login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537915 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5643
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10800 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
I saw Pirahna 3d earlier today.  Any film that has Kelly Brook in it has a degree of my below the belt attention, but its a pretty good, cheesy Jaws knock-off that's very knowing in tone.  I enjoyed it.

You should have seen it in 3D, it was an amazing experience

I was at the midnight opening show for that, with a friend of mine and my younger brother. And though the audience was sadly much too small, we all had an absolute blast. One of the most balls-out (in every way) ridiculous gorefests I've ever seen, to the point where I needed something seriously innocent afterward to calm down. The 3D was delicious (if vomit-tinged) icing on the cake.

I can't wait for the sequel. I'm dragging as many friends as I can to that opening night.

When I saw it, the row behind us was teenage girls and the row in front was a group of reeeeeeally young boys on a birthday I suppose (so young they said "eww" at the naked women) with a parent who I guess didn't know much about the movie going in.  She looked like she'd been in a car accident when the lights went up, it was fantastic.

I seriously can't think of a better audience to see it with
:clap: :clap: awesome.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10801 on: May 10, 2012, 09:29:09 AM »
Red Planet

Bargin bin Blu-Ray I picked up, had seen most of it on TV before.  Passable science fiction if you ignore most of the events that move the story (I guess in the future we have even less solar flare detection systems in place than we did when the movie was made in 2000).  It's got Carrie-Anne Moss to look at so there's a plus.  The AMEE robot is cool, wish it had more screen time than some of the actors...

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10802 on: May 10, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
Loverboy

Or Just a Gigolo, the motion picture.

An old movie (late 80s I'm thinking) starring a bunch of familiar faces, Patrick Dempsey, Vic Tayback, Kate Jackson, Kirstie Alley before she became annoying, a pumped up Patrick Swayze lookalike.  But hey wait...it's the Paper Chase guy!  And the Dottie from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure!

Cute movie, young man starts delivering pizzas and hooks up with rich white woman who starts him on the path of male prostitution.  Good, clean, family fun!

Robert Ginty isn't too bad in this, never seen him in anything other than "Warrior of the Lost World", I don't think so anyway.  He had a manly 'stache, and was very easy to understand.

Opticians are easy on the eyes

MontyServo

« Reply #10803 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:56 PM »
Clueless

Just picked this one up on Blu Ray.  A fantastic transfer.  Looks really great as this movie is very bright and colorful.

I love this movie.  Alicia Silverstone is adorable in it and this is probably her best work.  She peaked here unfortunately.

Movie has a great soundtrack too.

One of my '90s faves!

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #10804 on: May 10, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
Disney's HERCULES!

I'm trying to play The Nostalgia Chick's Hercules drinking game. I'm on my third attempt. The first time, I ran out of booze. The second time, I got sick-- I felt myself getting sick from the alcohol and starting chasing each swig with Coke, and that just gave me gas, if you've never been really drunk and really gassy, I'll say this: I do NOT recommend it! I felt as though I was going to die.

So I'm trying it again, and I'm drunk off my ass. I originally thought the list of things to drink to was way too long to remember, but by writing it all down, it all managed to stick inside my brain.

Hercules is easily the worst Disney Renaissance movie for me, but in a lot of ways, it's GOOD! DeVito is great in it, James Woods as Hades: GENIUS, and I think Megera is a really great romantic interest. And yet, it's STILL at the bottom of the Disney Renaissance list for me. I don't know WHY I find this movie off-putting, but it has some ineffable quality to it that wrecks the movie.

Well, if you wanna try the Nostalgia Chick's drinking game, check it out: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/team-nchick/nostalgia-chick/27032-hercules

Be warned, it's not for lightweights! It's beaten me twice already, and I can hold my liquor pretty well! But THIS TIME, I'm going to beat this game! As GOD as my witness, I will win this, even if I have to obliterate my liver to do it!
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10805 on: May 11, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »
Is it Scarfe's character design maybe? I mean, he's not really a natural or immediate choice for a Disney production, I could see how they might have a vague disconcerting effect .

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #10806 on: May 11, 2012, 08:54:01 AM »

This is a cool movie & Chan Wai Man is such a bad ass.

Check this out, just ignore the crappy added sound effects.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rg0wfyACzCQ#!" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Rg0wfyACzCQ#!</a>

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10807 on: May 11, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
Cabin in the Woods
Holy crap! That movie is fun. I'm glad that I wasn't too spoiled going in.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 08:24:02 AM by Kete »

« Reply #10808 on: May 12, 2012, 07:38:59 AM »
"The Big Year"

Had never even heard of this movie.  Was it even released in theaters?  Good cast.  Steve Martin!  Need I say more?

I liked it, it's about a group of people who spend their lives counting birds.  The one with the the biggest number is considered the best birder in the world.  It's a big contest that is evidently real. 

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #10809 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:15 PM »
"The Big Year"

Had never even heard of this movie.  Was it even released in theaters?  Good cast.  Steve Martin!  Need I say more?

I liked it, it's about a group of people who spend their lives counting birds.  The one with the the biggest number is considered the best birder in the world.  It's a big contest that is evidently real.

I've not seen it but yes, I do remember it having a cinema release.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #10810 on: May 12, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »
Just watched Trancers (1985).  It was recommended at Ain't it Cool News.com (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55381) and the film did not disappoint.  Sure, it was a cheesy 80's B film, but it had a lot of heart and I think the B-movie budget actually gives it a certain charm.  Tim Thomerson was really entertaining as the hero of the flick.  Also it was nice to see Helen Hunt before Mad About You and As Good as It Gets.  The movie does have some big plot holes you have to look past, but otherwise it made for an enjoyable night's viewing.

I also think this movie would be very good riff fodder for MKB or the right iriff group.

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #10811 on: May 12, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
The Lady Vanishes. Pretty good early Hitchcock.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #10812 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
Just watched Trancers (1985).  It was recommended at Ain't it Cool News.com (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55381) and the film did not disappoint.  Sure, it was a cheesy 80's B film, but it had a lot of heart and I think the B-movie budget actually gives it a certain charm.  Tim Thomerson was really entertaining as the hero of the flick.  Also it was nice to see Helen Hunt before Mad About You and As Good as It Gets.  The movie does have some big plot holes you have to look past, but otherwise it made for an enjoyable night's viewing.

I also think this movie would be very good riff fodder for MKB or the right iriff group.

Tim Thomerson will always have a special place in my heart for Trancers, Dollman and Who's Harry Crumb... Three movies that I haven't seen in years but should probably seek out... Ahhh... my teenage years... wasting away Wednesday night after too much Mountain Dew watching cable TV....

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5643
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10813 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

Tim Thomerson will always have a special place in my heart for Trancers, Dollman and Who's Harry Crumb... Three movies that I haven't seen in years but should probably seek out... Ahhh... my teenage years... wasting away Wednesday night after too much Mountain Dew watching cable TV....
Who's Harry Crumb is still very enjoyable. Haven't seen Trancers, though.
I seriously doubt Dollman holds up. It's a fucking Charles Band movie for christ sake.

« Reply #10814 on: May 14, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
"The Muppets"

Loved it!  Also got "The Muppet Show" season 1, haven't watched it yet.

I don't remember much about the muppet show, I was a baby.  My mom wrote in my my baby book that one of my first words was Kermie.  I do remember the movies very well though.

Love that Jason Segal brought the Muppets back.  Also enjoyed the cameos.  Although the word "cameo" bothers me.  How can they be cameos if their names are in the final credits?  I've always seen cameos as non-credited performances.