login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1567348 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18465 on: February 04, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
Watched A Star Is Born (2018) last night and Bohemian Rhapsody on Friday. Really shows the two extreme ways of making a musician movie.

Bohemain Rhapsody was fun but too tepid; extremely formulaic in a VH1 Behind the Music way... to the point where they changed major parts of the real story to fit it. Any moment  a Queen song was playing though was fantastic, especially the climactic concert.

A Star Is Born was the polar opposite. Dark, gritty... and I liked it a WHOLE lot more (and, believe me, I had no intentions of liking it). The music was phenomenal. The performances were career bests. I was MUCH more emotionally involved.

The strangest thing is that I felt like BR was most lacking in the first half hour but then it picked up slowly and climaxed well. The opposite happened with ASIB. First half hour was one of the best things I've seen all year, but then it goes downhill (more emotionally, than anything... painful to watch at times, y'know?).

I must have seen the actual youtube of the Queen performance too many times to appreciate the movie version. I hear you about the downhill part of ASIB. They build up this nice little drama and the guy had such a great thing going marrying Lady Gaga and giving her all that success but then of course starts screwing everything up by being a drunken idiot. Does that count as a spoiler? Well it's ASIB.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #18466 on: February 04, 2019, 04:05:22 PM »
Stan & Ollie I recommend it. Their stuff is a little cutesy and not always super laugh out loud but still entertaining. Their wives were really funny like a comedy duo themselves. There were other interesting revelations like how they created their comedy. The actors did a really great job. The best part was Reilly's Hardy. He should get an oscar. He had a very likeable performance.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18467 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:06 AM »
Watched A Star Is Born (2018) last night and Bohemian Rhapsody on Friday. Really shows the two extreme ways of making a musician movie.

Bohemain Rhapsody was fun but too tepid; extremely formulaic in a VH1 Behind the Music way... to the point where they changed major parts of the real story to fit it. Any moment  a Queen song was playing though was fantastic, especially the climactic concert.

A Star Is Born was the polar opposite. Dark, gritty... and I liked it a WHOLE lot more (and, believe me, I had no intentions of liking it). The music was phenomenal. The performances were career bests. I was MUCH more emotionally involved.

The strangest thing is that I felt like BR was most lacking in the first half hour but then it picked up slowly and climaxed well. The opposite happened with ASIB. First half hour was one of the best things I've seen all year, but then it goes downhill (more emotionally, than anything... painful to watch at times, y'know?).

I must have seen the actual youtube of the Queen performance too many times to appreciate the movie version. I hear you about the downhill part of ASIB. They build up this nice little drama and the guy had such a great thing going marrying Lady Gaga and giving her all that success but then of course starts screwing everything up by being a drunken idiot. Does that count as a spoiler? Well it's ASIB.

I didn't know the story beforehand, and I still wouldn't call it a spoiler since you can see exactly how it's destined to go, because there's so much set-up for its inevitable conclusion. It doesn't detract from it either. It makes it more emotionally terrifying, because you're unable to stop it.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 564
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18468 on: February 06, 2019, 05:47:28 PM »
I just watched Dredd today, and enjoyed it quite a lot. I originally saw it when it first came out way back in 2012, so it's been a long time. I just hope it gets its supposed Netflix series one day with Karl Urban as Judge Dredd.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18469 on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
Okay I went to see The Lego Movie 2 today, and that was actually kind of fun. It definitely wasn't as good as the first, but I still found time was just flying by during the movie. There are some themes and some plot developments I should have seen coming but I didn't because I like to let myself get swept up in the narrative. The movie had a good message and it was a fun time. I highly recommend it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18470 on: February 09, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »
I just got back from Lego Part 2 and that song is, in fact, stuck inside my head.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18471 on: February 09, 2019, 08:16:03 PM »
Funny that, the only song STILL stuck in my head five years later is Everything is awesome. I honestly don't mind that much. I'm also a fan of the alternate version from HISHE I think it was: "Everything is Batman, everything is cool when you're Batman, everything is Batman..."

