Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1730333 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18900 on: October 26, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
Sweetheart

Meh, it had a few things going for it.  Cool monster, but not enough.  Not much else come to think of it.  Won't watch again. 

Don't listen to me; I've seen way too many movies.  I'm unsurprised and unimpressed by anything.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6570
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18901 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02:10 PM »
Hell Baby (2019) - A horror comedy on Shudder. It leans much more in the comedy than horror, but unfortunately it's not that funny. Not terrible by any means, but there were only a few things I really laughed at.

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 220
« Reply #18902 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »
Stormy Tempest: Rogue Justice ( 2014 )
AC Comics has been around since 1969. No comic book company lasts 40 years without some sort of fan base. Although to be honest, the company was not familiar to me, even though I would frequent comic book shops that carried just about every publication. But it had enough of a fanbase that owner Bill Black decided to shoot movies featuring the company's female superheroines on video and release them on DVD. I have no idea how much money they made, but the new releases only stopped a couple of years ago, with the last couple of films only released as VOD. The AC movies rely heavily on the viewer already  knowing the mythos of the characters in it. These were made for the AC Comics fan, and who knows if they enjoyed them. I could imagine if, long before the MCU existed, Marvel had done the same. If back in the 80s Marvel had released a bunch of cheaply shot live action  videos on VHS. I am sure all of us Marvel fans would have rushed out to buy them. But if they were cheaply made with cosplayers cast just because they owned the costumes and not because of their acting, with cheap sets and props, and stories selected just because they would involve minimal effects, the novelty would wear thin pretty rapidly. Somewhere along the way the AC movies wore out their welcome. And I am sure this film is what did it.

You expect clip shows in Television. They were a way for television series that were goin over budget to save money by just shooting about five minutes of framing footage and filling the rest of the episode with clips from past episodes.  With the possible exception of dream episodes, all singing episodes and backdoor pilot episodes, clip shows are the most hated episodes of any series. So why the hell did Bill Black expect AC comics fans would want to see a clip movie featuring Stormy Tempest. In the movie, she has been captured and brought before  a galactic judge to answer for her past crimes. Of course this involves Stormy explaining her actions, which each time goes into a flashback to one of the past films, each lasting about 15 minutes and showing a condensed version of those movies. There is very little original movie here. Just Stormy talking to the judge for a combined five minutes of new footage, and the ending which does not match up with the continuity of the previous film where her spaceship was supposed to have been destroyed.  And remember, this DVD was released just after the previous DVD that recycled a 20 minute short and used it as the opening 20 minutes for the next movie.  I probably should have just fast forwarded through the parts I already had seen before, but I guess I am a gluten for punishment. I can only imagine the disappointed AC fans who paid for the next installment of Stormy Tempest films were to basically get another rerun.

Train to Busan ( 2016 )
The big decision. Do I watch the horror themed Asian film five days before Halloween, or two days after? Although next Saturday is closer to Halloween, I am sure by then I would no longer be in the mood. I had been buying martial arts films released by Well Go, and almost every DVD/Blu-ray included the trailer for this film, which is why I eventually decided to get it.

Way back when there was still a Siskel and Ebert, they complained about a zombie film ( I think it was Day of the Living Dead )and how tired they were of the genre. To them, Zombies weren't frightening because they shuffled along at a slow pace, and therefore were monsters anyone should easily get away from. It was amazing to them how in every zombie film, these snail paced terrors were able to kill off an entire cast of characters. Cut to Train to Busan which solves that problem by having zombies that run after their victims. Okay, so this wasn't a revolutionary idea in 2016. Energetic zombies had been in other films, most notably World War Z three years earlier. But it wasn't, and still isn't, the norm.

But what really makes Train to Busan a very entertaining film is that it takes the zombie apocalypse genre and mashes it with the old fashioned 70s disaster movie genre. In those movies, a bunch of characters were introduced, put into a life threatening situation ( such as a sinking ship, or a burning building ) and the guilty pleasure was watching as one by one a character in the group trying to survive got killed until the few survivors still alive were rescued. Train to Busan has all the characters you would find in the disaster movie formula. The guy in the group who caused the disaster and has to redeem himself. The villain of the film, who was almost always an executive who thought he had a right to live over everyone else, who gets his comeuppance near the end of the film after doing a cowardly act.  The old couple. The asshole who goes through character growth and becomes a hero. And I can mention a lot more I recognized from the formula. A disaster movie where the disaster is being trapped on a train with man eating zombies.

