login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1565870 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18345 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:16 AM »
the fact that most of the original Ghostbusters were in it was fantastic (RIP Harold Ramis).

The cameos were hit and miss, in my opinion.  Ernie Hudson's was great and Bill Murray essentially being a Bill Murray version of Walter Peck but man, that Dan Ackroyd cameo.  That was... oof.  Otherwise the movie is pretty great.  Having shit come out of the letter boxing is an interesting idea but I don't think it works... at least not in the home theatre experience.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18346 on: December 17, 2018, 09:52:02 AM »
I didn't like Bill Murray's cameo. It wasn't funny to me at all.

The best part of the movie to me was that it was a remake, not a sequel or spinoff. Having the women invent the technology themselves gives them a lot more credibility than if they had just been handed it to them by the original male characters.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18347 on: December 17, 2018, 10:24:42 AM »
the fact that most of the original Ghostbusters were in it was fantastic (RIP Harold Ramis).

The cameos were hit and miss, in my opinion.  Ernie Hudson's was great and Bill Murray essentially being a Bill Murray version of Walter Peck but man, that Dan Ackroyd cameo.  That was... oof.  Otherwise the movie is pretty great.  Having shit come out of the letter boxing is an interesting idea but I don't think it works... at least not in the home theatre experience.

The Outside-the-Letterbox thing looked AWESOME in IMAX 3D. It actually gave the illusion of things coming out of the screen rather than the usual diorama effect. But yeah, on home video, not so much.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 111
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #18348 on: December 18, 2018, 11:07:47 AM »
Watched Anna and the Apocalypse this past weekend at a theater.  It was good for the most part, though not quite as good as the film it's most often compared to, Shaun of the Dead.  The musical numbers are hit-and-miss for me, especially in the early going before the zombies show up, where they feel like High School Musical castoffs.  Still, mostly fun going through, with only the end being a real weak spot.  Paul Kaye steals everything as Headmaster Savage.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18349 on: December 18, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »
Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse - This was phenomenal! I get why people are saying it's their favorite Spider-Man movie. I wouldn't go that far, but it is impressive. Particularly with it's visuals.
While we don't get to know much about the Kingpin, but I love that his motivations are so relationship based and personal. Rather than just power and/or money.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18350 on: December 20, 2018, 07:57:03 PM »
I saw Bumblebee tonight, not so much because I owe the franchise anything or something like that but because I've been hearing so much positive buzz I just couldn't ignore it. At first glance one might feel that the movie tries to appeal to classic G1 Transformers fans like me via the rather cheap route of nostalgia. While I do admit there's some great nostalgic moments in this movie and this movie is the first of all these live action ones to get the designs of the Transformers (mostly) right, there's actually something else here. It's manifested mostly in the form of the character named Charlie(Hailee Steinfield). She has a great character arc in this movie but what's most important is that she feels like a real character and that goes a long way in supporting who is supposed to obviously be the main character of this film: Bumblebee.

I don't know about everyone else but even with the 2007 Transformers film I barely got anything out of the people played by Shia Labeouf or Megan Fox(see? I can't even remember their damn names). Unlike all the other Bayformers, there's something about this film that makes it feel genuine and dare I say... crazy good? I might also have my opinion influenced here by all the great music in the movie, seeing as how it's set in 1987. Again, that might seem like a cheap ploy to appeal to your nostalgia for a different time, but it didn't feel that way to me.

The biggest thing I would draw a comparison to is 1982's E.T. . Just like Chris Stuckmann said in his review, Bumblebee has a lot of story beats that feel like they were... inspired... by E.T.. . Forgive me if it sounds like I'm giving the movie way too much credit. What's important is that if they keep the franchise on track like this, without Shia, without Megan, without Mark Wahlberg, and without frickin' Michael Bay in the Director's chair, it feels alright to believe in the Transformers again. Honestly? That's all I wanted. 2007's Transformers overwhelmed me so much in all the wrong ways that I was so impressed to the level at which I was willing to overlook all the serious flaws about that movie... and for a time some of the other movies too.