Anyway, I watched Robocop 2 tonight. I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years but never the whole thing. I do seem to remember back in middle school one kid telling me how Robocop... ahem... how can I put this... he told me how Robocop killed the bad guy at the end of the film. Anyways, I liked the movie, not quite as great as the first, but then again with few exceptions, what sequel is superior to the first? Now, I can't explain why I like it better than something like Terminator 2, I just do. Maybe it's because I'm not the biggest fan of Edward Furlong in the world.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18472 on: February 09, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
Good reminder for me to watch Robocop. I missed out on a lot of the R-rated must-sees from the 80s, because I was too young. I've watched quite a few, but I've still got blindspots like Predator and Commando.     

Anyway, I watched Miss Congeniality for the first time, because my wife really wanted me to see it. I remember this being super popular in the early 2000s, but I gotta tell ya, the first act of the movie was surprisingly terrible. It's certainly the part that aged the worst. The chauvinistic comedy just comes off as gross and feels very much like any 2000s predictable wacky broad comedy (no pun intended). However, the second act got better, basically as soon as they introduce Miss Rhode Island. And the last act was actually really enjoyable and satisfying. My biggest problem was that Sandra Bullock plays a *terrible* ugly person, so all the jabs of her being ugly just fall so flat. A lot of entertaining supporting performances from Michael Caine, Candice Bergen, and William Shatner. Basically, a lot of saving graces (again, no pun intended) that take a while to come into play. Just gotta get through that dreadful first half hour or so.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18473 on: February 10, 2019, 07:09:57 PM »
Lego Movie 2 - I enjoyed it. Not nearly as good as the original. But it's nearly impossible to replicate how fresh and original that movie was. Or how well it set up the world it existed in. Plus, while I did laugh plenty in this movie, not as many laughs as the original. But I would certainly still recommend it.
Oh, and the "Catchy Song" bit felt a lot like the bit in MST3K Season 12 when they tried too hard to replicate the "Every Country Has A Monster" song and failed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:15:32 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18474 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:01 PM »
I got a kick out of the line where somebody says something like "Marvel's not returning our phone calls".

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #18475 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
Shaolin Handlock ( 1978 )
Grabbed this Shaw Brothers potboiler  off the shelf, from Ho Meng Hua, the director of Flying Guillotine ( 1975 ), the Black Magic series, and Mighty Peking Man. While David Chiang and his sister are out shopping, someone murderers his father and his two students he mistook for his children. Finding out the killer came from Thailand, Chiang goes there for vengeance. I can't really give any more of this plot without revealing any spoilers, so I will talk about the title technique, the Shaolin Handlock. It is basically a twisting back flip that puts you directly behind your opponent, followed by a sleeper hold that cracks their neck. And yes, it looks as ridiculous as it sounds. Even more ridiculous are the plot twists which takes plot convenience theater to a whole new level. But it is because of the film's odd plot that this movie is even remembered.

Lazer Team ( 2015 )
I began by buying the Batman movies, then the Spiderman films, then Superman, then decided to go for it and collect every American Superhero movie ever released on DVD or Blu-ray, going for the completest collection possible without resorting to bootlegs or unauthorized releases. I relied on the Wikipedia list of American Superhero films. A list that keeps changing from month to month. Sometimes to add films the editors of Wikipedia forgot existed, or were just recently released.  Other times to remove movies they suddenly decided didn't fit the definition of Superhero film. A movie Wikipedia suddenly decided a couple of weeks ago fit the description of Superhero film was Lazer Team along with it's sequel. And as the first film was already OOP and nearly sold out on Amazon, I decided to buy now rather than pay an arm and a leg later on eBay.

I've talked about this before. The film's that just barely qualify as Superhero films. And Laser Team just barely qualifies. It is a crowd sourced co-production between YouTube and a  studio called Rooster Teeth that previously only made videos for YouTube that were mostly clips from the game Halo with comic voice overs added, so my expectations were very low. And perhaps low expectations is the best way to watch this film.

Back in the 60s the Earth receives a message from an alien race warning that they will soon be invaded by another Waring race that has previously destroyed other civilizations. The Invaders will demand that Earth's mightiest hero face their mightiest warrior in a fight. If the earthling wins the fight then Earth will be spared. If he looses then mankind will be destroyed. However, the benevolent aliens warning Earth will send them a ship containing powerful space armor to be used in the battle which should give the earthling the advantage. Because space is so vast, it will take decades for the armor to arrive. But it should arrive a week before the invaders. So the army picks a child to be raised and trained to be Earth's champion, and to wear the armor when it arrives.

