Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1698565 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2475
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19380 on: August 04, 2020, 09:22:47 AM »
Finally got around to watching One Cut of the Dead via an episode of The Last Drive In. This is probably my favorite live-action Japanese movie of all time already. Looking forward to watching it again and catching anything I missed.

At the same time, I'm glad I watched it as part of Last Drive In. If you're not familiar with the show, its Joe Bob Briggs hosing movies in the same style of his older broadcast shows like Monstervision on TNT, so he interrupts the movie a few times to give background trivia and analysis (and sometimes rambling weird non-sequitur stories). Its hosted on Shudder (the same place you can see the movie uncut right now in the US). Unlike most of the movies they show, this is very recent, and very vulnerable to being spoiled, so they were very careful about it and don't interrupt the movie for a long time (not only important to avoid spoilers, but to avoid killing one of the big selling points of the film, the "one cut" part is completely intact).

LOVED One Cut of the Dead. Very important to know as little about it going in. The less you know, the better it is. I saw it on a blind recommendation because Jay Bauman of RedLetterMedia said it was in his Top 3 movies of the year. It's a great fit for its genre, but if I told you what other films it fits in with, it would be a massive spoiler. I give my recommendation as well, of course.

There's also a short film sequel to it done completely in quarantine called Mission Remote. Nowhere near as good as the original, but it's neat to see them all together again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QGi6Y6NZLI

I did come very close to mentioning the movie my wife and I watched right after that it reminded us of, but it would have given a lot away.

Going to have to check out Mission Remote when I can.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3036
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19381 on: August 04, 2020, 06:04:48 PM »
Netflix vs. The World

2019 documentary about Netflix.

2nd half is good, first half is way too slow with too much filler, it starts with a history of the internet up until the mid 90s that is about 10 minutes too long.

Oddly enough it is streaming only on Amazon Prime....

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1009
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #19382 on: August 05, 2020, 12:15:18 AM »
Night of the Demons - Meh.. it was pretty meh. There's a little bit of skin but otherwise it's a pretty forgettable horror flick. It's nowhere near being as memorable or as good as any of the other great horror films of the 80's like Evil Dead or Friday the 13th.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6411
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19383 on: August 08, 2020, 06:44:53 PM »
Watchmen (2009) - I haven't seen this for a few years, and was afraid with the advances of superhero movies in the meantime this wouldn't hold up. But it still is really really good. It taking place in the 80s helps with that. My friend who has never read the comic watched it with me for the first time and she enjoyed it too, so it held up on it's own. The performances are all good, and it's adherence to the comic panels are fantastic. Zack Snyder gets the deconstruction of superheroes much better than he ever got actual heroes. And unlike some, I have no problem with the ending change from the comic. I get why they did it. And it makes sense in the story. But more importantly it still gets across Ozymodias' plan. Because the nature of what the enemy was is less important than how megalomaniacal the plan was and that he was attempting to fool the whole world into peace.

Offline Lesbunny

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1044
  • I just kinda want to die all the time
« Reply #19384 on: August 08, 2020, 08:49:01 PM »
Watchmen (2009) - I haven't seen this for a few years, and was afraid with the advances of superhero movies in the meantime this wouldn't hold up. But it still is really really good. It taking place in the 80s helps with that. My friend who has never read the comic watched it with me for the first time and she enjoyed it too, so it held up on it's own. The performances are all good, and it's adherence to the comic panels are fantastic. Zack Snyder gets the deconstruction of superheroes much better than he ever got actual heroes. And unlike some, I have no problem with the ending change from the comic. I get why they did it. And it makes sense in the story. But more importantly it still gets across Ozymodias' plan. Because the nature of what the enemy was is less important than how megalomaniacal the plan was and that he was attempting to fool the whole world into peace.

