login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586327 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18615 on: May 20, 2019, 05:52:10 AM »
Psycho

Hey, this is on Netflix!  I think I will watch it again.  A great watch as always (except for that epilogue of a dude explaining shit that didn't need to be in there).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18616 on: May 20, 2019, 06:33:04 AM »
Smokey And The Bandit - Well that...kinda sucked. I think I had it confused with Cannonball Run or something. I had no idea it was a trucker movie. All I knew about it was Burt Reynolds in a cool car, and it was known for car crash stunts. That part of it was kinda fun. But all the CB jargon and ugly big rigs got annoying really quickly. And I didn't find it very funny. I only laughed a few times.
I blame myself for going in with unrealistic expectations (especially since a simple IMDB search would have clued me in).

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18617 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:10 AM »
Smokey And The Bandit - Well that...kinda sucked. I think I had it confused with Cannonball Run or something. I had no idea it was a trucker movie. All I knew about it was Burt Reynolds in a cool car, and it was known for car crash stunts. That part of it was kinda fun. But all the CB jargon and ugly big rigs got annoying really quickly. And I didn't find it very funny. I only laughed a few times.
I blame myself for going in with unrealistic expectations (especially since a simple IMDB search would have clued me in).

We're kinda in the same boat, Darth. I still haven't seen it and have had a strong desire to with similar expectations. I think you just took that bullet for me. You reminded me the key thing about the pioneering of outtakes this movie had at the end which was included because they all knew it was kinda bad and said they knew it was more fun making it than the actual story.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18618 on: May 20, 2019, 08:04:39 AM »

We're kinda in the same boat, Darth. I still haven't seen it and have had a strong desire to with similar expectations. I think you just took that bullet for me. You reminded me the key thing about the pioneering of outtakes this movie had at the end which was included because they all knew it was kinda bad and said they knew it was more fun making it than the actual story.
Damnit, I didn't even know there were outtakes! I usually love those. I just turned it off once the credits started.
I'll check them out on youtube tonight.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #18619 on: May 20, 2019, 09:51:25 AM »

Damnit, I didn't even know there were outtakes! I usually love those. I just turned it off once the credits started.
I'll check them out on youtube tonight.

Whoops! I just checked. It was Smokey and the Bandit II that I was thinking of! It's generally credited with the first time a movie had outtakes at the end which is why it was included in the Anchorman bloopers credits. I also found out that Being There barely pre-dates it. I have seen Being There, and I agree with the general consensus that it totally ruins the movie. It's very similar to being emotionally wowed by Dustin Hoffman's performance in Rain Man, and then watching him break character over the credits. And I think I'm rambling now. What were we talking about?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18620 on: May 20, 2019, 08:14:41 PM »
Aaaand Cannonball Run is not on Amazon Instant or Netflix. Crap.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #18621 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59:41 AM »
Aaaand Cannonball Run is not on Amazon Instant or Netflix. Crap.
I tried to find it for ya on https://justwatch.com/us. Wow, it doesn't even come up as a suggestion (the sequel does which is free with ads on Vudu). That site covers everything. Only place I could find it is on dvd on Amazon. However, I found a copy at my local library. You may want to check yours. If not, well... let's just say I'm not shy to fare the high seas, says I. Yarrr!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18622 on: May 21, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
You Were Never Really Here

This is basically anti-Taken. In the best possible way. Here, our protagonist definitely has a special set of skills, mostly killing people with a hammer. He's no superman. He's clearly suffering from a lot of trauma from various events in his life that made him become a gun-- hammer for hire. A badass unstoppable killing machine with a tortured past is nothing new and in broad strokes, the main plot is really the plot of a ton of action thrillers.

But this movie is a much more sober and sedate film. Strangely, wikipedia describes it as a "psychological action thriller" but someone really needs to edit the word action out, because it isn't. With some very upsetting exceptions, a lot of the violence comes in not entirely visible spurts or it is more implied than shown. The film really has no action scenes whatsoever. This is not a complaint but if that is what you want, you will be disappointed. Its really a deep psychological dive into a version of that archetype that is sadder than we are used to seeing. He isn't a Wolverine or a John Wick or a... Craig Taken (?), he's a guy with serious problems and he doesn't really have a support system to help him. All he has are his mother, who suffers from dementia (but clearly loves her son) and the people who pay him to murder people. Despite how dangerous he is, there's a softer side to him. After he mortally wounds one guy and gets information, he just... hangs out with him as he lay dying. He gives him some of his pain killers. He holds his hand. Its a really good scene.

Despite Johnny Greenwood's propulsive score, the film really takes its time and it feels much more like a character study than a conspiracy thriller (which it also is). Strangely, in the novella it is based on, the character used disguises and gadgets, which would have also made a fascinating film but this one is extremely grounded.

By the film's end, while I have no doubt the character's struggle with depression will never end, maybe with a friend in his life and someone to live for again things will get better. At least, for today.

Definitely check it out if you get the chance.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18623 on: May 21, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »
You Were Never Really Here

This is basically anti-Taken. In the best possible way. Here, our protagonist definitely has a special set of skills, mostly killing people with a hammer. He's no superman. He's clearly suffering from a lot of trauma from various events in his life that made him become a gun-- hammer for hire. A badass unstoppable killing machine with a tortured past is nothing new and in broad strokes, the main plot is really the plot of a ton of action thrillers.

That sounds like it could describe a REALLY dark take on Thor responding to the Infinity War snap the way Hawkeye did.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18624 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:30 PM »
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World  4K HDR Blu-Ray

Liked it a lot, maybe a little more than part 2.  Still think the first one is the best, but they are all pretty close.

Man does animation kick butt in 4K HDR!  It's like this movie was made especially for HDR, with the bright white light fury and black night fury on screen at the same time, having stunning detail on both of them is pretty cool.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #18625 on: May 24, 2019, 06:52:20 AM »
Man does animation kick butt in 4K HDR! 
So true. The first time I saw true 4K HDR was a display at Best Buy showing The Lego Movie. It was like looking at perfection. Really blew my mind.

Offline linszoid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 292
« Reply #18626 on: May 25, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
Thong Girl 4 (4/10)

I admit that I never saw Thong Girl 1-3. So I was confused on what was going on through most of the movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18627 on: May 25, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
Thong Girl 4 (4/10)

I admit that I never saw Thong Girl 1-3. So I was confused on what was going on through most of the movie.
How many thong numbers were in thith one? What about the thinematography?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18628 on: May 25, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »
Thong Girl 4 (4/10)
How many thong numbers were in thith one? What about the thinematography?
Darth you forgot to ask the most pertinent question on ALL our minds: Does anybody else feel like a little... giggle... when they mention my fwiend Biggus... DICKUS?!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18629 on: May 26, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »
Hercules

The 1983 Lou Ferrigno version.  I usually don't rent movies for How Did This Get Made? but I felt compelled to with this one.  It is fantastically stupid and while incompetently made, is fairly watchable.  Really hoping it makes it to the next MST3k season (assuming it happens).  The bizarrely long wait for Charon to cross the river Styx is ridiculous but nothing in the history of film is as great as this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GOJoLaxokzM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GOJoLaxokzM</a>