Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1763390 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1140
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19455 on: November 26, 2020, 12:29:47 PM »
The Invisible Man - The dark universe started off with the disastrous The Mummy, starring Tom Cruise. Fortunately, The Invisible Man proves to be pretty much an excellent, dark and terrifying film. Here, let's compare budgets: The Mummy's budget? 125 million fucking dollars. The Invisible Man? Seven Million. Sometimes budget never, ever means better.

The most praiseworthy aspect of this film is Elisabeth Moss's excellent performance as Cecillia Kass, a woman who is being stalked and haunted by something that seems to be her controlling psychopath of a husband. I first saw Elisabeth Moss on Mad Men as the very sexy Peggy Olson, and even though she may not have quite achieved the same sex symbol status as January Jones or Christina Hendricks, she proved that she can be sexy and also act.

The movie starts off gripping as hell, with Cecillia Kass waking up in the middle of the night and trying to escape her palatial estate. I was instantly hooked, asking myself all sorts of questions, like Why in the hell would anyone want leave such a kickass place? The answers came pretty much instantly, and they were terrifying. When the jigsaw pieces of what's going on in the movie start to come together in your head, you begin to realize the kind of terror you're in for, and somehow that makes this movie a million times scarier than the kind of things a Mummy can bring forth.

There's also no chance to get lost in a hail of special effects. Sometimes minimalism is the way to go, especially when it comes to horror. As Nicholas Meyer said, "Art works best within restrictions.".

My only issue with The Invisible Man is that it kind of stuck to the trope of the insane woman, the woman who is a victim and labeled as insane. I suppose it was necessary in order to make the movie work, but these days I prefer my protagonists to be smart, cunning, and savvy. To be fair though, if they were, this wouldn't be a horror movie.

The Invisible Man is a damn great movie. It was rated R for violence and language. That being said, it's a horror movie with one of the softest R's ever since it had very little in the way of violence and language(except for a few MF bombs). Aside from that, nothing you haven't seen in a lot of PG-13 movies over the years.
"Russoguru is a naive jackass"
“I have no issues calling you a fucking moron. That's not dehumanizing you.”

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6652
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19456 on: November 26, 2020, 02:53:34 PM »

My only issue with The Invisible Man is that it kind of stuck to the trope of the insane woman, the woman who is a victim and labeled as insane.
I loved the movie, but I agree with you about this. The worst part was they even had the obligatory cliché mental hospital scene. Which by that point in the movie was completely unnecessary.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19457 on: November 27, 2020, 06:44:13 PM »
I loved the movie, but I agree with you about this. The worst part was they even had the obligatory cliché mental hospital scene. Which by that point in the movie was completely unnecessary.
Yup, other than that it was a damn great movie.

God's not dead - No, God's not dead, he never fucking existed. Dear "Christians" - Take your Persecution Complex and stick it straight up your fucking ass. Nobody's fucking persecuting you, you fucking drama queen shit heads. Go live life as a member of the LGBT community for a while and then you'll know what persecution is.

Anyway,  Kevin Sorbet plays an evil, wicked horrible, persecuting Atheist teacher and forces a student by the name of Joss Whedon that he must conform to Atheist beliefs or DIE!!! JK, He'll lose 30% of his grade or some shit.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys that this movie is 100% propaganda, and works best as something to be mocked.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 162
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #19458 on: November 27, 2020, 09:05:40 PM »
God's not dead - No, God's not dead, he never fucking existed. Dear "Christians" - Take your Persecution Complex and stick it straight up your fucking ass. Nobody's fucking persecuting you, you fucking drama queen shit heads. Go live life as a member of the LGBT community for a while and then you'll know what persecution is.

Anyway,  Kevin Sorbet plays an evil, wicked horrible, persecuting Atheist teacher and forces a student by the name of Joss Whedon that he must conform to Atheist beliefs or DIE!!! JK, He'll lose 30% of his grade or some shit.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys that this movie is 100% propaganda, and works best as something to be mocked.

Drawback Productions is making this film the subject of its next riff!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 09:07:18 PM by WhyDontTheyLook »
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19459 on: November 27, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
Drawback Productions is making this film the subject of its next riff!
Sweet!!!!  :D ;D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5191
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #19460 on: November 28, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
Currently on Day 4 of a 5 day Thanksgiving vacation and in between doing random stuff around my house I've been on a random movie marathon..
Mostly Comedy, SciFi and a couple Action:

Die Hard 1 & 2
Airplane 1 & 2
2010 Year we make contact
5th Element
The Big Lebowski
Tron
Total Recall
Space Balls
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Not in this order, just random ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:40:58 PM by RVR II »

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19461 on: November 28, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
Currently on Day 4 of a 5 day Thanksgiving vacation and in between doing random stuff around my house I've been on a random movie marathon..
Mostly Comedy, SciFi and a couple Action:

Die Hard 1 & 2
Airplane 1 & 2
2010 Year we make contact
5th Element
The Big Lebowski
Tron
Total Recall
Space Balls
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Not in this order, just random ;D
All fantastic choices... except 2010 and The Fifth Element, to both of which I am fairly indifferent.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19462 on: November 28, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
5th Element mixed Action, SciFi, & Comedy all into one movie pretty well.
2010 I think was much better than 2001 as it didn't seem so drawn out.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19463 on: November 28, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »
I've heard a lot of people love 2010 because that it answered questions. I remember reading Leonard Nimoy's biography I am Spock a long time ago and he pointed out that 2010 just took all the mystery and intrigue out of 2001 by trying to answer all the mysteries it posed. I find those mysteries to be interesting, and sometimes I just like having to come up with my own answers.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19464 on: November 28, 2020, 06:04:31 PM »
I've heard a lot of people love 2010 because that it answered questions. I remember reading Leonard Nimoy's biography I am Spock a long time ago and he pointed out that 2010 just took all the mystery and intrigue out of 2001 by trying to answer all the mysteries it posed. I find those mysteries to be interesting, and sometimes I just like having to come up with my own answers.
That it did. Mostly the long psychedelic trip in the latter part of 2001 was just .. bizzare ???

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1232
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #19465 on: November 28, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
I just got done watching Tenet...

I'm not sure if I'm overthinking this or underthinking it. Everything about the movie suggests that predetermination is a thing, yet the characters are aware that there isn't anything actually stopping them from acting contrary to what they already know they did/will do. Every time anyone brings it up it, it's dismissed with something along the lines of "we don't know what will happen if we change things and we don't want to find out". The fact that the bomb hadn't already gone off at the time the movie started means either they will be successful at stopping it, or no one will ever try to set it off.

In the end, the protagonist effectively recruits himself, which he would never do if he hadn't been recruited... by himself.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #19466 on: November 29, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »
The Assassin ( 2015 )
This film got a lot of critical acclaim,  and won a lot of awards. Amazon kept suggesting it, so I bought it. Unfortunately it is one of those mvies that got it's critical acclaim by being an arthouse film. With a running time of 1 hour 45 minutes, most of it is  long long establishing shots. In bad movies we would call this padding. In this movie I suppose it is supposed to be atmosphere?  The story is a bit hard to follow. I think I got about half f it. There are fights, but not a lot. This is a film where footage of characters silently walking from one end of a field to another is longer than any of the fight scenes. I guess I can understand why some critics have called it a masterpiece, and why it would earn Hou Hsao-Hsien the Best Director award at the Cannes Film Festival. But it is not something for anyone looking for an action film.

The Spy Who Loved Me ( 1977 )
Had United Artists not bought a 50% stake in Danjaq S.A., the parent company of Eon Productions, then it is unlikely there would have been a next James Bond film. The Man With The Golden Gun had been a franchise killer, being universally panned by critics and underperforming at the box office. Most studios would have decided to cancel the series. Instead, they were convinced by producer Albert Broccoli to double the budget of the past Bond films, and to build Bond it's own massive soundstage for Eon to build the bases for villains in. No more faking the size of an underground base with optical trickery.  United Artists was willing to do this, but let Eon know that the studio had another franchise waiting in the wings to replace the Bond series, the Pink Panther which had officially graduated from a couple of sequels featuring the Crusoe character to a full fledged franchise, and starring former Bond ( sort of ) Peter Sellers.  If the next Bond film was not a blockbuster hit, then that would be it for the series.

Broccoli had more than that to worry about. His partner, Harry Saltzman,  was no longer attached to the series, so for the first time Broccoli would be producing a Bond film by himself.  With two novels left to adapt, Saltzman had decided to announce The Spy Who Loved Me would be the next Bond film. Eon's contract with the Fleming estate specifically forbade Eon from adapting the novel, but allowed them to use the title of the novel for an original Bond story. ( Fleming was very displeased with how the novel turned out, and if not for obligations to his publisher,  would have preferred it never seen print. He was reluctant to include it in the film rights sold to Eon, but they convinced him to do it, fearing a rival producer could obtain the rights at a later date. He agreed on condition that they could only use the title and not the contents. ) The reason why Saltzman picked the novel for the next Bond film was because it was the last of the two Bond novels left to adapt, and if they did Moonraker first, it would be too tempting to end the struggling series with all the novels they could legally adapt having been turned into movies. Having one novel left was incentive not to give up. But it also meant that Broccoli had to come up with an entire original plot.

There was one problem Saltzman had created that Broccoli knew he could easily remedy.  Saltzman was contacted by a young director by the name of Steven Spielberg who was eager to direct a James Bond movie. At the time he was in post production of a major motion picture called Jaws, so Saltzman agreed to a meeting just prior to selling his share of Danjaq to United Artists. Broccoli didn't want a new director who was unfamiliar with the Bond franchise,  especially an American.  He wanted one of the previous directors from the series.  And the only one available was Lewis Gilbert who had directed You Only Live Twice, which Broccoli thought was a perfect fit as that film also ignored the source novel and instead had an original plot.

