Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584526 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10575 on: March 28, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »
Saw two last night:

Everything Must Go:

Pretty good.  Forget that Will Ferrell is actually a good actor.  He was also great in "Stranger Than Fiction".  He's an alcoholic who loses his job and wife on the same day.  The wife sets all his belongings onto the lawn and he lives there several days, eventually selling a bunch of stuff in a yard sale.   I kept watching it thinking that kid is familiar, who is he?  Just looked him up, he's Biggie's kid.  Really resembles his dad.

Also, we never see his wife in this movie.  Are we supposed to feel sorry for her?  Yes, she's unhappy, but she throws all his stuff out (out on the lawn where the sprinklers come on) and locks him out of the house.  Stops the credit cards, freezes the bank account, and has an affair.  I just can't find any sympathy for her.

Martha Marcy May Marlene:

Loved it.  The story of a young woman who runs away from an abusive cult.  Also love John Hawkes performance of that song.  I must have this song, it's beautiful.

The movie itself is quite disturbing.  A low key thriller, where the scenes cut between her past at the cult and the present.   No closure at the ending though, it is left open, leaves us wondering.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #10576 on: March 28, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »
Alien

The trailer for Alien is the best ever made. To live up to it is a lot of pressure, but Scott delivers that eerie atmosphere in droves during the actual film. There are so many things to praise about the movie that by just running down a list of things to do well in a film, you’d be hitting high marks on all of them.

The sets and art direction are some of the most impressive aspects of the movie. This is accentuated even further during the climactic, hectic and brilliantly shot scenes on the Nostromo at the end of the picture.

All of the technical aspects involving the film can be praised, including the special effects, which won an Oscar. Scott and his visual effects team never glorify space or show it in a light that necessarily wants to make you go there, but there’s still that sense of wonderment. No matter how much of it is stripped down, the first time Dallas (Tom Skerritt), Lambert (Veronica Cartwright) and Kane (John Hurt) step out of the ship and onto the planet, there’s that “awe” moment.

If you dismiss horror for whatever reason, you should give Alien a try. While it’s classified as that it’s just as much a sci-fi film as it is a horror. There’s enough character development to help any moviegoer who’s not accustomed to the genre get through it. Alien is a joy to watch and its production values even today are still astonishing and a much better output of many of the movies being produced now.
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10577 on: March 28, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
J. Edgar - Sheeeesh, what a bitchy little bitchfest this was.  Also older J. Edgar really should have been played by Meryl Streep. 
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #10578 on: March 28, 2012, 07:59:33 PM »
John Carter

Genuinely loved it. It kill me that it's such a box office bomb.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #10579 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:13 PM »
John Carter

Genuinely loved it. It kill me that it's such a box office bomb.

Yep, completely mystifying. Great, fun movie.

Hmm...  I'll have to check it out.  I've been going back and forth over whether I wanted to see it.  At first, I just wasn't interested and then I found out one of the Pixar directors (Joe Staton?) worked on it and Willem Defoe's description on Nerdist got me more interested.  But then it bombed and got middling reviews.  Still, I am a sucker for a well done adventure movie: the first Mummy, Sky Captain, the recent Tintin movie (which was what the last Indiana Jones movie should have been.  Fantastic).  Maybe when it makes it onto video.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #10580 on: March 28, 2012, 08:26:47 PM »
John Carter was at least as good as any of the movies you named, if not better.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10581 on: March 29, 2012, 04:17:51 AM »
And everyone I know who's seen the movie, and love the books, love the film.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #10582 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
21 Jump Street

I really had no desire to see this, never been a big Johan Hill fan, sure he can do capable supporting work... but carrying a comedy? Wasn't interested... But when you land a babysitter and only have a three hour window... you see what's showing. I voted for John Carter, my wife voted for 21 Jump Street. I don't know why I'm even given a vote anyways.

