Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584328 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10680 on: April 22, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Wrath of the Titans - I knew it was going to be dumb. Particularly based on the first one. But I was at least hoping for some fun. *sigh* No. It was just distractingly stupid and confusing.
  And for all it's crap about the importantce of sons and fathers, that kind of goes out the window when the (seemingly) mindless big bad creature at the end of your movie that your good guys Zeus and Perseus are fighting to the death, IS ZEUS' FATHER and PERSEUS' GRANDFATHER! The Queen (whatever her name was) was completely useless. As was her entire goddamn army.
  At least Bill Nighy was kind enough to give an interesting performance, albeit buried in so much hair you would have thought he was bigfoot.
  Sam Worthington continues to prove that he is the most boring action leading man since they tried to make Taylor Laughtner a star. The last thing the producers should be making the audience think is "Gee, I miss Shia LeBeouf."

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10681 on: April 23, 2012, 08:14:49 AM »
The Decendents:

Loved it, funny and bittersweet.  Nice seeing Matttew Lillard again.  That's what I like about Alexander Payne, his choices aren't always with the establishment.  Like Thomas Haden Church in Sideways.  Before Sideways I would have never thought of him as a good actor.

Ides of March:

Be still my heart Ryan Gosling

and the movie was good too I guess
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #10682 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »
tangled. it was cute, but i forgot how much singing there was in non-pixar disney movies.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #10683 on: April 23, 2012, 12:52:46 PM »
Schindler's List. Absolutely amazing.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #10684 on: April 23, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
The Lorax remake/reboot/sequel - or whatever one would call it.

I thought I was going to hate it, but I didn't. It was actually fairly good, and I loved that the grandma was so un-old-ladyish in her role.  :D
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10685 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
tangled. it was cute, but i forgot how much singing there was in non-pixar disney movies.

Honestly, I think the only reason they stick the songs in is in the hopes of winning an Oscar for best song.  The songs in Tangled didn't bother me too much, but I had a hard time with most everything after Lion King.

MontyServo

« Reply #10686 on: April 23, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
21 Jump Street

I really liked this.  Really funny (laugh out loud funny in spots) and never boring which always kills comedies for me, when they become dull.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I normally don't care for Jonah Hill in the things he has done, but he was good in this.  Same with Channing Tatum.  Can't say I have ever seen him in anything else though. (Actually I have seen him in at least two movies. GI Joe and She's The Man, Which I had to look up and also shows how memorable those films were.)

Very funny film, will buy the Blu Ray and watch this one again in the future.

MontyServo

« Reply #10687 on: April 23, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
Convoy

Great '70s flick about some truckers who go on the run from an asshole sheriff.

Ernest Borgnine certainly is fantastic at playing an asshole.  And Kris Kristofferson pretty much plays himself in everything I have ever seen him in.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing as he is a pretty cool dude.

MontyServo

« Reply #10688 on: April 23, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »
Water For Elephants

Passable period romantic drama about an early '30s traveling circus.  Some scenes are a bit hard to watch due to circus animals being abused. (Off screen mostly, but you see the aftermath and it is a bit tough to watch.)  But a lot of the circus stuff was pretty interesting.

Robert Pattison is in way over his head here working with Reese Witherspoon and the great Christoph Waltz.  He can't help but have that deer caught in headlights look about him for most of the film.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:49:07 PM by Monty »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10689 on: April 24, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

Honestly, I think the only reason they stick the songs in is in the hopes of winning an Oscar for best song.  The songs in Tangled didn't bother me too much, but I had a hard time with most everything after Lion King.

Or it's because Disney makes musicals :P

For real, it's a rare thing when one of their movies doesn't have a bunch of songs. It's pretty much a cornerstone of their films, especially the princess ones. And Tangled was a good example of that, since it's one of their best movies for quite some time.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10690 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
I agree that it's the cornerstone, but I also think that a lot of the songs are forced.  It may be an attempt at an Oscar, they could just be trying to pad out the length of the movie, but in a lot of movies it just hasn't worked.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10691 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

Or it's because Disney makes musicals :P

For real, it's a rare thing when one of their movies doesn't have a bunch of songs. It's pretty much a cornerstone of their films, especially the princess ones. And Tangled was a good example of that, since it's one of their best movies for quite some time.
I liked Tangled. But it definitely felt like they only had songs in it because they thought they HAD to make it a musical.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10692 on: April 24, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
I don't see that at all. If anything, Musicals being "cool" again for certain segments of the populace, this one felt more natural.  The songs were very showtuney, and I liked that they actually cast singers for the speaking roles.  Well, some of them.

I also agree that Tangled is one of the better Disney movies in a number of years.

Yeah, this is how I feel. That and it just seems somewhat overly-cynical to go with "It must be award bait" as a reason for including a song.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10693 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
I actually thought most of the songs in the Hunchback movie were way more contrived and shoehorned in.  It even had one bizarrely inappropriate one about the minister lusting after Esmerelda.  It was also the best bit of the movie, but very out of place.
How is a song about character motivation out of place?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10694 on: April 24, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »
I liked Tangled, and the songs didn't bother me at all.

I just feel like once Lion King had three song nominations, they went into song overdrive.  Pocahontas won the next year for Colors of the Wind. Tarzan won for You'll Be In My Heart.  Hercules was nominated for Go The Distance.  The Emperor's New Groove was nominated for My Funny Friend And Me.  I don't think any of these songs are good let alone award worthy.  I don't know if they were gunning for an award, but I do think that they lack quality and don't add to the movies they come from.

But you are right.  I don't know their motivation.