login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1787031 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6691
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #19080 on: January 19, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
All Cheerleaders Die (2013) - Wow, that suuuuuucked! Every character was unlikable, expect the main girl Maddy. I didn't care about any of them, or their relationships. The jock assholes are supposed to be unlikable, I get it, but they go so overboard with that. And when the girls come back to life as...vampires?...zombies? it's very unclear, they don't even have a real goal. They just keep going to school and being catty bitches. Had they gone after the jocks who got them killed then that would have actually been something. And it wouldn't have let the idiot head jock get such an advantage on them!
And this was supposed to be a "horror comedy"? There weren't really any jokes, other than one or two over the top gore bits. I will say the practical effects were pretty good, but the CGI is really bad.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 307
« Reply #19081 on: January 19, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
14 Blades ( 2010 )
Donnie Yen is a law official in the late Ming dynasty who is given a mechanical box containing 14 different blades, 10 which are different style blades to be used in battle, three to be used to execute anyone guilty of treason, and one to be used on himself should he ever fail a mission.  The box can also shoot out spikes, and shoot out tiny grappling hooks on the end of wires that can be used to pull the box and Donnie up onto walls and ceilings like Spiderman. Donnie uncovers a plot by a powerful eunuch and the emperor's uncle to overthrow the thrown by stealing the royal seal. He is framed and ends up on the run as an outlaw, while at the same time trying to steal the seal back before the villains can use it to overthrow the emperor. It does work well as an adventure film, and even the romantic subplot is decent. But the action is mostly confusingly shot. Out of the 14 blades, Donnie uses just one throughout the entire film. Occasionally we see a shot of gears moving inside the box, and occasionally the box flips open and fans out a selection of blades. But you always see the same rectangle blade throughout the film. You see more blades from the supporting character Eagle of the Desert who has both a regular saber, and a double bladed saber he throws like a boomerang at his enemies. Seems like a colossal waste to have a premise of a box containing 14 different blades and only using one of them.

Brightburn ( 2019 )
A couple of weeks ago I watched a film that was part of a trilogy that formed a cinematic universe featuring superheroes. I wont mention the films in that trilogy as the fact that they are tied into each other is a spoiler. But ever since the MCU, cinematic universes have been popular. James Gunn was part of the MCU, until Disney fired him for old tweets. Suddenly finding himself with some free time, he decided to create his own cinematic universe. A horror film that ties into his 2010 film Super where a divorcee decides to become a superhero despite having no powers. ( Nice companion piece to the Kick-Ass films and worth seeing. ) It's not really a spoiler to say this ties into Super because you can't really tell it is from watching the film.  A post credit sequence shows a crazy guy and his conspiracy theory YouTube channel talking about the character from Brightburn, then mentioning it's no different from the half man half fish and witch he mentioned on his other shows, after which briefly we see a bunch of photos behind him that include a blurry image of the Brightburn character, a blurry image of the fish-man, a drawing of the witch, a drawing of an alien, and a photo of Crimson Bolt from Super. Except it looks more like Daredevil than crimson bolt. Only die hard James Gunn fans would have surmised that Crimson Bolt was tied into Brightburn.  Which doesn't really matter. Shortly after beginning work on Brightburn, Warner Bros. snatched James Gunn up to write and direct Suicide Squad II, and more recently the stupid pills the Disney executives wore off and they rehired Gunn to write and direct Guardians of the Galaxy III. Directing duties on Brightburn went to David Yarovesky who took over for Gunn. In a recent online post, Gunn admitted that the ending credit sequence was a set up for a cinematic universe that would have included the other characters mentioned, but is currently mothballed because he is now busy working for both the MCU and DCU.