Unfortunately, a couple of delinquents manage to shoot down the arriving spacecraft with their illegal fireworks. An incompetent cop and the dumb jock he had just arrested for fighting arrive to investigate. The four men find the armor in the wreckage and each try on a part, not realizing the armor permanently fuses itself to whoever puts it on. So when the Army shows up to the crash site, the armor they wanted to retrieve is permanently attached to the misfits. One is wearing the helmet which turns him into a genius. One is wearing a glove which produces an energy shield. One is wearing an arm cannon which shoots laser blasts. And one is wearing the boots which gives him super speed. The army can't remove the armor, so their only option is to train the misfits in the next few days to team up and combine their powers to fight the invader. Unfortunately, they are goofballs seemingly incapable of being trained.

You can see where this film is going. The misfits are all incompetent until the last act where they suddenly learn to work as a team and save the planet. One can imagine this film with Adam Sandler and his usual co-stars playing the misfits. In fact, I have seen Adam Sandler do something similar in the movie Pixels ( 2015 ). But this movie doesn't have the same budget, and the most noteworthy name in the cast is  Neil deGrasse Tyson who has a cameo. ( The leads in this movie are all the voice actors from Rooster Teeth's Red vs. Blue ) Despite all of this, the low expectations were unwarranted. It is actually a decent film. Although as a comedy, I didn't find it funny. It's not the fault of the cast, who despite being in their first film, all give strong performances. But instead the writers who come up just short of good material. And here is what is frustrating. I'd say this film was 90% close to being a successful comedy. Perhaps just one more rewrite of the script could have injected this film with the humor it needed. The plot had a lot of potential. As a  sci-fi/adventure film, it works. Even the action is decent. But the Rooster Teeth's goal was to write a comedy, which they didn't do.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:22:52 PM by stethacantus »

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #18476 on: February 11, 2019, 12:50:02 PM »
Watched Velvet Buzzsaw on Netflix last night.  I've seen it described as an Altman-esque satire on the high-money art world with Horror Things happening in it, and that's more-or-less the case.  The horror elements creep in kind of late, though, and the characters are a bit too arch and one-note for what happens to them to have any kind of resonance.  Some entertaining performances, though.

Also watched Godzilla: The Planet Eater, the last of the animated Godzilla trilogy on Netflix.  It was a bit more compelling than the previous two entries, but that's a low bar to clear.  Not that I mind high-concept metaphysics and philosophizing in my monster movies, no sir, but what this film (and trilogy) presented was more mind-sedating than mind-blowing.  I appreciate the attempt to do something different, though.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18477 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:00 PM »
For the first time ever I sat down and watched the glorious mess that is Mac and Me. To be honest, aside from being an obvious ET rip off, I have NO idea what the hell they were going for here. It's almost like they needed promotions from Mcdonald's, Coca-Cola and Skittles or something. In doing so though I found myself distracted, numerous times by all the weird things this movie is doing.

First off, the aliens are sucked inside of a lunar lander, then they're running away off into the desert, then we're introduced to this kid in a wheelchair who falls about 200 feet into a small body of water. Now, you might be thinking two things, for one "Oops... he's dead", and/or "oh shit that wheelchair is lost forever", nuh uh! You're totally wrong there on both counts mister! Mac, or as we come to know him the Mysterious Alien Creature, apparently gets the wheelchair, puts the kid in the wheelchair, then pushes him out of the water. I'm mystified alright, just for all the wrong effing reasons!!!!!

There's also the bizarre scene where in an attempt to mimic ET, the kid(Eric) leaves a trail of straws for Mac to find. Okay... what in the hell? What kind of lunatic would leave a trail of drinking straws and expect anything on Earth(except maybe a bloodhound) to follow a trail of drinking straws?! Oh, and it gets even better! To disguise Mac, Eric puts him in a teddy bear outfit. Apparently, somebody didn't get the memo because here's the thing. Mac is at most, a foot and a half, maybe 2 feet tall at most. Then we see him dancing on a countertop at Mcdonald's and he's all of a sudden somewhere between 4 and 5 feet tall!!!

It probably doesn't help that the eyes are the only real expressive part of the Mac character. The rest of his face is frozen in what i like to call "whistling mode" for the whole movie. That's also the same story for the rest of Mac's family, who are hiding out in the desert, and of course just like ET The Government is hot on their trail attempting to find them. There's also this scene as these people are driving out into the desert where there are these horses running alongside their van, running at almost exactly the same speed. Did I mention the music was done by Alan Silvestri? Yeah, that's kind of distracting and I swear one musical cue almost sounds like its straight from Back to the Future.

