login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1556300 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18390 on: January 07, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Leprechaun Returns (2018) - This was a silly but fun guilty pleasure. Very much like the first one.

Directed by the guys who did The Void and Manborg, both of which are really fun
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5682
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18391 on: January 08, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
Leprechaun Returns (2018) - This was a silly but fun guilty pleasure. Very much like the first one.

Directed by the guys who did The Void and Manborg, both of which are really fun
I couldn't get into Manborg because of the visual style, but I really liked The Void.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #18392 on: January 08, 2019, 01:11:46 PM »
Watched Animal World on Netflix.  A pretty weird film, though not as weird as the opening with the swordfighting ninja clown facing an alien on a rushing metro train seems to promise.  After a lengthy setup of the protagonist's situation, namely the debts he's run up for his mother's hospital care, he's dropped into a no-holds-barred rock-paper-scissors tournament on a cruise ship in international waters, facing the prospect of death if he loses.  Michael Douglas, the lone Western actor in this Chinese film, plays the machiavellian mastermind behind the whole thing.  Strange, flawed, but surprisingly gripping, with a setup for a sequel.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 540
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18393 on: January 08, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
I've watched this many times before, but it's been a LONG time since I watched 1990's Total Recall with "Ahnald". Still a damn good film. I know a lot of people might prefer Terminator 2 but I find movies like Robocop and Total Recall to be much more interesting and mentally stimulating. I think Arnold was at his very best when he was portraying a human being and not a murderbot from the future.

There actually were some things about Total Recall I found kind of funny, the first is that Arnold gets kicked in the balls by Sharon Stone's character no less than three times in this movie, which seems like serious overkill. I mean jeez I hope when they shot those scenes he was wearing a cup and several layers of protective padding. The other one is the scene with Arnold's fake head freaking out for no discernible reason. That always cracks me up.

I also just remembered that Total Recall also features Marc Alaimo, who was Gul Dukat for all seven seasons of Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

One last thing. A long time ago I was in my local Hastings store and there was a guy in a button up shirt carrying his chihuahua in his shirt and the dog's head was peeking out through the buttons. Reminded me of Kuatto from this movie. Every time I think of that dog's face I think it's going to tell me "Russell... start the reactor".

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #18394 on: January 08, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »
Bumblebee
It was soooooo good! It was everything that I wanted the first Transformers movie to be. It was perfectly nostalgic. The jokes were actually funny. The characters were likeable. It wasn't weighed down by too many robot fights, and the fights they had were actually good.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18395 on: January 09, 2019, 01:09:28 PM »
Yeah, and if they make more Transformers movies or spin-offs(I know, God help us), I hope they decide to keep using the same writer-director team again. What a world of difference it makes when Michael Bay is only producing, huh?

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18396 on: January 09, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
Domestic is only 100 million so far, but foreign is already double that. So maybe we'll get a sequel? Hard to tell at this point. The good word of mouth is helping it. Personally I was excited about the idea of an Optimus Prime movie. Continue the story from this movie, but centered around a different primary character each time.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2621
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18397 on: January 09, 2019, 03:38:05 PM »
Finally caught up with and was pretty underwhelmed with Lady Bird.

It was well made, and the acting was excellent. The dialogue was good. But... It was just fine. I started loving it - the opening scene is excellent - but the more I watched, the less into it I was.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18398 on: January 09, 2019, 08:51:07 PM »
Just watched Big Trouble in Little China on blu-ray. That movie is just so damn good, goofy at times but it is so fun to watch I just find myself not caring.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #18399 on: January 10, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »
Thor: Ragnarok

Ever have a movie that you liked pretty well when you first saw it, maybe you were a little distracted or were trying to follow the movie too closely the first time to pick up on all the peripheral stuff.

Whatever, you liked it the first time. Then you watch it again awhile later, for no reason let's just say a year, and this time you fricking LOVE IT!?

Anyway, that happened to me with this one. Look, just the fact that I REMEMBERED what happened in that movie was a huge step. I can remember having a good time seeing Dark World-- don't remember a damn thing about it. Something about the final battle being partly a fake out... that's it.

THIS ONE, I remember, though. Especially because I went into this movie knowing NOTHING. Even the stuff that was revealed in trailers-- didn't know about it. Didn't even see the movie poster. What I'm saying is I didn't expect Hulk to show up and I will remember THAT feeling for a good long while.

The tone of the movie just hit me more this time, ESPECIALLY the music. I must've listened to that Planet Sakaar song like twenty times in the last couple days.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18400 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:58 AM »
A Night At The Opera (1935) - I thought it was only okay at best. I think all the hype for this film didn't help. I like the Marx Brothers, but have only seen a little of their stuff. I remember not being impressed with Duck Soup that much either. So I thought I would give what is often considered one of their best a try. I didn't care about the love story, that wasn't surprising, and it's apparently a common complaint. But I also didn't care about the opera or the singing, and there was more of it than I thought. But most surprising was that some of the comedy didn't work for me. There is a long contract negotiation scene between Groucho and Zeppo that was just a slog to get through, and I didn't laugh once. Only some of Groucho's one liners worked for me. In fact, the character that made me laugh most consistently was Harpo. His facial expression when the buffet servers are handing him food is priceless. And having him be the central point of the end action during the opera was the best decision they made in the whole movie. I get why they work as a team, but I kind of just wanted to see a movie starring him.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #18401 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
Murder Party

I've been wanting to see this since I saw Green Room and while it's on a very base level thematically similar it's completely different, really funny, low budget comedy/horror 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1521
« Reply #18402 on: January 10, 2019, 09:50:25 PM »
Finally caught up with and was pretty underwhelmed with Lady Bird.

It was well made, and the acting was excellent. The dialogue was good. But... It was just fine. I started loving it - the opening scene is excellent - but the more I watched, the less into it I was.

Felt pretty much exactly the same thing

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 380
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18403 on: January 11, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
A Night At The Opera (1935) - I thought it was only okay at best. I think all the hype for this film didn't help. I like the Marx Brothers, but have only seen a little of their stuff. I remember not being impressed with Duck Soup that much either. So I thought I would give what is often considered one of their best a try. I didn't care about the love story, that wasn't surprising, and it's apparently a common complaint. But I also didn't care about the opera or the singing, and there was more of it than I thought. But most surprising was that some of the comedy didn't work for me. There is a long contract negotiation scene between Groucho and Zeppo that was just a slog to get through, and I didn't laugh once. Only some of Groucho's one liners worked for me. In fact, the character that made me laugh most consistently was Harpo. His facial expression when the buffet servers are handing him food is priceless. And having him be the central point of the end action during the opera was the best decision they made in the whole movie. I get why they work as a team, but I kind of just wanted to see a movie starring him.

I'm a huge Marx brothers fan, and these are all valid complaints (except the contract negotiation scene; I enjoy finding the humor in that). Duck Soup gets critical praise for its ant-war message and extreme surrealism. A Night At the Opera works best as a movie story-wise. But I believe Animal Crackers is their best, because it is their most accessible. It's the best paced imo. The jokes come and go at a brisk enough pace to be interesting without being too much or too little. If I'm introducing someone to them, I start with Animal Crackers. If you're interested in watching any more, I recommend trying Animal Crackers next. And if that doesn't do it for you, then stop immediately. Haha.

Here's a 2min scene from Animal Crackers. It's a good representation of the movie's humor as a whole. If you don't like this, then I say skip it all together:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5xUMeF5rgQo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5xUMeF5rgQo</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18404 on: January 11, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
I watched Conan the Barbarian last night. Excellent movie. Had a lot of fun watching it and Arnold at his very best.