login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582561 times)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11250 on: July 21, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
^Yep, that's the one

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11251 on: July 21, 2012, 09:36:05 PM »
Immortals (2011) - When will filmmakers learn that in movies about Greek Gods (or other such mythologies) that WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HUMANS! So damn much is made about how important Thesius and the humans are, yet the Gods show up 1 hour into this movie for thirty seconds and do more awesome damage seemeingly effortlessly. And then they are gone again. Until the end, when they show up again to fight the Titans and the movie gets really cool again. Unfortuantely, that fight is rediculously intercut with the fight between Thesius and Mickey Rourke. And not only do we give not a damn about that part, but since the Titans have already been unleashed at that point, the human's storyline is ended and irrelevent now.
  This movie is frustratingly dark at times, too. I can't imagine how murkey it must have looked in 3D.
  It also has such stylized sets and scenes that I was often wondering just what I was looking at.
  Watch this movie only if you want to see lots and lots and LOTS of silly hats.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:12:18 AM by Darth Geek »

Russell

« Reply #11252 on: July 22, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
Immortals (2011) - When will filmmakers learn that in movies about Greak Gods (or other such mythologies) that WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HUMANS! So damn much is made about how important Thesius and the humans are, yet the Gods show up 1 hour into this movie for thirty seconds and do more awesome damage seemeingly effortlessly. And then they are gone again. Until the end, when they show up again to fight the Titans and the movie gets really cool again. Unfortuantely, that fight is rediculously intercut with the fight between Thesius and Mickey Rourke. And not only do we give not a damn about that part, but since the Titans have already been unleashed at that point, the human's storyline is ended and irrelevent now.
  This movie is frustratingly dark at times, too. I can't imagine how murkey it must have looked in 3D.
  It also has such stylized sets and scenes that I was often wondering just what I was looking at.
I think that this movie was stupid, boring, joyless, unnecessarily graphic, and even silly when it's supposed to be horrifying. Seriously, the scene where some guy's balls were smashed by a giant hammer I was giggling and I wanted to scream "That's not how you play croquet you silly shit!"

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #11253 on: July 22, 2012, 01:16:14 AM »
Immortals (2011) - When will filmmakers learn that in movies about Greak Gods

Greak?

Due to their collapsed economy, Greas was forced to sell off two of their E's and replace them with letters they salvaged from the former Yugo s lavi a .
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11254 on: July 22, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »

Greak?
D'oh! Fixed. You know, I USED to be a good speller...

Besides, it's connection to Greek mythology is embarrassingly bad. I mean, the Titans are not the Gods parents or anything. Just "other immortals" that were called Titans after they were defeated and enprisoned. Despite the fact that they seem pretty easily killable in the fight we see at the end.
Oh, forgot to mention... WHO THE HELL CAST A GUY WHO LOOKS LIKE LEGOLAS AS ZEUS?!!!!! What in all the hells, movie?!

But really, see this movie for all the silly hats. I am not kidding, if you thought Mickey Rourke's wierd lobster claw horned spiky face thing was stupid from the trailer, you aint seen anything yet!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 07:19:58 AM by Darth Geek »

Coragale

« Reply #11255 on: July 22, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »

TWO MAGIC!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11256 on: July 22, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »

Greak?

FINALLY! I had *no* idea what you meant until you changed that.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11257 on: July 22, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
The Amazing Spider-Man

Not that amazing.  Not really a bad movie, but not that great either.  As a Spidey fan there were a lot of small things that don't work for me, but in general the film doesn't feel like it holds together well, and there doesn't feel like there's much of a strong central theme to hold things together.  To quote Homer "It was just a bunch of stuff that happened".  It has some good pacing but a lot of small faults make me give it a marginal thumbs down.  Among those issues:
- Not enough comedy.  There are moments of great comedy, but it doesn't keep it up.  Spidey is the fun hero, so there should be more clowning and such.
- The Lizard is kind of dull.  Though the film was a bit heavy with different characters, I wish Curt Connors family were in this film.  They aren't exactly the most memorable characters, I always liked the idea that Connors accidental villainy constantly screws up his family life, just like Spider-Man's heroism interferes with his family life.  Without it, Lizard is like weak, evil mad scientist Hulk (not as good as it sounds)
- This'll make a good riff simply because there are lots of weird dialogue where suddenly characters spout off dialogue that sounds like it's supposed to sound heavy, but sounds ridiculous and trite (Ex. "He's a man of many masks", "Secrets have their price", Uncle Ben's ridiculously elegiac phone message). 
- The film seems disjointed to me, especially early on.  Uncle Ben's death is supposed to be a big motivating factor... so why does it feel like it sort of feels like it doesn't effect the story much?  Yeah, it gets him into costume, but after that it gets pushed aside for the Lizard stuff.  I know you don't want to go retreading the ground of the Spidey origin too much since it was already done, but it just felt perfunctory.

All the Right Moves

Never seen it, but I kind of liked it.  I was expecting a sports movie, but it turned out to be something quite different.  My one issue is the Mega-Happy-Ending at the end.  The film has earned a happy ending, and the events work, but it sort of felt like: "OK, can we just end this now?"  Still, not bad at all.

