login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1731795 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5526
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18945 on: November 16, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
Casebusters-  Another Wonderful World of Disney tv movie that's also rather short.  This one stars Noah Hathaway and also a pre-Voyager Tim Russ and directed by, oddly enough, Wes Craven.  The music is easily the best part, though it ranges from standard 80s synth to actual licensed music, like Hall & Oates' Private Eyes and surprisingly, Weird Al's Eat It.  It's basically a standard kid's mystery movie, with the occasional narration by the kids' ex-cop grandfather (played by Pat Hingle).  Though the villain looks a bit like Lewis from Revenge of the Nerds, so it was hard to take him seriously.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6574
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18946 on: November 16, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
Funny you mention that, Lurker, I also watched a Wes Craven movie.
Vampire In Brooklyn - This was...interesting. It's not a good movie overall, but it has a lot of good elements to it. Most notably Eddie Murphy as the vampire Maximilian. He's fantastic. He's threatening when he needs to be, suave when he needs to be, and effortlessly cool. But he's a villain through and through, and the movie knows it. Her kills a cat and a dog (I have no idea how he kills the dog though. Blows it up somehow?). He's gleeful with his killing of humans to feed. And he is very dangerously manipulative to get what he wants. The movie is really effective in it's tension and horror elements, you can tell that a veteran of the genre like Wes Craven is behind the camera. The movie has good production value, and looks very nice (except for the cheap shadow transformation at the beginning, I don't know why they decided to resort to that). I even like the vampire makeup they give him near the end for the final confrontation.
  Where the movie really falls apart is the comedy. It's...not really a horror comedy. It plays like a straight horror movie, and the supposedly comic elements just crash right in like an unwelcome party guest. A joke here and there might have been okay, but this waaaay overdoes them, and most of the jokes aren't funny anyway. It feels like it wasn't written to be a comedy but when they hired Eddie Murphy they felt obliged to make it one. Except that Eddie Murphy is playing it serious as the main character, so there's no point to doing that. The only comedy bits he does do is as secondary characters that feel shoehorned in and staggeringly unfunny. Although the evil vampire as Father Pauly easily convincing the churchgoers to believe the twisted message "evil is good" seems very prescient in this day and age with evangelicals blindly following anything Trump says. Poor John Witherspoon (an actor I usually like) in particular is stuck with an unfunny caricature that feels kinda racist even in this movie starring and written by all African Americans.
  The movie goes out of it's way to establish vampires as a type of race, yet the ghoul Julius at the end becomes a vampire because he puts on Max's ring?! It's a poorly done tacked on ending. And Julius was nowhere near a likable or interesting enough character to justify following in a sequel so I have no idea what they were thinking.
  I would say it's worth watching if you want to see Eddie Murphy in a different kind of role. Just go in expecting a bit of a mess and you won't be disappointed.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 221
« Reply #18947 on: November 17, 2019, 09:54:09 PM »
Stormy Tempest: Caress of the Moss Monster ( 2015 )
And so we come to the last of the Stormy Tempest films. That is, unless I get the documentary on women in movie serials hosted by Stormy Tempest. But I still haven't made my mind up if that one counts as a superhero film. But this was the last of the Stormy Tempest films made by Nightveil Media. I still got three more AC Comics DVDs to get through, including the long delayed second part of the Ghost of Garganta saga. But for now, no more Stormy, unless Nightveil Media begins producing more films. There is still that Synn film that they apparently shot enough footage for a coming attraction but never released, and the Scarlet Scorpion film that is currently only available as a download, because only the first part was produced. But it appears this crowd funded studio ( yes, crowd funded by AC Comics readers ) has been inactive for the past three years, and does nothing more than release downloads and burned DVDs.

So, lets take a look at what may be the final Stormy Tempest movie. At least there was some attempt to clean up the continuity errors from the past movies. Stormy Tempest: Fight For The Future ended with Stormy, who was stranded in the 21st century after Gorlon Monks destroyed her time traveling spaceship, being captured by the bounty hunter Clayton the Sleeper who says she is wanted back in her own time by the authorities. However, in what is supposed to be the next movie, Stormy Tempest: Rogue Justice , she is brought to a cosmic court which she eventually escapes from, because she is now allies with Clayton? And then she escapes in her spaceship? Didn't quite match up with the events in Fight For The Future. So, this movie opens with captions that explain the events in Fight For The Future took place after the events in Rogue Justice. So  basically, Clayton wasn't capturing her, but rescuing her. By sneaking up on her and gassing her, then telling the passed out Stormy she had a bounty on her head. But never the less, it's supposed to be him rescuing her from the 21st century.

