Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1673293 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 200
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19320 on: May 24, 2020, 10:40:54 PM »
Well, I was supposed to get a shipment of movies I ordered from Amazon a couple of months ago by  this past Wednesday the latest. But then I sent that used Monty Python set back to the third party seller Amazon used as fulfilment and reordered the set, this time directly from Amazon who claimed it was back in stock. But then they split my back order up so half would arrive with the Python replacement set, and the other half by Wednesday, then combined the entire order so that they will now arrive in the same box next Friday! That is assuming they don't all get stuck in some USPS facility for another month during delivery. I did get one film from a  third party seller weeks ago, but it is a sequel to a film Amazon has not yet delivered! So basically this is another week where I will be watching nothing but films from my library.

This weekend I decided to go by theme.  Beach movies.

Noon every Saturday I have pancake brunch while watching one of the MST3K episodes ( or a Rifftrax movie, Cinema Titanic episodes or Film Crew episode ).  So this week was Horror of Party Beach ( 1964 )
I went right into the weekly Martial Arts film, Beach of the War Gods ( 1973 )
Then right into Jaws ( 1975 ). I could not but help noticing the parallels between Mayor Vaughn, who doesn't want the beaches closed because it will ruin the economy, and denies there is even a shark problem, and Trump, denying the pandemic is as bad as it is and not wanting the country closed down. Jaws is still a great film, despite the fact I know when every scare is going to happen, which characters are at risk, and which ones aren't. The great thing about this film is two thirds of it take place during the hunt for the shark, so even though the horror movie part of the film has dated, it leads into a great adventure film that hasn't dated.
Next up, Spring Breakers ( 2013). It is not actually much of a beach film, and had I known I was doing this theme in advance, I may have watched this weeks ago and watched Blue Crush this week instead. I mean. the lead characters are in a beach resort town, so it sort of counts. Anyway, great movie that gets better every time I see it.
Finally, something I haven't actually in nearly a decade, and as far as I know never reviewed here.. Went To Coney Island On A Mission From God... Be Back By Five ( ( 2007). It wasn't until I was about to watch this film that I began to wonder why I hadn't done a Coney Island themed marathon instead. I actually have a bunch of Coney Island films, including Little Fugitive ( 1953 ), Speedy ( 1928 ), The Warriors ( 1979 ), A.I. ( 2001 ), Ric Burn's Coney Island ( 1991 ) and a 1943 Betty Grable musical called Coney Island. This film was an odd choice for a beach film as it takes place in the winter. It was basically a passion project for actor Jon Cryer, which he partnered up with director Richard Scherkman to make this low budget independent film. Scherkman's most prominent film, other than this, was Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies ( 2012 ), which was an Asylum direct to video mockbuster of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter made the same year. It is supposedly based on a real event Cryer had when he went down to Coney Island one day to investigate reports of one of his old friends had become homeless and was living under the Coney Island boardwalk. Although in this fictionalized version, Cryer plays a pawn shop clerk called Daniel. He heads down to Coney Island with another of his old friends, Stan, who is an alcoholic and gambling addict who owes the town bookie a lot of money, although that is all settled by the final reel as finding out their old friend is crazy somehow becomes incentive for Stan to straighten out his own life and marry his long time girlfriend. The plot is pretty thin, and most of the film is Daniel and Stan meeting different eccentric characters living and working in Coney Island. It has that unmistakable look and feel of a low budget film, with most of the actors contributing minor roles. For example, Ione Skye who's brief scenes combined could have easily been shot in a single day. I am pretty sure she and the other notable actors in this film only did it as a favor for Cryer, but only agreed to a few hours of work each. But as low budget as it is, I sort of enjoyed it. Maybe not as much as Spring Breakers or Jaws, but enough that I felt moved during it's ending, despite it being a bit forced and formulaic. Perhaps the best reason to watch this film is to see Coney Island prior to the hammer crashing down and most of the old Coney Island obliterated. The Thunderbolt Coaster is still standing. When this film was shot, there were still plans to restore it and open it, but instead Rudolf Giuliani ordered it torn down at the request of the Wilpons, who Giuliani had already built them their minor league stadium for the Met's farm league team, The Coney Island Cyclones at the tax payers expense. The site the stadium and it's parking lot went on was supposed to have been used to rebuild Steeplechase Park. Ground had been broken for the theme park in the 80s, but construction was being held up by a group of state senators who promised the site to Sportsplex. When Giuliani got into office, he broke the stalemate by first promising the site to Sportsplex and cancelling the 100 year lease the developer of Steeplechase Park had on the site, then around the time this film was being made, double crossed the state senate and used the site to build the stadium. Not a bad deal for the Wilpons. For a 10 million contribution to the Giuliani campaign, they got a $60 million stadium built for them, and a 100 year lease on the land which gave them Coney Island's biggest parking lot concession, all which earn the family about $100 million a season. The kicker was the Wilpons being against the Thunderbolt Coaster, which was right next to their stadium, being reactivated. So Giuliani had a minion of his, who he had given a high post in the building inspectors office, looked at it from the boardwalk and declared it unsafe, ordering it torn down immediately. The demolition crew and police were at the site within minutes. The coaster which was supposedly unsafe and about to collapse took days to tear down. When the owner sued the city, a judge ruled the demolition illegal and an abuse of power by Giuliani.  