11/11. Frankly I wouldn't put it past them to do a 13/13/13 next year. Yes, they need to rewatch "Learning to Use the Calendar."

Lousy Smarch weather!

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2597
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12102 on: December 13, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
I watched the Asylum 11/11/11 as well as the movie it was 'cashing in on' (who remembers 11.11.11?)

And, no kidding, the Asylum version was better.
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12103 on: December 13, 2012, 07:41:21 AM »
Hitchcock
Judging this movie on its own merits alone, it probably doesn't fare too well.  The leads are great, but the themes are a little weak.  If you are a Hitchcock fan; however, there's a lot more in it for you.  This plays like a special features doc on the Psycho DVD.  A very enjoyable doc.  It was great to see the inspirations behind the movie, the relationship of Hitch with his wife, and some of his internal struggles.  The guy that plays Anthony Perkins is perfect....almost too perfect.  As a fan, my biggest complaint is that it is not a Hitchcock movie.  It will leave you with the need to go watch a Hitchcock movie right away.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:42:55 AM by Kete »

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12104 on: December 13, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Amazing.