login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1523978 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18375 on: December 29, 2018, 06:28:19 PM »
I've seen it before but I watched Robocop today. I still really like it, Peter Weller and everyone gives a really good performance in this movie. The only thing that's a little off-putting(and I know how silly this is going to sound) for me is I'm not a big fan of all the violence in the movie. Even by today's standards, I think most of us would agree this film is still a hard R.
Did you watch the director's cut? Because that was originally given an X rating by the MPAA and the studio made him cut it.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #18376 on: December 29, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
Halloween (2018)
Pardon my language, but how the fuck did this piece of shit get good reviews. Terrible by the numbers predictable slasher movie that I can't imagine would have gotten any notice if the Halloween name wasn't attached to it.

Online The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4309
« Reply #18377 on: December 29, 2018, 07:04:37 PM »
Probably because it was one of the better sequels to the series.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18378 on: December 29, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »
Better by offering nothing original? As bad as some of those sequels were, I don't think any were as boring and predictable as this one. Perhaps my expectations were too high thanks to the reviews, but I really thought it was terrible.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #18379 on: December 31, 2018, 01:04:41 AM »
Saturday afternoon is usually spent watching one riffed film and one martial arts film. But this week I got stuck doing a family thing with visiting relatives. Fortunately they all went home by evening

The Lone Ranger ( 2013 )
Jerry Bruckheimer and Walt Disney Studios combine forces in order to shit on The Lone Ranger with a film that will piss off any true Lone Ranger fans. So what did they do? First of all hey cut directly to the formula you have seen in so many remake films. The character of John Reid, who eventually becomes the Lone Ranger, is portrayed as a buffoon.  Basically his character is a continuation of a screen character created by Brendan Fraser for his Disney films. He is inept as a hero, who's shooting skills are due to dumb luck rather than dead aim. For example, when he shoots at two bandits, his shot misses, ricochets off of different props, and hits a rope holding a wooden beam hanging above their heads, causing it to drop on them. Even in the final action sequence, most of John Reid's heroics comes down to dumb luck.

( Note that in the original radio show and television series, the Lone Ranger's first name is never given. It was established that his last name was Reid when he adopted his nephew Dan Reid as an additional sidekick. Dan would grow up to become the father of Brett Reid, who becomes the Green Hornet. The name of John originated in a history book of radio programs citing that it had been mentioned in an anniversary show, but recordings of that show prove his first name was never mentioned.  But ever since then reference books have given the Lone Rangers name as John Reid, and it had been used in both the 1981 and 2016 films. )

Tonto is also out of character, and not just the weird war paint and dead crow headdress  that Johnny Depp insisted his character wear.  He is portrayed as insane. One can even see a touch of Hunter S Thompson in his Tonto performance. Tonto and John act as advisories forced to work together  for most of the film. In this movie Kemo Sabe  means "Wrong brother"  in reference to the fact that John survived the ambush that wiped out the rangers instead of his brother. While Kemo Sabe is not a real word, in all previous versions of The Lone Ranger it was said to have meant "Trusted friend". In all previous versions of The Lone Ranger, Tonto discovers John barely alive after he and the other rangers were ambushed by Butch Cavendish and his men, and nurses him back to health. In this film when Tonto discovers Jon is still alive he tries to burry him. But the horse Silver ( who in this film is portrayed as a spirit animal ) prevents him from doing so, and by continuingly walking next to Johns grave, gets Tonto to reluctantly dig hi up. After which Tonto drags him along the ground and even through a pile of horse shit before simply abandoning him on the top of a mesa to heal on his own.

And speaking of Silver, most of the film he is a CGI character, which allows him to do things horses would never do, like run across the top of a moving train. But similar to Spiderman in the first Raimi film, looks slightly fake when moving. Of course that is where the Bruckheimer bit comes in, because all of his films  are not complete without over the top CGI effects and poorly cut and staged CGI action sequences.

With such disrespect shown to the source characters, and both the Disneyfication and Bruckheimerfication of the film, I wish I could give it the bad review it deserves. But it is often entertaining and at times funny. Perhaps if they promoted this film as a Lone Ranger parody then the crap it does to the source material would be a lot less offensive.

This is the last of the Lone Ranger films. There are two other Lone Ranger films out there, both of which were made for television movies that were pilot episodes for proposed television series that were never picked up. Neither have ever been released on home video. If the movies I ordered on Cyber Monday finally arrive then next week I can finish the Zorro films, otherwise next week I begin watching the solo Wonder Woman films.

