Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538138 times)

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11070 on: July 01, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
Ted

Fucking amazing!  A really really funny movie that I can't wait to see again.  So glad I didn't wait and went to see this now in theaters.  Might go see it again when I have a chance!

I saw this today too and I agree. This movie was so much better than a Seth McFarlane movie about a fucking teddy bear had any right to be.

MontyServo

« Reply #11071 on: July 01, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »
Ted

Fucking amazing!  A really really funny movie that I can't wait to see again.  So glad I didn't wait and went to see this now in theaters.  Might go see it again when I have a chance!

I saw this today too and I agree. This movie was so much better than a Seth McFarlane movie about a fucking teddy bear had any right to be.

And to think that Fox passed on it and let Seth take this to Universal.  The film is looking at a $50 million opening weekend and, I am sure with the word of mouth on this thing, a final total of $150-200 domestic.

MontyServo

« Reply #11072 on: July 01, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
Just watched 21 Jump Street again (saw it in theaters a few months back).

Still funny, but didn't hold up as well on a second viewing as I hoped it would.  Will put this one on the shelf for a few years and revisit it at some point.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #11073 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:28 AM »
I watched 2 movies last night.

First I watched Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4.  I'm not a big fan of horror movies.  They're usually more boring and gory than scary.  I watched 2 of the Halloween movies and all of the Friday the 13th movies.  I found those to be just dull waiting for the superhuman sociopath to kill everyone off.

The NOES movies were the only ones I found really scary.  The later movies get criticized sometimes because Krueger becomes more into wisecracking and taunting the victims with elaborate deaths.  What creeps me out about the NOES movies, though, is the way Freddy is sort of a demigod in his realm.  Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees are immortal superhuman homicidal maniacs, but Freddy Krueger can alter reality itself.  It the 4th movie, he turns a girl into a cockroach and crushes her in a cockroach trap.  In the 5th movie he turns a comic book fan into a sheet of paper and shreds him with his claws.  Scary stuff.

Other movie I saw was called Entry Level.  It's about a 38 year old guy who owns a restaurant which closes, so he quits the culinary business and struggles to find work in the corporate world.  He's trying for the kinds of dull, entry level jobs which you get when you don't have experience or education because he feels completely jaded about the culinary world.  It's a lighthearted comedy, and quite an emotional pallete cleanser after watching a Freddy Krueger movie.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11074 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:52 AM »
Went and saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter today. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Going in knowing that it's a Grahame-Smith novel would make you think it's going to be a comedy, but it plays the premise completely straight. Really interesting and pretty cool to watch.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm interested in a serious movie.  I was really hoping for something like Evil Dead 2.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11075 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
I love cheesy movies, and I found a bunch at a yard sale last week.  Score for Mrs. Dick!  Here's the first one.

Love Potion #9

A movie based on a song?  Yes!  Made in 1990 and Sandra Bullock's first starring role.  It also stars the guy from Disney's Hercules, Dylan Baker, and Adrian Paul.

Cheesy yes, but I enjoyed it.  I admit it.  Shame...shame....
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11076 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:37 PM »
I love cheesy movies, and I found a bunch at a yard sale last week.  Score for Mrs. Dick!  Here's the first one.

Love Potion #9

A movie based on a song?  Yes!  Made in 1990 and Sandra Bullock's first starring role.  It also stars the guy from Disney's Hercules, Dylan Baker, and Adrian Paul.

Cheesy yes, but I enjoyed it.  I admit it.  Shame...shame....
Yeah, I like that movie too. And Bullock is very sexy in it, too.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #11077 on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:27 PM »
Judge Dredd.

The whole movie is on YouTube if you're interested.

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #11078 on: July 03, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Amazing Spider-Man

I really loved this.  I wish they hadn't done the origin story again (I think I'd have gone with a Tim Burton's Batman approach, where Batman was already Batman when the movie started, and we got little flashbacks of the origin).  That being said, if they were going to do the whole origin again, I'm glad they did it this well, as I really enjoyed it.   I loved Garfield's Peter Parker and Emma Stone is awesome, as always, and they have very good chemistry.  I'll take them over Maguire and Dunst any day.  Leary was good as Capt. Stacy, though I felt he needed to get his priorities straight.  Him being obsessed with catching Spider-Man early in the film, when Spidey is just catching random thugs, makes sense.  Not so much when there's a giant mutant lizard rampaging through NY and he's still shouting about wanting Spider-Man off the streets.

PS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11079 on: July 03, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
I watched 2 movies last night.

First I watched Nightmare on Elm Street Part 4.  I'm not a big fan of horror movies.  They're usually more boring and gory than scary.  I watched 2 of the Halloween movies and all of the Friday the 13th movies.  I found those to be just dull waiting for the superhuman sociopath to kill everyone off.

