Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1527117 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2569
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10710 on: April 24, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
Will do. I'm surprised it isn't more well-known. A couple of years ago I did a shirt design for my inlaws who were doing a local race involving a moon in the title, so I did a variation on the "bullet in the moon's eye" picture, and they were all like, "Oh, er...he looks unhappy..." And I'm thinking, "Don't you know that image?"  But I guess it's more of something that only sci-fi nerds know.

It got a big boost in popularity because of Hugo, they used bits of the restored color print in Hugo.  It's great that a lot of the really old films are getting some money put into their restoration.  The one hand painted color print of this was a solid block, they chemically treated it and over months peeled off one layer at a time, scanned the fragments and put them together like a giant puzzle.  Then they used a good B&W print to get all the frames in order, then digitally fixed everything up, for missing painted frames they digitally hand painted the color over the B&W frames.  For the digital painting they even recreated the color fading out and back in to simulate when the painters would dip their brush to get fresh paint.  I always wondered why hand painted film had that strobe effect, now I know.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #10711 on: April 24, 2012, 08:11:28 PM »
Lockout - Poorly done sci-fi/action movie.  The plot, rescue the president's daughter from a space prison, is about as cliche as you can get and the acting is laughably bad.  But I still enjoyed it thanks to Guy Pearce and his relentless sarcasm throughout the movie.

Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10712 on: April 25, 2012, 01:50:23 AM »
AVENGERS - just brilliant
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #10713 on: April 25, 2012, 04:21:21 AM »
I still need to see A Trip to the Moon. You can probably just download it legally, right?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6797
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10714 on: April 25, 2012, 04:25:37 AM »
I still need to see A Trip to the Moon. You can probably just download it legally, right?
http://archive.org/details/TripToTheMoon_304
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #10715 on: April 25, 2012, 04:28:36 AM »

MontyServo

« Reply #10716 on: April 25, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »

Man, I am jealous.  Can't wait for next weekend!

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10717 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:05 PM »

You stay away from the internets until I can watch it next week in case of accidental spoilage!! 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6797
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10718 on: April 25, 2012, 01:12:26 PM »

You stay away from the internets until I can watch it next week in case of accidental spoilage!! 

that sounds dirty.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #10719 on: April 25, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Just watch the final episode of "From The Earth To The Moon"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10720 on: April 25, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
Just watch the final episode of "From The Earth To The Moon"

I was wondering why the bonus documentary had so much Hanks in it, forgot about that episode, one of the few I usually skip when re-watching that series...  Although I don't think they show the entire 15 minutes of it, or is it an extra on the disc?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #10721 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:29 PM »

that sounds dirty.

I thought so, too, mostly because at first I read it like, "accidental splooge".
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10722 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »

Now this is what I like to see when I go to the movies.

Larger then life characters against an interesting backdrop played by an expert cast and direct with style.  And oh what style this is not just the most stylishly directed western since Once upon a time in the West,it is one of the best directed movies of all time.  Not second of screen time is wasted and Sam Rami finds all sorts of new ways to show a western gunfight.  The pacing is so perfect that if I didn't know better I would swear this had to come from the golden age of the westerns. This is hands down Sam Rami best movie and I have to say if he made more movies like this I wouldn't mind seeing him make more westerns.  This movie was intense,exciting,and fun.  I enjoyed every second and it is now a must own for me on Blu Ray.  i really want to see more westerns like this one.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10723 on: April 25, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Have you seen Unforgiven?  That's way more substantial than The Quick And The Dead, and also more like a western from the 60s.  I'll agree  The Quick And The Dead is underrated, Sharon Stone and Gene Hackman are pretty darn good in their roles, Crowe and DiCaprio aren't bad either.  And it did the "bullet time" thing 4 years before The Matrix.

It's a bit of a theme ripoff, Stone is basically playing Bronson's part from Once Upon a Time In The West.  But Eastwood played the same part a couple of times also, it's a fairly common theme. (lone gunfighter out for revenge against the guy who killed their   insert relationship here  )
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:28:05 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10724 on: April 25, 2012, 07:34:27 PM »
I am not saying that Unforgiven isn't the better movie over all but i think The Quick and the Dead is more creatively directed.  We may have seen the story before but it was told with such style I didn't care.  Also it has an energy to it that few films have with out it becoming hard to tell what is going on in the scene.

Unforgiven is a great film and I have to say it is the better film but I see myself watching The Quick and the Dead more times because it is more fun to watch.

This movie was so good that I only just finished my copy from Netflix tonight and I had to order a copy for myself from amazon.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.