That said, the movie works and works quite well. The screenplay is fully self-aware, making obvious nods to the ridiculousness of the concept, recycling that concept for a film, the fact that 30 year olds shouldn't be able to pass as high school students... They even throw in the stereotypical brash and black police captain for some shits and grins... The movie doesn't take the premise seriously, but this isn't a spoof.... The premise might be a big joke, but they actually present a pretty decent buddy cop comedy. The stakes are played as legitimate, the friendship between the protagonists works and has the required emotional heft. It's not just a bunch of *wink wink* moments to the audience as the plot meanders from one gag setup to the next.

On occasion, the jokes and gags veer a bit towards the vulgar side, but not so much as to distract. Hill and Tatum are a pretty good comedic pair. Tatum especially was quite good as the popular jock type who is forced into the role of a high school loser. There is a decent amount of sharp dialog and the timing and chemistry between the leads was a nice surprise. There were some funny turns from the supporting cast... including my personal guilty pleasure, Rob Riggle. My brain tells me that there is nothing funny about this guy in any movie I've ever seen him in... yet the rest of me still giggles right along with his stupid, mugging shit of a performance.

I wasn't laughing hysterically throughout... and this is probably not something I'll watch again unless I catch it on HBO in a few years... But 21 Jump Street ended up being a pretty enjoyable buddy cop comedy. It wasn't afraid to poke fun at itself and yet avoided becoming some ridiculous spoof. I'd give it a B+

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #10583 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
Agreed about Rob Riggle. He's just one of my all-time favorites.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10584 on: March 29, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
Adventures Of Tintin  3D Blu-Ray

Probably have to watch it again once this lousy cold goes away completely, might make a better impression then.

Interesting story, interesting characters, well done animation, good use of 3D.  But still something is lacking.  I'd say for an action adventure they had a good amount of adventure but went a little over the line on the action.  I kept thinking of one of the Bond movies from the 90s? that suffered the same problem, some of the chase scenes were too long and there were too many of them.  Also the character Tintin was probably the least interesting in the movie, the dog was great, the cops were funny, the good guy and bad guys were good, we got some good character development for the good guy, but Tintin was just sort of "there", only thing we really learn about him is some quick shots of newspaper stories he has on the walls of his home.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10585 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:52 AM »
I consistently see that complain about Tintin as a character from folks who aren't familiar with the books. That's not meant as a knock against them, either. I just find it interesting, since it actually is a valid complaint, but I guess one I never really noticed or cared about in all the years I was reading about him. Tintin's just Tintin, and we love him for it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2660
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10586 on: March 29, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
I consistently see that complain about Tintin as a character from folks who aren't familiar with the books. That's not meant as a knock against them, either. I just find it interesting, since it actually is a valid complaint, but I guess one I never really noticed or cared about in all the years I was reading about him. Tintin's just Tintin, and we love him for it.

So it's like that in the books also?  I never read them.  I was wondering if his lack of character development was an oversight or done on purpose.  So he's basically just a catalyst.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #10587 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »

So it's like that in the books also?  I never read them.  I was wondering if his lack of character development was an oversight or done on purpose.  So he's basically just a catalyst.

More or less, yeah. It's rather interesting when you consider all the books and what they have to offer with him. Tintin never gets much by way of character development or even any sort of personal arc. He's just part of whatever adventure is going on, either because he started it or tagged along as it came his way (though there is the general framing device that all the stories are visual representations of his stories, on account of him being a boyish reporter).

The thing of it is, this works. Hard to believe as it may be, but this is a book series where the main character just sort of is, and it's okay. He's good-natured, intelligent, occasionally naive, decent shot, and more than a bit of a globetrotter, and we fans love following what he's up to. He goes strange places and meets odd people, and therein lies part of the appeal, but yeah, the general appeal of him is sort of there. At heart he may be a flat character, but this is one instance where that manages to be a workable thing.

Read through a couple of the books sometime (they're all quite lovely, save the hyper-racist first one), you'll see what I mean.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #10588 on: March 29, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »
I wonder if Tintin is meant to be generic so that the reader can insert himself into the role.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #10589 on: March 29, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Entirely possible. The wiki pages gets into this a bit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tintin_%28character%29#Background

It's really just like I said above: Tintin's just Tintin.