Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1666041 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4858
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19125 on: February 15, 2020, 06:57:24 AM »
One thing I remember hearing is that when the movie premiered, the voice actors were put in a separate screening than the rest of the cast and crew.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 76
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #19126 on: February 15, 2020, 12:18:04 PM »
Hereditary (2018)

I felt Ari Aster's directorial debut was better paced and the story telling more straight forward than Midsommar.  Toni Collette is one hell of a character actor and her mental deterioration in this movie is at times riveting.  Alex Wolff as her son also gives a particularly noteworthy performance.  I feel like I can't justly explain this movie to people without spoiling it but I've always been fond of movies that make me question whether the events are mental illness, or actually supernatural, or both. I'm glad I avoided spoilers for this one because I did not see the reveal coming.  This modern horror classic is definitely worth a rewatch!
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5889
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #19127 on: February 15, 2020, 07:16:43 PM »
Parasite

Man, people are right about the Oscars being right.  Its a perfect mix of elements I like from the Coens and Hitchcock while still remaining truly a unique experience.  This is definitely a film you don't tell people what it is: I knew vaguely the premise but I really had no idea where it would go.  Also, if you stopped the film 85% of the way through and asked me if it was going to make me tear up, I would have said yes, but only because that's a suspicious question to ask and I would know you would want me to say the other answer.  But that last scene actually got to me and broke my heart.

It doesn't fit easily into any one genre but I think this will be one of my all time favourite thrillers and look forward to giving it plenty of rewatches in the future.  And, you know, watch all of Boon-Joon Ho's other films.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #19128 on: February 16, 2020, 09:47:23 PM »
I'll watch it and Hereditary someday soon.  I just really don't like paying up to $6 to rent a goddamn movie. That price is bullshit.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1387
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #19129 on: February 16, 2020, 10:25:16 PM »
It's on Netflix over here atm
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3701
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19130 on: February 16, 2020, 10:44:20 PM »
Checked out Sonic the Hedgehog. It jumps the low bar set for video game movies. It's not GREAT, but it's pretty watchable. Put Sonic the Hedgehog in a buddy flick and add Jim Carrey in peak Jim Carrey mode, and you get pretty much what you'd expect.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 190
« Reply #19131 on: February 16, 2020, 11:10:44 PM »
Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy ( 2018 )
Sometimes weird stuff happens that you don't plan. Last week I saw a martial arts film where Dave Bautista was a villain. This week I saw another martial arts film where Dave Bautista plays one of the villains. Pure coincidence. Up to now the only Bautista films I have ever seen were with him playing Drax in the MCU.  The reason why I got this film was because A]It is a sequel to the Ip Man films, B]it was directed by Yuen Woo Ping, C] it had both Tony Jaa and Michelle Yeoh in the cast. In small roles, but never the less, in the cast. This film follows Master Z, a character from the Ip Man films, a master who had once challenged Ip Man, and lost to him in a closed door march, after which he vowed to leave martial arts forever. But while trying to keep that vow by running a grocery store, he ends up saving a girl from gangsters who decide to teach him a lesson and burn down his grocery store. The girl he saved has a brother who owns a bar, and gives Master Z a job there as a waiter. However, it is not long before the bar gets into the crosshairs of the gang, who want to expand their opium selling operation into that neighborhood. And Master Z is reluctantly pulled into the conflict, eventually leading to him having a fight with Drax, who is the head kingpin of the opium gang.  Despite being an obvious potboiler cashing in on the success of the Ip Man franchise, Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy is a fun action film with some top notch fights, including one memorable fight where the hero and a group of thugs fight atop of neon signs that line the street.

Shazam! ( 2019 )
First, some history for those of you who aren't comic book nerds. On April 18, 1938, National Allied published the first issue of Action Comics, featuring the first appearance of a character named Superman. The book became a best seller, so other publishers began creating their own superhero comic books. National decided that they owned the Superhero concept and that everyone was infringing on their copyrights. So they sued Fawcett over their character Captain Marvel. At the time, Captain Marvel was the most popular superhero around, outselling even Superman. If National was successful in their lawsuit against the worlds most popular superhero,  then they would have set a precedent that they owned the copyright on the superhero concept, and would cause all the other comic book companies to cease publishing their own superhero comic books. It didn't really matter that Captain Marvel was very different than Superman.  Not only a radically different costume, but where Superman and Clark Kent were the same person, 12 year old Billy Baston transformed into the adult Captain Marvel by yelling out the word Shazam! The lawsuit ended up dragging  on for years. By the late 40s the popularity of superhero comic books waned, and most comic book companies discontinued publishing them. Sales of Captain Marvel comic books also plummeted, so Fawcett agreed to settle their case rather than have it drag on for another decade for a character they planned to discontinue anyway. As part of the settlement they agreed that they would never publish any comics with Captain Marvel again, and basically ceded the character to National.