So what is Brightburn?The easy answer would be that it is the opposite of Superman. A spaceship containing a baby crashes near an isolated farm, and the childless couple living there adopts it. Ten years later the boy discovers he has super powers, but instead of becoming a hero, he becomes a psychopath who uses his powers to put on a costume and  kill anyone he doesn't like.  Or put it this way. Think of it as a mix of the 1978 Superman film, The Omen ( 1976 ), and just about any 1980's horror film. In fact, there is definitely a late 80s splatter film vibe here, especially when the unnamed antihero makes his kills, which are often cringingly gory. This was extremely low budget, so there are a lot of shortcuts, a lot of stuff happening off screen, and sometimes the special effects are not exactly up to par. But at 90 minutes, it is actually a fun film. Well, the sort of fun you got from those 80s horror films.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom ( 2018 )
Perhaps the only problem the Jurassic Park franchise had was explaining why people kept going back to the island where the f&%king dinosaurs lived. This film seems to solve that problem for future sequels, although you would probably doubt that as it was promoted as a film about the dinosaur island being ravaged by a volcano, and all the dinosaurs about to be cooked.  Actually, the volcano story is only the first half of the film.  The second half does something wise that will open the door for more original stories in the sequels. No more of the stupidity of smart scientists doing something stupid like making an island of dinosaurs, then continuously going back to it even though every time humans step foot on it they get eaten. A big deal was made about Jeff Goldblum returning to the series, but basically he is only on screen for about a minute.  Even though this is more or less a retread of everything from the first film, as were all the sequels, the Jurassic Park franchise is still thrilling.

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1195
  • Everyday ends with a tums festival!
« Reply #19082 on: January 19, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
Ready or not - this was actually really good. I understand that people have been taking the idea of a movie being subversive in a cautionary way lately, but I feel like the execution of that idea in ready or not worked pretty well. A woman named Grace gets married into a family that little does she know have to hunt her down. This was a pretty tense and suspenseful thriller. Actress samara weaving seems to have an excellent career in front of her.
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #19083 on: January 20, 2020, 03:03:40 AM »
Saw Joker. I knew I wasn’t going to like it, but I liked it even less than anticipated. The movie treats the joker as someone we should feel bad for and support. Then he gives a speech on the talk show that is blathering nonsense. But he’s still treated as the hero, as if he’s making some kind of valid point other than simply ‘the system has failed me’.  But we are given no alternative to ‘killing people in the street makes sense’.  That’s it. He’s always depicted as sympathetic, even after he flips.  At least in Fight Club the main character comes to his senses, but I don’t see how teenage fans of this film are supposed to not get the wrong idea.  It has no actual point to it, nothing it’s trying to say. It just wallows around for a while and then starts killing people because you knew it had to.

Wow, this is so incredibly off the mark, I don't even know where to begin. I understand not liking it and will support good reasons for it despite really enjoying it myself. But your reasons and expectations for the film are wildly unfounded. This is an anti-hero movie. An antihero is a main character in a story who lacks the typical heroic qualities of bravery, courage, morality, and the special ability and desire to achieve for the greater good. And you don't know why the Joker is depicted as sympathetic and deemed "a hero" by the corrupt society he's in despite him being an anti-hero in an anti-hero story? Did you literally walk away from the film thinking the filmmakers thought he was supposed to be a good guy?

That's like watching Breaking Bad and saying it's a bad tv show because Walter White is treated as sympathetic and isn't a good guy who does good things who blames everyone else but himself for his mistakes.

Or The Godfather is a bad movie, because we're given no alternative as to how the mafia should be toppled. Critique the genre, that's fine. To be confused by a whole genre? That's... unexpected.

Have you seen Taxi Driver? From the sound of it, you either have and hated it for the wrong reasons, or you haven't and are completely new to antihero films. The only word you would literally need to change is "Joker" to "Travis Bickell" and everything you said could be applied if you didn't get what either filmmakers are aiming to accomplish. Critics in the 70s had the same conversations then when Taxi Driver came out. A guy came dangerously close to killing the president to get the attention of Jodie Foster (literally the story of Taxi Driver). These movies are rated R, so it's not like they don't come with a warning label. People need to be held responsible for their actions and not blame a movie they saw. It's 40 years later, and this conversation is happening again. Yikes. I mean, people had the same concern about crime films in the 1930s which is how we got the Hayes Code (pre-ratings system) for older movies. They thought anti-hero films like the original Scarface would be a bad influence. Learn some history and responsibility, people.

