login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527143 times)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11940 on: November 04, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11941 on: November 05, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
Watched Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid again. Love it.

One of my favorites!

The Artist

Decided to watch this since it beat out The Descendants for Best Picture and Actor at the Oscars.  Turned it off after about 45 minutes.  Found it boring and a bit pretentious.

That's too bad.  I absolutely love this movie.  It's just....charming.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11942 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
The Artist

Decided to watch this since it beat out The Descendants for Best Picture and Actor at the Oscars.  Turned it off after about 45 minutes.  Found it boring and a bit pretentious.

I liked that one too, but an issue I've seen folks have (and can really understand) is that it's one of those movies that basically wants you to sit back, admire, and compliment it on exactly how charming it is. Which is something that can quite easily grate the nerves after a very short period of time. Plus, like all undeserving Best Picture recipients (again, not a knock against its quality, more a knock on the terrible Academy judging standards we all still flock around), it tends to suffer from a heavy bit of hype backlash against its high status.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11943 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
The Artist

I liked that one too, but an issue I've seen folks have (and can really understand) is that it's one of those movies that basically wants you to sit back, admire, and compliment it on exactly how charming it is. Which is something that can quite easily grate the nerves after a very short period of time. Plus, like all undeserving Best Picture recipients (again, not a knock against its quality, more a knock on the terrible Academy judging standards we all still flock around), it tends to suffer from a heavy bit of hype backlash against its high status.

I believe the only reason it was silent was so you could verbally compliment it throughout.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11944 on: November 05, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
Rock of Ages

Loved it.  I know it got a lot of bad reviews but I laughed.  And Tom Cruise looks pretty good for a guy in his late 40's.  Could have done without that Hough girl though, her singing voice annoys me.

Summer School

Found the special edition DVD at the Goodwill, hadn't seen it in years.  Still Good.  Late 80's comedy starring super hunky Mark Harmon as a slacker gym coach forced to teach summer school to a group of fellow slackers.  And love the dog in this.

Oh, and I found Howard the Duck at Kmart for $5.  Couldn't pass it up.  Along the the Gamera trilogy (the ones made in the 90's) on Blu-Ray.  Now I just gotta hook up my brand spanking new Blu-Ray player.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2599
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11945 on: November 07, 2012, 02:06:01 AM »
Got the gigantic Hitchcock Blu Ray set this week, so we watched Vertigo last night.

It's never been one of my favourite of Hitch's films, but I enjoyed it more that I remembered.

I was interested to read that the reveal that happened two thirds of the way through was removed by Hitchcock, but he was forced to reinsert it - I suspect the film would be better without it. But at least he got to drop the extra ending they made him film.

Good movie, but a little too slow, and not as good as some of his other films, IMO.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11946 on: November 07, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
I haven't watched the DVD in years, so I don't really remember what that version looks like, but the print on this one is really nice. I should pop the DVD in and compare them. (But then I might find out I blew $100 on no upgrade ;P)
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11947 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »
Watched PT Anderson's first film, Hard 8 last night. One that I've meant to watch for a long, long time and finally, last night was the night. A really great little film. Weird to see so many people so young that go on to be in Anderson's later work.

Philip Baker Hall is fantastic in it.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11948 on: November 07, 2012, 04:03:30 PM »
I haven't watched the DVD in years, so I don't really remember what that version looks like, but the print on this one is really nice. I should pop the DVD in and compare them. (But then I might find out I blew $100 on no upgrade ;P)

Sorry for three posts in a row, but this just struck me as really strange - Why is the Hitchcock Blu Ray set only $100 here and over $200 on Amazon? (RRP is $300?!)

Blu Ray prices never go in our favour!
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 292
« Reply #11949 on: November 07, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
Watched Fiend without a Face a few days ago and have a terrible crush on the heroine. She was only in a few other movies, bit parts, and one of them was Fire Maidens from Outer Space.
Not much about her on imdb. Seems to have disappeared.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11950 on: November 07, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »

Sorry for three posts in a row, but this just struck me as really strange - Why is the Hitchcock Blu Ray set only $100 here and over $200 on Amazon? (RRP is $300?!)

Blu Ray prices never go in our favour!

Same thing happened with the James Bond and the Universal Monsters sets.

Bond is about $100 more expensive here, but you're right, Universal Monsters is cheaper too. Weird. But then, I have zero interest in either of those sets.

Maybe some day I'll try and trek through the Bond movies, but I've not really enjoyed them before the recent ones.
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11951 on: November 07, 2012, 04:56:23 PM »
The Hitchcock one's are region free, I believe, so you could order them from overseas - Even with shipping you aught to save a bunch!
FINE

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 292
« Reply #11952 on: November 07, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »
That reminds me, recently watched To Catch a Thief for the first time.  A little light for Hitchcock but certainly a lot of fun--and the colors!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11953 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
The Hitchcock one's are region free, I believe, so you could order them from overseas - Even with shipping you aught to save a bunch!

Do Australian sets have the fugly ratings badges like the UK ones do? Those are a huge turn-off.

You be the judge:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/horror-thriller/alfred-hitchcock-masterpiece-collection-blu-ray/669982

Not 100% certain the Aus release is region free though. I can check.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:15:35 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11954 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:58 PM »
That reminds me, recently watched To Catch a Thief for the first time.  A little light for Hitchcock but certainly a lot of fun--and the colors!

Yeah, not one of his best, but fun for sure. Been meaning to pick up the blu ray since it came out.
FINE