login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1567908 times)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12030 on: November 27, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
I went to a special screening of Faces in the Mirror, which was made by Dave Matthews Band's Boyd Tinsley. See the WHOOOOOOO!!!!! thread for a full recap on the evening and what I thought of the movie.

I read that as Feces in the Mirror.

Wasn't RVR in that movie?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12031 on: November 28, 2012, 04:00:07 AM »
I went to a special screening of Faces in the Mirror, which was made by Dave Matthews Band's Boyd Tinsley. See the WHOOOOOOO!!!!! thread for a full recap on the evening and what I thought of the movie.

I read that as Feces in the Mirror.
The risks of having too powerful a bathroom fan.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12032 on: November 28, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
Sound of My Voice

I enjoyed it. I'd say watch it, seeing as it's only an hour and twenty minutes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's also a great movie to watch for budget filmmaking.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on everything Brit Marling makes.

I'm bothered that

Did you see Another Earth? I really liked it.  She was also in an episode of Community.

Yeah, the only reason I had heard of her was because of Another Earth (also liked it). Loved her on Community!

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12033 on: December 01, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Men in Black 3

OK movie, Josh Brolin is good, but he's good in just about anything.  He has Tommy Lee Jones down perfectly.

Hairspray

Still fun.  Also watched it with the commentary which is good.  John Waters is hilarious. 

It had been so long since I'd seen it that I forgot he was in it.  He doesn't do guest spots very often.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #12034 on: December 01, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »
Cabin in the Woods

Very good.  Not quite as good as the hype, but that's the nature of hype.  Still, it is very good with a wonderfully crazy final act that any horror fan would approve of.  Also has a wonderful opening scene as well.  Definitely no other horror film like it, despite the huge number of meta-horror movies.

"Am I on speaker phone?"

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12035 on: December 01, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
She-Devil

Unfunny 1989 comedy starring Meryl Streep and Roseanne Barr.  What could have been a decent film ended up as a waste of 90 minutes.  Streep was OK, but this was pretty horrible.

Finding Nemo 3D

Awesome movie.  I am sure I don't need to sell this one to anyone.  A modern classic.  And the 3D just adds an extra layer of visual punch to an already beautiful film.  Now playing on Starz On Demand ahead of its release on Blu Ray 3D.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 519
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12036 on: December 01, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
I tend to think of Star Trek: Nemesis as the last of the Star Trek movies. Oh, I know there's the re-boot, but I'd prefer to ignore it, truth be told. As with Star Trek: Insurrection, I remember hating Nemesis on its original release. I thought at the time--and still do, actually--that it was trying a bit too hard to be The Wrath of Khan. In retrospect, it's not a bad sci-fi action film if that's all you're interested in. I'll get to that in a bit. What I didn't remember, maybe because I wasn't as sensitive to such things at the time, was how appallingly sexist it is.

(Read on if you don't mind people wasting words and overthinking trivial crap)
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 519
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12037 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
Of all of the idiot children of Night of the Living Dead, I think Zombieland might be the farthest from the source. Where Night of the Living Dead's apocalypse demolished all of our social constructs concerning race, gender, and family, Zombieland spends its brief 80 minute running time reasserting those very constructs (well, most of them--the racial content of NotLD is conspicuous by its absence). The heroes of Zombieland were solitary loners to start with, and wind up constructing their own version of family by the end of the movie. Where NotLD was radical, Zombieland is essentially conservative. And by constructing the movie in part as a "how-to" guide to surviving the zombie apocalypse the filmmakers put the film at a certain remove from the horror genre, converting it into cultural object rather than an art object, if you catch my drift.

That all said--and really, who wants to know all of that, eh?--I had a great time watching Zombieland. It's funny. It's not scary, but it uses the tropes of the horror genre to great effect. The film provides a metaphor for what it actually is by setting the end of the movie at an amusement park. It's a ride, a really great one, and it's populated by an interesting band of misfits, mixed and matched. Jesse Eisenberg's nerdy hero wouldn't seem like a perfect foil for Woody Harrelson's bad-ass, but it works. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin are fine as sisters working the short con. None of the principles is asked to explore a wide range of emotions, really, but the movie is set far enough into the zombie apocalypse that that makes a certain kind of sense.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12038 on: December 02, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
She-Devil

Unfunny 1989 comedy starring Meryl Streep and Roseanne Barr.  What could have been a decent film ended up as a waste of 90 minutes.  Streep was OK, but this was pretty horrible.
I remember the TV show it's based on (because let's face it, it wasn't the book, which is great because Fay Weldon is awesome,  that inspired the green lighting of the movie) as being pretty good.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #12039 on: December 02, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
The Cabin In The Woods

Utterly ridiculous and fantastic film.  A lot of fun with the last act just going so over the top that I was just loving it.  Can't wait to watch this one again.

Men In Black III

A bit of a let down.  But that may have been because I watch it after the above film.  It was OK, not as funny as I thought it should have been, but the story was interesting.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #12040 on: December 02, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
Wild at Heart. Meh.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #12041 on: December 02, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »
Wild at Heart. Meh.

So you're saying More like Mild at Heart, amirite?
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #12042 on: December 03, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
Katalin Varga

IMdb link

Lately I had been having these strange dreams about Romania.  I don't know why, but I think it was a desktop wallpaper I had been using a while back. 

When most people think of Romania, the first thing that comes to mind is Dracula, and Transylvania.  But "Transylvania" actually just means "across forestland" and the area around the Carpathian Mountains is actually amazingly beautiful...as is this 2009 film which is set there. (In Romanian, with English subtitles.)

It's the story of a woman and her son, a terrible secret that causes her to be exiled from her home village, and the process of her revenge.  It's also a look at modern Eastern Europe which is fascinating, especially the contrasts between old and new.  You see people traveling by cart and horse and using cellphones. Children play in castle ruins.  Social religious conservatism is so ingrained in the rural peoples that gossip can destroy a person's life.

Everywhere, even in city streets, it seems tall grass is growing.  It is really quite lovely there. The cinematography was so hauntingly beautiful I watched it twice.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:58:34 PM by MerryWanna »
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12043 on: December 03, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Tremors. A movie that sits very high on my "films I can (and do) watch over and over again without ever getting tired of them" list. As it should for everyone.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12044 on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
Tremors. A movie that sits very high on my "films I can (and do) watch over and over again without ever getting tired of them" list. As it should for everyone.
I love that movie too. Have you watched it with the Hor-Riff-ic Productions iRiff yet? It's very good.