Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582732 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18360 on: December 22, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »
I don't think "the Ghostbusters remake sucks" is an especially hot take... it's just the norm... but fine... I get what you are laying down. I am not and have never been here to troll anybody.

Whatever the 'norm is' (and it's just over 50% approval on RT, even with the hate campaign directed at it, which means liking it is just slightly ahead of disliking it, sorry), whatever the subject, you didn't add anything to the conversation other than seeing someone say they enjoyed it and you saying it sucked/wasn't funny.

Perhaps if you were a regular poster, that wouldn't appear to be trolling, but a 2/3 year crusade against these two films certainly looks otherwise.

I don't see any crusade against Fury Road. I just went back and looked at my posts and they were positive. My gripe was that it would have gone from "oscar worthy" to "disposable action garbage" had you merely swapped genders. I never said it was a bad movie... I quite liked it.

But the Ghostbusters remake... yea, that sucked... that sucked on toast... that sucked on plain bread... that just sucked.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18361 on: December 22, 2018, 09:54:09 PM »
I don't think "the Ghostbusters remake sucks" is an especially hot take... it's just the norm... but fine... I get what you are laying down. I am not and have never been here to troll anybody.

Whatever the 'norm is' (and it's just over 50% approval on RT, even with the hate campaign directed at it, which means liking it is just slightly ahead of disliking it, sorry), whatever the subject, you didn't add anything to the conversation other than seeing someone say they enjoyed it and you saying it sucked/wasn't funny.

Perhaps if you were a regular poster, that wouldn't appear to be trolling, but a 2/3 year crusade against these two films certainly looks otherwise.

I don't see any crusade against Fury Road. I just went back and looked at my posts and they were positive. My gripe was that it would have gone from "oscar worthy" to "disposable action garbage" had you merely swapped genders. I never said it was a bad movie... I quite liked it.

But the Ghostbusters remake... yea, that sucked... that sucked on toast... that sucked on plain bread... that just sucked.

Yeah, I guess it mostly more diminishing than damning in the Fury Road thread - I didn't read too closely, but your Ghostbuster hate-on started well before the movie came out, so again, hard to take it as too serious an opinion.

Anyway, can I ask how this is meant to be read as anything but trolling? "But the Ghostbusters remake... yea, that sucked... that sucked on toast... that sucked on plain bread... that just sucked."
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #18362 on: December 22, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »
Anyway, can I ask how this is meant to be read as anything but trolling? "But the Ghostbusters remake... yea, that sucked... that sucked on toast... that sucked on plain bread... that just sucked."

Well, it's my honest opinion... that's all I can say. The movie wasn't funny. It was almost brutally anti-funny. That's just how I feel about it. I feel bad for Kristen Wiig... she deserves better. I don't feel as bad for Melissa McCarthy, because I never found her terribly funny to begin with.. altho I did like "Spy"... and Kate McKinnon has nothing to offer beyond mugging... maybe she is better in other works.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18363 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »
Well, I tried to warn him. Can't help himself, so he can have a week timeout. I'm sure he can get it all out in Youtube comments or something.
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18364 on: December 22, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
I just watched Howl's Moving Castle tonight and I was uhh... a little dumbfounded. I really didn't find much enjoyment in this movie at all. I'm really having a hard time trying to tell what the story was... a young woman is turned into an old woman after an encounter with a witch, she's trying to break the curse, she comes upon all sorts of characters when she gets to Howl's moving Castle. There's something about a war using magic or something, fire demon... imho the movie just didn't quite coalesce into that strong of a narrative. I know, I know, blasphemy. I'm sorry Hayao Miyazaki fans... I just did not like it.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18365 on: December 22, 2018, 10:42:30 PM »
I just watched Howl's Moving Castle tonight and I was uhh... a little dumbfounded. I really didn't find much enjoyment in this movie at all. I'm really having a hard time trying to tell what the story was... a young woman is turned into an old woman after an encounter with a witch, she's trying to break the curse, she comes upon all sorts of characters when she gets to Howl's moving Castle. There's something about a war using magic or something, fire demon... imho the movie just didn't quite coalesce into that strong of a narrative. I know, I know, blasphemy. I'm sorry Hayao Miyazaki fans... I just did not like it.