The Personal History, Adventures, Experience & Observation of David Copperfield The Younger ( 1935 )
Or David Copperfield as it is simplified on the movie poster. I got this one because it is supposed to be one of WC Fields best films. But in this 2 hour 10 minute film, he is in less than 5 minutes combined. Also, all his lines are from a script adapted from a book with no add libbing. So basically, not really a WC Fields film despite him getting top billing and being the main character on all the movie posters. The plot: basically the same as the book. The life of an average 19th century Englishman which is alternatively wonderful and horrible. About half the story is about his miserable childhood, which is why the book is usually confused with Oliver Twist. The publicity for this film boasts a cast of 65 stars. So basically you just have the two actors playing David and a lot of other characters that are not on screen for long. It is supposed to be the most faithful adaption of the book, but they left out the parts where he made the Statue of Liberty dissapear, and walked through the Great Wall of China. ( Or were those bits from Oliver Twist? )

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 332
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18380 on: December 31, 2018, 06:55:34 AM »
Watched Blindspotting last night. Not at all what I was expecting. Quite good.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18381 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
Bird Box (2018)
Netflix horror movie that has gotten a lot of hype. Went in with low expectations in no small part due to not liking Sandra Bullock. Not great, but the best horror movie I've seen in a long while. Kind of a mix of The Happening (minus a lot of the stupidity and it has a monster instead of killer trees), The Night of the Living Dead, and The Road.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 478
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18382 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »
Did you watch the director's cut? Because that was originally given an X rating by the MPAA and the studio made him cut it.
No I just watched what I think is the original version. I'm not a fan of gore or anything but for some reason I really liked both Robocop and Total Recall. (Sorry I took so long to respond Darth)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #18383 on: January 01, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
I saw Burning in an nyc theater.  It was the #1 film on the AV club best of 2018 list, and it was based on a short story by Murakami who I really like, so I figured I would go see it.  It was... ok.  I never read the short story it was based on, but I was expecting something a little more dreamlike and strange based on Murakami's other works.  There were hints of that, of playing with memory and not knowing precisely what is true.  But overall it was pretty straight forward, and unfortunately predictable.  It also happened to be kind of slow, but I guess that's typical of Murakami as well. 

Some of it was quite pretty, especially that whole scene that was shot at magic hour.  But I wanted to be confused and search for meaning afterward, and I was left with something that made sense, and was not worth thinking much about.  The character of Haemi was great though.  She was strange in that Murakami way.

Offline Aeyli

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18384 on: January 04, 2019, 08:34:30 AM »
Shuffle - An Amazon Prime Video special.  A man opens his eyes at age 91, remembering nothing, and from then on every time he goes to sleep he wakes up on a different day of his life, not knowing where or when he is.  Eventually a story line develops.  At first it appears to be a romantic dream, until the protagonist realizes that every move he makes takes the plot deeper and deeper into a dark future of his own ignorant making.  It was really, really good, until the end, when the man is given a second chance at life, the truth of his jumps in time is revealed, and he turns everything around.  I had two minds about the ending: on one hand, I thought it was the satisfactory result that everybody wanted.  On the other hand, it destroyed the truth about the 90% of the film that came before it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18385 on: January 05, 2019, 12:09:21 AM »
After being more-or-less snowed in for my winter break, it was nice to get out today and see Into the Spider-Verse.

Loved it. It's one of the most visually bold movies I've ever seen, and I LOVE that the story wasn't afraid to have fun with its premise, They didn't get bogged down with trying to make things make real-world sense. It made comic-book sense and that's all the sense it needed. And its inclusion of one my childhood favorites, Spider-Ham, helped too. That plus Deadpool makes two of my never-gonna-happen favorites that have made it to the big screen. (Yes, there was a time when Deadpool was an unlikely choice.) Now I shall patiently wait for Slapstick to make his cinematic debut.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3072
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18386 on: January 05, 2019, 05:58:34 PM »
And today we saw Bumblebee.

Turns out Transformers movies can be pretty good when you populate them with interesting and relatable characters. I was fully vested in the relationship between Charlie and Bumblebee. Heartstrings were tugged. Bay's absence is palpable in this movie in a very good way.