In the late 1960s National ( now called DC ) decided to revive Captain Marvel. After all, they more or less owned the most popular superhero in comic book history. But then discovered they couldn't use the character's name because in the years that Fawcett had abandoned the character, no one had renewed the copyright for his name, which rival comic book company Marvel acquired by creating their own character called Captain Marvel. To revive the original Captain Marvel, DC needed to change the name of the comic book. Since the word that transformed Billy into Captain Marvel was Shazam!, DC decided to use that as the title of the book, and very rarely mention the superhero was actually named Captain Marvel. This lead to many believing the superhero's name was actually Shazam. While the revival didn't do so well, it did lead to Filmation licensing the character for a live action Saturday morning show of the same name, which is where most of the character's current popularity came from.

Which brings us to the morons running Warner Bros. who have no idea how to plot out their DCEU. For some really dumb reasons that only made sense to them, instead of giving The Flash and Cyborg solo films ( which probably should have been done prior to a Justice League movie, ) or introduce the Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter in their own films, they decided to go ahead and green light a Captain Marvel film instead, ignoring that in the years since Fawcett ceased publication of the original books the character has faded in popularity to lesser than Hawkman, or that the MCU had already announced they were releasing their own Captain Marvel film t the same time. Which means the current Shazam! film which is part of the DCEU has a hero who can not be mentioned by name at all. So basically, in this film the hero never settles on a name at all. BECAUSE HE CAN'T!

Okay, aside from that. It is a fun film. But very overrated.  Basically, not as good as all the glowing reviews lead me to believe. But still very entertaining. And one of the very few kid superhero films ( yes, it's one of those ) that doesn't suck.  But it doesn't really fit in with the DCEU, does it? This is a light comedy in a universe where every film is overly dark. If another Justice League is made, exactly how will Captain Marvel fit in? I do admire how the writers of this film addressed what it would really be like if a 12 year old became a superhero. In all the previous versions of Captain Marvel/Shazam, once Billy transformed, he had an adult mind. What makes this latest version of Captain Marvel work is having an adult superhero act exactly the way a kid would if he suddenly had those powers.

Black Samson ( 1974 )
It sort of caught me off guard that Saturday Night Live was a rerun this week. Whenever SNL is not on, I use the 11pm time slot to watch a second nighttime movie. And usually I time out my purchases for my DVD/Blu-ray film collection so that I have a second film in queue for those Saturday nights, instead of having a lot of unopened films I can not get to for a couple of months. I prefer watching newly purchased films within the deadline to return them to Amazon or wherever else I bought them from should they be defective.  So basically this week would be a free week where I can go through my film library and pick out something I wanted to see again but couldn't get around to. And it was going through my film library, which is currently randomly stored piles of DVDs in boxes, that I found a film I had once bought that I havn.t watched yet.

Okay, lets go back a few years. There was a chain of stores in Manhattan that sold overstock and budget DVDs for cheap. They had a lot of those budget sets from Warner Bros. which had four films in a box for $5. And one of them was 4 FILM FAVORITES: Urban Action Collection which I got because it had three films I was planning on buying some day anyway for my martial arts collection. Blackbelt Jones, it's sequel Hot Potato and Three the Hard Way. All three films starred Jim Kelly, the black martial arts star from Enter the Dragon.  The fourth film, Black Samson. A film that didn't have Jim Kelly in it. Why the one odd film out instead of having four Jim Kelly films? Who knows? It wasn't because they only wanted to use Warner Bros. films because Three the Hard Way is an Allied Artist Picture which Warner needed to acquire the rights for. They could have easily gotten Golden Needles or One Down, Two to Go as the fourth film. Or how about the Hong Kong film Tattoo Connection which has been erroneously sold on home video as Black Belt Jones II.  In fact, they could have simply made the fourth film Enter the Dragon which they still had the distribution rights to.

So, you can guess why I only watched the Jim Kelly films on this set and postponed watching the fourth film for another date, then completely forgot I had the film. The hero of the film is Samson, a bar owner who has a pet lion and a large staff, presumably African in origin, that he uses to beat street thugs and racist white people. Samson has successfully kept gangs and drugs out of his neighborhood, all while running a bar that caters to at least one town alcoholic. A white gangster wants to expand his territory into Samson's neighborhood and begin selling drugs there. And to do that, he needs to eliminate Samson. So, for much of the film Samson is assaulted by carloads of white hoodlums, only to defeat them with his staff. The leader of the gangsters sends his girlfriend to Samson's bar to get a job as a dancer so she can spy on him.  However, he begins to think she is sleeping with Samson and puts her in the hospital. Deciding to take care of him once and for all, the gangster kidnaps Samson's girlfriend and uses her as bait for a trap. Samson is able to defeat the gangster's army of about eight hoods ( hey, they didn't really have much of a budget for these Blaxploitation films, so eight hoods was pretty decent. ) After he rescues his girlfriend, the gangsters chase after him, but Samson drives up a street where an angry mob of African Americans are waiting for them. The film ends with Samson agreeing to have a one on one fight with the leader of the gangsters, which Samson naturally wins.

