Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582378 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11175 on: July 17, 2012, 02:02:23 PM »
In a post Robin Hood
Ever read about what it was supposed to be like? It was going to be awesome, and then....

Indeed, the older versions of the script seemed utterly fascinating. That it was Scott who ended up changing things to what they were should've been an indication to what was going to end up going down with Prometheus, but I just wanted to believe in that one so much.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11176 on: July 17, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
That whole writeup on Legend, and not one word on Tim Curry? He is EASILY the best thing in that movie, and the only real reason to watch it. But I do find his Darkness to be cool looking and entertaining. Too bad he wasn't in more of it.
I agree with you about how uncreative fantasies tend to be, but more on the same damn story and boring human characters than on creatures.
Oh, and you're WELCOME.

Once Satan-guy actually showed up, I was long past the point of finding enjoyment in anything in my life ever again. He was OK, I guess, but I'm not sure it really mattered who was under that makeup. He couldn't really emote...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11177 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
I tried watching Despicable Me last night, and quit about 45 minutes in.  When the little kids showed up, I thought, "No, they wouldn't be this formulaic, would they?"  And then he goes to the Disneyland theme park and I thought, "oh, they are doing this."

Maybe it was just that I heard that this was "OMFG SO AWESOME" so many times that it ruined it, but mostly I thought it was a piece of shit.    Megamind was much, much better, and The Incredibles is still the best thing in this genre.

Sounds like expectations were just way too high, it's certainly not a piece of shit.  Yes, The Incredibles was better.  This reminds me I still haven't seen Megamind.

Did you quit as they got to the amusement park or after, I thought the "getting the fuzzy unicorn" scene was a good laugh.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11178 on: July 17, 2012, 03:29:30 PM »
I didn't like the children, and I always hate it when a movie thinks dancing is the funniest thing ever, but I thought Despicable Me was decent. I think I liked Gru and not much else.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11179 on: July 17, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »
Megamind was much, much better, and The Incredibles is still the best thing in this genre.

Would you count Venture Bros in the genre?  Maybe not better than Incredibles, but it rivals.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11180 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
I didn't like the children, and I always hate it when a movie thinks dancing is the funniest thing ever, but I thought Despicable Me was decent. I think I liked Gru and not much else.
Yeah, Gru was great. And I loved the minions, too. I did love his rivalry with the Steve Jobs-ish villain. The kids were cute, but the primary problem with them is that they pulled Gru away from what made him interesting, his supervillainy. Which is why I am concerned about the sequel, because he wasn't as interesting at the end of the movie as he was at the beginning. If anything, this is the kind of project where a prequel might be best. Because we get to see his in all his glory, not a pussified family man.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #11181 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »
Megamind was much, much better, and The Incredibles is still the best thing in this genre.

Would you count Venture Bros in the genre?  Maybe not better than Incredibles, but it rivals.

Don't think you're gonna get a lot of Venture love from Im.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11182 on: July 17, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
I stopped a few minutes after that, when he gets home and it's clear he's going to be all "fulfilled and happy because of love" and all that shit.  Movies: be entertaining, not treacly.

I also loathed Monsters, Inc., so you can take that into consideration.  I kind of wanted that girl to burst into flames.

I dislike Monsters Inc. too. And A Bug's Life and Cars (didn't bother with Cars 2, for obvious reasons). I thought Despicable Me managed to rise above its cliches often enough to remain entertaining. I doubt I'll watch it again though.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #11183 on: July 17, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
Apparently we watched the director's cut of Legend, so I guess I can attribute about 25 minutes of tedium to that. Also, it seems the DX has a completely different score, which was garbage. I wonder what the original score was like, but I'm sure as hell not going to watch the whole movie again to find out.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11184 on: July 17, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »
I stopped a few minutes after that, when he gets home and it's clear he's going to be all "fulfilled and happy because of love" and all that shit.  Movies: be entertaining, not treacly.

I also loathed Monsters, Inc., so you can take that into consideration.  I kind of wanted that girl to burst into flames.

I dislike Monsters Inc. too. And A Bug's Life and Cars (didn't bother with Cars 2, for obvious reasons). I thought Despicable Me managed to rise above its cliches often enough to remain entertaining. I doubt I'll watch it again though.

I don't think I've watched Monsters Inc. or A Bug's Life more than once, I didn't dislike them, they just didn't make me laugh that much.  Cars I liked enough to upgrade to Blu-Ray when it went under $10, but I've never seen Cars 2, the clips I've seen haven't made me want to watch it at all.

Despicable Me makes me laugh every time I watch it (and looks great in 3D), so I don't care if it gets a bit too saccharine here and there.

As for a Despicable Me sequel, hmmm, that might be in the same catagory as Cars 2.   The first ones are unique and have a nice endings, no need for sequels.

MontyServo

« Reply #11185 on: July 17, 2012, 07:11:52 PM »

You are an evil, hate filled person with a black soul.   :P

Liked Despicable Me, was rather meh on Megamind. 

Loved Monsters Inc. and still quote it to this day.  I still have a little Boo plush toy around here somewhere that I bought after the film came out.  I also had the talking Boo doll, but gave that away.

Hated both Cars films.  Proof that Pixar is not infallible.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #11186 on: July 17, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
Apparently we watched the director's cut of Legend, so I guess I can attribute about 25 minutes of tedium to that. Also, it seems the DX has a completely different score, which was garbage. I wonder what the original score was like, but I'm sure as hell not going to watch the whole movie again to find out.
The score in the original is the same as the director's cut.  It was changed to the Tangerine Dream one for the original US release.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11187 on: July 17, 2012, 07:25:04 PM »
The score in the original is the same as the director's cut.  It was changed to the Tangerine Dream one for the original US release.

Where was it originally released?

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #11188 on: July 17, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »

Where was it originally released?

Composer Jerry Goldsmith's original score was removed by the studio after the first round of test screenings. In an effort to appeal to "the kids", executives commissioned Tangerine Dream to create a replacement. Until 2002, Goldsmith's original score was heard only with the film's European release.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #11189 on: July 17, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
Composer Jerry Goldsmith's original score was removed by the studio after the first round of test screenings. In an effort to appeal to "the kids", executives commissioned Tangerine Dream to create a replacement. Until 2002, Goldsmith's original score was heard only with the film's European release.
[/quote]

I see. Well, Tangerine Dream did a pretty good job with the Risky Business score.