Hey, I'm happy to have a dialogue about the film.  This will probably take a little while to get through, so instead of cramming everything into one post I'll try and focus a bit more.  At least that's my current intention, it could change. 

First, let's go over some examples you gave.  In Breaking Bad, Walter's obsession and greed end up killing him.  He's never able to leave it.  We relate to the character quite a bit, but ultimately his actions have consequences.  In the Godfather, Michael ends up going too far, and you see him turn into what he never wanted a part of.  You see him get sucked in, and it changes him.  He is sympathetic quite often, but he loses a bit of his humanity in the end, and ends up a real shitty father. 

As for Taxi Driver, you are correct in assuming that I didn't care for it much.  It's fine.  But Travis Bickle ends up dead.  His actions also had consequences.  Overall it was a more entertaining film, but that's just an opinion.

I don't mean to suggest that I need every movie to punish the bad guys, or to align perfectly with my worldview.  But the Joker acts as if it's trying to say something, or make some kind of profound point, but then never actually makes it.  It's close.  It's close to making a real comment about how our medical and social systems have failed a lot of people.  But it never quite gets there, in my opinion. 

Do you feel the film has a message, or a point?  Do you feel it doesn't need to have one, and like other Jokers, is fine to entertain with its own anarchy?

Thank you for taking the time to responding to my criticisms of your criticisms so well. I understand your point much clearer now. I think Joker is inherently a prequel, and, in that context, it answers much. As a stand-alone, I see how the movie could be seen as pro-anarchy much the same way so many anti-hero movie characters are often mistakenly idolized (Gordon Gecko, Scarface, Tyler Derden, etc.). One thing is true in every incarnation of the Joker: Batman always beats him. We've seen the consequences of his actions, and we've seen his comeuppance ad nauseum. As far as the filmmakers having a point, I think Lesbunny said it well as far as the problems with disenfranchisement in our society goes. But even broader than that for me, I thought it was an excellent deconstruction of Gotham's history. So, in that regard, its purpose is to answer how Gotham got to be so corrupt and in so much need of a hero with a little bonus "Where do Joker's henchman come from" too. It's essentially the Rogue One of the Batman series. The murder of Bruce's parents in the alley is the Leia cameo at the end, plus it gives us some interesting answers to questions we may or may not have had.

I hope I didn't come off too strong before. I've taken a nap and am feeling much better now.  ;D

All good. I guess the film makes more sense if you’re viewing it as a prequel, but I took it as more of a reboot, or something intended to stand on its own, which it doesn’t do very well. And after that there are issues of taste, where I just didn’t enjoy being with the character all that much, and we were with him for quite a bit. But I feel we’ve reached enough common ground at this point.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #19084 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:38 AM »
But I did watch Greener Grass yesterday and loved it. It’s streaming on Hulu at the moment. It’s a farcical critique of suburbia, and one of the strangest movies I’ve seen in a while. But strange with a purpose. Not just weird to be shocking, but weird to highlight the ridiculousness of relationships in certain areas. Loved it.

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #19085 on: January 20, 2020, 03:53:10 PM »
BTW the ending of Ready or Not reminded me of something I might see on an episode of South Park. No... not one of Kyles speeches.
"In all my years of conquest, violence, and slaughter, it was never personal. But I'll tell you now, what I'm about to do to your stubborn, annoying little planet... I'm going to enjoy it... very very much."
-Thanos

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1666
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #19086 on: January 20, 2020, 09:52:56 PM »
CATS for the second time
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #19087 on: January 20, 2020, 10:10:34 PM »
CATS for the second time
Did... did you like it?
-Thanos

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #19088 on: January 21, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
CATS for the second time
Did... did you like it?