That's on my rewatch pile right now - When I saw it at the cinema I fell asleep, and I'm not sure I ever went back to it? It didn't wow me either, though I do want to give it another go, and I have it as part of my complete Miyazaki blu ray set.
FINE

Online stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #18366 on: December 23, 2018, 11:06:52 PM »
Winners and Sinners ( 1983 )
This was the first of Sammo Hung's all star comedies, technically the first of the Lucky Stars films . Although promoted in the United States as a Jackie Chan film, Jackie is only in it as a guest star. It is more of a showcase for Hong Kong screen comedians Richard Ng, Charlie Chin, John Sham and Stanley Fung, with Sammo Hung being the fifth member of their gang. All five meet in prison, and decide to go strait when they get out and create their own house cleaning company. They accidentally come in possession of plates for counterfeit money, and the gang that lost them wants them back. Chan, who was also filming a guest starring role in Fantasy Mission Force at the same time, plays a headstrong police detective who causes more damage than good. Although not in much of the movie, he contributes one of the greatest action scenes ever put on film. It begins with Chan in a roller skating competition  when he spots an attempted robbery. He chases after the crooks on roller skates, not giving up the pursuit even after they get into a sports car and drive off. He chases them onto a busy highway, keeping up with them by grabbing onto the backs of cars, and at one point skating under a moving truck to reach a car on the other side. Director Sammo Hung ends the scene with Chan finally getting in front of the crooks car and stopping them by aiming a gun at them, which in turn causes a massive multi car pileup. Chan also has a couple of brief but well choreographed fight scenes, one with Yuen Biao. Winners and Sinnersis a dumb but entertaining comedy. And despite being a Hong Kong comedy, has a lot of gags that actually work.

The Legend of the Lone Ranger ( 1981 )
Continuing with the Lone Ranger films. This one I actually saw in theaters as a double feature with The Burning which was yet another slasher film set in a summer camp. The star of the film was Kilton Spilsbury, a name you probably never heard of as he never appeared in a film again. At the time he only had two other credits, an episode of Lou Grant, and as an extra on another film. Had this movie been a hit, there would have been more Lone Ranger films with Spilsbury, and he would have been a household name. But the film bombed, and Spilsbury received most of the blame. The producers, who tried to distance themselves from the failure, leaked to the press that Spilsbury's lines needed to be overdubbed by actor James Keach. Despite being both a box office and critical dud, I liked this film, both back then and now. The biggest complaint this film gets is that Spilsbury doesn't actually become the Lone Ranger until an hour into the 90 minute film,  Today this is normal for an origin film.

It should be noted that this film is where  the most memorable stunt from Raiders of the Lost Ark came from. An outlaw trying to stop a stagecoach jumps onto the lead horses and was suppose to drop down in between them, go under the carriage and up the back, and come up behind the driver. But he slipped and fell, and got trampled by the horses. The stuntman survived, and the director decided to use the footage, change the script so that the bandit making the attempt was killed.  The same stunt team worked on Raiders and suggested the same stunt to Spielberg, only this time with Indiana Jones going under a moving truck.  I think Spielberg added the part where Jones uses the whip instead of grabbing onto the back with his hands, because he wanted the whip to be used as often as possible. 