One of the criticisms that pops up about that movie is that it has a gratuitous sex scene in it and like... yeah? That's in the book, and the movie is a really damn good recreation of the book. Is it pointless? Yes. Then again, so is Alan Moore.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #19385 on: August 09, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars ( 1985 )
Old import disc, released around 1997, and it still works.
This was the third in the Lucky Stars franchise. The first was Winners and Sinners, which I have somewhere but currently cant find. Winners and Sinners was one of two Jackie Chan films that Golden Harvest briefly syndicated for North American television broadcast along with the Bruce Lee films. Supposedly they needed 8 films for a syndication package, and including the two Game of Death films and a Bruce Lee documentary, Golden Harvest only had six Bruce Lee films and rounded it off to eight films with Young Master and Winners and Sinners. Anyway, that is how I first saw Winners and Sinners, shown on Saturday afternoon in a time slot where they usually aired one of the brutal Shaw brothers films. Winners and Sinners was Sammo Hung's idea as an all star film that basically allowed stars to each contribute no more than a few days of work. Sammo Hung and comedians Richard Ng, Stanly Fung, John Shum and Charlie Chin played petty crooks who become friends in prison and decide to form a cleaning business when they all get out. The rest of the cast were all guest stars, including Jackie Chan as police detective, Chan was only supposed to be in the film for a few scenes, but went overboard,  turning one into an epic car chase with Jackie on a highway in nothing but roller skates, dodging cars and rolling under a moving truck. It was my favorite of the Lucky Stars films with a lot of gags that sort of worked. Winners and Sinners was a success, so Golden Harvest asked for a sequel. Most of the cast ( including those with guest roles ) returned for My Lucky Stars playing different characters. This time Chan plays another police detective who while in Japan working on a case when his partner ( Yuen Biao ) is kidnapped. Chan reaches out to his friends he grew up with in an orphanage to help him, which include Sammo, Ng and the other principle comedians from Winners and Sinners ( but playing different characters ). Most of the film from that point on is the antics of Sammo and his friends as they travel to Japan, and Chan only shows up again for the climax when Sammo and the others help him rescue his partner from the gangsters.  For the third movie Sammo decided to do a real sequel. The same cast returns playing the same characters. Once again Jackie and Yuen Biao are in guest starring roles and only shows up for a couple of action scenes. This time around  Sammo and the gang head out on vacation at a beach resort in Thailand. The second half of the film takes place back in Hong Kong, and has  the police asking the gang to allow some states witnesses to stay in their apartment while they hunt down the assassins sent to kill them. Chan is midway through the film in a scene where he, Biao and Andy Lau ( in one of his first films ) get into a fight with a group of drug dealers. He returns for the climax where the assassins end up in the same community center as the Lucky Star gang. An epic fight was planned between Chan and an assassin played by Richard Norton, but only half was filmed when Chan injured his back. The ending of the film was rewritten so that Sammo fought both Norton and another of the assassins using tennis racquets. Comedy wise these films just keep getting worse. Almost all of the humor in this film is the Lucky Star gang trying to trick women into removing their clothing or allowing them to grope  them.  They also steal comedy routines from The Three Stooges and Monty Python. Only two gags work in this film. One where drinks are being shot out of Sammo's hands by the assassins in the climax, and another where the gang trick their female house guest (  Rosamund Kwan ) into getting into a tub and wetting her silk nightgown by faking a housefire. (  What was funny about this scene is the reaction of John Shum's character when he finds out the gang is doing this. )  The action scenes in these films ( at least the first three ) is always above par. There is even a very brief fight scene between the gang and Michelle Yeoh ( this was only her second film ) who plays a judo instructor. However, this time around the Lucky Star gang are rarely included in the action scenes, with the exception of Sammo. In the final scene they all hide in another room until the assassins are beaten. So basically this is a film you could enjoy, as long as your DVD player has a fast forward function.  Not just for the excellent fights, but for this...

The Transformers: The Movie ( 1986 )
Now that I am caught up with my superhero movie collection, I decided it is long overdue for me to get back to my Monty Python collection. The very first home movies I bought, way back in the days of VHS, were the Monty Python films, first the actual movies, then moving on to their solo work like Time Bandits and Yellowbeard. My collection moved into laserdiscs in the 90s, and on to DVDs by the 00s. Which of course created a bit of a dilemma. Do I count the VHS and laserdiscs as part of the collection, or do I upgrade the films to DVD and Blu-ray? I mean, I have these films in my library, just in a format I no longer use. So would getting the same movie twice be a waste of money? Well, what does motivate me to buy the same movies again would be if either there is a picture upgrade, such as a full widescreen presentation over the cropped full screen VHS versions. Or longer edits. Or extras previously not available. One film I meant to have in my collection was Transformers: The Movie. Of course, when I first planned to add the film, the other Pythons had not been in so many other movies, and by that time I was only missing a couple. So I was more than willing to spend good money on an animated film just because Eric Idle did a voice in it. Even though a friend who was not only a Python fan but a Transformers fan rented the movie and we watched it together, so I knew that Idle was barely in it at all.  But I kept finding other stuff to buy. I was never really motivated to buy a copy of Transformers: The Movie, and the few times I was, the film was out of print and selling on Amazon for over $150 for the used copies that were left. Shout Factory recently re-released the film, so I finally got it.

