Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582112 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10935 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
Piranha 3DD

Wow... I guess this must be what part one looked like if splattercore b-movies aren't your thing?  Misfired on almost every level for me.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Coragale

« Reply #10936 on: June 03, 2012, 10:14:05 PM »
Green Lantern is a depressing movie that didn't do anything with the awesome universe in the comics.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #10937 on: June 04, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
I haven't seen the cut made in the 80s, is that the one with the rock soundtrack?

I think so. I guess many people don't like that version but without that version, we wouldn't have The Complete Metropolis (the 80s one was the first version to include lost footage).

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10938 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:13 AM »
I kept forgetting that Brad Bird directed Ghost Protocol, so that's probably why it took so long to watch it.  I remember liking the first MI movie, but barely remember the plot. Didn't like part 2 and skipped part 3 entirely, so it was a real shock to the system when I ended up loving this one.

I think you should give part 3 a try
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10939 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
The Woman in Black

A good old fashioned ghost story starring Harry Potter.    Harry plays a lawyer sent to a small town where the children keep dying.  There is a legend of the woman in black who appears every time one dies.  I don't want to give away too much.  But Harry is good in it.  Well, I guess I should start calling him Daniel Ratcliffe now, I think he's proven himself to be a good actor in anything.  Highly recommend it.

And it was made by Hammmer films, I didn't even know they were still making movies.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10940 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »

[/quote]
I kept forgetting that Brad Bird directed Ghost Protocol, so that's probably why it took so long to watch it.  I remember liking the first MI movie, but barely remember the plot. Didn't like part 2 and skipped part 3 entirely, so it was a real shock to the system when I ended up loving this one.

Yeah, Part 3 is much better than 2. And MI:2 is worth it only for the great Quiptracks riff.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #10941 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
I seem to be in the tiny minority for my ambivalence for Ghost Protocol. I liked a number of the action beats, but a lot of the rest of the film really didn't work for me (especially the terribly lackluster villain). Then again, the entire MI series (all entries) have never really worked for me, so it's probably just me. Bird did a great job, of course, and I'll take anything else he has to offer.

I watched it this weekend, and while I enjoyed it, it didn't blow me away by any stretch. I agree about the villain, too. What he was doing was scary and gnarly, but he seemed to sort of loaf around doing it. He definitely picked up his game during the final fight, but it did cross my mind how that guy was so capable of staying in a fight with Hunt. It's funny, because I never usually notice shit like that.

The thing that bugged me most about the movie, though, was the fact that I was extremely aware that it was Tom Cruise on the screen. I don't know if it's his acting style, or that his off-screen persona is influencing how I see him, but I find his presence distracting. It was evident throughout the entire movie, but it was downright jarring at the end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10942 on: June 04, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
The Woman in Black

A good old fashioned ghost story starring Harry Potter.    Harry plays a lawyer sent to a small town where the children keep dying.  There is a legend of the woman in black who appears every time one dies.  I don't want to give away too much.  But Harry is good in it.  Well, I guess I should start calling him Daniel Ratcliffe now, I think he's proven himself to be a good actor in anything.  Highly recommend it.

And it was made by Hammmer films, I didn't even know they were still making movies.
I still like the radio adaptation best but I enjoyed this one a lot too. Was amazed when I found out Liz White plave Jennet; this is what I tend to think of her looking like:

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10943 on: June 05, 2012, 04:01:02 AM »
The Woman in Black

I still like the radio adaptation best but I enjoyed this one a lot too. Was amazed when I found out Liz White plave Jennet; this is what I tend to think of her looking like:

Wow,good to see her getting work.  Life on Mars was awesome.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #10944 on: June 05, 2012, 08:07:16 AM »
The Woman in Black

That's Zooey Deschanel, right?
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10945 on: June 05, 2012, 08:23:42 AM »
The Woman in Black

Only if she is British and stared in one of the best Tv series ever made.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #10946 on: June 05, 2012, 11:37:16 AM »

There is a similarity; mainly, the eyes.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10947 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »
I would need to do an in-depth study to confirm any similarities ...

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5178
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10948 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
she is British and stared in one of the best Tv series ever made.
Based on the picture, this might not be a typo.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10949 on: June 05, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Merantau - This tries to do for silat and Indonesia what Ong Bak did for muy thai and Thailand and what Sticks of Death did for arnis and the Philippines.  Which is to introduce it to a wider Western audience via a loving tribute of punching and kicking and cultural stuff like really bad acting and nonsensical plots.  The main fighting dude has real talent and I really like that he follows the Jackie Chan route and lets himself actually get beat up.  The fights are a little slow to build and the grunt cues from the stunt team are a little too obvious but there's some really good fighting here.  The same crew did the much better, even more straightforward The Raid and there's already a remarkable increase in confidence and skill level just one movie later.

The Innkeepers - Boring ghost story.  Boring boring boring boring boring boring for 98% of the movie and then it gets really awesome towards the very end. 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!