The NOES movies were the only ones I found really scary.  The later movies get criticized sometimes because Krueger becomes more into wisecracking and taunting the victims with elaborate deaths.  What creeps me out about the NOES movies, though, is the way Freddy is sort of a demigod in his realm.  Michael Myers and Jason Voorhees are immortal superhuman homicidal maniacs, but Freddy Krueger can alter reality itself.  It the 4th movie, he turns a girl into a cockroach and crushes her in a cockroach trap.  In the 5th movie he turns a comic book fan into a sheet of paper and shreds him with his claws.  Scary stuff.

Other movie I saw was called Entry Level.  It's about a 38 year old guy who owns a restaurant which closes, so he quits the culinary business and struggles to find work in the corporate world.  He's trying for the kinds of dull, entry level jobs which you get when you don't have experience or education because he feels completely jaded about the culinary world.  It's a lighthearted comedy, and quite an emotional pallete cleanser after watching a Freddy Krueger movie.

Here for an obligatory plug for my NOES riffs.  That is all.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

MontyServo

« Reply #11080 on: July 03, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
Wanderlust

Was hoping it would have more laughs considering the star and makers of it.  It did have it's moments but wasn't really anything I would want to watch again.  I am about 75% through the "Bizarro Cut" of the film also.  Will try to finish that tomorrow.  Some funny stuff in that.

Paul Rudd does his best in this, but doesn't really have much to work with.  I still think he is great, but this wasn't his best film.  I am hoping for much better stuff later this year in This Is 40.  And Jennifer Aniston, I am so frustrated by her.  I think she has fantastic comic timing and can possibly be a great comedic actress, but I am still waiting for that home run performance from her.  There were a few glimmers of that in this, but ultimately it was disappointing.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:41:19 AM by Monty »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #11081 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Boarding Gate
An erotic thriller with Asia Argento and Michael Madsen. Not very erotic. Not very thrilling. And every damn character keeps speaking in a whisper. The sounds of a beer can opening are louder than any of the characters. And nothing happens for the first 45 minutes.  And then the next 45 minutes ... and in the end, still nothing much has happened. Complete waste of time.

MontyServo

« Reply #11082 on: July 04, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
Boarding Gate
An erotic thriller with Asia Argento and Michael Madsen. Not very erotic. Not very thrilling. And every damn character keeps speaking in a whisper. The sounds of a beer can opening are louder than any of the characters. And nothing happens for the first 45 minutes.  And then the next 45 minutes ... and in the end, still nothing much has happened. Complete waste of time.

What what do you expect from a movie about waiting to take a flight somewhere?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11083 on: July 04, 2012, 12:36:24 PM »
Amazing Spider-Man

I really loved this.  I wish they hadn't done the origin story again (I think I'd have gone with a Tim Burton's Batman approach, where Batman was already Batman when the movie started, and we got little flashbacks of the origin).  That being said, if they were going to do the whole origin again, I'm glad they did it this well, as I really enjoyed it.   I loved Garfield's Peter Parker and Emma Stone is awesome, as always, and they have very good chemistry.  I'll take them over Maguire and Dunst any day.  Leary was good as Capt. Stacy, though I felt he needed to get his priorities straight.  Him being obsessed with catching Spider-Man early in the film, when Spidey is just catching random thugs, makes sense.  Not so much when there's a giant mutant lizard rampaging through NY and he's still shouting about wanting Spider-Man off the streets.

PS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

APGIL and I went to see Spider-Man on opening night. I agree with everything you said; the fact that they delved into the origin story is what has set many movie critics against this movie ("We've seen all of this before!"). Frankly, I didn't mind that, although we all already know the story and the movie ran a little too long for my tastes. I did like the whole "what happened to his parents" thing, because they didn't really address that in the Raimi movies, I don't think.

Andrew Garfield was just wonderful -- sweet and funny and snarky and nicely nerdy. A smile he gave Aunt May when he came home was the thing that really sold me on him. Emma Stone was great, too; she gave life to a role that, for most of the movie, basically requires the female lead to sit on her hands while Spider-Man has all the fun.

I loved the spider abilities they gave Peter -- the vibrations he picked up from his webbing, his ability to spin a cocoon around his enemies, his body language when he was leaping off of the bridge. Those were amazing and even now I'm getting all misty because it was just so awesome to see brought to life.

The only thing that bothered me about the film was the melodrama. I think Peter Parker cried like five or six times and there was too much romance. Not nearly enough ass-kicking for my tastes. They could have cut out a few tear-filled scenes as far as I was concerned.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #11084 on: July 04, 2012, 09:50:30 PM »
Boarding Gate

What what do you expect from a movie about waiting to take a flight somewhere?

And that's another thing- the title makes no sense. She takes a flight. There's about 15 seconds in the airport and a minute or two on the flight. 100 minutes of film, 3 minutes airport related and it's a minor part of the film. It's like calling Star Wars "Bar Fight." It's not the major point of the film.