Okay, lets start with the pet lion. I mean, it was a cool concept in theory. But the lion in this film is old, worn out ( and probably heavily sedated, ) very skinny, and has a lot of visible mange. Like most American action films of the 70s, Black Samson was lethargically paced, with slow paced fight choreography, and only comes alive with the brief car chase scenes. There is an overuse of the word nigger by the white actors. Almost every white character is super racist, and has to use the word  at least once every 15 second when they are on screen. The plot is a semi-rehash of High Noon, only this time around the townsfolk don't abandon the hero. And there are a lot of tits. Every actress in this film bares her breasts at least once it the film, usually go-go dancing  in the bar. Which calls into question Samson's morality. On the one hand trying to uplift his ghetto by keeping out drugs, gangs and criminals. And on the other, running an establishment where everyone gets drunk, and girls dance in the nude for entertainment. Whoever wrote this film wanted it both ways. A hero who is both wholesome,  lecturing  everyone with sage moral advice,  and the town's Huge Hefner. The big problem with the film. It is boring. Which shouldn't be the case with a film with so much violence and tits on screen.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 850
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #19132 on: February 17, 2020, 05:50:09 PM »
Sonic The Hedgehog(2020) - This was good!!! I had fun watching this thing. As somebody who enjoyed the old Sega Genesis games I felt some definite pangs of nostalgia and this movie left me feeling good, so I gotta recommend this thing. The acting wasn't particularly ground-breaking and the jokes while not the greatest ever still made me chuckle. I think kids and adults, whether they played Sonic before now will have a great time with Sonic the Hedgehog.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5889
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #19133 on: February 18, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »

This was fine.  I mean, I am really glad it didn't get the Oscar.  Not because it is bad but because while their is a gimmick (its all "one shot" with a bunch of hidden cuts and an act break) it feels pretty unadventurous in terms of storytelling.  I feel like it hits all the regular beats to tell the tale that "war is a living nightmare and the people who fight it are heroes" and there's nothing wrong with that but it also means that it isn't going to stick in my memory for too long.  A very well-made movie on a technical and nuts and bolts level but one characters death, despite both actors acting their butts of, felt so cliched that it wouldn't have been hard to push it into parody.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19134 on: February 19, 2020, 06:48:18 AM »
it feels pretty unadventurous in terms of storytelling.

I get why people would be underwhelmed by the "action." But that's what I love about it personally. There are countless war movies (especially for WW1 & WW2). They were going for a small intimate story, and I felt that created a different kind of tension. The stakes are really high, and they were able to make it a real personal story. I was riveted by it in large part because so much was riding on two people. And when something large or small happens, it's of big consequence. The beginning where they first start their journey through No Man's Land, I was completely tense. Then the mineshaft part. Yikes. I don't want to give too much away, so I won't go into detail. Suffice to say, just wanted to offer a differing opinion.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6257
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19135 on: February 20, 2020, 07:59:15 PM »
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2019) - This was underwhelming. Not bad per se, but it felt like an episode of the Shaun The Sheep show reeeally stretched for time. Which would be fine, I quite enjoy the show, but it's not very funny. And while it does have some of the charm of the show, it wears thin quickly. Even at only about an hour and twenty minutes it felt much longer.
The first Shaun The Sheep movie from 2015 was much better.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2912
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19136 on: February 20, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (2019) - This was underwhelming. Not bad per se, but it felt like an episode of the Shaun The Sheep show reeeally stretched for time. Which would be fine, I quite enjoy the show, but it's not very funny. And while it does have some of the charm of the show, it wears thin quickly. Even at only about an hour and twenty minutes it felt much longer.

I mean... the demo for that show is 4-7 year olds...
FINE

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19137 on: February 21, 2020, 09:20:03 AM »

I mean... the demo for that show is 4-7 year olds...
It's more of a show the whole family can enjoy. I enjoy the show (although I haven't gone out of my way to watch the entire thing), and my Mom loves it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:30:09 AM by Darth Geek »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1705
« Reply #19138 on: February 23, 2020, 04:42:55 AM »
Went to see Emma. Boo. Barely funny at all. And then once someone makes a mildly funny joke, it’s seen as if the cruelest thing in the world has just occurred, and people start crying and yelling.

Plus, I highly doubt that this movie passes the Bechdel test. All women in this film are either annoying (the main character trait of the vast majority of them), stupid with no opinions of their own, or manipulative.  I’d give this film a pass if I were you.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19139 on: February 23, 2020, 07:21:52 AM »
Sonic The Hedgehog (2020) - This was...average. Not bad by any means, and certainly miles above most video game movies. I did like Sonic himself. But I didn't like Jim Carrey as Doctor Robotnic, and I just didn't laugh very much.