login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538481 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11745 on: October 06, 2012, 07:54:12 AM »
Alright, time to start actually using this thread again. Here's a few I've recently gone through:

A Night to Remember. Jame's Cameron's Titanic movie may have had the effects and budget to really show off the disaster side of the sinking, but this one's got the human element far better covered. It takes a while to get the hang of the mass amount of characters (whose stories you constantly hop back and forth from), but by midway you should be pretty well hooked. Also about as factually accurate as the movie could possibly be at the time (even if it really, really goes out of its way to blame the Californian for not coming to help), and, for my money, still the best movie on the ship out there. Cameron certainly liked it enough to crib more than a few scenes and shots from it. Also, this movie contains about the maximum amount of unflappable British stiff-upper-lip that can be fit into one two hour span.

The Italian Job. Original one here, and oh how I love it. I'm a sucker for a good caper film and old school British charm, and this crams in both (and also a young Michael Caine). It's also interesting how many people were involved in the heist. It's a serious crowd, far cry from the usual small crews you see in films of today (including the remarkably serviceable remake of this very film). And yet somehow, they make it work. Which is good, because that ending probably would've been a bit more abrupt if they didn't.

Shallow Grave. Rounding off the three films I watched from the UK is Danny Boyle's feature debut. A very solid mix of dark comedy, crime, and a little murder (as is the norm for Scottish affairs). Also one of those movies where you see an actor waaaaay back before they were big, in such a way that it's sort of a trip to see them so young. In this case, Christopher Eccleston and Ewan McGregor show they had good stuff even when they first started out. Also also, probably one of the most pro-attic movies ever made.

The Grey. Still one of my favorites of the year so far, without question. A grim, tough survival story that's also got a lot of ruminations over life, death, faith, and Liam Neeson's hyper-authoritative voice. It's Neeson's best (and most interesting) role in years, and he completely dominates from start to finish. And the ending (which is spot on for what it needs to be and do) makes me do some serious tearing up. Not all out bawling, but I need a minute to collect myself once the credits start to role.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11746 on: October 06, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
The Dictator

Probably not his best stuff, but plenty of Cohen's gags hit the mark, a few of them I found pretty hilarious. At times the lead character comes off as something Adam Sandler would try... and that's not good... but the whole thing is over and done with in well under 90 minutes... and The Dictator never manages to wear out his welcome. A few highlight scenes and some solid social satire made this one a worthy rental that I'll likely revisit a few years down the road.

GordonZola

« Reply #11747 on: October 06, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
Dark Shadows

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
« Reply #11748 on: October 06, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia.
 Wow, what a messed up movie. I can understand why it was considered "bad" when it came out--70's movies were gritty and fairly realistic. This one was gritty and surreal, more like Pulp Fiction than even Peckinpah's seventies work. In fact, I think Tarrantino borrowed heavily--oh, what am I saying? He's borrowed from everything.

The Master.

Loved this. I loved how it avoided every predictable direction. I liked it even more than There Will be Blood.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11749 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:24 PM »
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

Haven't watched this in several years, the Blu-Ray looks really great.
Sort of forgot how this movie is non-stop fun from start to finish.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:47:17 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #11750 on: October 07, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade

Haven't watched this in several years, the Blu-Ray looks really great.
Sort of forgot how this movie is non-stop fun from start to Finnish.

I don't remember them going to Finland in that movie... ;)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #11751 on: October 07, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
I saw Looper today.  I hadn't heard about this movie until a few days ago.  Just saw it today, and it was great.  The scene where they deal with Young Seth letting his loop run was amazing.  I wish I could watch that scene a few times more.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11752 on: October 07, 2012, 05:29:34 PM »
Lockout - An adequate sci-fi/action movie. Not good enough to be good, but not bad enough to be terrible. It had a couple of cool ideas, and a lot of generic stuff.

Weirdly, most of the CG was pretty decent, but there's one chase scene that suddenly becomes like a last gen video game.

Anyway, an easy watch, but not worth going out of your way for...
FINE

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11753 on: October 07, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
The Cabin in the Woods. What the fuck did I just watch?!

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #11754 on: October 07, 2012, 06:19:13 PM »
I saw Looper today.  I hadn't heard about this movie until a few days ago.  Just saw it today, and it was great.  The scene where they deal with Young Seth letting his loop run was amazing.  I wish I could watch that scene a few times more.

That was one of the most disturbing sequences I've ever seen. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

I watched Transsiberian again (saw it a few years ago). Really good thriller, worth watching and it's on Netflix instant stream.

I also watched Barb Wire for the How Did This Get Made podcast. I don't even...

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11755 on: October 07, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »

Did you like it?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11756 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

Did you like it?

Honestly, not really. It was a little different, I'll give it that, but it mostly felt like a confused Evil Dead ripoff to me.

Coragale

« Reply #11757 on: October 07, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

Did you like it?

Honestly, not really, I came in my pants. It was a little different, I'll give it that, but it mostly felt like a confused Evil Dead ripoff to me.

Fix'd.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11758 on: October 08, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »

Did you like it?

Honestly, not really. It was a little different, I'll give it that, but it mostly felt like a confused Evil Dead ripoff to me.

I can, after much personal struggle, see someone not liking it. But Evil Dead ripoff? That loses me, or at least makes me wonder what Evil Dead movie I've been watching all these years.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11759 on: October 08, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
Well, seeing how the movie is all about Horror tropes and The Evil Dead is one of the purest expression of various horror tropes, I could see how somebody might see a connection, if they missed the scenes taking place away from the Cabin itself, maybe. I mean it's still a stretch to call it a rip-off as that would suggest the intent of this film was to tell essentially the same story as The Evil Dead which is not the case in the slightest.

Ann would hate Cabin in the Woods (and indeed most horror films) because she has a massive aversion to the sight of blood. She would, however like the general plot, sadly the blood thing would mean she'd not want to watch it for the other elements.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 08:21:20 AM by Tripe H. Redux »