login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1541379 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5649
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18285 on: October 27, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »
Can someone please explain how in the hell Superman returns is a better film than Man of steel?
It’s watchable?
I just think it's interesting that a movie that is arguably little more than a glorified remake is still better than something that is pretty unique and not really modeled off any previous Superman story... afaik.

Yeah, because the director doesn't like comic books and didn't make a Superman movie at all.

It still pisses me off that he had to kill Zod. He's fucking superman. The point is that he can basically do anything, and the one thing he avoids doing at all cost is killing someone. Fucking stupid. They could have written him out of it, but they wanted edgy and dark. It's stupid. DCEU is hot garbage and this is the film that kicked it off. Fuck that noise. Iron Man may not be the BEST MCU movie, but it manages to get the idea that superheroes are a goofy concept, so let's have some fun with it.
The Superman of the comics, who is an actual hero, would not have. But the character in Zack Snyder's movie, raised by that AWFUL version of Pa Kent, would. It's consistent to within the movie, but not anything like how we have come to know the character from the comics. The Superman from the DCEU would not have become a beloved character and lasted 80 years, he'd be the kind of douchbag character invented in the 90s that never lasted more than a few years and we'd look back on as indicative of the bad decade of comics.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 518
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18286 on: October 27, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
Maybe the Superman of Man of Steel is actually Superboy. Why? Because "I AM A MAN!"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18287 on: October 28, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
The Boneyard (1991)

This was really good! I was expecting just a goofy bad movie, but it is so much more than that. The effects are good for something this low budget. The overall plot did not go as I expected either. It's most known for having Phyllis Diller and a zombie poodle. It does have those, but that's not all. Diller is interesting, because she's good when she's playing her character that is different than herself, and she's not so good when she occasionally drops into her expected mannerisms. The lead actress who plays the psychic is very good, and she is also very heavy. Not what you would normally have as a leading lady, so I appreciated that unconventional casting. It does have some slow parts, but that just goes towards the unconventional storyline.
I would definitely recommend it.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #18288 on: October 28, 2018, 11:33:23 PM »
Corpse Mania ( 1981 )
Still can't locate Human Lanterns, which would have made a good horror film for the Saturday before Halloween. It's the story of a Kung Fu Master who hires an artist to make decorative lanterns, not realizing the artist is a serial killer, and the lanterns are made from the skin of his victims. Instead this week I will be watching two films directed by Kuei Chih  Hung, the notable director of asian horror films. It was a toss up between this film and Killer Snakes (1974). But I remembered liking this movie more.

Corpse Mania was made during the hight of the slasher film craze in America, where films like Halloween, Motel Hell, Friday the 13th and Prom Night were making millions. Perhaps Shaw Brothers wanted this film to cross over into the American market. It was made during the few years that Shaw Brothers began producing English language films with American actors specifically for distribution in the United States, having success with Meteor ( 1979 ) and Blade Runner ( 1982 ).

Unlike the American slasher films, Corpse Mania had an intelligent script. Sure, it began with a killer who had sex with his dead victims, then escalated into the killer stalking and stabbing prostitutes, most of the film was a murder mystery with the investigating detective not just trying to find out where the killer is, but what is motivating him to stalk the same brothel. It even ends with a twist ending.

The Boxers Omen ( 1983 )
This is the movie Kuei Chih Hung is best remembered for. Notably because of a VHS bootleg from Taiwan, which was the only available home video copy untill Image released the film on DVD in 2006. The Boxers Omen earns it's cult following. A kickboxer learns that he has been cursed by a black magic warlock, and has to travel to Thailand to become a Buddhist monk in order to break the spell. There are plenty of gross out moments, such as when the boxer coughs up a live eel, or the warlock cuts the anus off a live chicken and eats it as part of a spell. Aside from the magic, there is a sub plot involving a kick boxing match where the boxer fights Bolo Yeung who had crippled his brother in an earlier fight.