In conclusion, Mac and Me is a bizarre little adventure. It's easy to cover up certain flaws in a movie if you have a lot of heart and soul woven into the framework of your movie. But no, Mac and Me is just bad, and in a lot of ways it is so bad its good, maybe not to the level of something like Troll 2, but it's definitely in the same ballpark.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #18478 on: February 17, 2019, 09:25:52 PM »
Night Hunter ( 1996 )
A while back I added Vampirella to my superhero movie collection. It was only available as part of a vampire themed double feature DVD, with the other movie being Night Hunter starring Don "The Dragon" Wilson. I decided I would get to the other film at a later date. This week I remembered to get to it.

While I have collected a lot of martial arts films, I have not bothered to buy the film's of Don Wilson, even though his Bloodsport franchise was one of the most profitable kickboxer series produced in Hollywood. The only other one of his films I have is one of the Schumacher Batman movies where he has a small part as a thug.  In Night Hunter Don plays a vampire hunter. For thousands of years there has been a war between vampire hunters and vampires, resulting in only about eight vampires left, and Don being the last surviving vampire hunter, having been the lone survivor when his vampire hunter parents were killed when he was a boy. Although I am guessing the low number of vampire hunters and vampires is due to this film's micro budget. In a scene where Don is being chased by police in an industrial area, the same footage is reused over and over again to pad the scene out. Continuity is not this film's friend. In the opening young Don and his parents are rushing to barricade their house before the sun sets and the vampires attack. But then later in the film Don tells a reporter that most myths about vampires are not true, and they can walk around in daylight. ( which they do, for most of the film. ) Don uses plenty of martial arts to defeat his vampire foes, but for most of the time uses guns. While guns can't kill vampires, it can slow them down long enough for him to grab them and break their spine ( which in this film is the only way to kill a vampire. ) The action in this film is rather dull. It is not a bad film, just a misfire. Stick to Blade ( released two years later ) if you want to see a better version of the same material. 

Lazer Team 2 ( 2017 )
The good news is that there was no drop in quality for the sequel. In fact, I sort of laughed at one of the gags, and nearly laughed at another. That makes this the funnier of the two films. But once again, here we have talented comedic actors given material that had potential but was not refined. A lot of the scenes come soooooo close to having comedy gold. If they ever make a third instalment of this franchise, the writers should seriously think about hiring a veteran comedy writer to punch up the script. Action/adventure wise this film works. After saving the Earth in the first film, the Lazer Team breaks up. Because his helmet continues to make him a genius, Woody remains working for the defense department. They government has received another space message with instructions on how to build a wormhole generator they can use to travel to their plant. However, once the wormhole is activated, tentacles reach through it and grab Woody, pulling him in just before the wormhole closes.  Another wormhole is opened and a team of soldiers go in to rescue Woody, but only one returns holding Woody's helmet, dropping dead the second he comes out of the wormhole. The new general in charge of the defense department orders the wormhole project shut down. This upsets Woody's assistant, the lovely Maggie who has  fallen in love with him. She reunites the other members of Lazer Team and sneaks them into the lab for a rescue mission, one they only go on once they learn Woody's helmet was removed because they want their armor removed as well. They wormhole leads to an alien space craft where they learn it was all just a trap to catch the Lazer Team and remove their armor so they would be helpless to stop another invasion.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5136
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18479 on: February 18, 2019, 05:28:45 AM »
Jaws 2

When I noticed all the Jaws movies were added to Netflix, I realized "I've only seen the first".  Now, a normal reaction is "keep it that way" but the infamy of 3 and 4 make me curious to see them all.  But Jaws 2 is bad in a decidedly not fun way.  It is largely a snooze.  The funny thing is, this is probably one of the directors better movies, since he later went onto make Supergirl and Santa Claus: The Movie.  But it's a very dumb, annoying movie where repeating some of the key "no one believes sheriff Brody" scenes make much less sense considering the events of the first movie.  Too be fair, it sounds like 3 and 4 make even less sense but I feel like there not even a lot of fun laughing at this one (except for the part where the shark blows up a boat).