Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1664324 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5852
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19095 on: January 23, 2020, 04:44:51 PM »
Since it was on the last How Did This Get Made podcast and it was at my library, I watched Master of Disguise, the ill-advised Dana Carvey vehicle.  Its a weird movie. Dana Carvey is a talented guy in terms of his mimicry abilities but holy shit was this movie confounding.  I feel like when they were filming this they assumed some of this would make sense after a trip to the editing room but it doesn't.  In fact, it is even more confusing when we see the end credits made entirely out of deleted scenes and bits and bites of other things to distract from the fact that without credits the film is about 70 minutes long.  Feels longer.  It really makes very little sense by human standards and while in theory the demographic was kids, I really have no idea what child would enjoy Scarface and Quint impressions.

Even stranger, I assumed this was created for Dana Carvey.  In fact, it was to be a Jim Carrey vehicle. 

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19096 on: January 23, 2020, 06:54:05 PM »
Ghost Shark 2: Urban Jaws - Just...WOWWWW, this was a whole lotta nothing! Not even the goofy kills that the first one had. Most of the kills in this are people coming in contact with water of some type, their eyes get red, and then water spurts out of their mouths. It's literally 25 minutes in to this 70 minute movie that we seen more than a fin of a ghost shark.
This makes Velocipastor look like...okay Velocipastor is still a bad movie, but it's better than this!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19097 on: January 24, 2020, 06:43:09 AM »
Since it was on the last How Did This Get Made podcast and it was at my library, I watched Master of Disguise, the ill-advised Dana Carvey vehicle.  Its a weird movie. Dana Carvey is a talented guy in terms of his mimicry abilities but holy shit was this movie confounding.  I feel like when they were filming this they assumed some of this would make sense after a trip to the editing room but it doesn't.  In fact, it is even more confusing when we see the end credits made entirely out of deleted scenes and bits and bites of other things to distract from the fact that without credits the film is about 70 minutes long.  Feels longer.  It really makes very little sense by human standards and while in theory the demographic was kids, I really have no idea what child would enjoy Scarface and Quint impressions.

Even stranger, I assumed this was created for Dana Carvey.  In fact, it was to be a Jim Carrey vehicle. 

I watched this a few years ago because it's one of my wife's guilty pleasures. I think one thing I can say about, as I've heard before, it did one difficult thing right. It made a fart joke actually kind of funny. I wish Brent Spiner were in it more, because he seemed like he cared.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5852
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #19098 on: January 24, 2020, 10:07:33 AM »
I think he was definitely there.  Gave more than the film deserved.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 844
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #19099 on: January 24, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
Bad Boys for Life - Fortunately, the hands of Michael Bay AFAIK had nothing to do with this movie... unfortunately that asshole had a cameo in the movie. Ugghhhh. Otherwise, this was a pretty solid movie. I'm not sure I'd watch it again but it was still pretty fun. There was an EXTREMELY well-written piece of foreshadowing in the movie when Martin Lawrence's character messes with the wiring in his ceiling fan. We get a pay off to that near the end of the movie. Will Smith is his usual, charming self. See, every other comedic role I see him in I can't help but think of him as the Fresh Prince. Of course... that was a long time ago, but that rather flattering stigma will be with him the rest of his life.

Anyway, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence were good, the movie was good, there was some very beautiful cinematography(which I admit is a little unusual for an action movie). I recommend trying to catch the movie at a matinee showing like I did.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19100 on: January 25, 2020, 12:34:37 PM »
Last night I watched the first Iron Man again after several years. It still holds up. The CGI is remarkably good (except for Iron Monger at the end). Tony Stark is a character that normally we wouldn't like, even with how charming Robert Downey Jr. is as him. It's because the movie frames his flaws as flaws. And then immediately not only humbles him but shows that he struggles when he's being held captive. Unlike in later movies where everything comes easily to him, his escape isn't easy. I do think Yensen's sacrifice feels forced, though. Given how in later movies Tony Stark is often his own worst enemy, it is fitting that the villain here is Obadiah Stane. Who isn't so much the opposite of Stark as he is what Stark was before he had a change of heart and became a hero.
This movie is why I hate the PTSD subplot in Iron Man 3. If Tony didn't get PTSD form the events at the beginning of this movie, I certainly don't buy that he would from the events of The Avengers.
Also, this has one of the only times it works for a movie to start out with a later sequence and then flash back to earlier. It's a pet peeve of mine, and so many movies do this for NO reason (Captain America, I'm looking at you). But in this it's only about 15 minutes of the movie, and it's all for character development.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19101 on: January 25, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »
I had the same problem with Iron man 3. I felt like too much stuff was dragging it down and keeping it from reaching its full potential as a movie. Iron Man 2 felt like it was trying all kinds of directions but ultimately failed because it couldn't settle on solid plot and story structure. I feel like you can skip IM 2 and 3 without harming the Infinity Saga at all. I think I like The incredible Hulk best out of all the MCU films I don't like... but I feel like I don't need to go back to it even after all these years.