Lucy ( 2014 )
This week's nighttime movie is Lucy, an exceptional 50s era story about a housewife who finds herself in the middle of a Cuban/American conspiracy to keep her off of the stage of the Tropicana Night Club where she is sure if she got to perform at, would make her a star. Oh, wait a second, that's not the plot. Actually, Lucy is a thrilling sports film about an amateur psychiatrist who will do anything, and I mean anything, to keep Charlie Brown from kicking a..... Sorry, wrong plot again. It's a musical about a girl with a blimp who befriends Neil Diamond, Lou Diamond Phillips and Diamond David Lee Roth... Nope. That's not it.Okay, as it turns out, Lucy is a science fiction fantasy about a girl used as a mule who received an accidental overdose of the drug she is transporting, which turns out to be some formula that gives people super human powers.  In this case, amplifying her brain power to the point where she begins to have god like powers.

By now I am use to the Wikipedia list of live action American Superhero films adding new films every now and then. Sometimes independent films like All Heroes Must Die which didn't get the publicity of an MCU film. Sometimes films most people didn't know existed like Superbuddies. And the odd action film that involved characters with superhero style powers. Films that were under the radar until someone realized they should be on the list and added them. Then it's up to the moderators to evaluate if the films qualify for the list, and remove whatever doesn't belong. If it lasts the month, then they probably decided it qualified. Although it is possible something remained on the list for months without them noticing. Wikipedia isn't just set up so that anyone could submit content, but that anyone could also edit it. If a movie is removed from the superhero list, it could mean a random visitor decided it didn't belong and deleted it himself.

So basically, if a movie is added to the list which does not have an obvious costumed superhero, then I look up the trailer on YouTube to see if the film appears to have either characters with powers, or advanced tech he can use to fight crime. So last month when Wikipedia added a bunch of films to their superhero list, I watched the trailers, then ordered them from Amazon. Perhaps I should have vetted them more. I assumed that Lucy was an American film. It was on the American superhero list. It was in English. I remember it getting tons of promotion and it's stars doing the talk show circuit. And it starred Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. That had to be a Hollywood film, right? Wrong. This is a French film. The Wikipedia list erred again. ( Oh, and BTW, someone just added the Tarzan films. So the list continues to grow. )

As I said, French film. Which means there is a lot of artistic crap going on instead of normal storytelling. The director of this film is very fond of cutting away to stock footage to make a point. Lucy is captured by bad guys in the opening of the film, and it cuts to two seconds of footage of a leopard taking down it's prey.  And so on. Just as Train to Busan uses a classic 70s disaster movie formula, this seems quite like an early 70s Science Fiction formula. For a brief time, somewhere between the Planet of the Apes films and Star Wars, most of the science fiction films were intelligent over being nothing more than showcases for effects.  A film like this would be exactly what you would expect in those years, although with much cheaper effects. I wouldn't call this a superhero film. True, Lucy aquifers powers, but she also harms and sometimes kills innocent people. She is more like a monster than hero. ( and yes, 70s horror movies were briefly intelligent as well. This ending when John Carpenter proved you could make a lot of money with just a serial killer with a knife, kicking off the 80s splatter film era. ) The only reason why I would put this into the sci-fi genre over the horror genre is because of the way the film ends.  Otherwise it's a nice film which could have done away with the constant stock footage. Okay director, we get it, you think your a genius.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 10:14:04 PM by stethacantus »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18903 on: October 28, 2019, 01:42:26 AM »
Train to Busan-yeahhh!!!!!   The zombies RUN and they are CRAZY.  Nobody does zombie extras like Koreans.  Intense.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18904 on: October 28, 2019, 06:33:48 AM »

As I said, French film. Which means there is a lot of artistic crap going on instead of normal storytelling.... Okay director, we get it, you think your a genius.
Reminds me of this:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I9y9lSMLK2U" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I9y9lSMLK2U</a>

