login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537332 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11085 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
Oh, and I did my regular viewing of "American" themed movies on the 4th. Since it's been pretty grim lately, I went with mostly light hearted stuff.

Eurotrip (It's not a patriotic film, but I do enjoy the "Americans abroad being idiots" aspect of it.)
Team America: World Police
Independence Day

Russell

« Reply #11086 on: July 05, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
The amazing Spider-man. It was good. It was no Batman Begins but it was better than the last three damn Spider-man movies.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11087 on: July 05, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
The amazing Spider-man. It was good. It was no Batman Begins but it was better than the last three damn Spider-man movies.

Better than Spider-Man 2? That's a tall order right there.

Russell

« Reply #11088 on: July 05, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »

Yep, it was better than Spider-man 2. Sometimes "Darker" doesn't work in a movies favor(See Revenge of the Sith), but it works beautifully here. Andrew Garfield is better than Tobey Maguire, the love interest isn't just someone who has to be rescued every five minutes, it's more emotionally engrossing, and most importantly... just enough is resolved yet just as many plot threads are left hanging at the end.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:13:11 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #11089 on: July 05, 2012, 08:44:03 PM »

Yep, it was better than Spider-man 2. Sometimes "Darker" doesn't work in a movies favor(See Revenge of the Sith), but it works beautifully here. Andrew Garfield is better than Tobey Maguire, the love interest isn't just someone who has to be rescued every five minutes, it's more emotionally engrossing, and most importantly... just enough is resolved yet just as many plot threads are left hanging at the end.

The only thing I'd give Spider-Man 2 the edge in is the villain.  Doc Ock was perfectly done in that movie, whereas I thought The Lizard was just OK.  I also really loved the train scene.  Other than that, I agree that Amazing Spider-Man was better, if only because the two leads were so much better.  I also really agree with your point about the love interest actually having something to do.  That was a nice touch.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11090 on: July 05, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
I just watched "The 39 Steps" on my new blu ray Janelle got for me. Woo!! Hitchcock!!!
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #11091 on: July 05, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »

The only thing I'd give Spider-Man 2 the edge in is the villain.  Doc Ock was perfectly done in that movie, whereas I thought The Lizard was just OK.  I also really loved the train scene.  Other than that, I agree that Amazing Spider-Man was better, if only because the two leads were so much better.  I also really agree with your point about the love interest actually having something to do.  That was a nice touch.

I'd say the same about Spider-Man 1.  Amazing Spider-man was better in every way but the villain, and nothing against The Lizard, he was great.  It had to do with William Dafoe and Alfred Molina nailing their parts.  Other than that, I think this was in every way superior.  better love interest, better story, and most importantly, a FAR better Peter Parker.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11092 on: July 06, 2012, 05:25:52 AM »
While I did like Tobey Maguire (except in his emo mopey phase in Spiderman 3), I agree that Garfield here was better. And I did like that Gwen Stacey was shown to be intelligent and not in need of saving.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11093 on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »
The Raid

Amazing and intense action movie, perhaps a weak ending but still pretty staggering
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11094 on: July 06, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
I also really loved the train scene.

I think the train scene was the best scene in any of the 4 movies.

I really liked Amazing Spider-man.  My biggest complaint was the same problem that most super hero movies have:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #11095 on: July 06, 2012, 09:52:46 AM »
Spider-Man costume is not the same thing as with Avengers though, no one in Avangers is hiding their identity.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11096 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
Spider-Man costume is not the same thing as with Avengers though, no one in Avangers is hiding their identity.

Agreed.  And I like that about the Avengers.

Coragale

« Reply #11097 on: July 06, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »
I thought Amazing Spiderman looked awful from the trailers, and the reviewer I tend to trust absolutely hated it. I can't see myself watching it, even when it's at the dollar theater.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11098 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
I thought Amazing Spiderman looked awful from the trailers, and the reviewer I tend to trust absolutely hated it. I can't see myself watching it, even when it's at the dollar theater.

Same here. I was surprised to hear all the praise here on the forum. I'll probably wait to rent it when it comes to Redbox.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11099 on: July 06, 2012, 01:10:13 PM »
I don't get why everyone is so in love with Spider-Man 2.  He went all "emo" in the third one, sure... with the haircut and the dancing and what-not.... but he was whiny as shit in 2.  Over half the movie was him whimpering and crying "...but Mary Jane, I LOVE you..."

Yes, the Doc Ock stuff was pretty cool... but the sappy emo stuff in 2 was just vomit inducing.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.