And I will happily accept the first 5 minutes of the movie as an apology for the other 5 movies.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18387 on: January 05, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
And I will happily accept the first 5 minutes of the movie as an apology for the other 5 movies.
There were 5 other movies....despite maybe seeing all of them, I had no idea there were 5...or maybe I just saw 2 or 3...not really sure because there wasn't anything to differentiate the ones I did see from each other and I couldn't tell you the plot details of any of them.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18388 on: January 06, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »
Leprechaun Returns (2018) - This was a silly but fun guilty pleasure. Very much like the first one.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #18389 on: January 06, 2019, 11:00:12 PM »
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin ( a.k.a. Master Killer )( 1978 )
One of the absolute classic martial arts films from the 70s. The origin story of San Te,, the legendary Shaolin monk who began teaching Shaolin Kung Fu to civilians outside the temple.  The 36th chamber is a reference to the temple's original 35 chambers, each which taught a different martial arts discipline. The 36th chamber, created by San Te, was specifically for bringing in villagers and teaching them self defense. Although in this film, it was presented as if San Te created the chamber to teach his fellow countrymen Shaolin Kung Fu so they could use it to rise up against the Manchu invaders. And what would a martial arts movie be without a vengeance story? The film begins with San Te's early life story as a rebel named Liu Yude who is the lone survivor of his cell after the local Manchurian general slaughters his teacher, fellow students, best friend, and father in order to wipe out any suspected rebels. He goes to Shaolin to learn martial arts, becoming a Buddhist monk in the process. There he invents the Three Sectioned Staff, the weapon he uses when he finally goes after the Manchurian general for revenge.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women ( 2017 )
Since this week I begin watching all the live action Wonder Woman solo films ( I will get to Justice League some time in the future, )
 I decided to start with a movie that was about the creation of the Wonder Woman character herself. The back story to the film is pretty interesting. On the surface, it seems like SONY decided to cash in on the upcoming DCEU Wonder Woman film, and then got really lucky when Wonder Woman became a monster hit. If you recall, Professor Marston and the Wonder Women was released only a few months later, and had an advertisement campaign that pronounced "The Year Of Wonder Woman Continues". For a while there I suspected SONY had green lit and rushed this film through production just days after the DCEU Wonder Woman broke  box office records. But the project had been in the works for a few years. It was the brain child of Angela Robinson. She was the lesbian director who first got notoriety from a short she released on the internet called D.E.B.S. about teenage girls in schoolgirl outfits who were spies. It became a viral sensation which resulted in Angela being offered the chance to expand D.E.B.S.  into a full length feature film in 2004. It quickly became a cult hit, and she began getting offers from major studios. Unfortunately the offer she accepted was to direct for Disney  Herbie: Fully Loaded ( 2005 ), one of the many Lindsey Lohan comeback films ( as well as a comeback film for the Herbie franchise. ) The movie tanked, and Angela took most of the blame. The offers dried up, and Angela retreated to writing for cable television. She continued to pitch  movies with no success. At one point she began reading about the man who created Wonder Woman, and discovered that he and his wife had a rumored menage au toi with one of Marston's former students. And that the student continued living with his wife long after he died, which suggested to Angela that Mrs Marston and the student were lesbian lovers. And films about lesbians were her specialty. ( the feature film version of D.E.B.S. centered around a lesbian love affair between a D.E.B. spy and one of the enemy agents, turning it into a modern day remake of Romeo and Juliette. ) Then came the good timing of her pitch for the film aligning with Warner Bros. announcing Wonder Woman was to be the follow up film to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

There is actually no real evidence that  the Marstons had any sexual relationship with the student, who they officially took in when she became pregnant out of wedlock. Certainly no proof that his wife and student were lesbians ever existed. And family members have denounced the film as fiction. What is true is that Professor Marston  came up with the discredited DISC theory , which he thought he could demonstrate via comic books, which is why a former psychiatrist created and wrote Wonder Woman. Also, he and his wife invented the lie detector, so they did have a bit of a reputation. One that was destroyed by the menage au toi rumors, resulting in Masterson being fired from his college.   

The film may be speculative fiction, rushed through production to capitalize on the DCUE Wonder Woman, by a director who thought it was a good idea to direct Herbie Fully Loaded, but it is actually a really good film that comes close to Oscar worthy. My only problem with it is that it short changes the actual creation of Wonder Woman. Sure, the events in Marston's life clearly influenced Wonder Woman. But in the actual creation of the character, all you get is Marston returning home with some crudely drawn comic book pages telling his wife and alleged girlfriend about his creation and how he can use it to sublimely teach the world about his DISC theory. It is never explained what gave him the idea of creating a comic book character. And that was suppose to be what the film was all about.

It's The Old Army Game ( 1926 )
Another one of WC Fields silent movies, which suffers from the same problem as the last one I had seen. It is nowhere as good if you can't hear his voice. Most of this film was cannibalized for the script of It's a Gift ( 1934 ), one of my favorite WC Fields sound films. So basically most of the same set pieces are done in both films and can be compared. and every time the same sequence in It's a Gift was vastly improved with the addition of Field's snide remarks. It's The Old Army Game  is often funny. But Field's was a hell of a lot funnier when you could hear him say "Never give a sucker an even break." rather than read it on a title card. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:04:25 PM by stethacantus »