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 380
« Reply #18905 on: October 28, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
A Thief in the Night (1972)
Read some article on recommended/rare/unknown horror movies (none of which I considered rare or unknown) that had a link on the side to a list of Christian acceptable horror movies that I clicked on out of curiosity and “The Thief” series was on that list.
“The Thief” series was made in the 70s and early 80s and shown mostly in evangelical Christian churches to try and scare youth with threats of hellfire and damnation if they didn’t believe and do things in the correct evangelical way (reading comments on Youtube and Amazon reviews, it seems to have worked really well). The article claimed that the series featured rock music (well, Christian rock, so Pat Boone-ish like pseudo-rock I expect) and horror movie special effects. The series is said to be the inspiration for all those “Left Behind” movies and Kirk Cameron.
I first became aware of the series in high school. One of my best friend’s mother was a member of some church that believed the rapture was coming on “date A”. When that date came and went, it was changed to “date B”. Then “date C”. And so on until the cultish leader of the church who was picking those lottery numbers died. Most visits to my friend’s house involved his mother giving us posters she wanted us to put up at businesses and in school trying to get people to come to her church and watch “The Thief” series. Never put up a single poster (but I really wish I would have saved some) and never went her church.
When I went to college, the dorm cafeterias would shut down on Sundays and all of us dorm dwellers had to go off campus to eat. There was a just off campus church that advertised free pizza on Sunday nights. The rumor was that they locked you in and preached to you for several hours if you decided to go. One Sunday a couple of friends and I got, well, let’s just say inebriated, and decided partaking free church pizza sounded like a good idea. Not sure if we were actually locked in, but somehow we ended up getting coerced into watching one of the movies in “The Thief” series. We laughed and riffed and didn’t make it very far into the movie before being asked to leave.
So while I had some prior knowledge of this movie series, I had long forgotten that it existed.
After that long preface, my review:
Movie opens with our star waking up and news on the radio that people all over the world have disappeared without warning. Her husband’s electric razor is still running in the sink, thus implying that he too has been raptured.
Then we flash back. Oh my. 70s clothing, hair, sideburns overload. Our star (Patty) is listening to some afro-ed kid give a sermon about fire and brimstone and the rapture coming soon followed by a “rock band” singing a song with lyrics that were virtually word-for-word the sermon we just heard. (“Rock band” in quotations because it was kind of like the “rock” you might hear on the Brady Bunch, only far less catchy and far more depressing.)
Cut to Patty and 2 friends (at least I’m pretty sure Patty is one of them- the characters were all really hard to differentiate as about the only defining character trait that any of them had was the guy with sideburns- don’t recall his name, but every time he was in a scene I could say “hey, it’s the guy with sideburns”) walking down a midway with carnival rides and food booths and talking about afro preacher kid’s sermon. One of the girls decides to go back to the youth center (I guess carnivals in the 70’s had youth centers for some reason- a revival tent would have seemed more appropriate as the youth center appeared to be the inside of a church) to learn more about this rapture thing while Patty and her other friend make fun of her and go off down the midway where sideburn guy and his friend are introduced as they creepily hit on Patty and her friend.
Cut to a scene at a lake where people we may have been introduced to (not sure) waterski and then sideburn guy and his friend and Patty and her friends on the shore listening to afro preacher kid preach about the rapture again.
Scene with Patty at church with the preacher preaching about how the stories in the bible are just stories and shouldn’t be taken literally.
