Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1526395 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3541
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11670 on: September 26, 2012, 08:22:33 AM »
I must be looking up the wrong Amy Acker on GIS.

I would tread carefully around Tripe when it comes to Amy Acker. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:24:54 AM by Kete »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11671 on: September 26, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »
Yep, she is, almost completely the most gorgeous looking girl who I don't actually know personally that I know of. Just utterly lovely. :)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6795
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11672 on: September 26, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
i think you'd like the latest episode of warehouse 13, tripe. :)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11673 on: September 26, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
Her episode of Supernatural featured her sinking into a nice hot bath, can it top that?  ;)

A perusal of tumblr suggests she has some sort of hair pulling fight with a main character.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:45:22 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11674 on: September 27, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Frantic

Not a perfect movie, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and Harrison Ford in his prime is very watchable.  My one issue is the female lead.  She's a fun character, but after a while you realize that she's hindered his attempt to rescue his wife for most of the movie.  STOP DRAGGING HER ALONG!

Zombie Monty

« Reply #11675 on: September 27, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
To Have And Have Not

Classic Bogart/Bacall flick.  Not much to it really, although it does have Bacall's most famous scene and line.  Hard to believe she was only 19 here.  I can not imagine any of these 18-20 year old actresses around today pulling this role off the way she does here.

Not as enjoyable as Key Largo, but still tons better than most films coming out nowadays.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4312
« Reply #11676 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
To Have And Have Not

Classic Bogart/Bacall flick.  Not much to it really, although it does have Bacall's most famous scene and line.  Hard to believe she was only 19 here.  I can not imagine any of these 18-20 year old actresses around today pulling this role off the way she does here.

Not as enjoyable as Key Largo, but still tons better than most films coming out nowadays.

Darn.  Now I have the song stuck in my head.

Zombie Monty

« Reply #11677 on: September 27, 2012, 07:54:06 PM »
Been going through old tapes looking for stuff to digitize for my digital media server, as a result been watching a lot of movies I taped off of HBO or whatnot back in the '80s.
Porky's II The Next Day
Has a few laughs, but really awful in just about every way possible.

Forgot to mention that this one has a somewhat memorable appearance (meaning that she gets topless) by Space Mutiny's Cisse Cameron.  So I guess it has that going for it... if you have a thing for obscure actors from MSTied movies turning up nekkid in other films.

Goldfinger.  Got the Bond 50 set (and a silly book with it), so decided to watch one. I'm not quite ready to sit down with a new one (that is new to blu) because I'm doing other stuff and can't really watch it closely, so I put in one I hadn't seen in a few years.  Still gorgeous.

I ended up watching some of the special features; the screen test with Theodore Bikel as Goldfinger was really interesting. I'm not sure why they went with Frobe actually after seeing that, Bikel was great.

Frantic

Not a perfect movie, but I thought it was a lot of fun, and Harrison Ford in his prime is very watchable.  My one issue is the female lead.  She's a fun character, but after a while you realize that she's hindered his attempt to rescue his wife for most of the movie.  STOP DRAGGING HER ALONG!

Frantic is one of those movies that really sets a "style" of filmmaking for me. I don't know if it's the cinematography or what, but the Bourne movies reeked of it.  It's one of the reasons they put me off. 

Not planning on getting the Bond Blu set.  I already have the DVD boxed sets that came out years ago that I still haven't completely gone through yet.  So no rush to upgrade yet.

Frantic is a favorite of mine.  The whole "stranger in trouble in a strange city" aspect works really well.  The recent Liam Neeson turkey Unknown wishes it had 1/3 of the style of Frantic.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11678 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
I just bought my tickets for Looper tonight!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6795
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11679 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01:16 PM »
i think i'm gonna see that tomorrow. then, later, see it this afternoon.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11680 on: September 28, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
I've been on complete lock-down on this movie as far as trailers or information goes.  All I know is it's got Rian Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and the director of Primer for time travel consultation.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11681 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
I've been on complete lock-down on this movie as far as trailers or information goes.  All I know is it's got Rian Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, and the director of Primer for time travel consultation.

That's all I know too. And since the movie doesn't open here until the end of November, I'm going to keep working at that being all I know.

...man, I picked the wrong Fall to go abroad.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11682 on: September 28, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
About halfway through Battle Royale on Netflix. It's just a little too intense, so I'm taking a breather for a while. Grown men/women blowing each other away is one thing, but seeing kids do it is just a little much. I saw The Hunger Games and it didn't have near the tension this movie has.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11683 on: September 28, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Joel Schumacher's adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera

Yeah, I don't know why I watched it either.  It's bad.  Still, I wasn't as familiar with the musical, so I thought I'd give it a shot and I thought that perhaps I might enjoy a Webber musical, since I've never heard one.  Wow, that's a bad musical.  This is the kind of crap that gives musicals a bad name.  Seemingly endless songs that feel like a satire of a bad musical.  The lyrics are just... dumb.  No wit or subtlety to them at all.  To quote the Robot Devil "You can't just have characters explaining how they feel.  That makes me very angry!"  The characters are broad, bland archetypes, the Phantom is a surprisingly boring villain and having characters rhyme their exposition is NOT singing.  So now I know I don't like Andrew Lloyd Webber.  At least I got something out of the movie.  To sooth my soul, here's Paul F Tompkins as Andrew Lloyd Webber.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v5u9IGVSs5E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/v5u9IGVSs5E</a>

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #11684 on: September 28, 2012, 06:57:12 PM »
Looper - Wow.  That's all I can say right now.  GO SEE THIS MOVIE.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com