login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523089 times)

Zombie Monty

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11685 on: September 28, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
Joel Schumacher's adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera

Yeah, I don't know why I watched it either.  It's bad.  Still, I wasn't as familiar with the musical, so I thought I'd give it a shot and I thought that perhaps I might enjoy a Webber musical, since I've never heard one.  Wow, that's a bad musical.  This is the kind of crap that gives musicals a bad name.  Seemingly endless songs that feel like a satire of a bad musical.  The lyrics are just... dumb.  No wit or subtlety to them at all.  To quote the Robot Devil "You can't just have characters explaining how they feel.  That makes me very angry!"  The characters are broad, bland archetypes, the Phantom is a surprisingly boring villain and having characters rhyme their exposition is NOT singing.  So now I know I don't like Andrew Lloyd Webber.  At least I got something out of the movie.  To sooth my soul, here's Paul F Tompkins as Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I've been kind of back and forth over the years on Phantom.  I didn't really care for the film, but have enjoyed the original cast recording for years.  Hope to get to see Sarah Brightman on her world tour next year.  Never got a chance to see her sing live.  "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" by her is one of my all time favorite Broadway showtunes.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mURgDtpLasw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mURgDtpLasw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11686 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:31 PM »
Looper - Wow.  That's all I can say right now.  GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

I WANT TO!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3540
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11687 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:07 PM »
Looper - Wow.  That's all I can say right now.  GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

I WANT TO!

Just got back.  It's great.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #11688 on: September 29, 2012, 06:07:21 AM »
I saw Looper the other day and I'm on the fence about it--however, I don't want to spoil anything.  The first forty minutes or so of the film were great, then it went downhill (although it rebounded every now and then).  I'm not so sure about the time travel element; it would seem to open up a lot of paradoxes, but looking back I think the film might have explained them satisfactorily.  Or not.  When it was over, I thought it was a miss.  But the more I think about it, the more I believe I might've been too harsh in my initial assessment.

Despite my reservations, I'd recommend it. 

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #11689 on: September 29, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »
I saw Looper the other day and I'm on the fence about it--however, I don't want to spoil anything.  The first forty minutes or so of the film were great, then it went downhill (although it rebounded every now and then).  I'm not so sure about the time travel element; it would seem to open up a lot of paradoxes, but looking back I think the film might have explained them satisfactorily.  Or not.  When it was over, I thought it was a miss.  But the more I think about it, the more I believe I might've been too harsh in my initial assessment.

Despite my reservations, I'd recommend it.

I thought the first 40 minutes were the roughest part (but was necessary to develop the characters) and then picked up greatly.    I also thought it handled the time travel aspect well enough (And really nearly any time-travel story falls apart if you look at it too much). 

My only problem was one character that was kept around way too long, both because of a grating performance and lack of real motivation for the character's actions.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5617
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11690 on: September 29, 2012, 09:07:14 AM »
I've never heard of Looper until like yesterday, from you guys. I assume it's about someone who makes Froot Loops.
It's about a Toucan bird that travels in time for some reason.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11691 on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »
I thought it was a documentary about the bassist from Belle and Sebastian's other band.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:35:53 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline NashaWriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 276
  • Watch what you say MONKEY BOY!
« Reply #11692 on: September 29, 2012, 10:10:11 AM »
I finally sat down and watched "Raging Bull" the other day.

Holy shit, it was amazing. I cried, I cheered, I high-fived myself for finally watching. Robert De Niro is...wow. I cannot even type the words that would properly dictate how I'm feeling.
No Matter Where you go, there you are.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11693 on: September 29, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
The Avengers

Wonderful!  Great!  Awesome!  Um...spectacular!  Loved Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. 

Jumanji

I have now started going through my oldest tapes in storage.  I have thrown many away because they were too dirty.  They're mostly from the 90's.  Some from the 80s.

I recorded Jumanji from a free preview on Showtime in 1996 (I dated my tapes, and I'm glad I did).  Tape still played good, and hadn't seen the move in years.

Really enjoyed it.  I'm sure everybody has seen it, well at least everybody over 30.  But, back in the 60's a kid finds a game and is sucked into it.  Thirty years later two other kids find the game and start it and the boy is released as Robin Williams.  They then have to finish the game.  The animal effects are fakey, but hey...

Robin is good, I think he was at his career peak in this, it was before the slide downhill.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11694 on: September 29, 2012, 12:23:34 PM »
Robin is good, I think he was at his career peak in this, it was before the slide downhill.

One Hour Photo, Insomnia, Death to Smoochy, and World's Greatest Dad object.

...admittedly, they don't object as loudly as they should, but they object all the same.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11695 on: September 29, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
The Avengers

Wonderful!  Great!  Awesome!  Um...spectacular!  Loved Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. 

Jumanji

I have now started going through my oldest tapes in storage.  I have thrown many away because they were too dirty.  They're mostly from the 90's.  Some from the 80s.

I recorded Jumanji from a free preview on Showtime in 1996 (I dated my tapes, and I'm glad I did).  Tape still played good, and hadn't seen the move in years.

Really enjoyed it.  I'm sure everybody has seen it, well at least everybody over 30.  But, back in the 60's a kid finds a game and is sucked into it.  Thirty years later two other kids find the game and start it and the boy is released as Robin Williams.  They then have to finish the game.  The animal effects are fakey, but hey...

I remember it somewhat, and I remember liking it.  I also seem to remember David Allen Greer stealing every scene he was in.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2596
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11696 on: September 29, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
River of No Return.

First time seeing it (on the Forever Marylin Blu Ray set). Mostly we enjoyed it, though the scene late in the middle of the movie where the hero attempts to rape Marylin wasn't so great.

I also would have finished the film one scene earlier.
FINE

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11697 on: September 29, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
Finished Battle Royale. Still not sure what to think about it. Kept thinking the teacher looked familiar. Looked it up and it was Takeshi from Takeshi's Castle aka Vic Romano from MXC.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Didn't really see the ending coming, either.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #11698 on: September 29, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
Looper

I also though the first third was great, the second one less so, and rebound in the end. Definitely worth watch, if for no other reason than that is isn't a remake, reboot, sequel, or adaptation.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11699 on: September 30, 2012, 04:29:49 PM »
The Avengers.   Liked it, the most fun since the 2 Iron Man ones.  Although I haven't seen the latest Hulk.