The thing is, I never watched any of the transformer cartoons, nor read any of the comic books. The only reason I knew they existed was via those overplayed commercials. Toy cars you unfold into robots. So basically this movie meant nothing to me when I first watched it, and still doesn't.  Yes, I know a lot of major characters from the animated series were killed off in this movie. But I could not tell which ones were major characters being blown up, and which were just random background robots. This is one of those films that doesn't give a crap about catering to an audience that may not be familiar wit the series, so characters show up without any explication as to who they are. This is not a standalone film. You need to have watched the series to know what is going on and to enjoy the story. So why did the producers of this film kill off major characters as if this was the series finale? The extras released with this disc explain. The cartoon series was created just to promote the toys. It was the cartoon series and comic books that created the story of the Transformers, including which characters were more important than the others characters. Hasbro had already released a second line of Transformer toys, and were getting miffed that they were barely in the cartoons while the already discontinued first line of toys were still the main characters. The movie was created to clean house, and get rid of the discontinued characters while introducing the new line of characters. Apparently children were so traumatized by the deaths of their favorite characters, which in turn infuriated parents across the country,  that  characters killed off in the unreleased G.I. Joe Movie were edited out, or claimed to have survived in newly added voice overs. I mean, whatever happened to the good old days when you could kill Bambi's mom and parents wouldn't threaten to sue?

A few observations of this film from a non-Transformers fan.  So space is filled with civilizations consisting of nothing but robots. So how come when they transform, they transform into Earth vehicles?  Did the whatever-it-is that built them know that one day they would go to Earth and need to disguise themselves as the current model cars? And why does the leader of the bad robots, Megatron, transform into a gun that one of his other soldiers has to pick up and shoot? Couldn't he just save a step and transform his arm into a gun? The film opens with a planet of robots being destroyed by a world eating robot called Unicorn. Before the planet is destroyed we see the population includes children robots? Why? Metal isn't organic. Those kids will never grow. It's not like the robots had sex and birthed new robots. So why would a civilization of robots create immature children sized robots?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19386 on: August 10, 2020, 02:10:41 PM »
Thor (2011) - I haven't seen this in a while and was wondering if it holds up. I still found it entertaining just like I did back then. It's a lot simpler of a story than we have come to expect from superhero movies, but that's what the MCU movies needed to be at the time in order to establish the characters and franchise. And I'll take a simple story done decently that allows for character development better than a complicated story told badly.
I didn't remember the running gag about Thor getting hit by vehicles and slammed into windows. I wonder if him hitting the windshield of the Guardians' ship in Infinity War is a reference to that?
Odin calls Mjolnir "a weapon to destroy and a tool to build." I wish we saw him building something with it at any point. Maybe just hammering nails in a fence or something during the farm scene in Age Of Ultron.
While it is a shame that Idris Elba has such a small role in the MCU, he does a good job giving necessary gravitas to the role of Heimdall. Which in turn helps the first Thor movie be taken seriously when it so easily have been too goofy.
As much as I like Loki as a villain, I do think he goes a little too maniacal and kill hungry at the end with trying to genocide the Frost Giants.
A lot of people complain about Kat Dennings character, and I get it. She is unnecessary, and she's just a trope comic relief character. But as MST3K and Rifftrax fans we've seen a LOT worse.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3036
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19387 on: August 10, 2020, 02:38:08 PM »
Watched a few that were new to Disney+ last night.

The Peanuts Movie (2015)

Meh, the stories were good, but the voice performances were lacking in personality.

Prince of Persia: The Sands Of Time (2010).

Complete lack of chemistry between the leads, action sequences that start out good but most of them went on long enough to get boring.  Some of this seemed so familiar I think I may have seen it before but forgotten about it, and I'll probably forget I watched it again, it's that good...  >:D

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2475
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19388 on: August 11, 2020, 07:40:43 AM »

If you haven't watched his stuff before, I think you'd like Dominic Noble's videos on this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p1xPWN8vxSA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p1xPWN8vxSA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zaK06XxaUBQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zaK06XxaUBQ</a>
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19389 on: August 11, 2020, 11:09:56 AM »

If you haven't watched his stuff before, I think you'd like Dominic Noble's videos on this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p1xPWN8vxSA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p1xPWN8vxSA</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zaK06XxaUBQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zaK06XxaUBQ</a>
Oh I have, I've been a big fan of The Dom for a few years now.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 210
« Reply #19390 on: August 17, 2020, 12:06:26 AM »
Mr. Vampire ( 1985 )
This previous  week I read an article on disc rot, which began with the writer warning his readers not to throw out their DVDs effected by it just yet. One of the major causes of rot happened because the adhesive used to bond the disc together has aged and turned color. In extreme cases the laser can no longer see the data below, and the disc is no longer readable. However, other times the top layer of the disc is still readable while the laser can no longer penetrate to the bottom layer. This is the case with discs that suddenly stop midway through the film. The laser could read the top layer, but when it switched layers, could not read the bottom and stopped. The writer of the article said that blu-ray lasers were better capable of penetrating the adhesive and were still able to read the bottom layer.