I loved it, it's so bizarre and wrong and weird.  It's like they hired the perfect people to make a Cats movie and then gave post-production to Tim & Eric or something
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 625
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19089 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:25 AM »
CATS for the second time
Did... did you like it?

I loved it, it's so bizarre and wrong and weird.  It's like they hired the perfect people to make a Cats movie and then gave post-production to Tim & Eric or something

Gosh, I really need to see this.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #19090 on: January 22, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
Fun and Fancy Free

I needed to watch something that wasn't too long so I decided to watch the Disney film with the Jack and the Beanstalk story. I knew it was a double feature but I didn't know much about it.

The film has a framing device of Jiminy Cricket just... doing stuff. Talking to dolls and then watching puppets. And singing about being happy. And it is a film nakedly saying "Hey, lets just be happy." I'm actually surprised it came out in '47 as the framing device feels like it is a response to the war or the depression. Like its trying to pick the world up from a bummer time. And the world is still picking up the pieces, granted, but I guess it feels like this is designed to be a cheery salve to a hard time.

The first film is... fine. Its a sweet story about a circus bear named Bongo who finally gets free from the circus and tries to adjust to life in the forest. Its perfectly cute, its pro-slapping-your-loved-ones message aside, but I found it a bit slow, particularly the musical numbers. There's a fun fight where the hero of the story uses his circus skills to fight a rival.

The next part is the Jack and the Beanstalk segment. What I didn't expect was that the segment was narrated by popular ventriloquist Edgar Bergen. I knew of him and his characters Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd but not much beyond that. The segment begins with Edgar and his puppets being the only guests at a little girl's birthday party (weird) and Edgar tells the story with Mickey, Donald and Goofy in place of Jack. Mickey is here in bland cipher mode, a la Mario: not much of a strong personality beyond friendly and optimistic. Meanwhile, Donald gets to get dark, threatening to murder a cow while still remaining generally sympathetic. Goofy doesn't get to be as goofy as I would have wished. There's some business with a gelatin desert but that's the most of it.

It would be a perfectly servicable cartoon but two aspects help it: 1) the giant is just a big goof in a way that makes the whole affair fun. Though, with the exception of one funny bit, it introduces the idea that he can shapeshift and turn invisible and does little with it. 2) And this is the much better aspect is the Edgar Bergen narration. He tells the story in a conventional way but there are these funny little asides from Charlie that add a different sense of humour and while it is still very family friendly, it feels a little more irreverant than the cartoon itself and the two tones, while not exactly complimenting each other, work to make it livelier.

Overall its a pleasant watch and its nice to see a film that just so nakedly wants you to be happy while watching it.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 625
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #19091 on: January 22, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
the giant is just a big goof in a way that makes the whole affair fun.

I particularly like his portrayal as The Ghost of Christmas Present in Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
    • Facebook
« Reply #19092 on: January 22, 2020, 08:40:06 PM »
CATS for the second time
Did... did you like it?

Gosh, I really need to see this.

It's truly fascinating
Scottotd on Instagram

Offline Russoguru

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #19093 on: January 22, 2020, 10:04:39 PM »
It's truly fascinating
Lady from Werewolf: This is absolutely basinaiding.
-Thanos

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6691
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #19094 on: January 23, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
Velocipastor - Well of course I watched this! And of course it was bad. But not as unwatchably bad as I expected after a few low budget gimmick movies lately. It still drags on occasion even at only 70 minutes. The acting isn't as bad as I was expecting, though. This movie doesn't take itself serious, which helps a lot. Unfortunately it's only really sporadically funny.
The final fight with him in a goofy dinosaur suit against ninjas is hilarious. But it's only a few minute long. Just watch that scene on YouTube.