login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586721 times)

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18870 on: October 06, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
Once Upon A Time In Shanghai ( 2014 )
Or is this film called Welcome to Shanghai? Because that is what was printed on the disc. For a while there I thought the wrong disc was in the case, and that once again Amazon sold me a used copy. No, this would not have been the first time a movie I bought from Amazon had the wrong movie in the case, because whoever sold them their USED copy accidentally put the wrong film in. But it turned out Well Go chose to, for whatever reason, print a screen capture of a "Welcome to Shanghai[/I] sign from the movie instead of actually printing the movie's name, despite the movie's name being on the box. Well Go has gradually taken over from Dragon Dynasty as one of the premier distributors of  Hong Kong films in North America. I only wish they would have released more of the Shaw Brothers films. A decade ago they were one of a handful of companies competing for the distribution rights to the Shaw Brothers films, but unlike Dragon Dynasty and Tokyo Shock who chose the studio's best films, chose a lot of duds that barely sold, which discouraged them from acquiring any more.  Sine then Well Go has gotten better at selecting the films they release.

Well Go may not be interested in releasing any more Shaw Brothers films, but they have no problem releasing remakes of classic Shaw Brothers films. I bought this film based on Sammo Hung being in the cast ( who unfortunately does very little fighting, and has more of a guest starring role, ) and that the fights were choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping. Also, there have been a lot of good films with the title "Once Upon a Time In.....". Well, this wasn't one of them. But it does try. It's the story of Ma Yongzhen, a martial artist from a poor northern village who immigrates to Shanghai to make his fortune, and ends up befriending a gangster. The plot seemed very familiar, and eventually I began to realize this was a remake of Boxer from Shantung. Only, without the ending of that film where the mortally wounded Ma Yongzhen is unable to climb a staircase to kill the crime lord who killed his friend, so he figures out a way to bring the crime lord down to him. It was an iconic moment in martial arts films ( which I a trying not to spoil ) and the reason Boxer From Shantung became a classic. Not only is that ending omitted from the remake and replaced with new villains, Japanese looking to invade Shanghai, but the scene where Ma defeats a Russian boxer is also omitted. Ma Yongzhen really did exist, and was famous for defeating a Russian wrestler in a fight. But this movie is more intent on borrowing moments from Bruce Lee's Fists of Fury than from the film it is suppose to be a remake of. Not helping the film is how it was digitally turned into black and white footage,  but where the occasional prop or outfit is in color. Or how fights are enhanced with CGI weapons that pop out at the screen. It has none of the emotional impact of Boxer From Shantung, although does have the feel of a film trying to emulate an early 70s Shaw Brothers film. And the fight scenes are well worth watching.

Deadpool 2: Super Duper F#@ked-up Cut ( 2018 )
This film represents a huge bag of shit set on fire at Disney's doorstep. The X-Men franchise began when the Superhero Film was all but dead, thanks to a bunch of historic bombs. The success of the first X-Men film brought Superhero films back from the brink, and at the least assured that Sony green lit their  Spiderman franchise which in turn guaranteed that other big budget superhero films would be made. But 20th Century Fox insisted on a trilogy, so the third X-Men film was planned as the final film in the series. As the release of the final film in the trilogy approached, Fox announced that the series would continue with prequels showing the origins of each individual X-Man. Only one such film was made, which was the beginning of a Wolverine trilogy. Meanwhile, Fox was finally regretting ending the X-Men films, but instead of making an X-Men 4, decided to reboot. And when the reboot proved successful, decided to redact the reboot status with Days of Future Past basically turning the reboots into prequels. And while all of this was going on, Ryan Reynolds somehow convinced Fox to allow him to make the first Deadpool film which established a new origin for the character that didn't match up with the first Wolverine film. So last year Disney bought Fox, which then finally gave Marvel Studios back the properties for the Fantastic Four and The X-Men. And as a gift, Fox left Disney Dark Phoenix, a franchise killing film which solved the problem of figuring out how to bring the X-Men into the MCU. Solved, because now Marvel will need to reboot, and does not need to go through the mess of somehow claiming the events of the past X-Men films happened in the MCU.

The problem is Deadpool. The first two films were huge hits, were critically acclaimed, and were loved by comic book fans. So the Deadpool franchise can't be rebooted, but can't take place in the MCU because when the X-Men re-emerge, it is going to start from scratch with Xavier opening his school and recruiting his first mutants.  So basically they now have a successful  franchise that dose not fit in the MCU, and is way to dirty for Disney to attach it's name to, but can't be abandoned because it is too successful. Things would have been much simpler if Deadpool 2 had bombed.

