Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1555026 times)

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11445 on: August 27, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
I am watching Fletch.  It is horrible and unfunny. 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2618
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11446 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »

I never liked Fletch and have always wonder why people loved it so much - Have been meaning to revisit it for the last few years to see if my opinion has changed.
FINE

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #11447 on: August 27, 2012, 05:33:32 PM »

I never liked Fletch and have always wonder why people loved it so much - Have been meaning to revisit it for the last few years to see if my opinion has changed.

You were correct the first time.  It stinks!
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11448 on: August 27, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
Oh yeah, we watched Bernie last night. My wife loved it. I liked it pretty well, but the interview snippets mixed in with the movie caused it to be pretty slow to get rolling for me.

It was good though. 
FINE

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #11449 on: August 28, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »
This is late by several weeks, but I had a college class on digital cultures and narratives, and as part of the class the professor showed us Blade Runner.

I think this is one of my all time favorite movies. The special effects are mindblowing, I can hardly believe most of those are in camera shots especially the iconic opening scene. And the music...my GOD. I ended up listening to the soundtrack afterwards, and sometimes I could close my eyes and envision 2019 LA in my mind, with Spinners flying around. Loved the dialogue, especially Batty's speech at the end and Harrison Ford did an awesome job as Deckard.

It may just be because I played Hideo Kojima's Snatcher and completed it that I enjoyed this film (because Kojima pretty much ripped it off for the game, including the "run down future city" look and the flying cars) but I absolutely adore it.

And before you ask, we watched the Final Cut.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5118
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11450 on: August 28, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
Raiders of the Lost Ark as part of our city's "Films Under the Stars" series.  Never going to get tired of this one.  One of the funnest movies ever made.  BTW, we need to do a Top 50 Adventure Movies LoC someday.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11451 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
I love in Raiders when he shoots the sword wielding guy.  One of the funniest moments in all of cinema in my opinion.

I heard once that there was supposed to be a big fight scene there with Ford and the sword guy, but he was really sick, so they changed it up.  Good thing too.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5678
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11452 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
I love in Raiders when he shoots the sword wielding guy.  One of the funniest moments in all of cinema in my opinion.

I heard once that there was supposed to be a big fight scene there with Ford and the sword guy, but he was really sick, so they changed it up.  Good thing too.
Yeah, I have heard that too. I am sure if they had done the big elaborate fight it would have been cool. But him just shooting the guy is a great moment.
Don't they call back to that in Temple of Doom (even though that is a prequel), when he tries that and finds he doesn't have his gun?

Russell

« Reply #11453 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Yeah, I have heard that too. I am sure if they had done the big elaborate fight it would have been cool. But him just shooting the guy is a great moment.
Don't they call back to that in Temple of Doom (even though that is a prequel), when he tries that and finds he doesn't have his gun?

Yes, though technically it's foreshadowing since TOD takes place before Raiders.

I read the Rinzler book on the making of the four movies a couple of years ago; most of the crew was down with food poisoning and dysentery from the local cuisine. Spielberg avoided it because he only ate canned food the entire time he was there.  Rhys-Davies talks about shitting himself or puking himself (he doesn't get specific) during a "deleted" scene that never made it into the movie.
I remember that story very well, John Rhys I think he said he threw up(although he used much more delicate language)... and he didn't even care.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11454 on: August 28, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
My own experience with food poisoning was rather on the other end.

You usually give it to other people?
FINE

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #11455 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »
Expendables 2!!

Mindless carnage and mayhem! Cheesy lines.  We had fun. It is not as good as the first and this one really suffers from way too much

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that it was a fun time.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Russell

« Reply #11456 on: August 28, 2012, 10:19:04 PM »
Everything about The Expendables 2 felt a bit too generic. You can't just put all these action movie legends into one movie with a half-way there story and expect it to be praised up the ass. It could have been much, much better had they truly attempted to make all the characters much more interesting, especially Jean Claude's.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11457 on: August 29, 2012, 06:23:45 AM »
Everything about The Expendables 2 felt a bit too generic. You can't just put all these action movie legends into one movie with a half-way there story and expect it to be praised up the ass. It could have been much, much better had they truly attempted to make all the characters much more interesting, especially Jean Claude's.

I still think it's a mistake not having Robert Rodriguez direct it (or the guys who made Crank if he's busy that week) it should be non-stop action and guys walking away from explosions. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #11458 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16:55 AM »
I watched Glengarry Glen Ross last night.  I finally got around to it after hearing about it about 1000 times and then I saw Netflix had it on Instant View.

I really liked Jack Lemmon in that movie.  I spent the movie thinking "this guy sounds and acts exactly like Gil from The Simpsons".  Then I looked up the movie on Wikipedia later and found out this isn't a coincidence and that Gil was actually based on Lemmon's character from Glengarry Glen Ross.

It was a good movie.  I like watching sleazy, dishonest, high pressure salesmen from their point of view.  It's kinda like seeing tigers at the zoo where you're safe, rather than stumbling upon them in the jungle where they might kill you.

One thing I didn't understand was this.  The Alec Baldwin character berates the sales staff for not making sales.  Their explanation is that they have shitty sales leads.  Management has these great Glengarry leads, but says the sales staff can't have them unless they make sales.  You need sales to make money for the company.  You need good sales leads to make sales.  So why only give the good sales leads to the already successful salesmen?  Seems like they're just setting people up to fail.

Also, I don't know how the Ed Harris character made it through the day without suffering a heart attack.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5678
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11459 on: August 29, 2012, 07:47:04 AM »
Sounds interesting. I know I made a reference to it in the HULK Quiptracks, but I had never seen the movie.