With that continuity error sloppily cleared up, director Bill Black launches himself into a brand new continuity mess. For some reason Clayton has brought the unconscious Stormy onto an alien planet, and is being shot at by someone when Stormy wakes up. I am pretty sure the original plan for was this film to take place immediately after the events of Fight For The Future, with Clayton and Stormy in a Florida swamp. ( Because almost all of these films take place in Florida, where the Nightveil Media "studio" and AC Comics is based. And where the previous movie took place.  ) But then someone discovered they could run the video through a filter that turns anything green into bright purple, so they decided, via added captions, that this will take place on an alien planet that looks exactly like the same swamp from all the past films, but with purple plants. Except, exactly why did Clayton remove the unconscious Stormy from the safety of his space ship, sling her over his shoulders, and bring her onto an alien planet?

The story: She and Clayton find themselves under attack by another law enforcer called Velocity Blaze, played by an actress who can actually act. A first for this series, or any of the AC Comics films so far. Meanwhile a moss monster pops out of the swamp and captures Stormy for some unexplained reason. And another first for the AC Comics movies, the moss monster has a decent costume. Or at least, the cosplayer AC Comics recruited from a convention had a decent monster costume.  It is the best of the AC Comic movies so far, but that is not saying much.

Man of Tai Chi ( 2013 )
We were talking about Keanu Reeves films this past week, and speak of the devil, the next film in my queue is this, the first and only film directed by Keanu.  At least he had the good sense to play the villain, who doesn't have to be on screen that much. The plot: Keanu runs an underground fight club that broadcasts the fights to wealthy subscribers, and often has the combatants fight to the death.  Tiger Chen plays himself. He is a Tai Chi student who accepts Keanu's offer to fight in his tournaments in order to raise money to save his temple, not realizing he will eventually graduate to the rounds where he will be forced to fight to the death. Karen Mok is a police detective determined to bring down the illegal fighting ring. And yes, you can se where this plot is going a mile away. But at least it has some really good fights choreographed by Yune Woo Ping. ( who choreographed Keanu in the Matrix films ) Although there was not much Yuen could do with Keanu's lethargic screen fighting style. Good film, but ultimately forgettable.

Higher Power ( 2018 )
Does this qualify as a superhero film like Wikipedia claims it is? Well it does have someone gain super powers, and then use it to prevent a plane from crashing. But the film then goes into a whole new direction, which I will not mention because it would be a spoiler. The plot: a recovering alcoholic who had abandoned his family after his wife's death is kidnapped, and wakes up in an alleyway to discover tech was implanted in his head which allows him to hear the voice, and instructions coming from a hacker. His first instruction, to pick up the gun left for him in a briefcase and shoot an innocent woman, otherwise he will have his daughters killed. And that is as far as I can go without spoiling the film, other to say the hacker who has implanted the tech in his head forces him to commit other crimes. This is one of those films where you don't know what is going on until the final reel. It is also a low budget film, which means a cast of unknowns, and very limited special effects. This despite the claim on the DVD cover that this movie comes from the producer of Transformers and G.I. Joe, and the visual effects artist of 300, Fantastic Four[/I] and X-Men Origins. ( They don't actually mention which Fantastic Four movie he did the effects for, which would not be so impressive if it was the Roger Corman film. ) There are some impressive effects in this film, but they are very brief, and probably stock. Much of the rest of the film has the usual cost cutting shots found in independent productions. It is a nice little film, but like most independent productions, not very thrilling, and more of something you respect rather than love.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5526
« Reply #18948 on: November 18, 2019, 11:41:14 AM »
The Journey of Natty Gan- Enjoyed this one more than I thought I would.  Stars Meredith Salanger and John Cusack. Set during the Great Depression and tells the story of a girl traveling cross-country to find her father.  It's the only Disney movie I've seen where a wolf attacks a paedophile.  Speaking of said wolf, it's amusing how quickly it becomes tame in the story. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: Spoilered again for caution.  Not sure if I spoiled too much.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:01:48 PM by The Lurker »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18949 on: November 18, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
The Wolfman (2010) - Benicio Del Toro is really good in this, but Anthony Hopkins...WTF?! Not only is he openly the villain (I could even tell that from the trailer), so there is no surprise. But he is so often seeming to rush through his dialog like he doesn't care.
As for the rest of the movie, it's not bad. But it is too slow at times. It is also way too dimly lit. Squinting does not equal gothic! Between the dark lighting and the muted colors, it feels like they wanted to make it in black and white but the studio wouldn't let them.
I do really like the werewolf design and the gore effects. And while the ending werewolf vs werewolf fight was silly and incongruous to the rest of the movie, it was fun.
Had this been successful enough to launch a connected monster cinematic universe, it would have been a much better start than the recent Mummy fiasco.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #18950 on: November 21, 2019, 04:18:33 AM »
It Chapter Two

Flung into the gorge of eternal CGI peril.