We learn that sideburn guy is an EMT and that his friend’s name is Jim and Jim works at a zoo. Scene of Jim working at the zoo where he gets bitten by a cobra, rushed to a hospital where he’s attended to in the ambulance by sideburn guy. In hospital we learn that Jim can’t be given anti-venom for some reason and that his only hope for survival is a blood transfusion from some guy who has been bitten by venomous snakes multiple times and lived (was hoping we’d go down a snake handler path, but sadly we didn’t). Then many cuts in between Jim in a hospital bed while preacher and Patty’s friend pray for guy giving his blood to arrive in time and a plane that we assume is carrying said guy. Back and forth- prayer, plane, prayer, plane, prayer, plane. We know time passes because we see a number of different clocks and watches in between shots of prayer and plane.
Apparently Jim lives and then marries Patty. We learn this because we see a montage of still pictures of the wedding and the beginning of married life- Patty learning to cook, Jim turning his nose up at her cooking, Patty smelling flowers and laughing, both Jim and Patty smelling flowers and laughing etc. Montage set to music that sounds an awful lot like the opening piano part of that Motley Cru “Home on the Range” song.
Another scene at the church with a visiting evangelical preacher ranting that the stories in the bible are not just stories and if you don’t submit and believe the way he believes, then you won’t be raptured. Jim submits. Patty doesn’t.
Someone’s little sister who attended the evangelical preacher’s sermon (might be Patty’s little sister, but again, really tough to keep track/care about who is who) comes home to find no one in the kitchen and a pot boiling on the stove and immediately assumes the rapture has happened, that her family was taken but not her, freaks out, and starts screaming. Mother runs in and calms her down. (Scary demented scene, but not for the reasons that were intended.)
Scene from the beginning of the movie repeats. Patty wakes up to the rapture. Jim gone. Razor running in sink. Radio informs us that the UN has taken over all the governments of the world and not to panic. UN army wears armbands that say UNITE on them which is an acronym for something that I didn’t pay that much attention to. People required to get tattoos of 666 in binary on their right hand or forehead in order to work or buy food. Because UN credit card something something.
Long montage of Patty going to different stores and not being able to buy anything due to not having a tattoo. Sign in each window stating you can only shop if you have your tat, but Patty keeps going into the stores anyway.
Patty gets in line to get her tattoo, reconsiders, and ends up at the church with the “stories in the bible are just stories” preacher who admits that he regrets trying to teach people instead of scaring them like he should have been doing. UNITE soldiers burst in and arrest preacher and Patty.
While in jail, Patty learns preacher has acquiesced and gotten his tattoo. Patty escapes. Steals a UNITE van. Calls a friend and agrees to meet her friend and sideburn guy at the dam just outside of town. Long driving scene with a longer scene of Patty running across the dam to get to her friends. Driving and running scenes set to music that sounds like it was from a spaghetti western. When she gets to her friends, she learns that her friend and sideburn guy have tattoos. Patty tries to run and gets pushed off the dam by sideburn guy.
Then Patty wakes up to the scene that started the movie and was repeated about 2/3s of the way in and the movie ends.
So what I learned- if you believe in one set of very specific beliefs and take the bible literally, you will be killed, but killed humanely and painlessly and everyone else who believes the same way as you will killed in the same way. Scaring children is the right thing to do because the result is that they will no longer question anything or seek to learn anything except what you want them to know. If you’re a non-believer life will go on pretty much the way it is after all the believers are humanely killed, but you’ll have to get a tattoo in order to buy things and to work.
The promised rock music was restricted to one song at the beginning and it was totally void of anything that would be considered a horror movie effect.

