login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540270 times)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11925 on: November 03, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »
Just got back from Wreck-It Ralph.

LOVED IT!

But of course, I was going to. :^) What surprised me was how well the storytelling worked. I figured I'd spend most of the movie picking out video game references and easter eggs (and there are many) but by the end of the movie I was completely engrossed with Ralph's quest to find redemption. Every other character is lovable too. Even Sarah Silverman, who normally irritates me, turns in a wonderful voice-acting performance and sells her character. It's the role she was born to play.

People are going to think this movie was done by Pixar, and they're going to think it because it's actually that good.

There's also a wonderful animated short at the beginning that's either astonishing 2D animation, or beautiful 3D animation. I need to research it. :^)

EDIT: I just researched it, and it's both! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperman_(2012_film) The result looks fantastic. :^)

Absolutely loved it, too. I cracked up at the MGS exclamation point in the lost-and-found. Had to explain it to my wife post-movie. My WTH moment was finding out it was Alan Tudyk who voiced the King. Totally didn't see that, but with everyone else's characters resembling their VAs to some degree, it's understandable.

The short was great, too. Very cute story, but not so much for my 11-year-old step-son who's still in the girls-are-icky phase.

Saw the movie this afternoon.  It's fantastic.   So many great jokes big and small and the subtle touches throughout (and a nice post credit joke as well) and a great story to boot.  I really hope they make a sequel.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:04:52 PM by Artie »
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #11926 on: November 03, 2012, 03:23:23 PM »

LOVED IT!

But of course, I was going to. :^) What surprised me was how well the storytelling worked. I figured I'd spend most of the movie picking out video game references and easter eggs (and there are many) but by the end of the movie I was completely engrossed with Ralph's quest to find redemption. Every other character is lovable too. Even Sarah Silverman, who normally irritates me, turns in a wonderful voice-acting performance and sells her character. It's the role she was born to play.

People are going to think this movie was done by Pixar, and they're going to think it because it's actually that good.

There's also a wonderful animated short at the beginning that's either astonishing 2D animation, or beautiful 3D animation. I need to research it. :^)

EDIT: I just researched it, and it's both! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paperman_(2012_film) The result looks fantastic. :^)

Absolutely loved it, too. I cracked up at the MGS exclamation point in the lost-and-found. Had to explain it to my wife post-movie. My WTH moment was finding out it was Alan Tudyk who voiced the King. Totally didn't see that, but with everyone else's characters resembling their VAs to some degree, it's understandable.

The short was great, too. Very cute story, but not so much for my 11-year-old step-son who's still in the girls-are-icky phase.

Saw is the afternoon.  It's fantastic.   So many great jokes big and small and the subtle touches throughout (and a nice post credit joke as well) and a great story to boot.  I really hope they make a sequel.

You liked "Saw" that much????   Whatever.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11927 on: November 03, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
  I saw Wreck-It-Ralph earlier today. I really liked it. I think they spent too much time in Sugar Rush, and the story got too saccharine near the end (appropriate, I guess, given the location). Loved all the video game nods. And LOVE how Fix it Felix Jr. talked, just that 50s type squeeky-clean speak was hilarious. The characters' motivation was well done, especially given that this is a kids movie.
  I really want to see a sequel. Although if they do, we don't need to spend it in Sugar Rush. I would want to go to other games, and more time in the Central Station area.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #11928 on: November 03, 2012, 04:14:31 PM »

LOVED IT!

Saw is the afternoon.  It's fantastic.   So many great jokes big and small and the subtle touches throughout (and a nice post credit joke as well) and a great story to boot.  I really hope they make a sequel.

You liked "Saw" that much????   Whatever.

Hilarious  ::)

Zombie Monty

« Reply #11929 on: November 03, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
This Means War

Enjoyable romantic comedy/action pic.  Hard to believe that this is the same Tom Hardy who played Bane.  I thought it was fun.  And even though I can't stand Chelsea Handler, I liked her in her supporting role here.

The Descendants

An incredible film.  George Clooney is absolutely amazing in this.  As is the actress who plays his eldest daughter (Shailene Woodley).  My favorite film of 2011 and one that I will add to my collection as soon as possible. (watched it on HBO On Demand)  It has been a long time since I was pulled in by a film like I was here.

The Artist

Decided to watch this since it beat out The Descendants for Best Picture and Actor at the Oscars.  Turned it off after about 45 minutes.  Found it boring and a bit pretentious.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11930 on: November 03, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
The Evil Dead and The Silence of the Lambs

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #11931 on: November 03, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
The Silence of the Lambs

One of the best movies ever.....

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #11932 on: November 03, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
Ruby Sparks - what starts as pretty typical indie rom-com, about a writer who's MPDG creation comes to life, goes to some surprisingly dark places before reaching a satisfying (if predictable) conclusions.  Zoe Kazan is great in the movie not only as Ruby Sparks but also the films' screenwriter.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #11933 on: November 04, 2012, 04:20:41 PM »
I pretty much have the exact same thoughts about Conan.  Boring as all hell.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11934 on: November 04, 2012, 05:26:45 PM »
Taken 2. I went in kind of resigned that it wouldn't measure up to the first movie, but was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't just a re-tred of the same story.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No idea if spoiler tags are necessary for a movie like this, but hell, better safe than sorry.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2612
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11935 on: November 04, 2012, 05:30:23 PM »
When you have a choice between possibly spoiling something for someone or not, I think it's always best to not. :)

Moonrise Kingdom again. Probably the first time I've watched a movie so close after seeming it for the first time since I was a teenager seeing a movie multiple times in its theatrical run.
FINE

Offline Starman!

« Reply #11936 on: November 04, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »
U2: Rattle and Hum. Seriously, I've seen this movie way too many times.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11937 on: November 04, 2012, 05:38:20 PM »
U2: Rattle and Hum. Seriously, I've seen this movie way too many times.

Once?

Bam! I kid! You're a wonderful human being.
FINE

Offline Starman!

« Reply #11938 on: November 04, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »
Not sure if I should like post or be offended.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11939 on: November 04, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »
Both! :D
FINE