Halfway through I was at my absolute limit for CGI.  How can anyone stand this?

Do my eyes deceive me or is that Stephen King standing up and walking?  Did they CGI him walking?  Why would they do that?  Fucked up.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 538
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18951 on: November 21, 2019, 06:52:07 AM »
Do my eyes deceive me or is that Stephen King standing up and walking?  Did they CGI him walking?

Uhh, what are you talking about? Stephen King can walk. He wasn't permanently paralyzed or anything like that 20 years ago. Funny you had problems with CGI in a scene with no CGI. Lol

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18952 on: November 21, 2019, 09:03:15 AM »
Do my eyes deceive me or is that Stephen King standing up and walking?  Did they CGI him walking?

Uhh, what are you talking about? Stephen King can walk. He wasn't permanently paralyzed or anything like that 20 years ago. Funny you had problems with CGI in a scene with no CGI. Lol

No he can't.  He was hit in the back by a van when he was walking.  He's confined to a wheelchair because he's paralyzed from the waist down.  Everyone knows this.  I think about Stephen King every time I walk by the road.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1072
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #18953 on: November 21, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
I think It chapter 2 gets a disproportionate amount of shit thrown at it. I remember seeing it a few months ago and I really, really liked it. Scary as hell, great creature design. Sometimes CGI can ruin your movie, but not for It Chapter 2, the CGI actually properly enhances the horror experience. I felt a great mix of... not so much fear, but dread and sadness, which is a combination that works for me to make good horror.

I am pretty sure Stephen King can walk, I saw him on the Stephen Colbert show not too long ago and I didn't see a wheelchair anywhere or any need for him to be wheeled onto set.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3083
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18954 on: November 21, 2019, 10:33:35 AM »
I am pretty sure Stephen King can walk, I saw him on the Stephen Colbert show not too long ago and I didn't see a wheelchair anywhere or any need for him to be wheeled onto set.

It's kind of strange, I looked for videos of him walking but couldn't find any, but did see him moving his legs just fine while sitting in a chair during an interview.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18955 on: November 21, 2019, 10:57:05 AM »

It's kind of strange, I looked for videos of him walking but couldn't find any, but did see him moving his legs just fine while sitting in a chair during an interview.

He could have been using his hands to swing his lifeless, dangling legs.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 538
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18956 on: November 21, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »

No he can't.  He was hit in the back by a van when he was walking.  He's confined to a wheelchair because he's paralyzed from the waist down.  Everyone knows this.  I think about Stephen King every time I walk by the road.
Well I have great news for you! I hesitated to share this because I don't want to give them views, but here he is walking mighty strongly 4 years ago (skip to 0:40 seconds to see more than standing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbG8-L08CWM
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:57:26 AM by stansimpson »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18957 on: November 21, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »

Well I have great news for you! I hesitated to share this because I don't want to give them views, but here he is walking mighty strongly 4 years ago (skip to 0:40 seconds to see more than standing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbG8-L08CWM

Yeah I don't know.  TMZ is not exactly reputable.  That could be CGI.

I also heard King bought the van that hit him and used it as a totem to curse the driver to die on his birthday.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1072
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #18958 on: November 21, 2019, 10:28:54 PM »
I saw Frozen 2 tonight and I thought it was really good! You've got to remember that even though this is primarily a kids movie, there is plenty in this movie to love for Adults. The story is... kind of hard to follow, but it's heartfelt, emotional, and it's also very funny. The animation is staggeringly beautiful. Even though this is obviously CGI the characters are rendered beautifully, are so expressive emotionally and as a result I felt great empathy for all the things these characters were going through.

Remember also, this is also partly a musical. There is... one musical number that is a little cringe-y and the funny thing is I honestly don't know if they did that on purpose or... yeah, I'm pretty sure they did it on purpose.

So, I had a great time, I highly recommend this wonderful movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18959 on: November 23, 2019, 03:59:10 PM »
Another Wolfcop - This was fun, like the first one. It's a bit dumber, though, with a plot involving aliens for some reason. Leo Fafard is still good as Lou Garou, although he looks distractingly like Mark Ruffalo. Kevin Smith has a fun cameo as the mayor.