I'm just wondering... will Morgan Stark become Iron Heart? I'm just curious, when it comes to the factor of brand familiarity will people even recognize Iron heart as part of the MCU? Because what the hell else are they going to call the next person who puts on the next gen Iron man suit?

Online wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 344
« Reply #19102 on: January 25, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
Midsommar (2019)
Well...predicable...saw almost everything coming well before it happened...slow moving and not anywhere near as disturbing as I was anticipating it to become. But even with all that, I was never bored by it and would rather watch a movie like this over a super hero movie any day.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19103 on: January 25, 2020, 10:24:00 PM »
Midsommar (2019)
Well...predicable...saw almost everything coming well before it happened...slow moving and not anywhere near as disturbing as I was anticipating it to become. But even with all that, I was never bored by it and would rather watch a movie like this over a super hero movie any day.
So I'm guessing you'd probably not like my choices on movie night.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #19104 on: January 26, 2020, 09:45:00 PM »
<Missing> ( 2008 )
Got this one as a mistake. Someone wanted to send me a Tsui Hark action fantasy film for Christmas that he saw a couple of years back and thought I would enjoy. But he  couldn't remember the English title. So he got on the phone with a Chinese dealer of Hong Kong import DVDs and Blu-rays, who was not very good at speaking English, and described the film to him, and was told it was this one. When the disc came in the mail, just a few days before Christmas, he could tell by the box art and the English language film description on the back that it was not the right film. But it did have ghosts, so he gifted it to me anyway. It turns out the film he didn't know the title for was Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon, a film I already own.

<Missing> will not be remembered as one of Hark's best films. In fact, will probably not be remembered at all. It was just a potboiler made between Seven Swordsmen and the first Detective Dee film. A young couple fall in love, and make plans to scuba dive at the ruins of an ancient lost city that somehow ended up at the bottom of the sea. The film suddenly cuts to a few weeks later, and the girl is at the funeral of the boy, who was beheaded in a diving accident, which the girl has no memories of. The film then becomes a possible haunting story as the girl attempts to unblock her lost memories to learn what happened to the boy, and befriends a mental patient who claims he is able to see ghosts. The gimmick of this film is that for it's first two thirds it never makes clear if there are actually ghosts, or if the powerful drugs that both the mental patient and eventually the girl take are causing hallucinations.  And then when it finally appears as if there was a happy conclusion to the film, it suddenly takes a twist that changes everything for it's final third. Their are twists that you don't see coming, and the plot does keep you guessing. But it just doesn't get that good.  I guess it is worth watching if you are a Tsui Hark fan, but that is just about it.

Venom ( 2018 )
Why the hell does this film exist? When the MCU became a success, every studio who had film rights to superhero characters thought of making their own cinematic universes. 20th Century Fox had the best shot at doing this. They had the rights to the X-Men, who had enough characters and villains to spawn off into many solo films, and also the rights to the Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer. But that all came crashing down as the Fantastic Four reboot they didn't need to make was terrible. It was around this time that Columbia Pictures, who owned the rights to Spiderman, announced they were spinning the franchise off into a cinematic universe, which would include Venom solo films and The Sinister Six. Of course, Columbia f%$ked up their chances at a cinematic universe by needlessly rebooting Spiderman, then finally giving Spiderman back to the MCU for another reboot.  Had they stuck with the Raimi films then they could have come up with some BS plot device to resurrected Venom and Brock for a spin off ( as they did with Elektra ) and not need a new origin story. Once rebooted, they would need to also reboot the origin story. But the MCU was not interested in redoing the Venom origin...….yet.  At some point they will adapt Secret Wars which is where Spiderman actually got his black costume from, which would later turn out to be Venom. So basically Venom could not be part of the MCU, and can not be part of any Spiderman cinematic universe. So instead we get an origin story without Spiderman, and no explanation as to why Venom looks and acts like Spiderman. But if Venom is not going to be part of any known cinematic universe, then why are Venom films being made? Columbia could have uses the resources to make more Spiderman MCU films, one every year instead of  every three years.

