Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581784 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11850 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
If I keep thinking about a movie after it's over, I consider it a success.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11851 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
If I keep thinking about a movie after it's over, I consider it a success.

That's the key bit, if it makes me want to watch it again to figure out parts I didn't get.  If I don't get what it's trying to say and also don't care, then it's a failure as a movie. 

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #11852 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:00 PM »

Secondly, if a movie can't really be understood on the first viewing, it fails as a movie. I shouldn't have to watch something more than once just to understand the basic plot.  About 2/3rds of the way in, neither my wife nor I had any idea what the fuck was going on, and neither of us are idiots.  There was some drama about some guy wanting to punch someone else in the face, whom we didn't know, and being congratulated for it (weirdly), and then this was apparently the plot point: punching someone in the face.

Oh.  This must be the "Face Punch" movie from Twilight: New Moon.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11853 on: October 26, 2012, 06:18:16 AM »

Secondly, if a movie can't really be understood on the first viewing, it fails as a movie. I shouldn't have to watch something more than once just to understand the basic plot.  About 2/3rds of the way in, neither my wife nor I had any idea what the fuck was going on, and neither of us are idiots.  There was some drama about some guy wanting to punch someone else in the face, whom we didn't know, and being congratulated for it (weirdly), and then this was apparently the plot point: punching someone in the face.

I would love to see a really good director make that movie, just so it comes out better than the Twilight movies.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #11854 on: October 26, 2012, 08:59:18 AM »

I think you just misattributed Imrahil's quote to Artie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11855 on: October 26, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »
Currently watching Metropolis (1927, restored version ). Never seen it before. I am enjoying it, although the lingering shots of all the effects is giving me flashbacks to Star Trek: The Motionless Picture. And subtlety apparently had not been invented yet in 1927. So far, the only person giving a good performance is the main bad guy.

Russell

« Reply #11856 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
Alex Cross.... sucked... walked out... got my money back. Sorry Tyler Perry.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11857 on: October 27, 2012, 02:15:53 AM »
People here walk out of movies about a billion times more than I do.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11858 on: October 27, 2012, 02:39:18 AM »
People here walk out of movies about a billion times more than I do.

I've only ever done it once. Even for bad stuff, I try to have a good endurance limit. And Date Movie honestly seemed like a good idea going in. But that opinion didn't last long...

Currently watching Metropolis (1927, restored version ). Never seen it before. I am enjoying it, although the lingering shots of all the effects is giving me flashbacks to Star Trek: The Motionless Picture. And subtlety apparently had not been invented yet in 1927. So far, the only person giving a good performance is the main bad guy.

It's in the nature of the silent movie to be less subtle, usually because they were still working more off theatrical ideas (like stage theater) at the time, and thus more exaggerated movements and facial tics were the order of the day. European movies especially (check out some Russian stuff, like By The Law. Good flick, but the lady in it looks like a deranged caricature half the time).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11859 on: October 27, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
(check out some Russian stuff, like By The Law. Good flick, but the lady in it looks like a deranged caricature half the time).
I wish By The Law was a 1920s, silent, Russian, stage-play-esque Judge Dredd.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #11860 on: October 27, 2012, 09:53:43 AM »
(check out some Russian stuff, like By The Law. Good flick, but the lady in it looks like a deranged caricature half the time).
I wish By The Law was a 1920s, silent, Russian, stage-play-esque Judge Dredd.

Actually, an argument could be made for it being exactly that.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11861 on: October 27, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

I enjoyed it, it's completely ludicrous.  But it's dark and fun. 

Roadhouse

God, I miss Patrick Swayze.  Hadn't seen it in probably over ten years.  Found it for $10, along with Roadhouse 2, which I guess I'll watch eventually.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11862 on: October 27, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
Silent Hill: Revelations 3D
I can't imagine I'll be able to say anything original here but: stupid, exposition heavy, completely missing the point of the games and oh, one of the iconic monsters saves the day.  I only went to this because me and a friend were going to see Sinister, but it was already out of theatres and there wasn't a lot of choices.  We could have just seen nothing, but my friend will be moving soon, so we thought it would at least be stupid fun.  There was fun in heckling it and early on there are one or two good scares early on but it got real dumb.

Mistake #1: Don't have a MAIN BAD GUY for your Silent Hill movie.  Silent Hill is like an evil force, not a guy with plans.  It is just an evil fucking town.

Mistake #2: Don't have there be an "Evil Order".  Again the bad guy should be the faceless and inexplicable horrors of Silent Hill.

Mistake #3: Don't give back story to why Silent Hill is Silent Hill.  It simply is.

Mistake #4: The iconic monsters of Silent Hill are very much tied to the psyche of the main character of the game.  Pyramid Head should not exist outside of Silent Hill 2 and the nurses shouldn't exist outside of 3 (also a mistake later games made)

Mistake #5-28: Different kinds of sucking I don't want to get into right now.

Really, really dumb movie, but in the right mood, easy to heckle.

Detective Guy: "I discovered I was working for the Order of Verdue"
Me: "I found that out when they signed their checks the Order of Verdue"

(In the back of a restaurant, where a man is being sliced up, cooked and eaten)
Me: Well, at least Taco Bell is using meat again.

Police Guy: (on dumb looking symbol) "I've never seen anything like this before."
Me: "I've never seen a bunch of circles before"

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #11863 on: October 27, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
Trick 'r Treat. I don't think I'll ever stop loving this movie. It's every awesome thing about Halloween horror compressed into 82 minutes. Beautiful.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #11864 on: October 27, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
Trick 'r Treat. I don't think I'll ever stop loving this movie. It's every awesome thing about Halloween horror compressed into 82 minutes. Beautiful.

I couldn't get past the kid vomiting blood. That's where I bowed out.

Because of the vomit or the kid death?

Because the former is right there (admittedly in gross excess), the latter... well, there's plenty more of that to go around. It's actually kinda refreshing.