Other landmarks preserved on film in this movie include the Astro-Tower which met a similar abuse of power fate. It was ordered torn down by Bloomberg, most likely because it was eligible for landmark status a few months later. The Astro-Tower was torn down after an anonymous caller  to the buildings inspectors office claimed to have witnessed it swaying in the wind. None of the other million visitors to Coney Island that day saw the tower swaying. Never the less, Bloomberg ordered the amusement district evacuated, and had the tower not only demolished, but its sections taken immediately to a scraping company that had them crushed into metal cubes so it could never be reassembled. Not only is the Astro-tower still standing in this film, but it's spooky whistling sound is preserved. Every winter the wind would hit it at the exact angle that would cause it to make an odd moaning sound, which it rarely made at any other time of the year. Another thing Bloomberg got rid of was the underneath part of the boardwalk, which was famous enough to have a hit song written about it.  At his behest, the beach was raised and tons of sand dumped under the boardwalk so that instead of the boardwalk being raised, it was at beach level. This backfired during Super Storm Sandy when the storm surge was unable to recede once it breached the boardwalk, and the rest of the island remained flooded for days.  Then there are a few landmarks that developer Joe Sitt had torn down, including the Coney Island Bank Building and Henderson Music Hall, which are preserved in this film. Even Astroland is preserved.  No, this isn't Coney Island at it's best. Even the film The Warriors was not Coney Island at it's best. ( You can see a lot of the arson damage to the area in that film. ) But even shot in the winter, Went To Coney Island On A Mission... Be Back By Five preserves the visual record a lot that was lost, and what developers thought would be best replaced with upscale condominiums.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6295
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19321 on: May 25, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »
Orcs! (2011) - This was trying to have a lighter comedic tone and failed. The writing is bad and the acting is worse. Unfortunately since it's such a low budget production it doesn't have much action to speak of (except for a dull repetitive gunfight sequence at the end), and we only see a few orcs faces in makeup. Most are just guys in generic armor. The LOTR references are shoehorned in and obvious.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19322 on: May 27, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
One Cut Of The Dead - Oh wow, this was really interesting! I haven't ever come around this much on a movie while watching it like I did this film.
It's so difficult to discuss this film without spoiling too much of it. It's both about a zombie film and about the making of a zombie film. And not even in the way you might think based on the trailer and the premise.
This movie is split into three very distinct thirds, each about thirty minutes. And I wasn't that impressed with the first third. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Plus they were using the one take gimmick that doesn't work as well here as it does in movies like Birdman. And especially going in knowing that it's a horror comedy I didn't find that part all that funny (although the increasingly crazy director running around with a camera yelling "Action!" was hilarious). The second third is a little more interesting, although after the first third you wonder why it's structured like this. But it's the last third that makes it allllll worth it and made me love this crazy movie! It's also where the comedy really kicks in.
I would recommend this movie. But you have to watch it to the last part, otherwise you're not going to get it. And it is definitely worth your time.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2421
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19323 on: May 28, 2020, 04:29:56 AM »
One Cut Of The Dead - Oh wow, this was really interesting! I haven't ever come around this much on a movie while watching it like I did this film.
It's so difficult to discuss this film without spoiling too much of it. It's both about a zombie film and about the making of a zombie film. And not even in the way you might think based on the trailer and the premise.
This movie is split into three very distinct thirds, each about thirty minutes. And I wasn't that impressed with the first third. It wasn't bad, but nothing special. Plus they were using the one take gimmick that doesn't work as well here as it does in movies like Birdman. And especially going in knowing that it's a horror comedy I didn't find that part all that funny (although the increasingly crazy director running around with a camera yelling "Action!" was hilarious). The second third is a little more interesting, although after the first third you wonder why it's structured like this. But it's the last third that makes it allllll worth it and made me love this crazy movie! It's also where the comedy really kicks in.
I would recommend this movie. But you have to watch it to the last part, otherwise you're not going to get it. And it is definitely worth your time.