Venom has everything a superhero film should. But for some reason just doesn't work. Probably because with Columbia's history of continuously rebooting the Spiderman franchise, and this movie not being tied into any known cinematic universe, you just don't feel like investing yourself into the origin of a film series that probably won't be around that long. Perhaps the oddest thing about this film is the two mid credit sequences at the end of the movie. One introduces Woody Harrelson as Carnage. What balls to assume there would be a sequel, and to pay Harrelson for a guest role. I mean, there will be a sequel. They already started filming it. But any other studio would have cancelled the sequel based on the critical response the first film got. The second mid-credit sequence was a cartoon, and takes place during Spiderman: Enter the Spiderverse. Wait a second! You can't do that! The films aren't connected! You may as well had a promo for Men in Black International or any other upcoming Columbia Pictures release.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #19105 on: January 26, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »
I myself was not a fan of Venom. I always hate it(and find it SOOOOO annoying) when the protagonist resists against the plot moving forward. If you know anything about the Venom/Eddie Brock story line, then you know Eddie Brock totally accepted the Venom symbiote. As for the most common complaint... I don't give a fucking shit how they pronounce the word "symbiote"!!! It's totally immaterial to whether or not Venom is in fact a good movie. I mean... it's not... and if Eddie Brock had a slightly more anti-hero personality that would have helped keep this movie from retrograding every other five goddamn minutes. Also, some of the awkward scenes, like Eddie jumping into the lobster tank in the restaurant I feel could have been cut. A movie like this needed to be 100 minutes... tops.

Ironically, the problem I had with Venom was the same problem I had with Spiderman 2. The whole plot line of the reluctant hero/hero loses his super powers... is such bullshit and I find it unbelievably fucking annoying. In my opinion resorting to that trope is always bad no matter how it's done. Venom isn't bad, it's just... so annoying I don't ever want to watch it again.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #19106 on: January 27, 2020, 06:06:17 AM »
A movie like this needed to be 100 minutes... tops.

This movie was only 90 minutes. The ending credits were about 9 minutes, plus about three minutes for the mid credit sequence where he meets Carnage in prison, plus the ten minute segment from the animated Spiderman film promo. But the plot wrapped up around 85 minutes into the movie. For a second there I thought the DVD got the wrong run time, or I had accidentally bought one of those heavily edited versions they make for Walmart. Then I thought that maybe it was leading to a false ending where the villain makes a surprise return and there is a second climatic fight, or that there would be a short 15-20 minute adventure with Eddie and Venom to conclude the film. But instead he makes up with his girlfriend, gets rid of the thug who has been taking protection money from the bodega, and the ending credits began at 90 minutes.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 498
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19107 on: January 27, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »
Venom ( 2018 )
Why the hell does this film exist?

My favorite review of Venom: "It's the best superhero of 1998."

I saw it in theaters. It's, at best, a lazy Saturday afternoon Redbox rental. But what do we know? It made a billion at the box office, so their bets at a sequel paid off. Full disclosure, Venom is my favorite Marvel villain. They did him dirty in Spider-Man 3. They got Eddie Brock completely wrong. Once more, they get Eddie Brock wrong. However, they got the relationship between Eddie and Venom relationship entertaining enough to salvage it from being awful.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19108 on: January 27, 2020, 08:43:03 AM »

My favorite review of Venom: "It's the best superhero of 1998."

Oh dear God, can you imagine how bad the CGI would have been if this came out in the 90s?!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19109 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
Bad Milo (2013) - This was really good! It has a very silly premise: a man has to deal with the monster living in his ass that escapes and kills people. But Ken Marino really caries this film. The puppeteering and design of the colon monster Milo is a great mix of horrifying and somehow cute.
This definitely reminded me of Brain Damage (1988), and even parts of Basket Case (1982).