The Bold Caballero ( 1937 )
About a year and a half ago the Zorro films were not on Wikipedia's superhero film list. According to that list the first theatrically released feature film was Superman and the Molemen ( 1951 ), followed by the 1966 Batman film, and then Superman in 1978. I always thought of Zorro as a sort of proto-superhero and wondered why he and a few others weren't on the list, but the Shadow and Phantom and Green Hornet did make the list. So did Dick Tracy, but only the Warren Beatty film, not the 1940s films. Eventually Zorro and The Lone Ranger made the list. Dick Tracy, off the list completely. Kiss made the list, in their only feature film. Apparently Kiss are all superheroes.

I already bought the two Anthony Banderas Zorro films as part of my Spielberg collection ( that reminds me, it is in need of updating. ) So for the next few weeks I will be watching the rest. I was actually holding off on the Zorro films because I was waiting for a Douglas Fairbanks Blu-ray set to come out, which never did and is most likely permanently cancelled seeing how Kino seems to be phasing out of silent movie distribution. BTW, I am saving the silent Zorro films for last, so I am watching the Zorro films out of chronological order. But that doesn't really matter as they are from different studios and all reboots of the same story.

The Bold Caballero was the first sound film with Zorro.  It is also the only Zorro film not to have Zorro in the title. The copy I got was from Image and was included as a bonus in their release of the serial Zorro's Black Whip. And since I am planning to begin collecting movie serials with superheroes once I have completed the feature film collection, this was like killing two birds with one stone. However, I may have erred. According to the DVD box, which was released in 2004, The Bold Caballero was extremely rare, and untill recently believe to have been a lost film. Filmed in two tone Technicolor process with the reds, blues and black and white all on separate film strips and combined in the projector, only the red film element was rediscovered, and used to recreate a black and white copy of the film. One slight problem. I found out that the Alpha Video release was in full color, suggesting the blue and original black and white film elements were rediscovered after the Image release. Then again, maybe Alpha simply colorized the film to recreate it's original Technicolor release. I am not going to worry too much about missing the full color print, as early Technicolor sucked.

So what about the film itself? The plot is very simplistic. Almost as simple as the plot from any of Disney's Zorro television episodes. Don Diego falls in love with the daughter of California's new governor. The general who previously ruled California has the new governor killed and Zorro framed for his murder. The daughter becomes the new governor and vows to bring Zorro to justice.

This movie has the worst Zorro costume ever, which has him wearing a black hood instead of mask, and no hat. It almost looks like a ghost costume if someone used black bedsheets instead of white bedsheets. But that hardly matters as Don Diego rarely changes into Zorro during the film. In fact, the entire climax has him fight as Don Diego and not as Zorro. It's not a bad film, just one that's not really worth watching.

If I had a million (1932 )
Continuing with the WC Fields films, this is another one where he only contributes to a single segment. The plot has a rich eccentric multimillionaire who is told by his doctor he doesn't have long to live, giving away his money to strangers he randomly picks from a phone book rather than allowing his freeloading family to inherit it. What follows is eight different segments featuring different characters receiving checks for a million dollars. Each segment being directed by a different director and with a different cast.

It is supposed to be a comedy, but many of the segments are downright dark. A criminal on the run from police for forging checks receives a $1 million check,  and discovers he can't cash it without being arrested. The final segment has old women in a retirement home being mildly abused by the staff, and in tears because their spouses are dead and their children have abandoned them. They cheer up when one of the women gets a $1 million check and uses it to buy the old age home, but it is still depressing as hell before we get to that part. And there is the segment where a man in death row receives a check just as he is being lead to the electric chair. Ha ha ha. 

Some segments are not dark. But most of them are simply employees getting the check then telling their boss off. WC Fields is in the only segment that is legitimately funny. He and his wife ( Alison Skipworth ) had been saving up all their lives to buy a car. But the first time they drive their new car, a reckless driver in a truck runs a red light and totals it. When they return home they discover Alison has been given a $1 million check. She uses it to buy an entire fleet of used cars, then hires drivers to drive the rest of them while they follow the car she and Fields are in. Whenever they see a reckless driver, Fields chases after them and deliberately crashes into them, wrecking both cars. He and Alison then get into the next used car and go hunting for more reckless drivers to crash into. This continues until the entire fleet of used cars has been wrecked. Satisfied that they have done their part to rid the roads of dangerous drivers, Alison decides to buy a fancy new car. But only seconds after driving out of the dealership, they are broadsided by another reckless driver. Despite the bad luck, Alison declares that this has been the best day she has ever had. The segment ends with WC Fields stumbling over his closing line. Normally this would require a retake, but apparently they didn't have Fields long enough to do retakes. Like many of the cast members ( including Gary Cooper and Charles Laughton, ) he only agreed to a single days work.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18289 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:22 AM »