Erica and I are trying to get caught up on the current season of The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs, and this is one of the episodes coming up. What little I've heard is making me excited to see it.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #19324 on: May 29, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »
Suspiria (2018)

I was surprised to find this was apparently a critically polarizing film because while I have a few small issues with it, I found it to be a facsinating and counter-intuitive take on the horror classic.  I understood that it was a very different animal but I was surprised that the new one is also quite stylish, albeit in a very different way.  The style of editing and directing reminds me not of Italian grand guignol tradition of the original but more of 70s supernatural thrillers like Don't Look Now in terms of look, as well as the films of David Cronenberg.  While their is a body horror element to the movie, that aspect is more in the color choices, set design and approach to violence.  I'm not sure about my feelings about the ending which seemed to be going for some Lynchian editing choices (not in terms of shot-to-shot but in... I'm not sure how to articulate it but choppy frame rate, I guess) but I would have preferred something a little more visually traditional for its big blowout climax (although the blood explosions are far less impressive than all the other efects in the movie).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2959
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19325 on: May 30, 2020, 01:54:55 AM »
Suddenly Last Summer (1959).

Got my Blu-Rays from the Twilight Time going out of business sale and this was one of them.  The restoration job was great, it looks fantastic, and it's in it's proper aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

Incredible cast, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift. 

So many taboo subjects that are never actually spoken of, that could not be spoken of in 1959, but this was still considered shocking for it's time.  Seems even more shocking now for very different reasons, especially if you know it was only approved by the censors because it showed the horrible consequences of being gay, you die, people around you go insane... 

It is a bit too long, but the long windedness of some of the dialog is made up for by the acting so it never seems padded.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3035
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #19326 on: May 30, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
Suddenly Last Summer (1959).

Got my Blu-Rays from the Twilight Time going out of business sale and this was one of them.  The restoration job was great, it looks fantastic, and it's in it's proper aspect ratio of 1.85:1.

Incredible cast, Katharine Hepburn, Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift. 

So many taboo subjects that are never actually spoken of, that could not be spoken of in 1959, but this was still considered shocking for it's time.  Seems even more shocking now for very different reasons, especially if you know it was only approved by the censors because it showed the horrible consequences of being gay, you die, people around you go insane... 

It is a bit too long, but the long windedness of some of the dialog is made up for by the acting so it never seems padded.

We watched that not too long ago and found it to be bonkers and enjoyable.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19327 on: May 30, 2020, 05:28:14 AM »

Erica and I are trying to get caught up on the current season of The Last Drive In with Joe Bob Briggs, and this is one of the episodes coming up. What little I've heard is making me excited to see it.
Did you get to this one yet?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19328 on: May 30, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
Train To Busan - This was fantastic! I've been meaning to watch it for years, and have heard nothing but glowing praise for it, so I was a little afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it does. It doesn't reinvent the genre or anything. In fact it has all of the cliche tropes we have come to expect from this genre. It just does them all really really well. Okay, maybe it went a little overboard with the "asshole who gets other people killed because of his selfishness". But most importantly it does succeed in making the zombies vicious and terrifying. In fact, while this movie had a decent budget it didn't have nearly as much as World War Z, yet it did a much better job with it's zombie horde sequences. Making the mass of rushing zombies relentless and seemingly unstoppable.
The only other criticism I have with this movie is that while the rate of infection is almost immediate for most everyone, it does slow down for dramatic, or plot, convenience.
This is a must watch for anyone who likes zombie movies. Even if you are a little burned out on them like I am.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 934
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #19329 on: May 30, 2020, 09:13:48 PM »
By pure coincidence, I also just watched Train to Busan. I'd been watching the Snowpiercer TV show and was in the mood for something else train related. I concur, really good. Reminded me a bit of World War Z on a smaller scale. It did a good job of getting you invested in the characters. The zombie effects were superb, and extra creepy in the way they contort around. The train setting is really claustrophobic. Similar to the plane sequence in WWZ, stretched out to an entire film.

