Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584842 times)

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10995 on: June 17, 2012, 06:06:19 AM »
Demoted

the office outcast/dork, played by Cross.
You don't say.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:15:56 AM by Space version 2.0 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10996 on: June 17, 2012, 12:30:43 PM »
Splinter - This was a pretty good creature feature. A boyfriend and girlfriend get taken hostage at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and are terrorized by dead people infected with some sort of spiky fungus or something, likely of alien origin. The creature effects are top notch, everything practical (that I could tell). And the ways they move are disturbingly inhuman and painful. The acting is good too. There is shaky cam, which was unneccessary (as all shakycam is). But I could still tell most of what was going on in those scenes, so it wasn't as frustrating as usual.
  The one thing I was trepedatious about before I watched it was the seemingly unneccesary criminal taking them hostage. Shades of the beginning of From Dusk Till Dawn, which I absolutely LOATHED the first half of. But this is established and used in a much more efficient and effective manner here. Yes, the criminal guy is immediately loathsome and deserving of death. But there is no "now he's the hero just because the situation changed" type bullshit. He stays being dangerous and just as much a threat through most of the movie. I did think the reveal of his motives near the end were TOO hard trying to make us sympathize with him at least a little bit. But it wasn't enough to really hurt the movie.
  I also liked that there is no explanation to the origin of this thing. For all we know, the ones who survive might be walking away just to find the whole world or at least next town overrun with these things.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10997 on: June 17, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
Splinter - This was a pretty good creature feature. A boyfriend and girlfriend get taken hostage at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and are terrorized by dead people infected with some sort of spiky fungus or something, likely of alien origin. The creature effects are top notch, everything practical (that I could tell). And the ways they move are disturbingly inhuman and painful. The acting is good too. There is shaky cam, which was unneccessary (as all shakycam is). But I could still tell most of what was going on in those scenes, so it wasn't as frustrating as usual.
  The one thing I was trepedatious about before I watched it was the seemingly unneccesary criminal taking them hostage. Shades of the beginning of From Dusk Till Dawn, which I absolutely LOATHED the first half of. But this is established and used in a much more efficient and effective manner here. Yes, the criminal guy is immediately loathsome and deserving of death. But there is no "now he's the hero just because the situation changed" type bullshit. He stays being dangerous and just as much a threat through most of the movie. I did think the reveal of his motives near the end were TOO hard trying to make us sympathize with him at least a little bit. But it wasn't enough to really hurt the movie.
  I also liked that there is no explanation to the origin of this thing. For all we know, the ones who survive might be walking away just to find the whole world or at least next town overrun with these things.

Yeah, that one's a winner. Not enough solid bodyhorror movies out these days, so I'm glad it succeeded. There is some bits of CGI that don't quite fit (mostly during the big attack sequences, and usually sorta-masked by that shakycam), but the practical stuff is aces.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10998 on: June 17, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
HULK vs. Wolverine - Still really love these (this and vs. Thor). Good use of the mythology and history. For a short movie that is just mostly fighting, they did enough to keep it fresh. And I really liked the use of Deadpool. I want to see a Deadpool animated movie so much. I would also like to see a live action movie, too. If Chris Evans can be two superheroes, I see no reason Ryan Reanolds can't still be Deadpool. His sense of humor works much better for that character anyway.

MontyServo

« Reply #10999 on: June 17, 2012, 06:37:10 PM »
Puss In Boots

Decent action-adventure toon with some scattered laughs throughout.  Not as silly as I was expecting which turned out to be a good thing.  I watched this in 3D and the 3D was great, lots of depth and some cool effects.  But that was to be expected with an animated 3D film.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:53:52 AM by Monty »

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11000 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:56 AM »
It's Nunyer's 1st annual CHILDREN'S ESPIONAGE MOVIE SPECTACULAR!

Spy Kids 4: Some Stupid Subtitle about Time
My wife thought it would be fun if my sons picked out my father's day gift... And thinking only of my happiness, they decided that Spy Kids 4 would be the perfect gift. Better than a tie I guess.... but not nearly as cool as the Angry Birds boxer shorts I got last year. 

Anyways, I generally go easy on the Robert Rodriguez kids movies... whether the Spy Kids series or Sharkboy and Lava Girl... just because they have a certain surreal and apeshit insane quality... He writes downright fucked up scripts that really could come from a 10 year old deciding to make his own movie. This isn't a slam on Rodriguez... it's actually kinda neat... just like playing make believe in the backyard during summer vacation... everything has a certain "make it up as you go along" vibe. Kids don't really care if it all makes sense in the end... as long as playtime was fun while it was happening.

Of course, after a fun turn in the first film, the Spy Kids series slowly lost the surreal, insane and ape qualities and just became shit. The fourth film, complete with new kids, continues on the downward slope of diminishing returns. Lots of fart and puke jokes... adults with nothing to do... with poor Jessica Alba and Joel McHale appearing to mentally count their paychecks during every scene. About the only saving graces are some surprisingly good scenes from Jeremy Piven as the villain (he was the only 'big name' actor in this wreck that appeared to care at all)... There were also a few funny one-liners from Ricky Gervais as the voice of the robot dog. The kids from the original trilogy return as adult spies... and I gotta say... the original Spy Kid girl is all grown up and quite easy on the eyes. Kids under 8 years old might like it... but even that is a reach.

