Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540186 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10770 on: May 07, 2012, 09:02:06 AM »

Really interesting documentary on punkers getting older and raising kids while being true to their beliefs.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

MontyServo

« Reply #10771 on: May 07, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »
The Avengers

So yeah, it was just as everyone has said it was.  Just a balls to the wall, sensory overload of a movie.  Really fun.  I wasn't sure they could pull it off, but they did so spectacularly.  Now where is that darn Justice League movie?  You would think a $200 million opening weekend would light a fire under someone's ass at Warner.  Congrats to everyone involved for getting it right!

John Carter

Saw this right after The Avengers, so it was a bit of a comedown.  I thought it was OK, if a bit convoluted.  It has it's moments and I think with a few tweaks to the film (and the advertising of the film), this could have done a lot better.  Also the title stinks.  Call it John Carter of Mars or Princess of Mars.  Anything but just plain old boring John Carter.

I saw both of these last night at the wonderful, if a bit rundown, Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland FL as a double feature.  $4 per person for two films out under the stars, you can't beat it.  It is a bit of a drive to get there for me (about 45 minutes each way) so I don't get to go there too often.  But I try to make the trip every so often as it is the closest drive-in to me and one of the few left in the state.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10772 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:43 AM »
The Avengers

So yeah, it was just as everyone has said it was.  Just a balls to the wall, sensory overload of a movie.  Really fun.  I wasn't sure they could pull it off, but they did so spectacularly.  Now where is that darn Justice League movie?  You would think a $200 million opening weekend would light a fire under someone's ass at Warner.  Congrats to everyone involved for getting it right!

I tried to go see it yesterday but I can't get fandango to load on my computer and me,my mom,and my youngest brother and sister went up to Dover and got there around two o'clock(We left right after church)and ever single showing was sold out.  If I can get a ride I am going to go try and see it tomorrow by myself,if not then I am going to have to wait until the 26th if it is still playing:(

I hope this movie finally give Josh Wheadon the clout he should have had since Buffy(I have never seen the show but it was a huge hit and you would think after that he would be one of the more important people working on Tv these days)so that his next show is given a chance by the Networks.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10773 on: May 07, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
No, Josh Wheadon is the guy at Asylum scripting "The Revengers."
That movie would be tragic.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #10774 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
Now where is that darn Justice League movie?  You would think a $200 million opening weekend would light a fire under someone's ass at Warner.

I am overwhelmingly meh about a Justice League movie. Of the two big comics publishers, Marvel has always been far more engaging than DC, in my opinion. The only character in DC who has been of any interest to me is Batman.

But that's just my own personal prejudice. Ultimately I think a Justice League movie would be seen as a copycat of the Avengers, and maybe that's good enough for the fans, but I don't think Warner Brothers would make back whatever money they sink into it. The only movies with a DC character that have done well in the past few years is The Dark Knight series. Superman's a big dud and Wonder Woman's all but dead in the water. I think Warner Brothers will probably keep the characters individualized, in their own movies.

Also, Marvel's spent four years setting up The Avengers. DC or WB hasn't shown that kind of cohesiveness or even any interest in a crossover at all.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

MontyServo

« Reply #10775 on: May 07, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
You are probably right.  They were set to make a Justice League movie several years ago where they even cast the film and had a director lined up.  But they chickened out, I guess over script or budget issues.

Perhaps it would be better to wish for Disney to get all of their characters back under the same umbrella so they could do a huge trilogy with the Avengers, X-Men, Spidey, and the Fantastic Four.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10776 on: May 07, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
Oh shit the universe would explode.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10777 on: May 07, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
The Avengers

I tried to go see it yesterday but I can't get fandango to load on my computer and me,my mom,and my youngest brother and sister went up to Dover and got there around two o'clock(We left right after church)and ever single showing was sold out.  If I can get a ride I am going to go try and see it tomorrow by myself,if not then I am going to have to wait until the 26th if it is still playing:(

I hope this movie finally give Josh Wheadon the clout he should have had since Buffy(I have never seen the show but it was a huge hit and you would think after that he would be one of the more important people working on Tv these days)so that his next show is given a chance by the Networks.
Fortunately, with it making so much money it is very likely to still be in theaters by then.

And Wurwolf, you mentioned Wonder Woman being dead in the water. Whedon was working on a Wonder Woman script for a while. And he would have been the best person to get a character like that done right.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10778 on: May 07, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
He absolutely would. I think now, though, Marvel has won that particular tug of war and Joss Whedon won't be writing Wonder Woman, if he is even still on board with it. With the success of The Avengers the new Black Widow movie has been greenlit, and while I don't know if Whedon is going to be writing or directing it, I hope he does. He really knows how to write believable kick ass and smart women.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #10779 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

Great movie, definitely recommended.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10780 on: May 07, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
"Wild Guitar"

I love this movie.  It stars Arch Hall Jr and I'd saw it once before on TCM, now I have it on DVD and can watch in whenever.

This movie is just hilarious, without meaning to be.  It stars the whole Arch gang, his dad, Dennis Steckler, and some others I recognize from Steckler movies.  Why hasn't this been riffed yet?

And just found out the movie "The Last time I saw Archie" is about Arch Sr, must find this movie.  But Robert Mitchum playing him?  Really?
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10781 on: May 07, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
He absolutely would. I think now, though, Marvel has won that particular tug of war and Joss Whedon won't be writing Wonder Woman, if he is even still on board with it. With the success of The Avengers the new Black Widow movie has been greenlit, and while I don't know if Whedon is going to be writing or directing it, I hope he does. He really knows how to write believable kick ass and smart women.
I didn't realize they had greenlit a Black Widow movie. It sounds like a good idea, particularly if Whedon is involved in some way.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10782 on: May 07, 2012, 12:38:42 PM »
I didn't realize they had greenlit a Black Widow movie. It sounds like a good idea, particularly if Whedon is involved in some way.

They just did, like over the weekend. It had been in talks but I think they were waiting to see how 1) The Avengers did, and 2) how the Black Widow character was received. Thumbs up on both counts so we're good to go.

Here's an article about it: http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/black-widow-movie-will-focusthe-heroines-origin/5244/
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10783 on: May 07, 2012, 05:32:55 PM »

They just did, like over the weekend. It had been in talks but I think they were waiting to see how 1) The Avengers did, and 2) how the Black Widow character was received. Thumbs up on both counts so we're good to go.

Here's an article about it: http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/black-widow-movie-will-focusthe-heroines-origin/5244/
Oh crap, an origin story? Goddamnit! Of ALL the characters, we need an origin story for a hero without superpowers the least! Just do a movie that takes place between two of the superhero movies, where she is off mostly on her own getting important information.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10784 on: May 07, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »
Also, showering a lot. Possibly having oil rubbed into her skin, to prepare her for her missions.
In 3D