If I had a million (1932 )
Continuing with the WC Fields films, this is another one where he only contributes to a single segment. The plot has a rich eccentric multimillionaire who is told by his doctor he doesn't have long to live, giving away his money to strangers he randomly picks from a phone book rather than allowing his freeloading family to inherit it. What follows is eight different segments featuring different characters receiving checks for a million dollars. Each segment being directed by a different director and with a different cast.

It is supposed to be a comedy, but many of the segments are downright dark. A criminal on the run from police for forging checks receives a $1 million check,  and discovers he can't cash it without being arrested. The final segment has old women in a retirement home being mildly abused by the staff, and in tears because their spouses are dead and their children have abandoned them. They cheer up when one of the women gets a $1 million check and uses it to buy the old age home, but it is still depressing as hell before we get to that part. And there is the segment where a man in death row receives a check just as he is being lead to the electric chair. Ha ha ha. 

Some segments are not dark. But most of them are simply employees getting the check then telling their boss off. WC Fields is in the only segment that is legitimately funny. He and his wife ( Alison Skipworth ) had been saving up all their lives to buy a car. But the first time they drive their new car, a reckless driver in a truck runs a red light and totals it. When they return home they discover Alison has been given a $1 million check. She uses it to buy an entire fleet of used cars, then hires drivers to drive the rest of them while they follow the car she and Fields are in. Whenever they see a reckless driver, Fields chases after them and deliberately crashes into them, wrecking both cars. He and Alison then get into the next used car and go hunting for more reckless drivers to crash into. This continues until the entire fleet of used cars has been wrecked. Satisfied that they have done their part to rid the roads of dangerous drivers, Alison decides to buy a fancy new car. But only seconds after driving out of the dealership, they are broadsided by another reckless driver. Despite the bad luck, Alison declares that this has been the best day she has ever had. The segment ends with WC Fields stumbling over his closing line. Normally this would require a retake, but apparently they didn't have Fields long enough to do retakes. Like many of the cast members ( including Gary Cooper and Charles Laughton, ) he only agreed to a single days work.
This sounds like a movie that would make for a great remake.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18290 on: October 29, 2018, 10:02:32 AM »
XX

I wanted to like this more.  I love the idea of a female-centric horror anthology but it's a horror anthology so at best, it's going to be like, 50% good.  The first story is the best and it's less of a "boo!" horror story and more about the horror of the inexplicable.  A mother and father become concerned when, after her son looks in a box held by a man on a train, he suddenly just... stops eating.  Forever.  Then things get stranger when other family members stop eating when the son tells them something.  You aren't going to be conventionally scared but it is much more of a strange emotional horror story.

The second one is a bit of a weak comedy piece directed by musician St. Vincent.  It's not that funny (though the title reveal at the end is pretty amusing) but the segment looks really good.  Does St. Vincent directed her own videos?  Because she should.

The third one is the weakest, a very generic "boo!  Monster!" story.  The only good thing I can say is that... the title reveal mage me MUCH more hopeful for a good story (the title is only tangentially related to the story).

The last is the biggest disappointment, since it was directed by Karyn Kusama, who did a great movie a couple years ago called "the Invitation" and I was hoping for a movie as equally intense.  It's not a bad idea for a story: mother realizes her teenage son is the anti-Christ.  The allegory isn't bad either: dealing with the fact of how your child has changed as they get older and wanting to see his shitty deadbeat dad (Satan).  But the tone is mostly too cheesy, especially by the end.

So it's mostly a miss, but I do recommend that first story.  It's pretty good.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18291 on: October 29, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »

The last is the biggest disappointment, since it was directed by Karyn Kusama, who did a great movie a couple years ago called "the Invitation" and I was hoping for a movie as equally intense.  It's not a bad idea for a story: mother realizes her teenage son is the anti-Christ.  The allegory isn't bad either: dealing with the fact of how your child has changed as they get older and wanting to see his shitty deadbeat dad (Satan).  But the tone is mostly too cheesy, especially by the end.

