login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585612 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11295 on: July 30, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
The Informant!

I've slowly but surely come to realize that I'm a pretty big fan of Steven Soderbergh. It's probably due in large part to my fondness for that whole docudrama style in many of his films. I love movies based on actual events, even the ones not based on actual events, but possible events, e.g. Contagion. I also think he shows good range and versatility.

The Informant! was wonderful, and right up my alley. I was completely caught up in this rather compelling story which featured a fascinating character study. There are a bunch of great performances by a fantastic cast. The film does an excellent job of conveying an underlying sense of sadness, while at the same time portraying these ridiculously comical situations.

It's weird to think of a movie set in the early nineties as a period piece, but it really does come off as one. I suppose that's mostly due to the music, combined with what seems like a real commitment to make it look retro, almost like an eighties/nineties hybrid. I love the look of the movie, especially the color palette. The sets and locations are incredibly drab, but the whole thing has a very distinctive look.

By the way, does Matt Damon get enough credit as an actor? Perhaps he does and I just haven't noticed. I always enjoy his performances, and I thought he was particularly good in this.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11296 on: July 30, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »
I liked Matt Damon quite a lot in True Grit; he really made the movie for me. Most people fell all over themselves with Jeff Bridges but I thought Damon turned in a great performance. He was a smug and pompous Texas Ranger but never a cartoon character. He was still human. I remember APGIL and I leaving the theater and being all, "Fucking Glen Campbell!" because his performance as LaBeouf in the original was so lacking compared to Damon's.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

« Reply #11297 on: July 30, 2012, 06:12:37 PM »
Lock Out

Wow, what a turd sandwich!  Guy Pearce (who was awesome in L.A. Confidential) is dreadful here while doing his best Hugh Jackman impersonation.  His "banter" with Maggie Grace rivals that of Reb Brown and Cissy Cameron in Space Mutiny.

Amateur hour special effects (which I would not have minded if the story and script wasn't so inept).  Plot holes you can drive an orbiting space station/prison through. 

Yet in a weird way, I enjoyed it because of it's awfulness.  We were just riffing left and right (so easy with this film) and had a blast.  It would be a perfect Rifftrax target, if they still did films like this.  I am guessing we will be seeing The Hunger Games in a few weeks and then The Avengers in September, and Dark Knight Rises sometime before the end of the year.  And I will be looking forward to all three, but would still like to see them handle some big Hollywood turkeys from time to time.  And this turkey fits the bill.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11298 on: July 30, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
The Informant!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:03:37 PM by Asbestos Bill »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11299 on: July 30, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »
I liked Matt Damon quite a lot in True Grit; he really made the movie for me. Most people fell all over themselves with Jeff Bridges but I thought Damon turned in a great performance. He was a smug and pompous Texas Ranger but never a cartoon character. He was still human. I remember APGIL and I leaving the theater and being all, "Fucking Glen Campbell!" because his performance as LaBeouf in the original was so lacking compared to Damon's.

Damon is a shockingly strong actor, but he seems to be more... low key about it, I guess? People seem to think of him more as Jason Bourne (which is a more nuanced role than most think, but still can be dismissed as "just another action star"), or the Junior role in the Ocean's movie, or still play off the old Team America jokes (which he takes in good spirit, apparently) or his old 90s stuff. Which is too bad, since he can come in an be the emotional core of something like Contagion, or just be plain brilliant in something like The Good Shepherd, and walk away with nobody even noticing.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #11300 on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »

Damon is a shockingly strong actor, but he seems to be more... low key about it, I guess? People seem to think of him more as Jason Bourne (which is a more nuanced role than most think, but still can be dismissed as "just another action star"), or the Junior role in the Ocean's movie, or still play off the old Team America jokes (which he takes in good spirit, apparently) or his old 90s stuff. Which is too bad, since he can come in an be the emotional core of something like Contagion, or just be plain brilliant in something like The Good Shepherd, and walk away with nobody even noticing.

I'm almost positive he really owns a zoo.  That's how good he is.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11301 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
i quite liked him as loki.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11302 on: July 31, 2012, 09:57:43 AM »
Matt Damon is awesome, and most importantly he's self-deprecating and has a sense of humor.  So many good actors are just too damn serious.

Love him as Bourne, hope they can get him to do another someday.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

« Reply #11303 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
Still going though old tapes, throwing out ones that don't play good, gonna eventually put the ones I want to keep on DVD.

Watched Soapdish last night.  Hadn't seen it in years, I remember my mother really enjoyed it.  It's probably about 20 year old by now.

Good movie, great satire.  Sally Field is a famous soap actress and Cathy Moriarty and Robert Downey Jr are trying to get her off the soap.  They bring in her old flame Kevin Kline to help. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11304 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »
The Informant!

I love movies about compulsive liars, and this was no exception.

That's good to hear... hey, waitaminute!

Watched Camelot in the hopes that top musicals is the next list of crap (voting now if you want to get involved.  I feel I haven't watched enough film musicals (would go to live shows if there were ever any in town) so I got a bunch from the library.  Camelot slows down too much in the middle, but picks up again when Mordred shows up (even though his role is actually not as big as I expected, yeah he's evil, but all he really does is reveal a couple truths.  He's like Iago Lite.).  The songs are rather long and repetitive too, but I feel like it's a case of the songs spreading across the film heavily rather than things being seperated into "song section" and "non-song section".

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 308
« Reply #11305 on: August 04, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
The Informant!

I love movies about compulsive liars, and this was no exception.

Watched Camelot in the hopes that top musicals is the next list of crap (voting now if you want to get involved.  I feel I haven't watched enough film musicals (would go to live shows if there were ever any in town) so I got a bunch from the library.  Camelot slows down too much in the middle, but picks up again when Mordred shows up (even though his role is actually not as big as I expected, yeah he's evil, but all he really does is reveal a couple truths.  He's like Iago Lite.).  The songs are rather long and repetitive too, but I feel like it's a case of the songs spreading across the film heavily rather than things being seperated into "song section" and "non-song section".

Have you seen the 70's musical Lost Horizon? I've only watched clips on youtube but it's supposed to be one of the worst films ever made. Watch the clips on youtube and you might see what that means...

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11306 on: August 04, 2012, 07:03:12 PM »

Maybe I should have spoilered that :/

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11307 on: August 05, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

Maybe I should have spoilered that :/

I mean't the joke to be that that statement, might, in fact, be a lie.  But yeah, maybe.

MontyServo

« Reply #11308 on: August 05, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
American Reunion

Very hit and miss.  The stuff with Jim and Stifler is the funniest, while the movie grinds to a boring halt whenever it focuses on the other characters and their subplots.  Eugene Levy is also awesome in this, as he is in pretty much everything.

« Reply #11309 on: August 06, 2012, 07:43:09 AM »
Wanderlust

Liked it.  Of course, Paul Rudd helped a lot.  The man is a comic genius.

I was surprised, after all the bad stuff I had heard about it.  I think the main problem was everyone was so damn focused on the whole Jennifer Aniston and the married guy she was screwing, whatever his name is.  Nobody really focused on the movie itself.