Six of a Kind ( 1934 )
I was disappointed by this one. Here you had three of the decades most prominent comedic couples. Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland who starred together in many hit comedies. George Burns and Gracie Allen. And in one of their few films together, WC Fields and Alison Skipworth. They first appeared together in If I Had A Million, their segment which became popular enough that they were paired together again as the stars of Tillie and Gus. This would be their third film together. However, they barely interact. They don't show up until the film is nearly halfway over, this despite Fields getting billing over Burns & Allen. At least Fields gets to do his famous "Honest John" pool routine. The film was directed by Leo McCarey, which makes it all the more disappointing that it was a weak comedy. Ruggles and Boland are a married couple who want to go on a road trip to California. Boland puts an advertisement in the newspaper for another couple to join them and share expenses. What they get is Burns & Allen who turn out to be the 1930s version of the couple from hell. There is good material here, but not much. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:17:26 PM by stethacantus »

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #18367 on: December 24, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
Apocalypse Now Redux
Hadn't seen the original in a long time and not sure I'd ever seen the redux version with some scenes that had been cut re-added. Visually amazing. So many scenes that would be done with CGI now. Mixed feeling about the re-added scenes. It was one of a few movies with a 3 plus hour running time that never bored me at any point, but not sure the added scenes added a whole lot to the plot.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18368 on: December 25, 2018, 01:21:54 PM »
Posted these in the projects thread because I had just hooked up my Vizio 5.1 surround sound system on Christmas eve . .
Die Hard 1
Die Hard 2
They sounded really good so I had to watch ID4 and Christmas decorations along with other stuff was shaking and rattling in the living room  :D

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18369 on: December 25, 2018, 01:25:24 PM »
Gremlins
I don't know why I haven't done this, but I never, ever watched Gremlins and Hobgoblins back to back before. I was gonna write a couple paragraphs on this subject but I think I can aptly sum up my thoughts like this... everybody working on Gremlins actually gave a shit about what they were doing. The makers of Hobgoblins... didn't give a shit.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18370 on: December 25, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
Home Alone (1990) - I watched this again with my parents. It's a yearly tradition, practically since it originally came out. Still SO good. The highlight is the home invasion sequence near the end, but the rest of the movie is consistently funny and well made.

I noticed this time that the pizza place, Little Nero's (clearly a parody of Little Caesar's) has a slogan "No Fiddlin' Around". Because Nero is the one that allegedly fiddled while Rome burned.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #18371 on: December 25, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
I have screeners for Marry Poppins Returns and Bohemian Rhapsody, so I took them home to watch with my family over the break. Marry Poppins was pretty boring. Might have fallen asleep. But I hate most musicals, so that shouldn’t be surprising. My mom loved it. Bohemian Rhapsody was a lot better than I was expecting. I figured I was going to fall asleep during that too, but the story was entertaining enough. If the music would have been replaced with any other band I don’t think I would have enjoyed it much though. I could listen to Queen all day. 

I also have a screener for Vice. We’ll see if we get around to watching that while I’m here.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18372 on: December 26, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »
Mary Poppins Returns - Unfortunately I didn't really like it. Emily Blunt is great as Mary Poppins, and Lin Manuel Miranda is good as the lamplighter Jack (and is probably the best part of the movie, really). But I just couldn't get into it. The songs aren't as good. The look of the movie was darker and dreary. Certain characters seem to be more active in the plot than Mary herself at some points. The Topsy turvy scene just annoyed me for some reason. And I didn't like Mr. Banks at all.
It's a shame, I wanted to like it.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5180
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18373 on: December 29, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Finally saw Mission: Impossible - Fallout.  I get why it was so well-regarded.  It doesn't re-invent the wheel, it's just a VERY well made spy adventure movie with great twists and sensational action scenes.  This is the only Mission: Impossible movie to have a returning director and while I would have loved to see another director tackle the franchise, Christopher MacQuarrie makes the movie a Hell of a ride.  I never look forward to a Mission: Impossible movie, but I always find them a joy.  I also like that the villain
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18374 on: December 29, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
I've seen it before but I watched Robocop today. I still really like it, Peter Weller and everyone gives a really good performance in this movie. The only thing that's a little off-putting(and I know how silly this is going to sound) for me is I'm not a big fan of all the violence in the movie. Even by today's standards, I think most of us would agree this film is still a hard R.