My only complaint is that it kinda drags towards the end. It reached a point where I thought they were at the end of the movie, and then it just kept going and going, seemingly for no better reason than to kill off more characters. Do yourself a favor, don't get attached to anyone. 

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #19330 on: May 31, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Train to Busan is a much better popcorn zombie movie than World War Z.  It doesn't do anything new or profound with the formula but its also super fun and it is easy to get invest in our heroes.

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 730
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #19331 on: May 31, 2020, 07:11:24 PM »
By no coincidence at all I watched Do the Right Thing (1989. Directed by Spike Lee) last night with my wife and older son. It felt compulsory.

I don't have the mental acuity at the moment to write a real review, but one observation really struck me as I watched. I saw this movie in a theater in 1989 when I was 13. At the time, my youthful energy and focus was all wrapped up in the young characters. Da Mayor and Mother Sister were tangential characters that I only really considered when they were on screen and even then without much understanding. As I watched 31 years later they were the most identifiable characters to be found. Da Mayor is like some postmodern philosopher informing everyone around him that there are no real truths. The PTSD breakdown of Mother Sister after having held things together with such grace for so many years is now the most harrowing and depressing moment of all to me. Her ability to rise and face the next day - still alive - having the inverse impact.

If there is a more empathic summation of the predicament we find ourselves in still - 31 years after it was made - I can't think of it right off hand.

Major thumbs up to the Criterion blu-ray, which makes those red/orange/yellow hues the movie is drenched in feel more oppressive than ever and conveys the heat and pressure everyone is feeling more powerfully than I have ever experienced in at least 20 viewings. The audio in the opening credit sequence where Rosie Perez dances, thrusts, punches and kicks her frustrations out to Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" is a speaker pounding punch in the face right out of the box.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #19332 on: May 31, 2020, 08:37:01 PM »
Well, this was another Saturday where I had to hunt for an open UPS store to return a used Monty Python set to Amazon. When I did that a couple of weeks ago it took the entire day to find one that was open. Since I knew which one was open last time, I knew it wouldn't take that long this time. But decided not to plan any films for the afternoon anyway.

But  this is also a weekend where for the first time in months I have some new films to watch.  One which is War for the Planet of the Apes ( 2017 ) which closes out my Planet of the Apes collection. All five original films, the recent trilogy, the cartoon series, the live action television series, and that thing Tim Burton did. My only problem with the film was that the apes don't really factor into the "War", that the way the villain meets his demise is not very satisfying, and the way the human army  is eliminated falls too much into plot convenience theater. The title of the film suggests an all out war between the apes and the last human army. You did get that in Battle For the Planet of the Apes ( 1973 ). And the previous ape film in the trilogy set things up for an all out Ape-Human war. Instead, we get a POW film. It's a great film, but a bit disappointing that it wasn't what I thought it would be.

I could have watched two new films this week, but not knowing how COVIC-19 will effect the next shipment from Amazon, I am going to ration out the new film for now. So instead, rewatched Kong: Skull Island ( 2017 ).  Just like with War for the Planet of the Apes, there is a general obsessed with killing an ape, so this week had a theme.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2421
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19333 on: June 01, 2020, 07:47:03 AM »

Did you get to this one yet?

Not yet. Might be a couple weeks at the rate we're going due to work hours.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1442
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #19334 on: June 01, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
By pure coincidence, I also just watched Train to Busan. I'd been watching the Snowpiercer TV show and was in the mood for something else train related. I concur, really good. Reminded me a bit of World War Z on a smaller scale. It did a good job of getting you invested in the characters. The zombie effects were superb, and extra creepy in the way they contort around. The train setting is really claustrophobic. Similar to the plane sequence in WWZ, stretched out to an entire film.

My only complaint is that it kinda drags towards the end. It reached a point where I thought they were at the end of the movie, and then it just kept going and going, seemingly for no better reason than to kill off more characters. Do yourself a favor, don't get attached to anyone.

I feel it's about 15 minutes too long as well
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)