Blade Runner - Director's Cut

I think I like it, but it's hard to tell.  I know that sounds odd, but the story is good overall, the directing was good and I liked Harrison Ford.  Also, the opening is fantastic.  But it really is a slow-paced movie with a heavy, oppressive atmosphere, which is well created but is so bleak that it sapped my energy.  Still, I liked it.  I hear this is the best cut of it (is this true) and I really liked it, but I feel like I might have missed the point of the last scene.  I mean, I liked it, as it was effective, but I don't necessarily know why.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #11258 on: July 22, 2012, 12:56:26 PM »
Immortals (2011) - When will filmmakers learn that in movies about Greek Gods (or other such mythologies) that WE DON'T CARE ABOUT THE HUMANS! So damn much is made about how important Thesius and the humans are, yet the Gods show up 1 hour into this movie for thirty seconds and do more awesome damage seemeingly effortlessly. And then they are gone again. Until the end, when they show up again to fight the Titans and the movie gets really cool again. Unfortuantely, that fight is rediculously intercut with the fight between Thesius and Mickey Rourke. And not only do we give not a damn about that part, but since the Titans have already been unleashed at that point, the human's storyline is ended and irrelevent now.

I was just pissed at that movie for opening on 11/11/11, thus sullying the occasion of Nigel Tufnel Day.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11259 on: July 22, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Batman Begins - Still an excellent film. Of all the characters, this is the ONE that really does benefit from such an extensive origin, because Batman doesn't have superpowers, so everything comes from who he is.
  I will say, I still think the plot to disperse the drug seems too complicated, and doesn't really fit with what the League of Shadows says they want to do. If they just want to burn down Gotham and physically destroy it, which is what they say they have done at times in the past, then making everyone crazy doesn't really effect that.
  Watching it again, I have less of a problem with Rachel than I did first watching it. In fact, the very idea that she rejects him at the end is a switch that I admire.

Russell

« Reply #11260 on: July 22, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Batman Begins - Still an excellent film. Of all the characters, this is the ONE that really does benefit from such an extensive origin, because Batman doesn't have superpowers, so everything comes from who he is.
  I will say, I still think the plot to disperse the drug seems too complicated, and doesn't really fit with what the League of Shadows says they want to do. If they just want to burn down Gotham and physically destroy it, which is what they say they have done at times in the past, then making everyone crazy doesn't really effect that.
  Watching it again, I have less of a problem with Rachel than I did first watching it. In fact, the very idea that she rejects him at the end is a switch that I admire.
I will say that I think the plan of the League is not to destroy the city but simply to restore the "Balance" by killing the citizens, but leaving the physical city intact. I also liked how Ra's talked about how the League has existed for centuries by this time. The whole trilogy felt like it was even more grounded in realism because I can see an organization like the League of Shadows actually existing for such a long time. It was a very cool element.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #11261 on: July 22, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »

I noticed that, in The Dark Knight Rises, Bane's plan also has a lot of moving parts, which sometimes makes it hard to follow. The fact that Bane's motivations aren't explored much until WAY into the film doesn't help.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11262 on: July 22, 2012, 03:22:12 PM »

I noticed that, in The Dark Knight Rises, Bane's plan also has a lot of moving parts, which sometimes makes it hard to follow. The fact that Bane's motivations aren't explored much until WAY into the film doesn't help.
I agree. The plot was too overcomplicated.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:26:03 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11263 on: July 22, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Blade Runner - Director's Cut

I think I like it, but it's hard to tell.  I know that sounds odd, but the story is good overall, the directing was good and I liked Harrison Ford.  Also, the opening is fantastic.  But it really is a slow-paced movie with a heavy, oppressive atmosphere, which is well created but is so bleak that it sapped my energy.  Still, I liked it.  I hear this is the best cut of it (is this true) and I really liked it, but I feel like I might have missed the point of the last scene.  I mean, I liked it, as it was effective, but I don't necessarily know why.

The "final cut" is the best version, but it's hard to say that absolutely because I had already seen all the previous versions.  I liked some of the narration they put into the theatrical cut, have always thought taking it all out was going too far.  A lot of it was pointing out stuff you should think of on your own, so I do think there was way too much narration in the theatrical cut.  It was shoe horned in at the last minute by the financial backers of the film because they didn't understand it and got scared.  I only watch the final cut now and remember the bits I liked from the other versions.

As for the ending:

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11264 on: July 22, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
The Dark Knight - Still really like this one. Definitely the best of the trilogy. But I do have problems with it.
  Again, like DKR, it is waaaay too long. Part of that (and my other primary issue) is that Two Face becomes a villain way late and is then too quickly killed. Seriously, anybody who has a problem with the treatment of Venom in Spiderman 3 but doesn't think this is just as bad, I call BULLSHIT! Just like that movie, the creation of Two Face should have been the ending of the movie, with his storyline being the next sequel.
  I don't like Two Face's childish "it's not fair" motivations. Although if they had a full movie to go into them, they would have been more nuanced and interesting I am sure.
  I also still hate that somehow they can't cover up Two Face's crimes, and have to pin them on Batman. Wait, WHAT?! First of all, covering up stuff is what corrupt Gotham does best. And second, they have the Joker and his hundreds of goons that this could be pinned on. And yes, knowing that when Batman rides off into the darkness at the end, just to apparently park the Batpod and sit on his ass for 8 years, hurts the ending of this movie.
  And I cannot go without mentioning Richie Coster as the mob boss Chechen. You know, the "ma dugs or oongray!" guy. Jesus tapdancing Christ is this an embarrasingly bad performance in this movie! I like the actor, but this character would have gotten laughed off the Batman TV show.
  The "sonar vision" thing is pretty stupid as well. While I appreciate that it tries to bring up issues of over-reaching surveilance, it really doesn't do anything with that idea. And given that both this and the "bat beacon" from the first movie are never mentioned again, it is just another one movie wonder.
  Those things aside, this movie is very enjoyable, and I am able to get into it in a way I wasn't for DKR. The performance by the main cast are excellent, particularly Ledger as Joker, of course. His death is a real shame, and his movie roles are only a small portion compared to the loss of a life. However, I am curious what they would have done had they been able to use Joker.