As somebody who is so self-critical I have to ask myself the tough questions: Did I willfully overlook the problems with this movie just so I could give it a good grade? No, it's genuinely a very good movie compared to all the other Transformers movies released between 2007 and 2017. I know that's a low bar, but I'm honestly thinking most people are going to come into this movie and come out feeling blown away(in a good sense) and not overwhelmed by tons of Robot CGI and other stuff that seriously bothered me about some of the other Transformers flicks.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #18351 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »

The best part of the movie to me was that it was a remake, not a sequel or spinoff. Having the women invent the technology themselves gives them a lot more credibility than if they had just been handed it to them by the original male characters.

lol. I mean.... it's so much better that the females invented the completely unbelievable tech that isn't at all important in the big picture and should only be viewed as a plot device?!?  Yea... a victory for women. The Ghostbusters remake sucked because it wasn't funny... it had nothing to do with who invented the proton pack.

The last movie I watched...

The Mule

Clint Eastwood... at the grand old age of 86 or 99 or how ever old he is can still both act in and direct a movie. That said, it's not a great film... but it's merely a decent movie. He performs the affable old man routine, points his camera in the direction of the action and it all sort of works out.... No doubt dull in spots but entertaining enough overall, would recommend as a rental. 

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #18352 on: December 22, 2018, 09:30:19 AM »

lol. I mean.... it's so much better that the females invented the completely unbelievable tech that isn't at all important in the big picture and should only be viewed as a plot device?!?  Yea... a victory for women. The Ghostbusters remake sucked because it wasn't funny... it had nothing to do with who invented the proton pack.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18353 on: December 22, 2018, 01:05:16 PM »

You just appeared for the first time in five months to shit on the Ghostbusters reboot in two different thread after your last post here was... in the Ghostbusters thread.

You're either unhealthily obsessed or a troll.

Either way, knock it off. There's no need to come here and take a dump every time someone posts that they saw and enjoyed the film. The movie happened, move on with your life.
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18354 on: December 22, 2018, 09:05:45 PM »

You just appeared for the first time in five months to shit on the Ghostbusters reboot in two different thread after your last post here was... in the Ghostbusters thread.

Either way, knock it off. There's no need to come here and take a dump every time someone posts that they saw and enjoyed the film. The movie happened, move on with your life.

I will post in whatever thread I want, whenever I want. I've been around here since pretty much day one... and while I'm not terribly active anymore... I'm hardly a troll. In this thread I quoted a post that was only a few days old. Is that a problem?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18355 on: December 22, 2018, 09:17:12 PM »

I will post in whatever thread I want, whenever I want. I've been around here since pretty much day one... and while I'm not terribly active anymore... I'm hardly a troll. In this thread I quoted a post that was only a few days old. Is that a problem?

You have, in the last two years, posted almost exclusively in the Fury Road and the Ghostbusters thread, like an Incel Candyman summoned from Hell any time someone mentions a movie with a female lead.

I guess you can post in any thread you like, just as I can ban you for being a troll.
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18356 on: December 22, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »

You have, in the last two years, posted almost exclusively in the Fury Road and the Ghostbusters thread, like an Incel Candyman summoned from Hell any time someone mentions a movie with a female lead.

I guess you can post in any thread you like, just as I can ban you for being a troll.

If you want to ban me for *gasp* wrongthink, then knock yourself out... I certainly can't stop you.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18357 on: December 22, 2018, 09:27:27 PM »

If you want to ban me for *gasp* wrongthink, then knock yourself out... I certainly can't stop you.

I didn't say it was from having a wrong opinion, I said for trolling behaviour.

Again, you seem to use these forums to come and exclusively shit on just those films.

Your opinion has been heard.

I've just asked you to maybe broaden the topics of your hot takes if you are in fact not just here attempting to upset people.
FINE

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18358 on: December 22, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »

I didn't say it was from having a wrong opinion, I said for trolling behaviour.

Again, you seem to use these forums to come and exclusively shit on just those films.

Your opinion has been heard.

I've just asked you to maybe broaden the topics of your hot takes if you are in fact not just here attempting to upset people.

I don't think "the Ghostbusters remake sucks" is an especially hot take... it's just the norm... but fine... I get what you are laying down. I am not and have never been here to troll anybody.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18359 on: December 22, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
I don't think "the Ghostbusters remake sucks" is an especially hot take... it's just the norm... but fine... I get what you are laying down. I am not and have never been here to troll anybody.

Whatever the 'norm is' (and it's just over 50% approval on RT, even with the hate campaign directed at it, which means liking it is just slightly ahead of disliking it, sorry), whatever the subject, you didn't add anything to the conversation other than seeing someone say they enjoyed it and you saying it sucked/wasn't funny.

Perhaps if you were a regular poster, that wouldn't appear to be trolling, but a 2/3 year crusade against these two films certainly looks otherwise.
FINE