Broccoli and his writers began brainstorming what the plot of the next film would be. Broccoli wanted the best elements from all the past Bond films. One of those elements was SPECTRE and its leader Ernst Blofeld.  Initial thoughts were to give Blofeld a machine capable of causing natural disasters, to capitalize on the popularity of disaster movies. But then Spielberg's movie became the biggest box office hit of all time, and Broccoli wanted the next Bond film to take place in the sea and have Blofeld feeding his enemies to sharks. Wanting to use a henchman from the novel called Sol Horror who had steel teeth, Broccoli decided it he could do it without violating the agreement with the Fleming estate as long as the characters name was changed.  Naturally the characters new name would be Jaws.

They eventually had a script that was basically a remake of the film version of You Only Live Twice replacing captured spacecraft with captured nuclear submarines, but for the same reason, that SPECTRE was being paid to instigate a world war between the United States and Russia.  They were nearing completion of post production when Broccoli learned Kevin McClory,  who owned right to the character Blofeld and organization SPECTRE, didn't want to lend either to Eon. The film ended up delayed for nearly a year as Eon and McClory negotiated over allowing SPECTRE and Blofeld to be used.  Eventually realizing McClory was no going to give them Blofeld no matter what was offered,  and ordered the script rewritten with a new villain called Karl Stromberg. Production was postponed so long that Broccoli was already reading treatments for Moonraker, which was going to follow the plot of the novel where the Moonraker was a nuclear missile the villain, a former Nazi commander, was firing at London out of retaliation for Germany's defeat in the second World War. In the treatment the stakes were raised  so that the villain was using the missile to trigger a nuclear war between the United States and Russia,  killing everyone on the surface while he and people he deems genetically superior survive in his massive bunkers. Broccoli decided to use that as the motive for Stromberg to cause WWIII, so that he and genetically superior humans could survive in his underwater cities.  So basically the plot for this movie was stolen from past Bond films, and a future Bond film.

It didn't really matter. All Broccoli cared about was having Bond travel from one exotic place to another,  and going from one action scene to the next. And since this time around the Bond film would not be using anything from its source novel, it was nothing but formula, filled with bits you recognize from past Bond films. For example, Stromberg killing his assistant by dropping her through a trap door into a shark tank is very reminiscent of Blofeld dispatching henchwoman Helga Brandt by dropping her via a collapsing bridge into a pool of piranhas. At least Helga got a lot of scenes before Blofeld killed her for failing to kill Bond. Not only didn't the assistant get any lines ( other than AAAAAAH! ) but Eon never even bothered to give her a name.  She just exists just to fulfil a Bond movie trope.

So far On Her Majesty's Secret Service is the Bond film with the most action scenes. But this movie showed signs that Broccoli was willing to increase the action content. While the obligatory chase scenes are mostly lumped at the midpoint of the film, and the obligatory battle between an army of henchmen and Bond's army takes place near the end, this is the first Bond film to have a substantial action scene in the film's cold opening. The second ski chase in the Bond series, which has impressive stunts and culminates with the most famous stunt in the entire  series where Bond skis off of a cliff and seems to be falling to his death. ( If you haven't seen this film, then no spoilers as to How Bond gets out of that situation. ) It has one of the best theme songs in the series, and for the first time Broccoli allowed for a theme song that didn't have the name of the film as it's title. Nobody Does It Better became such a big hit that I didn't realize it was the theme song for this movie until I watched it on it's first network television broadcast. This was also the first Bond film to use Eon's brand new Bond soundstage where the set for the interior of Stromberg's massive submarine eating tanker was built. Oh, and to top all previous Bond film, Broccoli gave the villain two bases to destroy in the third act.

A lot of Bond fans consider this close to if not the best of the original series films. I wouldn't go that far. While it is a vast improvement over the previous film, I don't think it would even be in my top ten favorites.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3188
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19467 on: December 05, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
LOTR, all 3 movies in one sitting.

The 4K HDR remasters of the LOTR movies look so gorgeous I couldn't stop watching them last night, started around 8 pm and took disk 6 out after 7 am.  The box set has the theatrical cuts on 3 discs and the extended cuts on 6 discs.

It's not just the massive improvement resolution, the HDR really brings out details in the bright and dark areas, and the new color grading blends the effects and live action better than ever, it was just mesmerizing to watch. 

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 488
« Reply #19468 on: December 05, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
I was kind of watching the Ong Bak trilogy, only the first one was worth a damn, I lost interest in the others and started doing chores around the house.  But the first Ong Bak (my 2nd viewing) was great, I forgot how funny it could be in spots. The action was bone-crunching wild.

Really should have made the top 50 in the LoC.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 05:41:22 AM by George-2.0 »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6652
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19469 on: December 05, 2020, 06:10:08 PM »
The Great Muppet Caper - Even better than I remembered!