Sounds like Little Evil did this idea much better.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18292 on: October 31, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
Final Girl

This was a big disappointment.  The film is about a gang of killer bros who hunt women for sport whose next victim turns out to be a trained assassin.  That sounds like I'm spoiling it, doesn't it.  I thought the same thing when that was more of less the description on Netflix.  But that's revealed right away and, well, there are very few actual surprises after that.  Feels like the director should have made the choice to slowly reveal that.  Instead, there is very little tension, the kills are not terribly creative and there's a part that implies that it wouldn't be hard for our heroine to turn these baddies against each other that is STRONGLY hinted, yet doesn't pay off.  It's a pretty weak affair, all things considered... but at least it doesn't feel overlong.  So that's something, I guess.

BTW, don't confuse this with the Final Girls, which sounds like a much better movie.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #18293 on: October 31, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
Your description of Final Girl sounds a lot like what I thought about Kill Bill- except in Kill Bill's case it was overly long.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18294 on: November 01, 2018, 10:13:18 PM »
I just got back from seeing Bohemian Rhapsody and while some parts dragged a little bit for me, I think it's still a great celebration of Queen and Freddie Mercury. If you guys love Queen's music at all, then you owe it to yourself to see this movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18295 on: November 03, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
I'm halfway through Waterworld, writing riffs for the Quiptracks/ICWXP crossover. God, this movie is an irredeemable piece of shit! I can't believe it cost $175 million in 1995!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18296 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »
I'm halfway through Waterworld, writing riffs for the Quiptracks/ICWXP crossover. God, this movie is an irredeemable piece of shit! I can't believe it cost $175 million in 1995!
I can believe it. Me and my mom and dad saw it on opening weekend and as I recall there were tons of empty seats. Sad, really.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #18297 on: November 03, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »
Samurai Cop 2 (2015)
Not a fan of most bad movies that are “in on the joke” as it were and parts of this one made me think that this was one of those movies. And then other parts just made me think WTF is going on, this can't be intentional-someone had to write this and think that it made sense in some way. So overall, WTF. WTF. WTF. I understood what was supposed to be going on in certain scenes, but overall WTF was going on and why. Joe Estevez playing a parody of a typical Joe Estevez character was pretty surreal. And old Samurai cop looked a lot like Weird Al in a lot of scenes which just added to my WTF confusion. Not good. Was it riffable? They'd obviously cut out a lot of the softcore porn aspects from early in the movie, but I honestly don't know about the rest. Just a confusing mess of a movie no matter what the intent.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18298 on: November 03, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »
Batman: The Return of the Caped Crusader

I remember liking the earlier DC Comics direct-to-video animated movies... up until I saw Justice League: War, which was largely not good (despite a pretty fun take on Wonder Woman). Since then I had no real strong desire to check up on them. But I decided to try this one on a whim. Though I get the appeal of the old Batman show, I have no strong nostalgia for it and I was afraid that this was mostly what it was going to be. It starts out as a pretty generic pastiche but then it gets wild in a way that's great. The middle section is the best, allowing Adam West to deliver Frank Miller dialogue (it's great) and showing us what an evil Adam West Batman would be like (re: delightful). The writers made a silly, goofy and at times surprisingly clever little story, even though the point is the bad guy's silly plots and clues are ludicrous.

Unfortunately, in being true to the old show, fights where Catwoman is present mostly consists of her standing off to the side and looking dreamy (or, in one instance, pretending to fight for some reason), though she does get a few moments. So despite a slow start, this one is actually pretty winning.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18299 on: November 03, 2018, 08:26:43 PM »
Deep Rising - I haven't seen this movie in years. It is so much fun! Honestly, the only real downside I can think of is the dated CGI, but considering that it was the 90s it could have looked a LOT worse. Otherwise it's got good action, a creative monster design, lots of monster action throughout the movie not just at the end, good acting, memorable characters. What's not to love?