login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540165 times)

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10740 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Corman's World

Fun look at his career with Scorsese, Ron Howard, Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Joe Dante, etc relaying their experiences with him and paying tribute to him.  Not particularly detailed buy an interesting look at someone who is often overlooked imo

...then

Second time lucky, reminded me of how I feel when I watch Raiders of the Lost Ark, Gremlins or Star Wars.  Haven't experienced child like excitement washing over me since the first 20 minutes or so of Superman Lives, went with a friend and his 4 and 9 year old sons and it was so much fun talking to them afterwards about the movie.  I think this will be one of the films that encapsulates their childhood.

I can't believe I have to wait a month to see this:(
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10741 on: May 02, 2012, 12:28:37 PM »
"The Amazing Mr. X"

Pretty good thriller from 1948 starring a bunch of people I've never heard of.  And Richard Carlson from "Tormented".

Years after her husband dies a woman hears his voice call out for her over the ocean.  She believe she is being haunted and starts seeing a deceitful mystic.  Carlson plays the man in love with her wanting her to move on with her life.  Ending is pretty obvious, but I still enjoyed it.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

MontyServo

« Reply #10742 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:19 PM »
Never seen The Great Mouse Detective, but I loved that review.

Just watched:

Happy Gilmore

Probably my favorite Sandler movie.  Not saying much, I know.  But I have always found this one hilarious.  Bits of The Waterboy also still crack me up, but this one pretty much still delivers from start to finish.  Just a goofy movie.

The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas

I love this movie.  A real guilty pleasure.  Dolly Parton is great in this and the songs and musical numbers are all spot-on.  This was just added to Netflix Streaming and I figured that I hadn't seen it since sometime in the '80s.  Glad I watched it.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #10743 on: May 02, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Creature (1985).  An utterly awful ripoff of Alien starring Bruce Dern's wife from The Burbs, Ferris Bueller's dad from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Klaus Kinski  ???  There are certain parts of Creature that are so derivative of Alien (particularly the planet landing) that I'm surprised the film didn't get sued.  Once down there, it becomes a little different.  But it's still terrible.  The acting is wretched, the plot is senseless, the fx are dreadful (the creature looks particularly shoddy) and the music is migraine-inducing and totally inappropriate for most of the scenes.  Too bad MST3K didn't get a hold of this stinker.  They could've really had a funny episode on their hands with this one.

It's currently on Netflix streaming if you care to take a look.  But trust me, you're better off skipping it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10744 on: May 02, 2012, 04:23:37 PM »
Creature (1985).  An utterly awful ripoff of Alien starring Bruce Dern's wife from The Burbs, Ferris Bueller's dad from Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Klaus Kinski  ???  There are certain parts of Creature that are so derivative of Alien (particularly the planet landing) that I'm surprised the film didn't get sued.  Once down there, it becomes a little different.  But it's still terrible.  The acting is wretched, the plot is senseless, the fx are dreadful (the creature looks particularly shoddy) and the music is migraine-inducing and totally inappropriate for most of the scenes.  Too bad MST3K didn't get a hold of this stinker.  They could've really had a funny episode on their hands with this one.

It's currently on Netflix streaming if you care to take a look.  But trust me, you're better off skipping it.
Probably still better than Creature (2011), though.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #10745 on: May 02, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
Solaris: the 1972 Tarkovsky version

It's very long and very slow, but I'll be damned if it isn't captivating. Those sequence shots are just beautiful. I need to re-watch the 2002 remake. I liked that one too (especially the score by Cliff Martinez).

« Reply #10746 on: May 03, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »

I know I have seen this movie before but I didn't remember much of it.  It's pretty good,it's got a nice mix of horror and comedy and the inter cast was good in it.  This is the sort of film that couldn't get made today because it really only works as one movie but now adays if a film can't be a franchise it doesn't get made.  Tim Burton goes for a surreal feel and that helps because while the special effect are dated since the whole thing feels surreal you never really notice.  I think maybe this film should have been ten minutes longer,it feels like it should have taken BeetleJuice longer to get rid of the people and I feel the stepmother's character needed to be developed more. As it stands just just goes from being mean and wanting to exploit the ghosts to being nice and okay with the ghosts inbetween two scenes and I didn't really buy it.

Still a pretty good movie.

8.0/10.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10747 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »
Beetlejuice is awesome.

Like the poster you put up, very retro
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10748 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »
Beetlejuice is awesome.

Agreed!

I particularly like the "and featuring Glen Shadix as "Otho""

« Reply #10749 on: May 03, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »
Beetlejuice is awesome.

Agreed!

I particularly like the "and featuring Glen Shadix as "Otho""

Yeah I love that it makes it look like an old horror movie.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

MontyServo

« Reply #10750 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Smokey and the Bandit

Awesome.  A slice of the late '70s.  I loved this movie as a kid and still love it.  Burt Reynolds as cool as always.  Sally Field, when she was still as cute as a button.  The late great Jackie Gleason in his second most famous role.  And the great Jerry Reed.  Also a big plus, no Dom DeLuise who stunk up the second one by chewing on the scenery.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10751 on: May 03, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
Also a big plus, no Dom DeLuise who stunk up the second one by chewing on the scenery.

Poor Dom, movies were not his best media.  Some of his stuff in some Mel Brooks movies was good.  He had loads of great characters on TV though.

MontyServo

« Reply #10752 on: May 03, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
Also a big plus, no Dom DeLuise who stunk up the second one by chewing on the scenery.

Poor Dom, movies were not his best media.  Some of his stuff in some Mel Brooks movies was good.  He had loads of great characters on TV though.

I did like him in Best Little Whorehouse In Texas and Hot Stuff.  And he was fantastic in Fatso, which may have been his finest work.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10753 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »

I did like him in Best Little Whorehouse In Texas and Hot Stuff.  And he was fantastic in Fatso, which may have been his finest work.

I've never seen Fatso, I'll have to remember to check that one out sometime.

MontyServo

« Reply #10754 on: May 03, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »
Mamma Mia!

A fun guilty pleasure of mine.  Looks great on Blu Ray.

After that I put on Disc 1 of the first Looney Tunes DVD Box Set.  The Bugs disc.  Just to have on in the background while I am up working on a project.  Nothing better than Rabbit Seasoning.  :)