A few years ago, while watching Mr. Vampire, I got about halfway through the movie when it returned to the menu. I  tried to start it again, but once fast forwarding to the where I had left off, it did the same thing and returned to the menu. I tried using the chapter menu, but it would not play past that point on any chapter. I switched to a different DVD player and it stopped at the same point. I tried it in my PC and the same thing happened. I read how the import discs were simply not well made and tended to suffer from disc rot. I later discovered a copy of Witch From Nepal also no longer worked. I couldn't bring myself to testing out the rest of my import DVDs. I had spent hundreds of dollars on them over the years, and simply didn't want to know how much of that money went to waste over disc rot. This summer I took a break in buying new martial arts films for my collection and decided to finally go through my import discs to see which ones still worked. I thought I was very lucky so far with everything still working. But that is because I was using a blu-ray player. The DVD player in my livingroom ceased working about a year after I got my first Blu-ray player, and it has doubled as the DVD player ever since. For all I now, most of my import discs are no longer playable on a standard DVD player.

Anyway, back to the movie Mr. Vampire. It's a comedy, but I didn't laugh at anything. But it still works as a Chinese horror film, centered around Chinese folklore of Taoist Priests. It was believed that if dead bodies weren't properly buried in their home villages,  they would turn into  jiangshi, a sort of cross between a vampire and zombie that hops around ( due to rigor mortis making them unable to move any other way,  ) and kills the living in order to absorb their lifeforce. Not only were Taoist priests the only ones who knew the white magic that could defeat a jiangshi, but according to folklore, some priests controlled groups of Jiangshi, which they would lead across country back to their home towns for burial. This movie also tackles the folklore about female ghosts who seduce young men, also to absorb their life force. The comedy comes from Ricky Hui and Chin Siu Ho as two goofy apprentices to a Taoist priest.  One who is infected by a Jiangshi and is in danger of turning into a Jiangshi himself. The other who is bewitched by a beautiful ghost.

The  Drawn Together Movie: The Movie ( 2010 )
Drawn Together, the animated series about celebrity cartoon characters  in a reality show where they all live in the same house, ( a lose parody of VH1's The Surreal Life )was cancelled after three seasons despite very good ratings, reportedly because Comedy Central could not defend two politically incorrect cartoons at the same time, and decided to sacrifice it in order to save South Park.  Two years after it's cancellation, Comedy Central agreed to finance a direct to video movie, based on the success of the Futurama direct to video movies. For the producers of Drawn Together, the movie allowed them to make a proper series finale, and gave them an opportunity to further insult Comedy Central, as well as taking a dig at South Park.  Many Drawn Together fans were disappointed with this movie. While not as funny as the series, it is still a suitable finale.

Tideland ( 2005 )
Finally got around to watching Tideland again. Perhaps Gilliam's most disturbing film to date. In fact, the least disturbing scene involves a mass casualty disaster that ends the film. But still worth seeing and never boring.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19391 on: August 19, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
Harry And The Hendersons - Still a lot of fun. Even back when it came out in 1987 I could tell it was very sitcom-ish. Not the least of which is that it has almost the same setup as the sitcom Alf, which had started a year previous and me and my family enjoyed a lot. The effects on the Harry suit are phenomenal and hold up 33 years later. John Lithgow as always is excellent and really elevates what could have been a very throwaway movie. The only real downside is how cliche a lot of the side characters are, in particular the daughter and neighbor are incredibly annoying. On the other side of the spectrum the son is a delight! His enthusiasm for everything that is going on, including the damage, is hilarious. I would also be remiss to not mention David Suchet as the big game hunter. He's a classic British actor, normally known for playing Hercule Poirot in many TV movies, and he's clearly having a ball playing the over the top gun toting villain with a French accent.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19392 on: August 19, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »
The Mill At Caulder's End (2014) - I finally got to see this! I was intrigued by it since I came across the campaign on Kickstarter. It's a gothic horror story done entirely with rod puppets. It's only 15 minutes long, but it's very well made for a low budget and it drips with atmosphere. The story isn't very elaborate, just a man coming to his ancestral home trying to deal with his family curse. It's all about the puppeteering, the camera work and the sets, which are all excellent.
It comes with a second short The Narrative Of Victor Karlocke which I liked just as much. And that one had the voices of Christppher Lloyd and Elijah Wood! I think the only reason that wasn't the main short was because they didn't have the budget to crop out the puppeteers dressed in black behind it like they did for Caulder's End.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19393 on: August 20, 2020, 09:31:59 AM »
Watched Aquaman again. It's still fun.
I really really hope James Wan does make his spinoff The Trench based on the Lovecraftian Deep Ones in this movie!

So the real lesson from Black Manta in this movie is that Queen of Fables was right: "Always end the blood line!"

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5211
« Reply #19394 on: August 22, 2020, 02:30:43 PM »
Live From The Space Stage: A Halyx Story (2020)- An indie doc that's rather touching at times, about a sci-fi rock band that performed exclusively at Disneyland for a single summer.  Directed by Matthew Serrano, but headed by Kevin Perjurer (Defunctland).