A Distant Thunder (1978)
First sequel to A Thief in the Night.
IMBD lists this as 1978. Copyright on the movie itself said 1975.
We learn that most everything from the first movie except the scene that was repeated 3 times of Patty waking up and learning that the rapture occurred was all a dream.
Patty has been captured by UNITE and is being held prisoner in a church along with a lot of other people who have refused the UN tattoos.
Lots and lots and lots of preaching in this one. And lots and lots of contradictions.
Leader of the group of prisoners in the church (might be a minister- sure does get awfully preachy at times, but he’s never really identified as such) first tells Patty that she should get her tattoo because it will make her life easier. And then every other scene he’s in throughout the rest of the movie is just a long variation of “don’t get the tattoo no matter what because you’ll be damned for all eternity if you do”. Why the change? Never explained.
The movie actually starts with admitting that the rapture is never really mentioned in the bible and that it comes from an evangelical interpretation of a couple of bible verses. And then most of the sermons throughout the movie are about how the rapture is clearly identified in the bible and you better believe in what they bible says and only read the bible and take it literally. In between sermons we get scenes of Patty and friends reading and discussing books that are not the bible but instead are interpretations of the 2 verses that may or may not be about the rapture. We even get a “rapture map” pamphlet that “really lays it all out there”.
Movie flashes back and forth between church prison in present day and the past showing how Patty came to be captured and end up in church prison.
Passing time throughout the movie is portrayed by chess pieces painted the colors of the horsemen of the apocalypse, hinting that each are arriving, but nothing happens in the movie that really corresponds to the showing of the chess pieces and the Revelations reading about each.
A UNITE officer gives a sermon that sounds almost exactly like every other sermon in the movie except he replaces “Jesus” with “United Nations”. Ending of said sermon finally takes an evil turn when he ups the stakes to “accept our tattoo or else we’ll kill you”. Church prisoners start having their names called 4 at a time and taken out and executed. Only 4 at a time done to scare people and give them time to reconsider getting their tattoo. 
Patty tells sideburn guy and sideburn guy’s girlfriend of her dream (i.e the ending of the first movie where she was pushed off the bridge by sideburn guy) and sideburn guy laughs and promises he would never hurt her. Scene repeats itself 3 or 4 or 5 times with slight variations throughout the movie.
Various scenes of preachers preaching rapture and Patty and her friends and her grandmother discussing and reading books about rapture interspersed with what little actual plot there is.
We get a few radio reports of end of times stuff happening like war and famine, but the only thing shown is a throw away scene where Patty’s house is destroyed by an earthquake. Only repercussions are that Patty has to move to another house, of which there are plenty since about half the population was raptured.
Patty’s 2 friends she’s been living with are caught by UNITE and taken to the hospital where they call Patty to warn her. Scene at the hospital where a mother is refused care for her baby due to not having a tattoo.
UNITE soldiers come after Patty. She escapes, pushes a soldier into the lake, picks up his Tommy gun and attempts to shoot him in cold blood as he swims away, but the gun jams. She steals a UNITE van to spaghetti western music, calls sideburn guy and his girlfriend, agrees to meet them at their house, sees UNITE soldiers standing all over the neighborhood and out in front of their house, gets out anyway, and is arrested as sideburn guy and girlfriend now have their tattoos.
Back at church prison, Patty’s name is finally called. Patty is hauled outside where she sees a guillotine and is surprised by sideburn guy, sideburn guy’s girlfriend, and another friend (let’s call her Betty, but I have no idea what her actual character name was). Earlier in the movie Betty had claimed to have acquiesced into believing what she was supposed to believe. Betty’s name had been called in church prison in an earlier scene and was assumed to have been executed, but we now learn that at the last minute Betty decided to get the tattoo because while Betty believes, her interpretation of what to believe is not one hundred percent correct. Sideburn guy, sideburn girlfriend, and Betty all try to talk Patty into getting the tattoo, but she refuses. Sideburn guy holds Patty’s head and forces her to watch her only remaining non-tattooed friend get beheaded to end the movie (beheading implied and not shown).
So what did I learn- the rapture isn’t specifically mentioned in the bible but if you loosely interpret a couple of passages, it’s there man, it’s there.  The bible should be taken literally. Except when it should be interpreted as something that’s not technically literal. And there is only one correct interpretation even if that interpretation sometimes contradicts itself. If you believe in that interpretation you will be killed, but killed humanely and everyone else who believes exactly the same way as you will be killed at the same time. If you don’t believe in that specific interpretation, life will go on pretty much the way it is, but you’ll have to get a tattoo that will be used by UN run stores as a credit card and not getting this credit card will result in you being beheaded. Scaring people into getting a tattoo is evil. Scaring people into unquestionably believing what you want them believe is not evil.
No Christian rock or Motley Cru-like piano pieces, just lots of spaghetti western music. Some earthquake effects but nothing I would consider horror movie-ish. More befuddling then the first movie in that the first movie had a more unified message with far less contradictions.
Scary that the message that was meant to be taken deadly seriously was “believe the way we want you to believe, don’t question anything, say the right magical incantation, and you’ll be happy when you’re painlessly killed by our god”, but nothing in this one nearly as real life horrific as the scene in the first movie where they scare the little girl into thinking her parents and family and friends are all going to die and leave her to fend for herself. (Really wanted that scene to end with a reveal that it was a story that Ernest Borgnine was telling his grandson.) 
2 more movies in this series. Not sure if I’ll finish. Entertaining in the way that bad movies are, but creepy in that they were intended to be viewed as something serious.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18906 on: October 28, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »
Princess And The Frog (2009) - This was really good! The animation was gorgeous, even by Disney standards. Tiana makes a much more interesting "princess" protagonist because she is willing to work for what she wants. And as a fan of jazz the music was a lot of fun. Dr. Facilier was a great threatening but charismatic villain.