Anyway, great film. Hopefully the franchise won't be killed off because it doesn't fit in with the Disney MCU, because I am now hoping for a Deadpool 3 ( which will probably have Wolverine, possibly starring Jackman if Reynolds can talk him into bringing the character out of retirement. )

Stormy Tempest: Torment in Time ( 2012 )
Once again, I could fit this one in on an SNL week because it is only 20 minutes long. The bad news, this was the first instalment of a four film arc for a bigger story called Fight For The Future. The problem is that a year later, instead of releasing another 20 minute chapter, all four chapters were combined into a single 85 minute release. That's right. The next DVD I have to watch will be 85 minutes long, and the first 20 minutes will be the exact same 20 minutes from this week. At least there was some improvement from the film makers, because Torment in Time was pretty decent, the only flaw being the padding in the last few minutes. Hopefully the full 85 minute movie will be watchable.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18871 on: October 07, 2019, 06:10:11 AM »
I don't know if we have a thread about musical plays, and it's related to a movie so I'll just put it here.
Saturday I watched the Young Frankenstein Musical in Philly. It was fun. Good performances, in particular the actress who played Madeline Kahn's character had a very impressive singing voice. The only real problem was that they used the songs to pad out an hour and 45 minute movie into a 2 and a half hour play. The songs were just filler. They would just take a relatively minor moment in the film (like Kahn's character telling Victor not to touch her) and make a song out of it. It just stops the play dead for them to sing a bit. Good musicals convey plot and character information in song form (the best example being Nightmare Before Christmas) making them integral to the story. They also changed the ending a little for seemingly no reason, adding a bit where Victor is hanged (but not fatally).
The next day I watched Young Frankenstein the movie again. Still a classic.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #18872 on: October 07, 2019, 10:50:44 AM »
Crawl

Meh.  More CGI in a claustrophobic (cheap) single setting. 

Zoned out to be honest.  But I did ding 60 on my paladin. :)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18873 on: October 07, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »
The problem is Deadpool. The first two films were huge hits, were critically acclaimed, and were loved by comic book fans. So the Deadpool franchise can't be rebooted, but can't take place in the MCU because when the X-Men re-emerge, it is going to start from scratch with Xavier opening his school and recruiting his first mutants.  So basically they now have a successful  franchise that dose not fit in the MCU, and is way to dirty for Disney to attach it's name to, but can't be abandoned because it is too successful. Things would have been much simpler if Deadpool 2 had bombed.

I actually see this as an incredibly easy problem to fix. All Deadpool has to do is stroll into the MCU like he's always been there, lampshade it a bit with a couple jokes about how much everything has changed in the last couple years, and go on being Deadpool. It's the kind of stunt that pretty much only works for a character like Deadpool. Since the first 2 Deadpool movies were careful to include only mutants that had little or no impact on the other X-Men movies, they could even keep the same casting.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 524
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #18874 on: October 07, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »

I actually see this as an incredibly easy problem to fix. All Deadpool has to do is stroll into the MCU like he's always been there, lampshade it a bit with a couple jokes about how much everything has changed in the last couple years, and go on being Deadpool. It's the kind of stunt that pretty much only works for a character like Deadpool. Since the first 2 Deadpool movies were careful to include only mutants that had little or no impact on the other X-Men movies, they could even keep the same casting.

They don't even have to do that. All they have to do is have a cutaway where Deadpool is watching some villain beat them up in a theatre and have him decide to join in. Deadpool breaks the fourth wall all the time anyway, wouldn't be that difficult to through him into it. Hell, you could even have some Disney exec walk on and stop him from doing dirty things, or have him hold up a sign that says "Family Friendly~" or something.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18875 on: October 07, 2019, 07:37:12 PM »
Joker - Wow, that was terrible! Just inexcusable. Does this movie sympathize with the Joker? YES! For most of the movie, yes. Only a few times, when he's actually killing people or looking dangerous (basically whenever the score starts playing that really really really wants to be the Inception BRAAAAM music.) then the movie doesn't sympathize with him. But that's pretty few and far between. Does this movie reinforce the stereotype that mentally ill people are dangerous? YES! Does this movie reinforce the stereotype that suicidal people are dangerous? YES! For crying out loud this movie does a Jesus metaphor with the Joker!
It also frustratingly contradicts itself. One minute he is saying he has no political agenda, then a minute later he makes a political speech!
This jams in the Waynes for no reason, you could have cut them out entirely. Just have another reason to find out the twist with his Mother.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18876 on: October 08, 2019, 04:25:04 AM »
Downton Abbey
I watched the show years ago and remember liking the first season a lot and getting progressively disappointed with it (like, the fifth time Bates fell on his sword for no reason, he had lost ALL the sympathy he built up).  It's been a while but I remember there being actual stakes in the show.  The movie feels more like an ill-conceived victory lap.  The main thrust of the movie (THE KING AND QUEEN ARE COMING TO VISIT) feels like a parody of the series and while the original series was never exactly messy with its worldview or complex with its plotting, this is very much all the bad things people think of the series.

The main plot involves a wacky caper involving the staff trying to get the king and queens servants out of the way so THEY can serve them.  There's a really dumb assassination subplot that, like all subplots in this movie, doesn't really give the stakes (the assassination of the friggin' king of England) any weight whatsoever.

