login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581811 times)

MontyServo

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10635 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
4 For Texas

Pretty boring '60s comedy/western starring Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.  Sinatra, who phones it in and looks otherwise disinterested in the whole thing, is wasted here.  Martin doesn't fare much better.  Needless to say, I didn't really care for this film.

The only bright spots in the whole thing were Charles Bronson as the bad guy, he is cool in pretty much anything he does.  (Although the plot was so confusing, it was hard to tell if Sinatra or Martin were also supposed to be the bad guy at some point.)  And the Three Stooges make an odd appearance in this thing, doing their schtick in a small bit with Dean Martin. (I was hoping to see the Stooges interact with Sinatra, but it was not to be.)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10636 on: April 13, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Cabin in the Woods. Just got back from the midnight screening, and wow... I'm kind of in love with this movie. It's what Base said and more. It's quite funny, it's more than a bit freaky, it gets heavy sometimes, and it's just so... different. It's like Scream in the sense of how much of a flip it is from the usual horror scene of the past decade or so, but in terms of what kind of movie it is, it's sort of the anti-Scream as well (and he's right, I really can't see anyone being able to ape this one). There's oodles of things I wanna talk about, but really can't, since this is the sort of movie where you've just got to let it be unleashed before you. I haven't seen a single trailer for it yet so I can't say how much they might spoil, but for real, see this one. Right away, if you can. It's something very, very special.

Alright, I will talk about one thing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10637 on: April 14, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
The Good:  Hugo

Excellent movie.  Excellent acting.  Shot beautifully.  Also love the saving our film history message. 

The Bad:  The Island

This is one I've wanted to see a long time, but didn't want to buy it.  And I don't like watching movies online.  Found it and many other movies at a yard sale.  I'd much rather pay a stranger than Michael Bay.

Anyway, horrible.  First, too long, the running...my God the running.  The sound was the same as Bay used later in Transformers.  And Steve Buscemi, how could you?  The best thing was Ewan McGregor in the skin tight uniform.  Yowza.

The Ugly:  Can't Hurry Love

This was also at the yard sale.  On a collection with 5 other 80s movies.  It had "All of Me" on it, and I remember loving that movie.  Even though I was a kid in the 80s, wanted to see how it aged.  Still enjoyed it.

This movie though, all I'll say about it is it features Bridget Fonda, and the guy who raped Laura on General Hospital.  Poor Bridget.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #10638 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
Yep, loved Hugo.  Just watched it the other day.
\()/ 3~ \()/

MontyServo

« Reply #10639 on: April 14, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »
Watched The Iron Giant on Netflix Streaming thanks to the latest and greatest List of Crap - Top Films of the '90s.

I had never seen this before and it was wonderful.  Thanks to the List of Crap for the suggestion!

Very reminiscent of E.T.  I can't believe I never saw this movie before but I guess I am glad I finally did.  Can't understand why this wasn't a bigger hit.  I guess if it doesn't have a "princess" in it, back at the time this one came out, it wasn't going to sell.  Too bad.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10640 on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
Watched The Iron Giant on Netflix Streaming thanks to the latest and greatest List of Crap - Top Films of the '90s.

I had never seen this before and it was wonderful.  Thanks to the List of Crap for the suggestion!

Very reminiscent of E.T.  I can't believe I never saw this movie before but I guess I am glad I finally did.  Can't understand why this wasn't a bigger hit.  I guess if it doesn't have a "princess" in it, back at the time this one came out, it wasn't going to sell.  Too bad.

Well Warner Brothers didn't put out any adds for it on TV and they only released it for about two weeks so it never had a chance.  I believe it was because Quest for Camalot was such a bomb they decided to just dump their next animated movie in theaters with out spending any money on ads.  I love this movie and the only bad part is Brad Bird was blamed for it failure by Warner Brothers and he was not about to get work as a director again until Pixar rescued him and let him make The Incredibles.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10641 on: April 14, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
I actually thought Iron Giant was kind of cliched, myself. I felt that way the first time I watched it, and my opinion didn't change when I watched it about a year ago. Not a bad movie by any means, but not a masterpiece, in my opinion.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #10642 on: April 14, 2012, 09:35:19 PM »
American Reunion - Basically if you liked the American Pie movies you'll probably like this.   It's nothing great, but it is nice to see the characters again (and Eugene Levy is a blast, basically steals the movie).  Only problem is there are way too many subplots.  They didn't need to give every character a story arc, but dammit if they didn't try.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10643 on: April 14, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
Finally got around to watching Super 8.

I had heard it was pretty good but holy crap, pretty good indeed (ignoring the idiotic lens flare, use the damn hoods on your lenses Abrams, loads of optical engineers have spent decades designing them to take care of that problem)...

Also loved the little bonus during the end credits.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10644 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:04 AM »

I had heard it was pretty good but holy crap, pretty good indeed (ignoring the idiotic lens flare, use the damn hoods on your lenses Abrams, loads of optical engineers have spent decades designing them to take care of that problem)...

You know they actually shine lights INTO the lenses to get that, right? He's such a d-bag.  I totally agree though, this movie was golden.

I was being sarcastic....  And I don't think he's a d-bag, everyone seems to say he's a nice guy, I just wish he'd just do a cameo like Hitchcock or some other thing that can be his "signature".  The fake lens flare is a stupid signature style thing, it was really annoying just before the train crash.

The fact that Spielberg was involved did make me notice a few classic Spielbergian "looking" scenes.

Been watching the deleted scenes, some interesting stuff there, but nothing I wish was back in the movie.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10645 on: April 15, 2012, 04:30:37 AM »
GHOSTBUSTERS: remastered digital print on the big screen. SO GOOD.

HUNGER GAMES: reminded me of Series 7, Trueman Show & Clockwork Orange as much as it did Battle Royale (must remember to nominate Series 7 for the 'Movies you have to see' list) I think it's great how a "tween" movie doesn't over explain the concept, why it's awful, shows the impact of violence and demonstrated how far the poor can be exploited.

IRONCLAD: Hack 'n slash historical peice with a great cast, a lot of fun
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #10646 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »
Brazil. It's odd, smart and brilliant.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10647 on: April 15, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
Brazil. It's odd, smart and brilliant.

It's about time I watch that again. I can never watch it often, it's always years between viewings, and every time the experience seems very different. Always good though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10648 on: April 15, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
I actually thought Iron Giant was kind of cliched, myself. I felt that way the first time I watched it, and my opinion didn't change when I watched it about a year ago. Not a bad movie by any means, but not a masterpiece, in my opinion.
I agree. I liked it, but don't see it as the masterpiece that most other people seem to.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10649 on: April 15, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »

You know they actually shine lights INTO the lenses to get that, right? He's such a d-bag.  I totally agree though, this movie was golden.

I always thought it was more than that, that today's camera can eliminate the flare altogether so he has to add them in post. Or maybe that was just a joke I heard once.

At any rate, I honestly don't have too much of a problem with it in his movies. They're noticeable if I look, but I usually just go along with the movie and let them be. And Super 8 is a good one, even if it has the massive problem of not knowing what kind of movie it wants to be throughout the entire running time.