Monster Brawl (2011) - I'm not a fan of professional wrestling, and unfortunately this was pretty much just that, rather than the Celebrity Deathmatch that it clearly wanted to be. Most of the makeup was pretty good, with the notable exception of Swamp Gut, which was a very noticeable fat suit. If you are a fan of wrestling then maybe you'll get something out of this, but I largely found it boring and the announcers obnoxious.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:31:43 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18907 on: October 29, 2019, 10:59:15 AM »
Green Room

Cool punker movie with music.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18908 on: October 29, 2019, 11:07:44 AM »
Bloodsucking Bastards (2015) - This was pretty good! A fun horror comedy about an office peon having to deal with vampires taking over the office. It stars Fran Kranz, and he's really good here. Between this, Cobin In The Woods, and You Might Be The Killer, he's an actor I should pay attention to. Everyone else is good too, especially Joey Kern as his slacker coworker.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18909 on: October 29, 2019, 02:27:57 PM »
Netherbeast Incorporated - This was just pretty boring. Only a few really funny bits. And aside from the premise the overall story felt very very padded. Probably would have made for a much better short (I think it might have been based on a short).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18910 on: October 29, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »
Elvira: Mistress Of The Dark - I haven't seen this in ages. Now I remember why. It's just not very funny. Her jokes are intentionally lame, I get it, but it still makes that much of the movie...well, lame. A lot of the other humor in this isn't that good either. The best joke is probably the picnic where she gets all the stuffy conservatives horny. It also doesn't help that her love interested guy is so generic and has the acting ability of a 2x4. It's a shame, because while Cassandra Peterson isn't the best actress, she has charisma and her Elvira character is fun when she's just being irreverent. If the movie had just been an hour and a half of her abusing men who sexually assault her, that would have been much more fun.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18911 on: October 31, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Killer Sofa (2019) - So this was...interesting. It's not as stupid as I thought it would be. The parts with the recliner (yes, they call it a recliner the whole movie, not a sofa) are hilarious and well worth watching it for. Unfortunately the rest of the movie is rather slow and takes itself too seriously.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18912 on: October 31, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »
Clownado (2019) - This was sooooo much worse than I thought it would be. Amateur acting, effects and production values worse than a YouTube review show. Worst of all pretty much everyone is an unlikable character. It's not even really a Sharknado clone like you'd think from the title, it's far lazier than that.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1065
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #18913 on: November 01, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Terminator: Dark Fate - God dammit!!! Enough with the Terminator movies already!! They ceased having anything fun or enjoyable to offer over 25 years ago!!! For the last three movies it's been like the world's worst goddamn tennis match where we either beat the machines or give in into the inevitable. The dynamics have NOT changed enough where more movies are justified.

TO BE FAIR, there are some interesting ideas and some good scenes and even some genuinely funny lines here and there in the movie. They were at least TRYING to make a good Terminator movie, and for that, this movie has my respect. However, it is very difficult for me to recommend this movie. There just isn't enough substance. The new additions to the cast are good. Linda Hamilton is awesome, but there was a point where every time she said "fuck" or some version I almost felt like it was being forced. There was a good reason Arnold was back and it was pretty cool.

In the end, I admit maybe I was unbelievably naïve to think this movie was somehow going to be the fresh shot of espresso this franchise needed... alas I was wrong. Getting tickets to a sequel weeks ahead of time is sometimes like playing the roulette wheel. Chances are you're going to put your money on red and it's going to come up black.

So in the end in my unqualified opinion as a barely there amateur film reviewer is this... Terminator Dark Fate is a BIG step up from the previous three entries in the Terminator franchise (Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Genisys)… but then again after Genisys most anything else is bound to look better. If you really need to see it, please I beg you, wait until it hits dollar theaters.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18914 on: November 01, 2019, 10:57:32 AM »
Drive Angry (2011) - I didn't get to this on Halloween day like I planed, but I watched it today. Still a favorite. This movie is awesome, and it amazes me how it didn't do well in theaters and isn't talked about more.
William Fichtner as The Accountant is an absolute force of nature here! He even made my personal Top 25 Badass list. You could argue that Cage as Milton is even more badass in that he does more action, but Fichtner is such a cool, collected, effortless badass that is even more impressive.
The only real flaw in the movie is some mediocre CGI, but it's very minimal.