I could also be remembering the series as being as better than it was but I feel like the original show: a) kept audiences keenly aware of the passage of time, hinting that these are the waning days of an era, both for good and for ill b) having actual dramatic stakes and c) being about the push and pull of two worlds where we know the lines will one day break down somewhat.  This film has none of that.  I fell there was a subtle whiff of melancholy, the idea that Downton's day would one day end.  The movie's message is "LETS DO THIS FOREVAH!"  This movie is all about what I think what a lot of people liked the original show for: all the pomp and none of the circumstance.  If you are all for fetishizing fancy clothes and silverware, this is for you.  If you are looking for ANYTHING of substance, nope.

PS, Maggie Smith still killing it.  If you are going for Maggie Smith, you get some good Maggie.  But you can probably just wait for a supercut of her whithering remarks.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18877 on: October 08, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Downton Abbey
 The movie feels more like an ill-conceived victory lap.

It is a victory lap for sure, for those that loved the show it doesn't feel ill-conceived.  The movie is a condensed half season of plot.  The finale of the series felt similar but was not as frenzied as the movie is.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #18878 on: October 09, 2019, 05:08:01 AM »
Joker (2019)

I watched this last night with my girlfriend and thought it is a really well made film and that Joaquin Phoenix gives an exceptional performance. I can see why people gave this a standing ovation at whatever film festival it premiered. If it wasn't connected to the Batman mythos it would still be an interesting film in its own right. It's commentary on how we treat the mentally ill is very poignant. It also echoes the themes of income inequality and classism that I think will also resonate with people as Joker's first slaying inspires protests similar to the Occupy Movement.

I understand why people might worry about this film though as it does an adequate job of trying to get the audience to empathize with Arthur Peck as he is constantly being let down by the society around him, from violence in the streets to the health care system failing to continue his medication and therapy. His delusions and transformation remind me of a lot of others films as some have mentioned already. There are parallels to Scorsese's The King of Comedy (1982) and Taxi Driver (1976), Phoenix's physical performance reminded me of the Francis Dolarhyde character in the Thomas Harris novel Red Dragon. There's literally a disturbing transformation that goes on before our eyes that's pretty scary.

I'll definitely pick up the Blu-ray when it comes out.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #18879 on: October 09, 2019, 05:29:27 AM »
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead (2006)

This may be Lloyd Kaufman's magnum opus and the grossest movie ever made.  He lampoons the fast food industry while using some of the most disgusting practical special effects I've ever seen.  Completely disturbing and depraved splatter fest plus there's a musical number I can't in good conscience recommend this one but I loved it.  ;D
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 309
« Reply #18880 on: October 10, 2019, 08:30:33 AM »
The Joker is the first comic book movie i've ever liked.

Most of the complaints about the film are things I liked. For example, I like when I film take the side of someone who is basically crazy, turns to evil intent, because this actually challenges the audience instead of hitting them over the head and making them feel better about themselves by showing oh look what an evil person. Taxi Driver did this of course. And Nabokov's novel Lolita. There are many examples.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4515
« Reply #18881 on: October 10, 2019, 08:43:01 AM »
I just think the Joker is overplayed as far as villains go.

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #18882 on: October 10, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »

They don't even have to do that. All they have to do is have a cutaway where Deadpool is watching some villain beat them up in a theatre and have him decide to join in. Deadpool breaks the fourth wall all the time anyway, wouldn't be that difficult to through him into it. Hell, you could even have some Disney exec walk on and stop him from doing dirty things, or have him hold up a sign that says "Family Friendly~" or something.

No. Not that simple. The MCU is an ( often ) well thought-out  continuing story that Fox's Xverse can never fit into, which is why they would have gone for a reboot even if the last XMen movie was a critical success and Hugh Jackman was willing to play Wolverine for another two decades. They need to re-establish the X Men characters as MCU characters, the same way Ang Lee's Hulk characters are not in the MCU cannon. That means an MCU Deadpool.

Could they just have Deadpool ignore the MCU The way he ignored the Xverse. But then that means that A) Marvel Studios would be braking their own rules by producing films  with a character not in their MCU cannon, and B) any Deadpool movie would take a slot from the next MCU film, and believe me, the MCU has far too many characters in need of solo films or sequels to throw away a MCU slot for a non MCU film. Look how long it took for a Black Widow film to get the green light.

And, of course, the problem of the R rated Deadpool films being released by G rated Disney, which insists all Marvel films be released as Disney films.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18883 on: October 10, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
The Art of Self Defense

Very Jesse Eisenbergish.  Wormy. 

It starts as an examination of the dreary day-to-day of a feckless nebbish.  I enjoyed getting sucked into that vortex.  Then it veered into the highly improbable for no particular reason. 

What did I just watch?  What WAS that?  Well that's indies for you.  Cheap AF production values BTW.

I liked seeing Jesse Eisenberg and Imogene Poots so there's that.  It would have been better if it stayed depressing and based in reality.

I'll go 2/5.  Won't watch again.  You might like it, knowing you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:52:55 PM by F-Zero »

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18884 on: October 11, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
Linda Ronstadt: The Sound Of My Voice

Babies only like good things.  This is a good thing.  I'm SO glad I chose this movie. 

I didn't know she was funny.  The audience applauded at the end and that's no shit.

The world is dying.  Don't go see crap.  Go see this.