The Spy Next Door
Jackie Chan is getting old... Although I suppose he could be doing worse than the occasional family friendly movie and playing the schill for V8 health drinks as he knocks on the door of sixty. The Spy Next Door is low budget, not very good and filled with non-actors like Billy Ray Cyrus, George Lopez and the guy who played Sportacus in Lazy Town... Still, Chan has charisma to burn, the kid actors aren't bad... and the trademark Chan fight choreography is still present... even if it's been neutered a bit.. both to be more kid friendly and I'm sure to lessen the wear and tear on Chan. The story is too cliche and silly to even discuss, but it has some moments. The low budget vibe was enjoyable, in places the bad acting and nonsensical plot elements reminded me more of his Hong Kong heyday, despite this not being a big action/stunt extravaganza. Still, even if you are a big fan of Jackie Chan, this isn't something that can be recommended... My kids liked it a lot more than Spy Kids 4... not as if that is saying much.

Cloak and Dagger
This one will always remain a guilty pleasure... and I've watched it a few times since it was released on DVD a few years back. While I do find it a bit creepy, when watching this as a adult, to hear Dabney Coleman repeatedly tell the kid from ET to kill bad guys.... overall this movie still works... at the very least it holds up very well considering it uses the Atari 5700 as a plot device. Speaking of the kid from ET, he really was a pretty darn good actor... and Dabney Coleman was great during the 1980s in just about anything. If you have fond memories of this one as a kid, I'd recommend a rental viewing... obviously aimed at 12 year olds... but it rises above that in a lot of ways... a decent little thriller that neither panders to kids or completely insults the grown ups.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #11001 on: June 18, 2012, 10:51:20 AM »
My wife thought it would be fun if my sons picked out my father's day gift... And thinking only of my happiness, they decided that Spy Kids 4 would be the perfect gift. Better than a tie I guess.... but not nearly as cool as the Angry Birds boxer shorts I got last year.

Your wife hates you. What a terrible idea for a father's day gift.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11002 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »

Your wife hates you. What a terrible idea for a father's day gift.

I have to agree. Kids are self-centered little things. It's not really a bad thing, it's just how it is. So asking them to pick something out for you is just asking for a more adult version of what they want. If you're lucky. If not, you end up with a Dora the Explorer DVD.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11003 on: June 18, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
Demon Seed

This is not a good movie, but there's a lot going on that makes me think that it could make for a good remake.  It feels like it's weakness was inconsistency.  It also seemed like it was going for ambiguity, which makes for memorable sci-fi in my opinion, but I feel that it didn't quite work in the consistency of Proteus, as at times it just seems like an asshole thug and others as a cold, calculating computer who doesn't think like we do and therefore cannot be judged so easily.  I feel like it did as much good stuff as weak (and a couple moments downright stupid.  I like that the final scene is supposed to be left open to interpretation as to whether it's a hopeful or pessimistic one, but then it is undercut by some cheesy sounding music.  Still, the geometric robot was pretty cool. I kind of wish he played more of a part.  Worth checking out, but not recommended, if that makes sense.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #11004 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »
Spy Kids 4 sucks balls.

Anyways, today I watched Blue Velvet, which I appreciate and enjoyed in some parts and other parts...not so much. I don't need to tell you guys that it's bizarre but it's alright.

After hearing about it in the Movies That Will Suck thread, I decided to watch Clue. It's pretty stupid and it is pretty bi-polar (switching from serious mystery to comedy, with a few exceptions). The three different endings thing is pretty neat though.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11005 on: June 18, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »
I don't need you to tell me Blue Velvet is bizarre!  I want you to...well, you know the rest.

Probably my favorite non sequitur moment in that movie is the scene with the car by the wood mill.  Never has a tube of lipstick and a dancing woman ever come together in such hilarious insanity.

Most recent movie?  Club Dread.  Didn't have high hopes for it, since I'm not a big Broken Lizard fan (watched Super Troopers and really don't remember much of what happened in it, which is unusual for me since I remember almost everything in every movie), but it had some good lines..."You've manacled me to my deathbed, you Piccadilly Whore!"
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Coragale

« Reply #11006 on: June 20, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »
Went and saw Cabin in the Woods tonight. SO good. Seriously. Go see it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11007 on: June 20, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
It's still playing near you? Hasn't been around here in a while.

Loved it, and I can't wait for it to come out on BluRay.

Coragale

« Reply #11008 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:51 AM »

It was at the cheap theater, and last night it was only a dollar per ticket. WELL worth it.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11009 on: June 20, 2012, 10:22:14 AM »

It was at the cheap theater, and last night it was only a dollar per ticket. WELL worth it.

Yeah, it's still at the discount theater near my house. My brother took his girlfriend the other night to see it (she hadn't watched it yet), and she loved it. Which is good; means she's a keeper.