login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586177 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18540 on: March 25, 2019, 04:17:53 PM »
Last night we watched two thirds of Solo, and my review so far is, 'Who cares?'

Will we watch the last third tonight? A more exciting question than anything going on in the film.

Solo was... fine.  Who cares is an understandable question, but I really don't think it is a bad film, just a slight one.  It helped that the backlash was making me expect something worse.  And there are good individual moments and Donald Glover shines as Lando.

Exactly - it is adequate. It would have been more interesting if it was terrible. The Star Wars Holiday Special is much more interesting than Solo.

I don't disagree about Glover - and I thought Young Solo did a great job. But on the whole, it was nothing.

We did finish it by the way, and the final plan was extraordinarily dumb.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18541 on: March 25, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Well, it stings more that it could have been a Lord/Miller joint.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18542 on: March 25, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
Yeah, I wonder what that would be like. I wonder if we'll ever see the version they shot?
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18543 on: March 25, 2019, 06:37:38 PM »
I think I liked Solo because there's a lot of stuff that happened that I wanted to see that was only talked about before then. Of course, sometimes a dramatic recreation of that works, and sometimes it doesn't. For me, Solo worked, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see it four times in theaters. 

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18544 on: March 25, 2019, 06:42:38 PM »
I think I liked Solo because there's a lot of stuff that happened that I wanted to see that was only talked about before then. Of course, sometimes a dramatic recreation of that works, and sometimes it doesn't. For me, Solo worked, otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see it four times in theaters.

Certainly not blaming anyone for liking it. I'm not really much of a Star Wars guy in general, although this is the only of the new movies that was a complete wiff for me.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18545 on: March 25, 2019, 06:43:48 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Edward. I grew up on a steady diet of Star Wars/Trek.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:24:05 PM by Russoguru »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18546 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »
I should watch Solo one more time, I have wondered if it would seem better a second time, it was hard to see these characters as only 10 years before we see them older and different actors, maybe that issue would stand out less on a second viewing.   

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18547 on: March 25, 2019, 07:50:47 PM »
I should watch Solo one more time, I have wondered if it would seem better a second time, it was hard to see these characters as only 10 years before we see them older and different actors, maybe that issue would stand out less on a second viewing.

A second viewing might well help it tbh
FINE

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #18548 on: March 26, 2019, 01:55:04 AM »

Will we watch the last third tonight? A more exciting question than anything going on in the film.

Solo was... fine. 

This sums up Ron Howard as a director for me, he's a guy who directs thing.  He has no particular flair or perspective or style, he points a camera at actors saying lines and gets them in focus.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18549 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:57 AM »

Solo was... fine. 

This sums up Ron Howard as a director for me, he's a guy who directs thing.  He has no particular flair or perspective or style, he points a camera at actors saying lines and gets them in focus.

Agreed
FINE

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4514
« Reply #18550 on: March 26, 2019, 06:15:10 AM »
Warwick Davis' commentary for Willow has a moment where he's contrasting Spielberg and Lucas' directing styles that's rather interesting.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18551 on: March 26, 2019, 06:50:26 AM »
Warwick Davis' commentary for Willow has a moment where he's contrasting Spielberg and Lucas' directing styles that's rather interesting.

I was really surprised with how good this commentary was. Actors & directors are a mixed bag of quality when it comes to commentaries (ok, actors are pretty much either goofy or disinterested or both). I prefer the fly-on-the-wall stories style myself, and Warwick Davis delivers really well. You can tell he's a fan of the craft and wants to deliver that to the audience as well.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18552 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:32 AM »

I was really surprised with how good this commentary was. Actors & directors are a mixed bag of quality when it comes to commentaries (ok, actors are pretty much either goofy or disinterested or both). I prefer the fly-on-the-wall stories style myself, and Warwick Davis delivers really well. You can tell he's a fan of the craft and wants to deliver that to the audience as well.
That sounds like a really interesting commentary. I'll have to check if the DVD I have has it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 262
« Reply #18553 on: March 29, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
Filmage (2013)
Documentary about the Descendents/ALL
Bought and watched it when it first came out on Bluray. Just watched it again last weekend. It's probably because both bands were my favorites in much of my formative years (and still are favorites) but far and away my favorite band documentary. Not sure how it would land with someone who wasn't already a fan of the music though because outside of Bill's serious health scare that gets covered in the last half hour it's missing any of the typical "Behind The Music" sex and drugs and sensationalistic band tension that most non-concert rock documentaries feature.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18554 on: March 29, 2019, 08:00:29 PM »
HOWL (2015) - This was pretty good, given it's low budget. The use of mostly practical effects is impressive. And when we do see the werewolves we see plenty of them, not just a quick shot or small portions of them, like a lot of low budget werewolf movies would do. While some of the characters do fall into stock character tropes, it wasn't overstated to become annoying. The only one who becomes annoying is the "alpha" businessman jackass guy, and that only really happens later in the movie, so he wasn't pointlessly abusive the whole movie.